ADVERTISEMENT

OT: As 4th of July approaches, your public service reminder:

I can't stand fireworks. I feel like if you've seen one you've seen them all, and I just don't get how people will wait in two hours of traffic to sit on a blanket and look up at some sparkly things in the sky. Kind of reminds me how they'll wait in a fast food line for two hours just for a free something or other that would normally only cost like $3 anyway. Is there no time-value analysis?

Saw a dog just booking it down the middle of the road on the 4th a few years ago... absolutely terrified. I'm always picking spent bottle rockets up in my yard the next day (not a big deal, but just a small straw to add to the bundle of reasons this stuff sucks).

This video reminds me of my crazy Cambria County uncles who were lighting quarter sticks of dynamite one 4th and taking out trees. I guess it was kind of cool as a younger kid, but boy does it sound dumb to think back upon.

I hate the 4...because in my neighborhood it's the 2nd and the 3rd, and the 4th, and then whatever date Friday and Saturday night are. And my dog loses it. So it turns into hiding with the dog in the bathroom while turning the bathroom fan on while the dog shakes uncontrollably for hours. We medicate him but he's a large dog and his bark in a bathroom is so loud. It's the worst week of the year every year.

I hate the 4...because in my neighborhood it's the 2nd and the 3rd, and the 4th, and then whatever date Friday and Saturday night are. And my dog loses it. So it turns into hiding with the dog in the bathroom while turning the bathroom fan on while the dog shakes uncontrollably for hours. We medicate him but he's a large dog and his bark in a bathroom is so loud. It's the worst week of the year every year.

Amen, and I believe it's also the leading day of the year for pets to run away.

I used to hate it for all the road closures and whatnot, but now, like you, I couldn't even consider leaving my house on that day due to the dog situation.

Reactions: ratking17
Amen, and I believe it's also the leading day of the year for pets to run away.

I used to hate it for all the road closures and whatnot, but now, like you, I couldn't even consider leaving my house on that day due to the dog situation.
And when I say those dates....it isn't just at dusk...on the 4th someone is always shooting them off until midnight. I'm pretty libertarian with most of my politics but man did the legislature screw that one up allowing any schmuck to buy these things.

And when I say those dates....it isn't just at dusk...on the 4th someone is always shooting them off until midnight. I'm pretty libertarian with most of my politics but man did the legislature screw that one up allowing any schmuck to buy these things.
You'd love it out in the sticks. Tannerite baby!

Legalizing them didn't really change anything. It's not like things suddenly got worse.

You'd love it out in the sticks. Tannerite baby!

Legalizing them didn't really change anything. It's not like things suddenly got worse.
My neighborhood it did. We had one family that did it because they were the only ones that went to Maryland to buy them. Now there are dozens of people in my neighborhood. Why go sit in some parking lot and get stuck in traffic when you can sit in your back yard and watch multiple displays from the comfort of your home. Plus you can drink nonstop and not worry about driving.

I also have the same situation on new years eve and new years day. I'm usually up at new years eve but new years day always pisses me off as many people are back to work the next day.

I just have some incredibly pyrotechnics neighbors.

uh, in that you clean up his schitt 365 days a year you might want to tell him he owes it to you to suck it up one week a year for national independence......

uh, in that you clean up his schitt 365 days a year you might want to tell him he owes it to you to suck it up one week a year for national independence......
Add in his $140 monthly specialty diet because of allergies and his daily liver pills and his daily allergy pills...I tell my wife daily he deserves the farm upstate treatment.

I hear ya. I don't get big booms (M80s) and such without a corresponding visual. I had a dog that was just terrified of fireworks. My two now? The knuckleheads runs TOWARDS the noise mostly likely because they are nosy and figure there's a party so there must be food!!!

Some knucklehead American here in NZ (Queenstown) started a large fire on neighbouring farms and caused stock to get injured by setting off fireworks two summers ago. It should be legal to give a guy like that a violent beatdown.

Reactions: KittPitt
Haha love it. It’s a great day to blow shit up. Neighbors loud ass dogs can deal for one night. Merica!

Reactions: Farnox
I'm not a huge fan of them but I don't hate them. I do start to hate them when it's July 16th and one of the neighbors is still firing them up. Enough already. 2020 was the worst for that. Some schmuck in the neighborhood behind me was launching fireworks at the wee hours of the night all summer.

So last night, Friday June 28th, my neighborhoods arsenal fired their first shots for about an hr from 8pm to 9pm. I just don't get it.

So last night, Friday June 28th, my neighborhoods arsenal fired their first shots for about an hr from 8pm to 9pm. I just don't get it.
Fireworks are only interesting to stupid people .
Signed someone from the Firework Capital of the World.

I don’t get the phenomenon either. As said above, seen one seen them all. I went to a guys party on the 4th. Dude lives on a cul de sac and he and his neighbor put on a display. They spent over 30K on fireworks. $30K!!! I think there might be some clinical diagnosis for someone who does that.

Oh and they all had hard-ons for the sticks of dynamite they set off. It’s weird.

I don’t get the phenomenon either. As said above, seen one seen them all. I went to a guys party on the 4th. Dude lives on a cul de sac and he and his neighbor put on a display. They spent over 30K on fireworks. $30K!!! I think there might be some clinical diagnosis for someone who does that.

Oh and they all had hard-ons for the sticks of dynamite they set off. It’s weird.

I remember when I had a $30k cashier's check and had to choose between a downpayment on my first house and some dynamite. It was a really tough decision. A house is cool and all, but 45 minutes of explosions is also pretty bitchin'. Ultimately, I flipped a coin and ended up with the house. I'm guessing your buddy's quarter landed on tails.

Our neighborhood, despite having rain for much of the evening, began at 8pm and ended around 1am. Got very little sleep that night. Last night (July 5) we had a few around 9 and ended around 11. Not as bad as the night before. Tonight should be the last night of this nonsense

Our neighborhood, despite having rain for much of the evening, began at 8pm and ended around 1am. Got very little sleep that night. Last night (July 5) we had a few around 9 and ended around 11. Not as bad as the night before. Tonight should be the last night of this nonsense
Yeah. I mean to each their own. Let them have their day. But it would be considerate of them if they limited themselves to just one day. Could you imagine if we celebrated our independence for an entire month?

Fireworks are only interesting to stupid people .

I get why little kids like them. Little kids tend to like the bright colors and loud noises (well, not all of them like the loud noises).

But once you get past a certain age, there are far more interesting ways to see bright colors and hear loud noises, if that's still a thing for someone.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
One moron in S Carolina died yesterday when he put a mortar firework on top of his head and lit it. Darwin winner.

And you needed to post this why? Just because these dudes aren’t feeling the weight of this economy like the average American, doesn’t mean they can’t look outward and want what’s best for others.
$30K wasted - makes no sense

Neighbor had a bunch and actually went so far as to ask me if I would set them off. I chuckled and told her she should save them for after everyone's yard turns green. She got another neighbor to light them and the first one caught the field below my house on fire. The ten minutes of panic was the most entertaining thing I've watched in years but they did manage to get it put out without calling 911. Probably a good thing because they couldn't muster a crew for a house fire earlier in the day.

I will say, I was shocked at what those things cost. One was over $40 for about 30 seconds of booms. I think she said she spend $600 which is just nuts when you look around and see how many were being set off everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT