ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Andor

MarshallGoldberg

All Conference
Oct 23, 2017
There was some Andor discussion in The Rings of Power thread but that's been a while.

Now Andor is wrapping up season one -- and I think it's the best Star Wars product on any screen since The Empire Strikes Back. Even people I know who aren't Star Wars fans are enjoying it as great genre fiction -- a police raid plot, a heist plot, prison escape plot, and a long arc spy arc -- all done by a spy film (the Bourne series) show runner.

Also the score is amazing.

I'm really surprised how good a Disney+ series is; I had been pretty disappointed until now.

There was some Andor discussion in The Rings of Power thread but that's been a while.

Now Andor is wrapping up season one -- and I think it's the best Star Wars product on any screen since The Empire Strikes Back. Even people I know who aren't Star Wars fans are enjoying it as great genre fiction -- a police raid plot, a heist plot, prison escape plot, and a long arc spy arc -- all done by a spy film (the Bourne series) show runner.

I'm really surprised how good a Disney+ series is; I had been pretty disappointed until now.
It’s great precisely it’s not a Star Wars show - it’s a awesome slow burn spy thriller that Happens to be in a Star Wars universe

It’s been good. It’s so much better than Fett and Mando, which to me are a bit unserious and cartoonish. And Obi Wan fell flat even though I thought it was ok (probably due to nostalgia for me).

My biggest problem is that Andor is too slow of a burn. One should be able to binge it, and the episodes are too short.

The series hasn’t done well so Disney made the decision to throw the thing on different platforms to help with viewership. But hey, Disney just fired their CEO, so maybe things will turn for the better. Next maybe they can fire Kathleen Kennedy for taking Lucasfilm and Star Wars…and putting it on life support. It’s not dead yet…at least I hope it’s not.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
It’s been good. It’s so much better than Fett and Mando, which to me are a bit unserious and cartoonish. And Obi Wan fell flat even though I thought it was ok (probably due to nostalgia for me).

My biggest problem is that Andor is too slow of a burn. One should be able to binge it, and the episodes are too short.

This is a bit more where I am with Andor. Out of the gate- I was blown away.

I knew it was going to be a well written show once I learned Tony Gilroy was in charge: I felt the first 4 episodes really lived up to the hype I had given it. Unfortunately, it felt like the writing was not quite as good over the next 4 episodes.

For starters, it felt like they spent far too much time introduce characters who

[SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED
THE SHOW]

were discarded a few episodes later. It was like they were attempting to keep things more interesting by take a page from Game Of Thrones. The difference is that almost all of the characters GOT introduced were interesting. So while it was a shock when they quickly killed off a character in GOT, it was not completely disappointing. In Andor, characters who seemed like they had potential to develop into interesting characters were killed off, while other characters who seemed far less interesting (at least IMO) somehow we’re not.

As a result, I went from eagerly waiting for the each of the first 4 episode to losing a bit of interest after reaching episode 5. With new, less interesting characters and less interesting dialog, the show suddenly felt like it was dragging. It was missing some of the earlier, more suspenseful writing (included wonderfully unpredictable dialog) that kept me engaged in the first few episodes.

I’m sure I will eventually get around to watching the last 4 episodes. I’m just hoping they will be more like the first 4 episodes than the second 4.

Last edited:

I knew it was going to be a well written show once I learned Tony Gilroy was in charge: I felt the first 4 episodes really lived up to the hype I had given it. Unfortunately, it felt like the writing was not quite as good over the next 4 episodes.

For starters, it felt like they spent far too much time introduce characters who

THE SHOW]

were discarded a few episodes later. It was like they were attempting to keep things more interesting by take a page from Game Of Thrones. The difference is that almost all of the characters GOT introduced were interesting. So while it was a shock when they quickly killed off a character in GOT, it was not completely disappointing. In Andor, characters who seemed like they had potential to develop into interesting characters were killed off, while other characters who seemed far less interesting (at least IMO) somehow we’re not.

As a result, I went from eagerly waiting for the each of the first 4 episode to losing a bit of interest after reaching episode 5. With new, less interesting characters and less interesting dialog, the show suddenly felt like it was dragging. It was missing some of the earlier, more suspenseful writing (included wonderfully unpredictable dialog) that kept me engaged in the first few episodes.

I’m sure I will eventually get around to watching the last 4 episodes. I’m just hoping they will be more like the first 4 episodes than the second 4.
Yeah I’m a bit different. I am one who thinks it got better as the season rolled along. I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts, particularly with Andy Serkis. I think his role is Emmy worthy.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Yeah I’m a bit different. I am one who thinks it got better as the season rolled along. I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts, particularly with Andy Serkis. I think his role is Emmy worthy.
Yep - it keeps picking up speed .
I’m not a Star Wars lore type - but i’m finding the cultures and histories fascinating - since it’s only background to a great story (like the whole Mon mothma family and religion )

Yep - it keeps picking up speed .
I’m not a Star Wars lore type - but i’m finding the cultures and histories fascinating - since it’s only background to a great story (like the whole Mon mothma family and religion )
It picked up speed and was good through that middle act. But the final act that started last week with episode 11 was uneventful. Hopefully today I can catch the finale and it delivers.

THE SHOW]

[Spoilers]

I think it feels that way because the Aldani heist happened in the middle of the season rather than at the end. So they did a quick build to release, but Cassian was a mercenary and not a cause participant. They needed to radicalize him politically to become the guy that was willing to kill and die for the Rebel Alliance. But such major changes take time: police brutality, unjust detention/forced labor/torture, and then the death of his mother plus what I assume will be some kind of interference with her funeral. How did Cassian go from "I'm out" to "suicide mission on Scarif?" That's what we had to see over the next 5 episodes.

I think the pacing of the show makes perfect sense and it also allows us to focus on other characters and the creation of the nascent Alliance from a group of unaffiliated idealists, criminals, and terrorists. Mon Mothma and Luthen Rael in particular are fascinating. Rael is probably the best character ever written in Star Wars that didn't come from the original trilogy. And seeing the future Rebel Alliance (it doesn't even have a name yet!) through the strict lens of spycraft and desperation is fascinating for me.

im on E5 of Andor with little man and it's just now, finally getting good. The first 4 episodes were painfully slow.. The vault robbery scene was a great episode. that's where we are at now with it..

Glad i stuck with it. First 2 episodes were downright brutal for me.

I'll have to watch. I liked the Mandalorian but have been really turned off of Disney Star wars with the way they completely f'ed up the sequel trilogy.

I'll have to watch. I liked the Mandalorian but have been really turned off of Disney Star wars with the way they completely f'ed up the sequel trilogy.
It’s unlike anything you’ve seen in Star Wars. Stick with it.

im on E5 of Andor with little man and it's just now, finally getting good. The first 4 episodes were painfully slow.. The vault robbery scene was a great episode. that's where we are at now with it..

Can’t imagine your little man is into it at all. There’s nothing in it geared toward kids.

There’s a post credit scene after episode 12. It’s the first time I stayed through the credits.

Episodes 7-9 have an arc that's among my all time favorite TV. Glad you're sticking with it.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Didn’t not know Andy Serkis was going to be a part of it. Now I’m a bit more intrigued.

[Spoilers]

I think it feels that way because the Aldani heist happened in the middle of the season rather than at the end. So they did a quick build to release, but Cassian was a mercenary and not a cause participant. They needed to radicalize him politically to become the guy that was willing to kill and die for the Rebel Alliance. But such major changes take time: police brutality, unjust detention/forced labor/torture, and then the death of his mother plus what I assume will be some kind of interference with her funeral. How did Cassian go from "I'm out" to "suicide mission on Scarif?" That's what we had to see over the next 5 episodes.

I think the pacing of the show makes perfect sense and it also allows us to focus on other characters and the creation of the nascent Alliance from a group of unaffiliated idealists, criminals, and terrorists. Mon Mothma and Luthen Rael in particular are fascinating. Rael is probably the best character ever written in Star Wars that didn't come from the original trilogy. And seeing the future Rebel Alliance (it doesn't even have a name yet!) through the strict lens of spycraft and desperation is fascinating for me.
That might be part of it. I can certainly appreciate the importance of character transformation and the need to show how and why a character has changed. I guess I was having trouble seeing the significance of certain characters and even the significance of some of the dialog created for some of those characters.

I do think Stellan Skarsgard was a good choice for the Rael character. I’m glad you and others are feeling so good about the show. I am now excited about getting back to watching the second half of the first season.

Just finished Andor. Hands down right there neck and neck with Rogue One as the best SW media produced since the OT. And definitely right with Rogue One as the best since ESB.

The entire thing was great from start to finish. Just outstanding.

Reactions: CCHS82 and Fk_Pitt
Just finished Andor. Hands down right there neck and neck with Rogue One as the best SW media produced since the OT. And definitely right with Rogue One as the best since ESB.

The entire thing was great from start to finish. Just outstanding.
Makes you wonder why Tony Gilroy isn’t mentioned more for future projects. He gets it.

I’m not overly excited about Filoni being the top dog moving forward. While I like him for his respect and love for the franchise (unlike Kathleen Kennedy), I don’t know if Filoni has it in him to create gritty and deep stories. We are hearing that many future projects are built on the cartoon universe he created and I’m not convinced it will be good. But at least it’s him and not Abrams and Ruin Johnson.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder why Tony Gilroy isn’t mentioned more for future projects. He gets it.

I’m not overly excited about Filoni being the top dog moving forward. While I like him for his respect and love for the franchise (unlike Kathleen Kennedy), I don’t know if Filoni has it in him to create gritty and deep stories. We are hearing that many future projects are built on the cartoon universe he created and I’m not convinced it will be good. But at least it’s him and not Abrams and Ruin Johnson.
I have no interest in his cartoon universe. Big reason why I won’t bother watching the Ahsoka show.

I have no interest in his cartoon universe. Big reason why I won’t bother watching the Ahsoka show.
I think I heard that the show will be setting up future theatrical projects. Prepare to be unhappy.

I think I heard that the show will be setting up future theatrical projects. Prepare to be unhappy.
Yeah Disney is doing the same thing with Star Wars that they are with Marvel. Too much media. You have to read the books to understand the show to understand the movie.

Andor was great. It’s the first SW media I’ve consumed since Episode 9. I’ll probably have minimal interest in the franchise going forward. Which is a shame considering what a SW fan I was.

Now if they do a Knights of the Old Republic movie…

Yeah Disney is doing the same thing with Star Wars that they are with Marvel. Too much media. You have to read the books to understand the show to understand the movie.

Andor was great. It’s the first SW media I’ve consumed since Episode 9. I’ll probably have minimal interest in the franchise going forward. Which is a shame considering what a SW fan I was.

Now if they do a Knights of the Old Republic movie…
Yeah I don’t know what that is. I know it was a popular video game but that’s all I know. I think there is something in preproduction that takes place way before the skywalker saga.

Reactions: Ski11585
ADVERTISEMENT