ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bruno Sammartino passes on

You must be young! I watched Bruno live in Pittsburgh in the 60's. Bruno could not have beaten an average college Hwt wrestler. He knew NO wrestling moves whatsoever. There were no real wrestling at all during Bruno's time. Vern Ganye(sp?) was the last pro wrestler who actually did some real wrestling moves as well as being one of the all time great real wrestlers.
I have spent time in the wrestling hall of fame in Waterloo IA. Back in the day, pre 1950's, the pro wrestlers could actually wrestle. Dan Hodge won the Word Championship in Yankee stadium with 70,000 fans and that was the front page headline of the NY Times.
the front page headline of the NY Times.
oh, geez, we got this guy...

Does anyone here remember Smokey Smocharski from Pitt?

He wrestled heavyweight and was huge. At least 375 and maybe even 4 bills.

Nice guy. Always wondered if he tried the pro wrestling circuit.

Reactions: bubba31
You must be young! I watched Bruno live in Pittsburgh in the 60's. Bruno could not have beaten an average college Hwt wrestler. He knew NO wrestling moves whatsoever. There were no real wrestling at all during Bruno's time. Vern Ganye(sp?) was the last pro wrestler who actually did some real wrestling moves as well as being one of the all time great real wrestlers.
I have spent time in the wrestling hall of fame in Waterloo IA. Back in the day, pre 1950's, the pro wrestlers could actually wrestle. Dan Hodge won the Word Championship in Yankee stadium with 70,000 fans and that was the front page headline of the NY Times.
the front page headline of the NY Times.

Thom67,

Actually Bruno said his first exposure to wrestling of any kind was with Rex Peery at Pitt. Apparently Peery saw Bruno working out and asked him to come workout with the team even though Bruno was not a student. Not say Bruno would have been a good armature wrestler but he did know the moves.

Mark Madden would not talk about Bruno on his show. I found that odd, given Madden's close ties to "rasslin'".... MM said he was not a Bruno fan but did not explain. I wonder what bug got up his butt?

Mark Madden would not talk about Bruno on his show. I found that odd, given Madden's close ties to "rasslin'".... MM said he was not a Bruno fan but did not explain. I wonder what bug got up his butt?

it would have to be HUGE bug to fit in maddens caboose...

Thom67,

Actually Bruno said his first exposure to wrestling of any kind was with Rex Peery at Pitt. Apparently Peery saw Bruno working out and asked him to come workout with the team even though Bruno was not a student. Not say Bruno would have been a good armature wrestler but he did know the moves.
I actually was there when Bruno worked out. He knew nothing about wrestling. All he could do was grab and push. He was very strong though. I certainly did not want to mess with him. I could not have moved him at all.

Does anyone here remember Smokey Smocharski from Pitt?

He wrestled heavyweight and was huge. At least 375 and maybe even 4 bills.

Nice guy. Always wondered if he tried the pro wrestling circuit.

i remember Big Smoke

He likely was well over 400 lbs at Pitt. Heard he died a few years ago of cancer.

Sad loss of a really good guy.

Bruno probably threatened to body slam the arrogant POS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT