ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Around the NCAA

levance2

All American
Aug 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have been paying a little more attention to results nationally this season since our situation has been so dour.

Here's a few items that I thought were interesting:

• TCU followed up their 1pt loss to Oklahoma with an OT win at Baylor. They have a big game against Kansas this weekend.
  • Texas Tech actually won AT Kansas yesterday. Pomeroy now has TTU as #5 (unreal) and potentially winning the B12. I predicted Chris Beard would win there, but I'm surprised at where they are this fast. Kansas has won a share of the conference for like 20 years. TTU ending that run would be one of the wildest things ever.
  • WVU started 2-0 with wins against the bottom half of the B12. They have a big home game against Oklahoma this weekend.
  • Howland and MSU beat a good Arkansas team. Their OOC SOS was absolutely dreadful (345), but that's a positive opener in the SEC and they are 13-1 now. I usually regard the SEC is a garbage conference, but they are pretty deep this year. The top end talent is down (A&M is now 0-2) but the usual dregs like LSU are much better (172 last year, 79 this year).
  • Duquesne beat Dayton to start A10 play. They are favored by 1 over GWU tonight. They cracked the top-200 in Pomeroy, so that's a pretty strong first year for Dambrot. Pomeroy has them predicted at 8-10, which would be the 2nd most conference wins there in 15+ years.
  • RMU is favored in their next 3 home games. They are off to a 2-0 start and have a chance to win the NEC. Maybe Andy Toole isn't dead quite yet.
  • PSU lost to Maryland and are 1-2 in the mediocre B10. They are still predicted 19-12 (9-9) but they are getting more into bubble territory at this point. I don't think they have many big time upset opportunities in that down conference, so they can't afford any bad losses.
  • UConn plays at Tulsa tonight as the underdog. This would be their 4th straight loss en route to 7-7. Yikes.
  • DePaul lost to Georgetown. They are now 0-3 after 5-31 in Dave Leitao's first two seasons. It's almost incomprehensible that DePaul was 9-7 in their second season in the Big East with wins over Nova, UConn, ND, and Marquette. That season they even beat Kansas!

Reactions: 3genpanther
I have been paying a little more attention to results nationally this season since our situation has been so dour.

• TCU followed up their 1pt loss to Oklahoma with an OT win at Baylor. They have a big game against Kansas this weekend.
  • Texas Tech actually won AT Kansas yesterday. Pomeroy now has TTU as #5 (unreal) and potentially winning the B12. I predicted Chris Beard would win there, but I'm surprised at where they are this fast. Kansas has won a share of the conference for like 20 years. TTU ending that run would be one of the wildest things ever.
  • WVU started 2-0 with wins against the bottom half of the B12. They have a big home game against Oklahoma this weekend.
  • Howland and MSU beat a good Arkansas team. Their OOC SOS was absolutely dreadful (345), but that's a positive opener in the SEC and they are 13-1 now. I usually regard the SEC is a garbage conference, but they are pretty deep this year. The top end talent is down (A&M is now 0-2) but the usual dregs like LSU are much better (172 last year, 79 this year).
  • Duquesne beat Dayton to start A10 play. They are favored by 1 over GWU tonight. They cracked the top-200 in Pomeroy, so that's a pretty strong first year for Dambrot. Pomeroy has them predicted at 8-10, which would be the 2nd most conference wins there in 15+ years.
  • RMU is favored in their next 3 home games. They are off to a 2-0 start and have a chance to win the NEC. Maybe Andy Toole isn't dead quite yet.
  • PSU lost to Maryland and are 1-2 in the mediocre B10. They are still predicted 19-12 (9-9) but they are getting more into bubble territory at this point. I don't think they have many big time upset opportunities in that down conference, so they can't afford any bad losses.
  • UConn plays at Tulsa tonight as the underdog. This would be their 4th straight loss en route to 7-7. Yikes.
  • DePaul lost to Georgetown. They are now 0-3 after 5-31 in Dave Leitao's first two seasons. It's almost incomprehensible that DePaul was 9-7 in their second season in the Big East with wins over Nova, UConn, ND, and Marquette. That season they even beat Kansas!
1) I am rooting for TCU to lose every game they play.
2) I think this is sort of a down year for KU
3) WVU is really good, now they are getting Ahmed back too! Legit Final 4 team
4) Hard to take from their schedule (MSU)
5) Keith Damtrot is a good coach. Loved that hire. Would rather he be our coach than the current coach.
6) Didn't they lose some guys too to transfer to bigger programs?
7) PSU is overrated.
8) You wonder when the heat is falling on Kevin Ollie. Shame, UConn really got screwed by the conference shakeups. I feel if they were still in the Big East and not the AAC, they would be doing much better.
9) I am old enough to remember when DePaul was a top 5 team and they were must see TV when NBC had the national games.

DePaul has a new arena in case anyone didn't know. Its not on-campus but its actually in Chicago and not far from campus.

DePaul has a new arena in case anyone didn't know. Its not on-campus but its actually in Chicago and not far from campus.

Playing out in Rosemont was pointless. They would have been better off playing their home games at UIC, until they figured out what they were going to do from a facilities perspective. I think their new building will give them a good jolt of momentum.

I didn't know that. That's cool for them. I actually went to All State Arena to watch Pitt play at least twice. It was a weird, kind of eerie place. It held like 16,000 fans and the bathrooms were through a maze of closed concession stands.

1) I see TCU as a 5/6 seed in the tournament this year. Pitt fans are either going to be rooting for them because of Jamie, or picking them to lose as part of their "upset special" because of Jamie. I'm probably more of the latter.
2) This is definitely the year Kansas doesn't win the Big 12. One of the worst Kansas teams in a while. They might not get a top 4 seed when it's all said and done. No front court. TTU, Oklahoma, WVU are all better IMO.
3) As a Pitt fan, I've been trained to hate WVU. But I've grown to really respect and like Huggins and his system. With Carter, Miles, Konate, and now Ahmad back, they are a legit national title contender. If you get tickets to March Madness here in Pittsburgh like me, you'll probably end up seeing Villanova and WVU as the top teams. That's going to be some entertaining basketball in PPG.
4) ACC, Big 12, SEC... then a big drop off, Big 10, Pac 12. The SEC is as good as it has been in a while. And the odd thing is is that Kentucky ain't that good this year, similar to Kansas.
5) Homerun hire for Duquesne. Really the best possible scenario for them. At his age, he probably sticks around til the end of that contract. This is a year too early for them too. Many on this board idiotically said they would struggle to win an A10 game. A10 is down this year and here they sit at 2-0. I see RIU and maybe St. Bonnie's as the only 2 tourney teams. Good for them, good for Pittsburgh basketball as a whole. I could see them making the tourney next year if all goes right, they have a bunch of transfers becoming eligible and will be one of the favorites in the A10.
6) Toole probably should've jumped when he had the chance. So tough to remain relevant at RMU in the worst conference in CBB.
7) 19-12 and 9-9 in the Big 10 is not on the bubble this year. I count about 5, maybe 6 bids for the Big 10 this year. PSU will not be one of those. Chambers will be fired. Wouldn't be surprised if the Philly kids look around and transfer. Back to the drawing board for them, love to see it. This was supposed to be the year they finally got back to the NCAAs.
8) Not really sure what happened there. Haven't checked their recruiting at all, but I assume Ollie is still pulling in solid players. The shine from those tournament runs has really worn off, hasn't it?
9) At least we're not Depaul.

7) 19-12 and 9-9 in the Big 10 is not on the bubble this year. I count about 5, maybe 6 bids for the Big 10 this year. PSU will not be one of those. Chambers will be fired. Wouldn't be surprised if the Philly kids look around and transfer. Back to the drawing board for them, love to see it. This was supposed to be the year they finally got back to the NCAAs.
8) Not really sure what happened there. Haven't checked their recruiting at all, but I assume Ollie is still pulling in solid players. The shine from those tournament runs has really worn off, hasn't it?
9) At least we're not Depaul.

It's too early to say what 9-9 in the B1G gets them, but they will be favored in their next 4 and have two winnable road games in Northwestern and OSU. If they win those 6, they are in great shape; drop a couple, then it gets hairy.

UConn lost to Tulsa in 2OT.

I mean, we're not DePaul, but DePaul is very likely to win more conference games than us.

I didn't know that. That's cool for them. I actually went to All State Arena to watch Pitt play at least twice. It was a weird, kind of eerie place. It held like 16,000 fans and the bathrooms were through a maze of closed concession stands.

They should have figured a way to play at the United Center during tbeir CUSA/BE days. The Bulls actually tried to get them to but DePaul didn't like the deal.

In replies to other stuff:

- I also can never root for WVU. I hope they lose every game but I actually think I like Bob Huggins. If its not a like, then its mad respect. Just something about him, he's really grown on me.

- I am hoping TCU lands in Pgh for the NCAAT. I am going to the games and will actively root for him. Im salty for the underclassmen he left us with but I will remember him as the best coach in Pitt history.

- College basketball has become a "Game of Coaches." Programs are actually pretty irrelevant anymore. Name brand, conference, etc doesn't really matter. If you can coach and you can recruit, you win.....anywhere. Guys like Chris Beard and Buzz Williams prove that. Also guys like Kevin Ollie and whoever is coaching Illinois at any given time. Just some unbelievable coaching jobs going on in some places

They should have figured a way to play at the United Center during tbeir CUSA/BE days. The Bulls actually tried to get them to but DePaul didn't like the deal.

- I also can never root for WVU. I hope they lose every game but I actually think I like Bob Huggins. If its not a like, then its mad respect. Just something about him, he's really grown on me.

- I am hoping TCU lands in Pgh for the NCAAT. I am going to the games and will actively root for him. Im salty for the underclassmen he left us with but I will remember him as the best coach in Pitt history.

- College basketball has become a "Game of Coaches." Programs are actually pretty irrelevant anymore. Name brand, conference, etc doesn't really matter. If you can coach and you can recruit, you win.....anywhere. Guys like Chris Beard and Buzz Williams prove that. Also guys like Kevin Ollie and whoever is coaching Illinois at any given time. Just some unbelievable coaching jobs going on in some places

An All-Star lineup for those games at PPG would be Villanova, WVU, and TCU. That would certainly make buying tickets worth it.

Not sure how old you are, but back in the late 70's early 80's, when I first started watching college basketball, DePaul was a top 10 program (always failed in the NCAA's however) and the Rosemount used to be full and rocking.

An All-Star lineup for those games at PPG would be Villanova, WVU, and TCU. That would certainly make buying tickets worth it.

Add in Penn State. I can see TCU vs Penn State in a 6/11 type game.

WVU will almost certainly be a protected seed at PPG

Villanova played here in '14 and they almost certainly will this year.

That would certainly be an interesting matchup and I would definitely be forced to root for Jamie there, but you really think PSU is going to make the dance? I highly doubt it.

That would certainly be an interesting matchup and I would definitely be forced to root for Jamie there, but you really think PSU is going to make the dance? I highly doubt it.

I don't know if they will but they could. They are going to be on the bubble the whole year. A win here and there and they could. They certainly have NCAAT talent thanks to Chambers's Philly exploits

Well if PSU makes the tourney, they certainly are not going to put them in Pittsburgh. Especially if WVU is here.

recruitsreadtheseboard, I have that poster that is your new avatar hanging on my wall at work behind me this very instant. KBL!

Those were five special kids. One I sort of work with now, the other my dad has worked with. One is the coach we'll never land.

Well if PSU makes the tourney, they certainly are not going to put them in Pittsburgh. Especially if WVU is here.

Why not? The NCAA does stuff like that all the time. Could easily see a potential 2 or 3 seed WVU matched up with a 10/11 seed PSU in a 2nd Round game. I mean PSU wouldn't win the 1st one but hypothetically

In tonight's action:

• Somehow the greatest team in the history of college basketball is now 0-2 in PAC12 play.
  • Robert Morris wins in overtime and is now already the only undefeated team in the NEC.
  • The women lost to Wake Forest at home, 58-49. I would comment further but I am reasonably sure I would piss off the families of every player and coach on the team with the exception of Yacine Diop's family, so I will refrain.

In tonight's action:

• Somehow the greatest team in the history of college basketball is now 0-2 in PAC12 play.
  • Robert Morris wins in overtime and is now already the only undefeated team in the NEC.
  • The women lost to Wake Forest at home, 58-49. I would comment further but I am reasonably sure I would piss off the families of every player and coach on the team with the exception of Yacine Diop's family, so I will refrain.

Bobby Mo makes SportsCenter. They blew a 6 point lead with less than a second left. SFC made a 3 with 0.7 seconds left. Then RMU threw the inbounds pass out of bounds. SFC made a 3 to send it to OT. Matty McConnell had the game winning layup and 1 with 10 seconds to win it

Lunardi has them like 15 spots out of the First Four games at this point based on his latest tweets related to his S-Curve and his bubble.

Tweet below. Looks like 18th team outside of the First Four round:

Lunardi has them like 15 spots out of the First Four games at this point based on his latest tweets related to his S-Curve and his bubble.

Tweet below. Looks like 18th team outside of the First Four round:

Now, sure. Like I said, its going to come down to less than 2 games for them.

Bobby Mo makes SportsCenter. They blew a 6 point lead with less than a second left. SFC made a 3 with 0.7 seconds left. Then RMU threw the inbounds pass out of bounds. SFC made a 3 to send it to OT. Matty McConnell had the game winning layup and 1 with 10 seconds to win it

Made it out to the game tonight at the Palumbo Center...it was some game. RMU had a 6 point lead with 4.1 seconds left in regulation & ended up going to over time. Matty M. & Dacon Burke were big in OT to get the 1 point win. Was a very physical & wild game to say the least.

ASU is 1-3 now and a certain poster seems to have disappeared... Odd.

Had the Clemson/NCSU game on while I was doing other stuff so I paid some attention to it, not a lot.

Those 2 teams are WAAAAAAAAY better than us. I wasn't sure about Clemson but man, they are legit even though they lost.

What's amazing to me is how all these teams have decent 5's. Clemson has about 3 talented big guys. There was a play where a Clemson big named Dolan or something (never heard of him), caught the ball in the post, took one dribble to separate from his defender and laid it in. I thought a simple move like that, we haven't had a 5 that could do that since......I dont know and Clemson had a guy I never heard of who is better than any of our 5's since McGhee, not counting Adams.

Crazy ending (and one reason I love the 1 and 1 in college bball and hope they never go to quarters and get rid of it)

45 seconds left, NCS up 8.

Clemson his 3, TO

NCS misses 1 and 1, Clemson comes down cuts to 3, TO

NCS, clear as day throws a bounce pass that is not even close to being inbounds. It was a cross court pass along the baseline, really stupid, but it hits about 2 feet out of bounds, no call. Clemson knocks it out of bounds, NCSU ball.

NCSU in bounds it and travels

Clemson throws a long inbounds pass to half court, intercepted by NCSU and dunked, up 5

Clemson comes down to cut it to 3 with 2.8 seconds left.

NCSU throws another stupid cross-court inbounds pass along the baseline which bounces out of bounds again. This time the refs call it.

Clemson inbounds. Fouled on a 3 with 0.2 seconds

Makes first 2.

TO Keatts

Flaw-filled finish but very entertaining. These are the reasons I prefer college to the NBA. College is more interesting to me because there are more mistakes. Watching the NBA is like watching a video game to me. Too perfect but that's just how I feel

Misses last, game over

ASU is 1-3 now and a certain poster seems to have disappeared... Odd.

I invoked Steel’s name yesterday while making my case for Oregon +8.

Its taken Altman a little while to get into a rhythm with all the player turnover he’s had to deal with this season, but he’s a very good coach and they are starting to come together.

And oh yeah I know this guy who everything he touches turns to shit and he swears ASU is the best team in the country.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Duquesne beat La Salle in 3OT. They are now 4-1.
RMU won at FDU. They are now 5-1 with the best projected record in the NEC.

Texas Tech beat #2 WVU 13-9. That’s a heck of a league.

Cuse lost in OT to FSU and their NCAA hopes appear to be fading. Luckily for them their next three games are Pitt/BC/Pitt. That’s a cure-all.

Duquesne beat La Salle in 3OT. They are now 4-1.
RMU won at FDU. They are now 5-1 with the best projected record in the NEC.

Texas Tech beat #2 WVU 13-9. That’s a heck of a league.

Cuse lost in OT to FSU and their NCAA hopes appear to be fading. Luckily for them their next three games are Pitt/BC/Pitt. That’s a cure-all.

That's at least 2 guaranteed wins against Pitt right there. That will help them, but not much considering Pitt's RPI.

WVU KANSAS game Monday night should have ticket prices escalating.

Must see TV for sure if you like college basketball

WVU is nowhere near a #2 team, and I think even WVU fans acknowledge that. By the time it all sorts out, they'll be around #15 or #20.

We played them and they're a good team. But we also played Duke and Duke is light years better than WVU in every aspect of the game. Duke would beat WVU by double digits on a bad night.

Duke would beat WVU by double digits on a bad night.

Just so we are all on the same page, that's the Duke team that lost to Boston College, right?

I mean I agree that Duke is better, but the notion that if the two teams played and Duke had a bad night and West Virginia was playing well that Duke would still win by double digits is crazy. Duke wouldn't even be favored by double digits at Cameron, let alone on a neutral court.

Just so we are all on the same page, that's the Duke team that lost to Boston College, right?

I mean I agree that Duke is better, but the notion that if the two teams played and Duke had a bad night and West Virginia was playing well that Duke would still win by double digits is crazy. Duke wouldn't even be favored by double digits at Cameron, let alone on a neutral court.

Yes, I do believe from what I have seen of Duke, with the exception of the BC game, they would beat WVU 9 times out of 10. The BC game aside. That is an outlier obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT