ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beer Ad

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
appealing to, instead of alienating, your customer base....now how hard was that? Larry Tate would be proud.

Reactions: RoguePanther
I don't get it. Was it a take on animal house/old school or something like that

hmm, kind of a long drawn out commercial that wasnt all that funny. but hey, at least they are trying again

I think what shocks me is that nobody at Budweiser seems to understand that their customer base buys their beer because it's cheap and that's pretty much it.
i dont know man, there are a ton of cheap beer options. bud is no cheaper than any other lighter domestic pilsner. actually, if you just want cheap beer with zero regards to taste, there are a ton of "better" options. busch lite, PBR, milwaukee's best all cheaper.

there used to actualy be a beer that just said "beer." White can, black letters on it. zero clue who made it or how it tasted, it was before my time.

in high school, we'd get 'american light," It was 5.99 a case. i think it was locally made too. i recall it tasted ok but in high school you are just happy to have beer and not an expert on taste..

i dont know man, there are a ton of cheap beer options. bud is no cheaper than any other lighter domestic pilsner. actually, if you just want cheap beer with zero regards to taste, there are a ton of "better" options. busch lite, PBR, milwaukee's best all cheaper.
People bought Bud Light because that's what their dad or friends drank. I don't think a lot of them realized that Bud Light was always popular with a certain other crowd, too. When all that went down, they switched to the other cheap brands. In the end, they want cheap beer that they can grab on their way home on payday. They found something else and stuck with it or they're switching back. A lot of Keystone Light gets sold up here in the forgotten lands which is pretty gross.

I think what shocks me is that nobody at Budweiser seems to understand that their customer base buys their beer because it's cheap and that's pretty much it.
I saw a guy at a distributor a few weeks ago who came in looking for a case of Bud Light specifically because he wanted the beer with the Steeler logo on the cans. Then the guy said that they didn’t have any yet, so he bought a case of Miller Light instead. Consumer preferences are wonky.

People bought Bud Light because that's what their dad or friends drank. I don't think a lot of them realized that Bud Light was always popular with a certain other crowd, too. When all that went down, they switched to the other cheap brands. In the end, they want cheap beer that they can grab on their way home on payday. They found something else and stuck with it or they're switching back. A lot of Keystone Light gets sold up here in the forgotten lands which is pretty gross.
my nighbor switched from bud light after the pr debacle to keystone light. man, it is bad and i drink your typical miller lite / ic light and i cant drink that.

I saw a guy at a distributor a few weeks ago who came in looking for a case of Bud Light specifically because he wanted the beer with the Steeler logo on the cans. Then the guy said that they didn’t have any yet, so he bought a case of Miller Light instead. Consumer preferences are wonky.
i recently switched up from miller lite to ic light solely because of the pitt cans. again, very little difference IMO between the two. coors light i'll drink if i have too but that tastes a tad odd to me. bud light, i never minded but yeah, the guy dressing up like a little 12 year old girl and doing commercials was the deal breaker for me..

Reactions: Parkview57
my nighbor switched from bud light after the pr debacle to keystone light. man, it is bad and i drink your typical miller lite / ic light and i cant drink that.
I don't drink a lot of beer (definitely a liquor guy) but it never once occurred to me that any of that stuff. I usually only but a case of beer when I'm having a party and it's usually Bush Light just because I like the aluminum bottles. I usually keep some Bud Light around for a relative that prefers it but that's it. I do like the IC Light stuff that's like mango flavored or something. Hits just right when you're hot and thirsty but it takes me forever to drink a case of anything.

Oh yeah. It blows my mind that some of these marketing things work or that "outrages" blow up the way they do while other brands just whistle past it while doing similar things. Whatever. People can spend their money however they like. Find it all pretty amusing.

there used to actualy be a beer that just said "beer." White can, black letters on it. zero clue who made it or how it tasted, it was before my time.

in high school, we'd get 'american light," It was 5.99 a case. i think it was locally made too. i recall it tasted ok but in high school you are just happy to have beer and not an expert on taste..

I remember when, at Foodland and whatnot, you could buy a white bag of chips that just said "CHIPS" in black lettering. Straight up looked like something that should be in someone's end of the world bunker.

Reactions: Tucker99
I remember when, at Foodland and whatnot, you could buy a white bag of chips that just said "CHIPS" in black lettering. Straight up looked like something that should be in someone's end of the world bunker.

R.8dbd02a753d6be08ec7dceb9dfdec8b7

I usually only but a case of beer when I'm having a party and it's usually Bush Light just because I like the aluminum bottles.
The original aluminum bottle was IC Light, right? I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh Brewing invented the aluminum bottle. Do they not sell it anymore?

Taste, lmfao. All these beers mentioned are terrible. They’re good for pounding and getting hammered.

I got out of the game (had to go gluten free) just before these craft beers started blowing up. When I was still drinking regular beer, if you wanted something fancy beyond the domestics, you got like Heineken, Amstel, or Dos Equis lol.

But I swear the more effort that is put into a beer the less I like it. The gluten free beers have gotten fancy now, too, and most of them are just nasty (to me). I'd rather drink Auroch's Light, which most reminds me of the old domestics I used to drink... other than it being $85/case.

The original aluminum bottle was IC Light, right? I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh Brewing invented the aluminum bottle. Do they not sell it anymore?
i believe PIttsburgh brewing company was the first to roll out the aluminum cans back in the 60's or 70's. no idea if they got the patent on it though.

Think the "bottles" made from aluminum were much later, in the 90s.

I don't know. I've seen them with Coors and Bud Light, too.
i just heard that it was rolling rock or whatever latrobe brewing company that invented the "peel off" caps they had on beer cans back in the day.

again, maybe just rumor but i thought that was interesting..

lol, great point. i was waiting and waiting and waiting for this to be funny. i guess it's a positive that you dont have a dude in a wig as your spokesperson and all but still, lets step it up a bit here..
For years beer companies' advertising mostly portrayed men as being total morons. That it took putting a "dude in a wig" to create a PR backlash is rather amusing.

This is obviously targeted at the 40 to 60 something male who still drinks way too much crappy beer - a part of the market they lost when they tried to go after the guys in skirts during March Madness.

A parity of a movie that was produced in 1978 isn't trying to reach today's college student.

The question now is will it work? I have my doubts, but it will be fun to continue to follow this massive marketing blunder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT