ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Rock Drummers of the modern era

If you guys want to see something check this out

Vinnie… Dave…. Steve…. No last names necessary…. I first saw this 1990 as a student at PITT…. Absolutely mind blowing stuff.

Loop Drumming GIF

It's not even close.

Vinnie… Dave…. Steve…. No last names necessary…. I first saw this 1990 as a student at PITT…. Absolutely mind blowing stuff.

I love this video. I watch it once every few months.

Weckl is maybe my favorite drummer hands down.

Reactions: DruidTM
So. I want to first admit that if god bestowed us with gifts, he did not bestow me with musicianship. My art quotient is in the idea and written word, not playing or writing music.

But if we want to go geekie and to continue on to the original post (mine) in this thread: This is fantastic.

Reactions: Grass and Ski11585
So. I want to first admit that if god bestowed us with gifts, he did not bestow me with musicianship. My art quotient is in the idea and written word, not playing or writing music.

But if we want to go geekie and to continue on to the original post (mine) in this thread: This is fantastic.

I’ve seen this clip before and it’s great.

Carey ticks all the boxes for me to consider someone a great drummer. 1: Do they have great chops? Definitely. 2: Is he innovative and helping to drive drumming forward? Of course. 3: Does he know how to lay back and fit in the pocket? For sure.

Carey ticks all 3. Ringo ticks one. He can stay in the pocket and that’s about it.

I’ve seen this clip before and it’s great.

Carey ticks all the boxes for me to consider someone a great drummer. 1: Do they have great chops? Definitely. 2: Is he innovative and helping to drive drumming forward? Of course. 3: Does he know how to lay back and fit in the pocket? For sure.

Carey ticks all 3. Ringo ticks one. He can stay in the pocket and that’s about it.
I've always preferred to say in the pocket. I've always thought that most drum solos are boring as hell. Show your chops in the structure of the song with interesting fills and interplay with the other musicians, especially the bassist and if you have a keyboard player, his left hand.

I totally agree that excessive drum solos are a bit overwrought. They are like those endless action movies where eventually get numb to the explosions and actions shots. It's excessive and overkill.

Glad to see Chad Smith got his due. He’s overlooked and underrated.

Todd Sucherman of STYX deserves to be on a list of great modern drummers.

Another drummer whom I don’t expect to be mentioned but deserves attention is Cindy Blackman Santana. She’s the wife of Carlos Santana, and she’s amazing. I saw her with Santana’s band this summer, and I couldn’t believe how good she is.

I don’t know how far back we’re going, but I’ll mention (the late) Jeff Porcaro, too.

Yeah I just started this because the question on Twitter (which is still running by the way) was asked who is basically #4 on the Mt Rushmore of Rock Drummers with Moon, Bonham and Peart.

I said Stewart Copeland of the Police (if you listen to early Police and that Ska sound, he was just phenomenal and complex)

Chad Smith (because I think he and Flea along with Chancellor and Carey and maybe Cummerfield and Wilk) are the best rhythm sections in modern rock and of course

Tool's Danny Carey.

But yeah, Grohl, Wilk, Baker, Hawkins, Fleetwood, Bozzio, Matt Cameron, Meg White, the chick who drummed for Slater Kinney (forget her name), Adrien Young of No Doubt all are among my favorites.
PJ has had an embarrassment or riches. Dave A or MFC? They also had Dave Klauson and Jack Irons. Abruzzesse was unreal and got screwed.

Oh god. I've taken drums for 3 months now and my teacher made me watch this during a session two weeks. Unreal. Vinnie with old school left hand

PJ has had an embarrassment or riches. Dave A or MFC? They also had Dave Klauson and Jack Irons. Abruzzesse was unreal and got screwed.
Was really surprised, and disappointed when they got elected to the RRHOF, they brought back Dave Krusen and not Abruzzesse.

Reactions: noelr
Allow me to add Martin Chambers from the Pretenders.

I remember when I felt this way. Then I started talking with drummers and the quickly enlightened me on how criminally underrated Ringo has always been.
I dunno. I’ve been drumming for 30 years. Even debated a career as a professional musician until I decided I wanted a job when I was older. I just don’t see it. To be fair though, I can’t stand the Beatles so that general opinion probably clouds my feelings on Ringo.

I dunno. I’ve been drumming for 30 years. Even debated a career as a professional musician until I decided I wanted a job when I was older. I just don’t see it. To be fair though, I can’t stand the Beatles so that general opinion probably clouds my feelings on Ringo.
Hey that's cool! It's so subjective so that's what makes music awesome. One of the big things I hear about Ringo and have noticed myself since is that he plays a right handed drum set up lefthanded. So it creates a unique sound that is very silky smooth. If you watch the Get Back documentary its also cool to see him jump in on any piece of music and come up with the part the other guys liked. As a guitarist I really appreciate that because drums really brings a song alive

Reactions: Ski11585
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT