ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bands that went from GREAT to SAAWFT!!!!

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I got this off of Twitter this week. But I am trying to figure out the correct way of saying it, but (mostly rock) but bands who really became wimpy at their end or currently.

For example......Styx. I mean Crystal Ball, Blue Collar Man-------------> Mr. friggin Roboto??

That's one.

The obvious and this thread should be called the Jefferson Airplane Project. I mean Jefferson Airplane. Friggin White Rabbit. Volunteers! Wooden Ships. Then Jefferson Starship.....still good...Miracles....Ride the Tiger....Jane.........then Starship....>>>>>We Built this Shitty with Rock n Roll.

That is the maybe most overt example. But there are tons of others.

I got this off of Twitter this week. But I am trying to figure out the correct way of saying it, but (mostly rock) but bands who really became wimpy at their end or currently.

For example......Styx. I mean Crystal Ball, Blue Collar Man-------------> Mr. friggin Roboto??

That's one.

The obvious and this thread should be called the Jefferson Airplane Project. I mean Jefferson Airplane. Friggin White Rabbit. Volunteers! Wooden Ships. Then Jefferson Starship.....still good...Miracles....Ride the Tiger....Jane.........then Starship....>>>>>We Built this Shitty with Rock n Roll.

Heart ... "Crazy on You" to "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You."

That's one.

I'll give some thought for more ... but my next entry is Soul Asylum ... "Somebody to Shove" to "Misery."

Early Van Halen to later stuff (synthesizer VH from 1984 on)

Early Rush to synthesizer Rush

Billy Joel Greatest Hits Vol I = masterpiece...while Vol II is dogshit... "Well we're living here in Allentown...Uptown Girl...yadda yadda barrrf"

Last edited:
lol. Would love to give mr roboto to kick in the gonads.

QUOTE="recruitsreadtheseboards, post: 3030191, member: 2328"]I got this off of Twitter this week. But I am trying to figure out the correct way of saying it, but (mostly rock) but bands who really became wimpy at their end or currently.

That's one.

That is the maybe most overt example. But there are tons of others.[/QUOTE]

Yes went from all of the great early stuff all the way up through Going For The One. 90125 was not great but everything afterwards was garbage. But then again they were getting old.

That's one.

Domo arigato, Mister Recruits.

If you are going for bands like Styx, Foreigner would be another to add to the list. They had some good early songs, and then had big chart success with the crappy ballad "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and basically tried to replicate that the rest of their recording career.

Domo arigato, Mister Recruits.

If you are going for bands like Styx, Foreigner would be another to add to the list. They had some good early songs, and then had big chart success with the crappy ballad "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and basically tried to replicate that the rest of their recording career.
I Wanna Know What Love Is is critically considered perhaps the best single of Foreigners career.

Reactions: gary2
REM - all their great stuff followed by the crap after Bill Berry left.

U2 maintained for a long time but declined

Metallica

I don’t see R.E.M. and U2 as good examples. I agree of course, that both’s later work wasn’t at the level of their initial greatness. But neither “sold out” nor changed into the type of commercially embarrassing act which is the spirit of the category.

Probably unfair but Joy Division to New Order. From great and groundbreaking to merely really good.
I’d call them two different bands altogether.

And New Order’s work is generally considered at the level of Joy Division, albeit without one incredibly monumental single that Love Will Tear Us Apart was.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

That's one.

Aerosmith

Early Van Halen to later stuff from sysnthesizer VH from 1984 on

Early Rush to synthesizer Rush

Billy Joel Greatest Hits Vol I = masterpiece...while Vol II is dogshit... "Well we're living here in Allentown...Uptown Girl...yadda yadda barrrf"
80s Joel sir. We only do 80s Joel.

Radiohead went from great to Thom york making random crooning sounds constantly.

I don’t see R.E.M. and U2 as good examples. I agree of course, that both’s later work wasn’t at the level of their initial greatness. But neither “sold out” nor changed into the type of commercially embarrassing act which is the spirit of the category.

REM’s worst album is still a very good album.

Aerosmith absolutely. They were so solid when they first started hitting it big. Than they tried to become a true top 40 band.

I give Van Halen a pass. The only band that really hung in there despite changes to lead singer. They went with the voice that worked at that time and it was good. Yes they went a bit softer but still decent.

I’d call them two different bands altogether.

And New Order’s work is generally considered at the level of Joy Division, albeit without one incredibly monumental single that Love Will Tear Us Apart was.

Well, they did have one the most iconic singles of the 80s in Blue Monday.

I'd argue that New Order was greater than Joy Division. They continually improved until Technique, one of my favorite albums ever. Steep drop off to Republic and downhill from there. They probably shouldn't have continued after Hook left.

Aerosmith absolutely. They were so solid when they first started hitting it big. Than they tried to become a true top 40 band.

I give Van Halen a pass. The only band that really hung in there despite changes to lead singer. They went with the voice that worked at that time and it was good. Yes they went a bit softer but still decent.

Gary Cherone as lead singer. Name a song with him on vocals.

I Wanna Know What Love Is is critically considered perhaps the best single of Foreigners career.

It is a great song. That Was Yesterday was another great song off that album. I was never a huge Foreigner fan but you can argue that Lou Gramm had one of the best voices in rock. Shame he lost it with his health issues. That was their downfall more than anything else

I think U2 became pretty bad, IMO. I'll retract my suggestion of REM. I think a lot of their later output was bad but just not my taste. Still think they should have quit after Berry left.

Believe it or not, I have given this issue a lot of thought over the years. I think it boils down to the fact that the 80s were probably the worst decade in history of modern pop music — by a mile!

In fact, I don’t even think that’s debatable. If you took a list of the top 25 worst chart topping songs of all-time, that list would be dominated by music from the 1980s.

This is just my rationale. It does not include any selections. Please don’t read any further if you’re not interested in the rationale. There is nothing sadder than seeing a grown man cry, especially about reading.

“They” always say do you always love the music of your teenage years the most. They also say that you will marry your mother. Finally, they always say that you get more conservative as you get older. None of those things are remotely true for me.

I think the music of my youth was largely garbage, I married a girl who could not be more different than my mom if she tried and I’ve never been less conservative in my life than I am right now.

Maybe a better way to put that last one is I’ve never been less trusting of conservatives than I am right now.

As for the music, I have this theory that teenagers and kids in early 20s — college kids — determine what is cool and what is not cool for the entire culture.

Then, all of the fashion houses along with the movie executives, record companies, etc., try to fish that hole.

Wherever there are young people with disposable income, there will be lots and lots of advertisers looking to court them and separate them from their parents’ money.

The problem is the record companies by their very nature can’t stop, so to fill the void they will typically put derivatives after derivatives after derivatives in there and before long, instead of NIN you end up Filter.

Also, teens are fickle and their tastes change. Additionally, it’s a short period in someone’s lives and new teens are there to replace them all the time, so the attitudes and preferences change quickly, which causes the fishing hole to move — often dramatically.

So, you have this natural tension between what the record companies want – which is stability and predictability in the market please – and what young people want – which is fresh new music that reflects their ever-evolving feelings/experiences.

I always look at the 80s as the first time the record companies had full control of the industry and fully understood how to exploit that control. Also, MTV’s impact cannot be overstated.

Unfortunately, that corporatization of the music led to a lot of very cynical measures, which in turn led to a ton of unfortunate outcomes.

One of the cynical measures would be to take really great artists and water them down for mass consumption. That’s what you saw with Starship and Heart. It’s also what we saw with legendary acts like Lionel Richie and Stevie Wonder.

How could an artist do something as amazing as Superstition and really, just a few years later, do something as pathetic as I Just Called to Say I Love You?

It would make more sense had it happened the other way. You’d have an artist that scuffed around for a bit and then found his voice. However, that’s not what happened there. Everyone’s music got demonstrably worse. It just all got so syrupy and inauthentic and plastic-y, and well, chintzy.

If I could pick one instrument to represent the music of the 1980s, I would choose the keyboard, and that’s not good.

In the UK, things were a little bit different. They are different culturally anyway and MTV hadn’t taken over there yet. They went a different route and, in my view, had far better outcomes. However, that’s a discussion for a different day.

Last edited:
I'm really curious where @recruitsreadtheseboards is going to go.

I don't know if this is... soft necessarily, but I'll say Tool.

Their early stuff went hard. Real hard. And their latest album was... a bunch of overly long, pretentious songs with no oompf. Very disappointing.

Thinking about bands that I like from the 70s, seems like transition to the 80s was really tough. Not many bands navigated that transition successfully. Genesis went from interesting prog band to boring pop act but at least they did it successfully

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I'm really curious where @recruitsreadtheseboards is going to go.

I don't know if this is... soft necessarily, but I'll say Tool.

Their early stuff went hard. Real hard. And their latest album was... a bunch of overly long, pretentious songs with no oompf. Very disappointing.

You couldn't be more wrong here. Listen to tempest and dont tell me that song doesnt melt your face

Reactions: BurghGuy68
ADVERTISEMENT