ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Bill Curry

TFBaum

Junior
Jan 22, 2020
When I was a kid KDKA had a sport newscaster I think his name was Bill Curry and he billed himself as the “Mouth from the South”. Does anyone know how he go the position in Pittsburgh?

Sweet ole Bill .... I have no clue how he got a Pittsburgh gig ....
He would wear these loud blazers akin to The Gunner ... Bob Prince ...
Oh those were the days ...
I was to young really to remember the blazers I just remember my father being disgusted that a southern voice was on Pittsburgh tv.

Reactions: mike 301
Reactions: PittFathead87
Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Bill Currie spoke at a Jaycees wife appreciation banquet in the 1980’s that I attended.
We chuckled at his humor. Some of it was on the edge. But in today’s environment this banquet would never would have happened.

Reactions: TFBaum
When I was a kid KDKA had a sport newscaster I think his name was Bill Curry and he billed himself as the “Mouth from the South”. Does anyone know how he go the position in Pittsburgh?

Loved that guy. Funny as Hell!

Reactions: Saboteur II
I can't quite remember the one saying he had, something like
"Here's the difference between Truth and Hope, when a new baby is born and mother says "That's my boy", that is Truth, but when father walks in and says "That's my boy!" that is Hope.

• Haha
Reactions: caleco's
Bill Currie's improbable act was a hit in Pittsburgh. He was, like Bob Prince and later Myron Cope, a character. He stood out on stodgy KDKA like a cat at the Westminster Kennel Club. He could reduce his staid talk show partner, Marie Torre, to hysterical laughter. Loud, funny, irreverent -- and a reverend. Currie dared to rail against station executives (the Yummies up on Carpet Corridor). He gleefully subbed as the weatherman one time when the on-air talent had to draw the forecast on a board. But Currie's favorite targets were the pompous and the self-important. Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn (the Grand Poobah) among them. Group W convinced Currie to move his act to a sister station in Philadelphia, but that did not end well.

In the timeframe that the Rev Bill was here, Pittsburgh was the 9th or 10th largest media market in the USA... big-time talent started, or progressed through here to other Group W affiliates or even outside media groups. Dick Stockton was at KDKA for time, too. Pgh is a quirky town and occasionally quirky media characters are adopted here... as noted above.

A final aside - the tremendous conglomerate that was The Westinghouse Electric Corporation chose to atomize itself (under then-CEO Michael Jordan) into, solely, it's Group W Broadcasting entity. Then, with the proceeds collected from selling off all of those fabulous old businesses (WESCO, Schindler, Turbines, Distribution & Control, Electronics/Avionics, ThermoKing, etc.) Group W acquired CBS Broadcasting. Whose annual report to this day cites "... dba, Westinghouse Electric Corp".

It is my considered opinion that George Westinghouse, and later the corporation that bore his name, was THE most influential business presence in Pittsburgh's history. More even than Carnegie and the multiple metals/machining/mining businesses he spun-up during what would become US Steel.

BTW, the fact that region played a very big role in so many crucial industries - steel, aluminum, gas, oil, power generation, electricity, banking/finance, mining, glass, coatings, even aerospace - it just beggars the mind.

Our downtown, gorgeous as it is, could be a new real estate development in Manhattan if it were dropped onto the island. Yet, in the year that my late father was born (1920) into a large, immigrant Slovak family on the North Side, this city contained more bank wealth than any other in the WORLD!... except for New York. More than Chicago, San Francisco, London, Berlin, Tokyo.

That is freakin' fantastic.

In the timeframe that the Rev Bill was here, Pittsburgh was the 9th or 10th largest media market in the USA... big-time talent started, or progressed through here to other Group W affiliates or even outside media groups. Dick Stockton was at KDKA for time, too. Pgh is a quirky town and occasionally quirky media characters are adopted here... as noted above.

A final aside - the tremendous conglomerate that was The Westinghouse Electric Corporation chose to atomize itself (under then-CEO Michael Jordan) into, solely, it's Group W Broadcasting entity. Then, with the proceeds collected from selling off all of those fabulous old businesses (WESCO, Schindler, Turbines, Distribution & Control, Electronics/Avionics, ThermoKing, etc.) Group W acquired CBS Broadcasting. Whose annual report to this day cites "... dba, Westinghouse Electric Corp".

It is my considered opinion that George Westinghouse, and later the corporation that bore his name, was THE most influential business presence in Pittsburgh's history. More even than Carnegie and the multiple metals/machining/mining businesses he spun-up during what would become US Steel.

BTW, the fact that region played a very big role in so many crucial industries - steel, aluminum, gas, oil, power generation, electricity, banking/finance, mining, glass, coatings, even aerospace - it just beggars the mind.

Our downtown, gorgeous as it is, could be a new real estate development in Manhattan if it were dropped onto the island. Yet, in the year that my late father was born (1920) into a large, immigrant Slovak family on the North Side, this city contained more bank wealth than any other in the WORLD!... except for New York. More than Chicago, San Francisco, London, Berlin, Tokyo.

Excellent post and you make me want Halušky.

It is my considered opinion that George Westinghouse, and later the corporation that bore his name, was THE most influential business presence in Pittsburgh's history.
Born and raised in the midst of it .... East Pittsburgh and surrounding little towns were the happening and hopping places that really did prosper .. So sad now but time moves on I guess .. Great post BTW ....

Born and raised in the midst of it .... East Pittsburgh and surrounding little towns were the happening and hopping places that really did prosper .. So sad now but time moves on I guess .. Great post BTW ....
Thanks Mr 301. I have a passion for this great region... it is among America's treasures

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
The Pittsburgh media market was highly coveted then. Bill was good and went big time. Funny, but he lived in Steubenville for awhile when getting divorced

Jordan came in because Westinghouse Credit high risk low reward financing debacles nearly took down the entire ship.

Pittsburgh has been blessed with some fantastic media personalities over the years. Cope, Prince, the aforementioned Reverend Bill. Heck, even guys like O'Brien & Gary, Uncle Ed Shaughnessy, Perry Marshall, John Cigna, Fred Honsberger, Uncle Dougie - Doug Hoerth, Lynne Cullen, the Pattie & Daddy noon news, Bruce Keiden & Scott Paulsen had their day and were all treasures in a way.

I make fun of Bill Hillgrove all the time and to an extent he deserves it. But I will say this, it will be a very sad day in Pittsburgh when he retires. He is the last of a dying breed.

Reactions: TFBaum
Jordan came in because Westinghouse Credit high risk low reward financing debacles nearly took down the entire ship.
It did take down the ship. Sad thing is 30 years later GE credit did the exact same thing to GE. Westinghouse start USA network and sold it for $650 million. The purchase of CBS turned out to be a reverse merger.

Reactions: Saboteur II
ADVERTISEMENT