A Bronx Tale (you know the scene)
Dazed and Confused
Straight Outta Compton
Boogie Nights
Blow
Pretty In Pink
Saturday Night Fever
Sleepers
Risky Business (the greatest, ok 2nd greatest Tom Cruise movie)
American Graffiti
Empire Records
Trainspotting

Goodfellas.
Dazed and Confused
Straight Outta Compton
Boogie Nights
Blow
Pretty In Pink
Saturday Night Fever
Sleepers
American Graffiti
Empire Records
Trainspotting

Streets of Fire
Eddie and the Cruisers,
8'Mile
The 5 Heartbeats
Pal Joey

Last edited:
Goodfellas.
Dazed and Confused
Straight Outta Compton
Boogie Nights
Blow
Pretty In Pink
Saturday Night Fever
Sleepers
American Graffiti
Empire Records
Trainspotting
Boyz in the hood and it's not close

I didn’t really like dazed and confused or Aerosmith but it’s hard not to love the opening scene of that movie and the use of sweet emotion

I’ll add big Lebowski. The funniest scene in that movie is when they cut the scene where the neighbor is bashing the dude’s car straight to the three guys in the dude’s car, no windows, eating in n out, with oye como va in the background. Priceless.

Reactions: pittdan77
I didn’t really like dazed and confused or Aerosmith but it’s hard not to love the opening scene of that movie and the use of sweet emotion

I’ll add big Lebowski. The funniest scene in that movie is when they cut the scene where the neighbor is bashing the dude’s car straight to the three guys in the dude’s car, no windows, eating in n out, with oye como va in the background. Priceless.
You didn't like Dazed and Confused? I am sorry, I am going to have to put you on ignore for that!!! LOL

Reactions: mike412
I was talking more about soundtracks that have popular songs in regards to songs that reflect the time/mood of the film as opposed to movie scores written for the movie.

I realized that after I posted, and I debated deleting my response in shame! But then I decided to leave it because they fit the mood of the films perfectly. I STAND BY MY DECISION.

Also:

Remember the Titans.

I think this thread lost its way. Maybe I misunderstood the original intent but I thought the idea is to name movies that have soundtracks that capture the time/place, and the mood/tone of the movie, as opposed to just movies with great soundtracks. That rules out any of these fantasy, non-period movies like Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc, as well as movies like the Godfather that have a soundtrack specifically made for the movie. Taking the Godfather for example; Does the music set the tone and mood? Absolutely--masterfully. Does it evoke a time and place that people can relate to? Not in the least. Same with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or "any movie scored by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross". Take Rushmore for example-Great movie, great soundtrack, but most of it was Mark Mothersbaugh (how many people know who that is, even members of the Devo generation like myself) songs wrote specifically for the movie--and the rest was mostly deep cuts of late 60s/early 70s British Invasion rock. Is it a great movie and soundtrack? Undoubtedly. Does it set the mood/tone for the movie? Uniquely. Does it evoke the time/place, i.e. an uber-elite private school in late 90s suburban Houston? I don't think so.

None of those would qualify by my interpretation of the OP. The list posted by the OP consists of movies that all do fit the bill. Some not the greatest movies on earth, some not the greatest soundtracks (can a movie even be great without a great soundtrack?), but they fit the time/place/mood/tone of their respective movies perfectly.

I got a little carried away here--Friday morning and I don't feel much like working.

tarantino does a really good job with soundtracks for his movies.. it's almost an art form the way he does it.. the songs he picks really sets the mood perfect for his movies..

i contrast it with a movie like forrest gump that just picked 50 songs that everyone knows and forces it in there just for the sake of creating a soundtrack.. Vietnam scene, play a cliché CCR song. 60's drug scene, play a few "doors" songs. chick getting on bus to go to california, play "California dreamin" he's running across country, play "running on empty"

again, pretty cliché. it's not exactly genius, pretty simplistic actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I think this thread lost its way. Maybe I misunderstood the original intent but I thought the idea is to name movies that have soundtracks that capture the time/place, and the mood/tone of the movie, as opposed to just movies with great soundtracks. That rules out any of these fantasy, non-period movies like Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc, as well as movies like the Godfather that have a soundtrack specifically made for the movie. Taking the Godfather for example; Does the music set the tone and mood? Absolutely--masterfully. Does it evoke a time and place that people can relate to? Not in the least. Same with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or "any movie scored by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross". Take Rushmore for example-Great movie, great soundtrack, but most of it was Mark Mothersbaugh (how many people know who that is, even members of the Devo generation like myself) songs wrote specifically for the movie--and the rest was mostly deep cuts of late 60s/early 70s British Invasion rock. Is it a great movie and soundtrack? Undoubtedly. Does it set the mood/tone for the movie? Uniquely. Does it evoke the time/place, i.e. an uber-elite private school in late 90s suburban Houston? I don't think so.

None of those would qualify by my interpretation of the OP. The list posted by the OP consists of movies that all do fit the bill. Some not the greatest movies on earth, some not the greatest soundtracks (can a movie even be great without a great soundtrack?), but they fit the time/place/mood/tone of their respective movies perfectly.

I got a little carried away here--Friday morning and I don't feel much like working.
Thank you.

Some that have been mentioned:

Dazed and Confused.
Empire Records.
Saturday Night Fever.
Risky Business.
American Graffiti.

Two I haven’t seen mentioned:

Urban Cowboy.
Ten Things I Hate About You.

The list posted by the OP consists of movies that all do fit the bill. Some not the greatest movies on earth, some not the greatest soundtracks (can a movie even be great without a great soundtrack?), but they fit the time/place/mood/ tone of their respective movies perfectly.

The simple answer is Yes.

While a soundtrack done well help can amplify a feeling or create a specific mood filmmakers want their audience to experience and it can ultimately make a film richer and more powerful (just try taking the music out of The Godfather), it is not necessary in order for a film to be great. Excellent movies can be (and have been) made without a perfect soundtrack or even a soundtrack at all.

The Celebration and Network are examples of two excellent movies without a soundtrack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT