ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Adrian Cronauer the Inspiration for Good Morning Vietnam

never knew he was a pitt native or went to pitt. actually surprised to hear of his political leanings, the movie made it out that he was your typical anti-war communist sympathizer.

You remember the movie differently than I do, then.
the movie, he was dismissed from the army due to being friends with a VC (the young kid who blew up the bar). you don't remember that part of the movie? It was the last hour of the movie..

Reactions: pittdan77
Oh. I just thought they were making a point about the madness of war.
read a quote from him just recently and he said he wasn't anti-military, just anti-stupid, which I took as a shot for the US involvement in the Vietnam war.

He was a staunch supporter of a few republican candidates and actually worked for the pentagon I believe. he had an interesting life..

read a quote from him just recently and he said he wasn't anti-military, just anti-stupid, which I took as a shot for the US involvement in the Vietnam war.

He was a staunch supporter of a few republican candidates and actually worked for the pentagon I believe. he had an interesting life..

I could care less about political affiliations but I'm all for anti-stupid. That article mentioned his work at the Pentagon. He certainly lived an interesting life.

I'll further that point. We're burying a good friend of mine on Monday. Another Vietnam vet with an insanely aggressive cancer. His war stories were amazing but I think he got by on his wits and a lot of good fortune. He was as conservative as they get but would have absolutely agreed that the war was an unbelievable waste. I'm pretty sure anyone involved would have to agree.

I could care less about political affiliations but I'm all for anti-stupid. That article mentioned his work at the Pentagon. He certainly lived an interesting life.

I'll further that point. We're burying a good friend of mine on Monday. Another Vietnam vet with an insanely aggressive cancer. His war stories were amazing but I think he got by on his wits and a lot of good fortune. He was as conservative as they get but would have absolutely agreed that the war was an unbelievable waste. I'm pretty sure anyone involved would have to agree.
the recent documentary on the war, forget the name of it but think it was the one recently on PBS, was truly incredible. not to go off on a political rant but a lot of quotes and documents from McNamara and his opinions of this being an unwinnable war only to see us invest more soldiers into this for years and years. well it is heartbreaking and sickening as I think I've ever felt when watching something on TV.

OK, no more talk on Vietnam.. sorry to hijack the thread.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT