ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Build An All-time NBA Team...

That is very close to mine, except I have Hakeem at C.

PG - Nash (2)
SG - MJ (5)
SF - KD (2)
PF - LBJ (5)
C - HO (1)
Yeah, Hakeem at 1 point is a crime. KG vs the Dream was my biggest decision... Hakeem was the better player overall, but I thought KG offered a little more versatility and I thought would be a better fit for the type of team I had in mind (a little more pace and space). I think KG would have been a monster on a team with more talent (such as this one), and could have really shown more of a perimeter game at the 5 spot, but no qualms with Hakeem here.

Reactions: galladt
PG - Magic (5)
SG - Steph (4)
SF - Bird (4)
PF - Scottie (1)
C - Hakeem (1)

I thought Wilt at $3 was the biggest steal

Lebron and MJ greatest of all time.

This team is the winner!

Wilt
Garnett
Lebron
MJ
Nash

Reactions: Ski11585
I thought Wilt at $3 was the biggest steal

Lebron and MJ greatest of all time.

This team is the winner!

Wilt
Garnett
Lebron
MJ
Nash
You’re over budget.

But seems we has the same gameplan.
Wilt is the best bargain.

If I have wilt, lebron, and Jordan-
I only need the point guard to distribute and defend- so Paul is a bargain.

Garnett’s length and versatility help.

It’s a high compete level team who can both score and defend at elite levels.

Reactions: bobfree
You’re over budget.

But seems we has the same gameplan.
Wilt is the best bargain.

If I have wilt, lebron, and Jordan-
I only need the point guard to distribute and defend- so Paul is a bargain.

Garnett’s length and versatility help.

It’s a high compete level team who can both score and defend at elite levels.

Oh shit I am! I thought Nash was $1

Yes your team exactly.

Walt Frazier/Jerry West
Michael Jordan
Willis Reed
James Worthy/Dave Debusschere
Scotty Pippin/ Bill Bradley

And this guy Kurt Rambis coming off the bench who gets an A+ for effort.
avatars-000016147368-2arsa6-t500x500.jpg

The last time I watched an NBA game was when these guys were playing. That was real basketball!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
How about this team that consists of greats not listed above?

PG - Oscar Robertson
SG - Jerry West
C - Dwight Howard
PF - Elvin Hayes
SF - Reggie Miller

And then, like Bob Nutting, I get to keep the money instead of paying out players' salaries!

PG - Oscar Robertson
SG - Jerry West
C - Dwight Howard
PF - Elvin Hayes
SF - Reggie Miller

And then, like Bob Nutting, I get to keep the money instead of paying out players' salaries!

-The Big O is arguably the best point guard of all time with Magic. Not being listed is downright silly. 26 /10 /8, he and Wilt are statistically two of the best ever with Jerry West. Iv'e got 5 of the Top 10 players of All Time on my team, and only used 13 bucks. I've also got 4 of the Top 6 All Time Top scorers in NBA history in PPG for a career. The Big O was one of the first players I looked for, and got him for free.

PG-Big O-0
SG-West-0
Sf-Jordan-5
Pf-James-5
C-Chamberlain-3

Reactions: HOF Coach
Stupidest decision: whoever put Bill Russell on the $2 line.

Easiest decision: take Bill Russell for $2.

I’ll still say $1 for Hakeem is the worst, but Russell certainly should’ve been a line higher as well.

The more posts I read the more great players /how can you not include these guys are selected.
Great thread!
I love old school NBA!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

How is a future top 10 player in KD only $2.

I think that's probably the biggest steal.

How is a future top 10 player in KD only $2.

I think that's probably the biggest steal.
Could a team consisted of the 5 guys at the $2 level beat a team consisting of the guys at the $3 level?

Or the $4 level?

Or the $5 level?

Food for thought...

PG - Oscar Robertson
SG - Jerry West
C - Dwight Howard
PF - Elvin Hayes
SF - Reggie Miller

I won’t even pick a list. The Big O is arguably the best player EVER and is not on the list. And how about the LOGO, Jerry West. You could take West, Oscar and Wilt and Bill Russell at power forward and you have an all time 4 man team with 10 bucks left.

I won’t even pick a list. The Big O is arguably the best player EVER and is not on the list. And how about the LOGO, Jerry West. You could take West, Oscar and Wilt and Bill Russell at power forward and you have an all time 4 man team with 10 bucks left.

-I always look at peak of career stats followed by career stats.

-If you look at Chamberlain, his peak was 51 points per game and 26 rebounds per game for the entire 1962 season. Russel put up 19 points per game and 23 rebounds per game the same exact season, and averaged 15 points per game for a career. Russel has the rings, but Chamberlain at peak is untouchable and was flat out unstoppable.

-Big O. 31 points per game, 13 rebounds per game, 12 assist per game in 1962 season. The numbers are video game stats and so superior to every one else its comical. This stat line will never be matched in NBA history, ever. Magic Johnson after looking at his stats isnt even close to this time of dominance.

-Jordan Peak. 37 points per game, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals per game in 1987. Again, insane numbers.

-West Peak. 35 points per game, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and averaged a whopping 42 points per game in the playoffs that year. West averaged 29 points per game in the playoffs for his entire career, 3rd best All Time.

-Yea, Big O and West are criminally underrated. Starters on my team easily.

-I always look at peak of career stats followed by career stats.

-If you look at Chamberlain, his peak was 51 points per game and 26 rebounds per game for the entire 1962 season. Russel put up 19 points per game and 23 rebounds per game the same exact season, and averaged 15 points per game for a career. Russel has the rings, but Chamberlain at peak is untouchable and was flat out unstoppable.

-Big O. 31 points per game, 13 rebounds per game, 12 assist per game in 1962 season. The numbers are video game stats and so superior to every one else its comical. This stat line will never be matched in NBA history, ever. Magic Johnson after looking at his stats isnt even close to this time of dominance.

-Jordan Peak. 37 points per game, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals per game in 1987. Again, insane numbers.

-West Peak. 35 points per game, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and averaged a whopping 42 points per game in the playoffs that year. West averaged 29 points per game in the playoffs for his entire career, 3rd best All Time.

-Yea, Big O and West are criminally underrated. Starters on my team easily.

So superior? C'mon, Steel. You're being absurd. We just saw a guy average 37, 11 and 10 just LAST YEAR. And he did so in about 30 less possessions per game than in 1962, which makes it arguably even MORE impressive.

Last edited:
Let’s not get crazy about 31 12 and 12. It’s not as out of this world as you suggest. We saw a dude average 31 10 and 10 just a year ago.

-It is when you shoot 48% from the floor. Westbrook is a nice player, but he cant shoot like a great player should shoot. He is a Camelo Anthony gunner, but his rebound and assist numbers are impressive for a guard.

An actual team that is distributed in a way that makes sense in role distribution?

G: Curry ($4)
G: Durant ($2)
F: Lebron ($5)
F: Dirk ($3)
C: Hakeem ($1)

That team built around Lebron penetrating could not be stopped. The spacing would be incredible and you couldn't play off of any of those shooters. You can post 4 of the players up and not be stopped. Defensively you have an elite rim protector and 2 guys who can defend as well as they want.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
An actual team that is distributed in a way that makes sense in role distribution?

G: Curry ($4)
G: Durant ($2)
F: Lebron ($5)
F: Dirk ($3)
C: Hakeem ($1)

That team built around Lebron penetrating could not be stopped. The spacing would be incredible and you couldn't play off of any of those shooters. You can post 4 of the players up and not be stopped. Defensively you have an elite rim protector and 2 guys who can defend as well as they want.

-Durant trying to guard Jerry West would be a slaughter. If Curry is considered a great shooter, and if West had a 3 point line back in his day, his point per game numbers would be jacked through the roof and better then just about everybody not named Wilt. Jerry West finished in the top-10 in FG% 4 times in his career, and twice in the top-4. That's UNHEARD of for a guard. Good luck with Durant stopping him. Although I like these all time player debates.

-Durant trying to guard Jerry West would be a slaughter. If Curry is considered a great shooter, and if West had a 3 point line back in his day, his point per game numbers would be jacked through the roof and better then just about everybody not named Wilt. Jerry West finished in the top-10 in FG% 4 times in his career, and twice in the top-4. That's UNHEARD of for a guard. Good luck with Durant stopping him. Although I like these all time player debates.
Durant is 7ft and more athletic. He wouldn't get close to slaughtered.

-Jerry West is fast and has the fastest jump shot release in NBA history. He also had killer range.

Even if you think that, the problem is that they are going to spend half the game on the other end of the court. And West would have no chance, and I mean quite literally no chance, to ever guard Durant. Durant could post him up and dunk over him all night long. Durant could stand at the three point line and essentially shoot uncontested jumpers all game long. If that was a matchup you'd try to play you'd have to get West off the court asap because if you didn't your team would get completely and utterly destroyed on the defensive end.

Reactions: Jpripper88
And he did so in about 30 less possessions per game than in 1962, which makes it arguably even MORE impressive.

Which is, of course, the problem with just looking at the raw numbers. Robertson's numbers from 62 aren't unmatchable because it was the greatest season ever, it's unmatchable because they don't play the game the same way anymore. It's unmatchable because the difference in talent between the top guys, like Robertson, and the average and bad players in the league was substantially greater 50 or 60 years ago. It was easy for Robertson or Chamberlain to exploit those kinds of guys and the pace of play to put up numbers that simply aren't possible today. That doesn't mean those guys were better, or for that matter worse, but you have to do something that steel has never understood, and that's put things in their proper context.

Even if you think that, the problem is that they are going to spend half the game on the other end of the court. And West would have no chance, and I mean quite literally no chance, to ever guard Durant. Durant could post him up and dunk over him all night long. Durant could stand at the three point line and essentially shoot uncontested jumpers all game long. If that was a matchup you'd try to play you'd have to get West off the court asap because if you didn't your team would get completely and utterly destroyed on the defensive end.

-I would find it interesting since West and the Big O were two of the best defenders in the league in their time, before defensive POY awards were handed out. And Ill put the Big O, a 6'5 220lb Power Guard on Durant. West can take Curry on defense. In those days games were actually physical, not touch with your pinky, flop and get a foul called.

Which is, of course, the problem with just looking at the raw numbers. Robertson's numbers from 62 aren't unmatchable because it was the greatest season ever, it's unmatchable because they don't play the game the same way anymore. It's unmatchable because the difference in talent between the top guys, like Robertson, and the average and bad players in the league was substantially greater 50 or 60 years ago. It was easy for Robertson or Chamberlain to exploit those kinds of guys and the pace of play to put up numbers that simply aren't possible today. That doesn't mean those guys were better, or for that matter worse, but you have to do something that steel has never understood, and that's put things in their proper context.[/QUOTE

This is the exact same issue as when measuring baseball pitchers from 100 years ago. The difference between the good and not good players was so measurable that pitchers only had to really bear down a certain few times a game, that’s a major reason they could throw so many innings a year.

Sometimes you’ll hear people say how many more teams there are now but that’s even a faultier argument. Due to the massive difference in population it was a lot easier to become a major leaguer than it is now percentage wise.

IMHO Wilt was too temperamental and/or focused on having fun (good for him!) to be a good teammate despite his incredible individual dominance. You'd need EXACTLY the right coach to motivate him, and that only happens with Alex Hannum I would argue. Also you could hack-a-shaq him, unlike Kareem, a good foul shooter. So I think the $3 is reasonable despite his incredible individual stats.

----

C - Kareem. All time leading scorer, "the Cap", defensive anchor, good outlet passer, unblockable hook shot, good counter moves, and a better free throw shooter than guys you could go hack-a-Shaq on (Shaq, Wilt.) You don't want your center to be taken out of the game because he's going to shoot 45% from the foul line. 6 championships, 6 time MVP, 2 finals MVPs, 10 time all defensive team, very intelligent. Moody at times, but $5 and worth it.

PF - Dirk. One of the best shooters in NBA history at 7 feet tall. Weak defender, but a buck cheaper than Bird. Good passer, good teammate, no major ego problems. $3.

SF - Pippen. A steal at $1. When Jordan was playing baseball, he was a guy grabbing serious MVP votes, dragging an only "decent" roster within a game of the NBA finals. Great two way player and is ok with being Robin to the other Batmen on this team.

SG - Jordan. The best two way player in NBA history? Great competitor. Like Pippen, he can guard multiple positions, which is important since Nash and Dirk are my weaker defenders. $5

PG - Nash. Wouldn't insist on trying to do it all, can play on or off the ball, a 50/40/90 guy like Dirk, maybe the best non-Stockton pick and roll point guard ever. You simply can't go under on screens against him. $1.

This line up has three "unblockable" shots - Jordan's fadeaway, Dirk's fall away, and Kareem's hook, in addition to the ability to move the ball with so many good passers. My only weakness is my two white guys will give up some baskets.

Last edited:
Steel_curtain wildly off again.

Big O. 31 points per game, 13 rebounds per game, 12 assist per game in 1962 season. The numbers are video game stats and so superior to every one else its comical.

Oscar also didn't believe it was "his job" to play defense, so he didn't. He was also a surly and difficult teammate, which is why guys like Jerry Lucas and Jack Twyman and Maurice Stokes weren't enough for them to advance as far as they should have.

Oscar was a great player, no doubt, but he wasn't even the best point guard of his era -- Jerry West was a better defender and better shooter, also longer arms and quicker first step. Oscar was physically stronger though and might have the edge in court vision. I'd actually rather have Walt Frazier than The Big O on a super team because he was a little smarter, edgier, and a better defender. You don't really need a great rebounding point guard when you have all-time great centers and power forwards on your team anyway!

Also, as already mentioned, the game was pretty different in 1962 because of the frantic pace. Some other statistics that year:
- Wilt averaged 50.4 points a game and 26 rebounds
- Russell averaged 24 rebounds a game
- Walt Bellamy, a rookie, averaged 32 points and 19 rebounds a game
- A past his prime Bob Petit averaged 31 and 19

The players voted for the MVP in those days. They voted for Russell. Probably because he was a winner, even if his stats weren't as elite. They knew how tough he was to play against.

It would have been hard for journalists to vote on the award considering games generally weren't on TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski11585
If we're playing position-less basketball, I'd go with all wings and a big. Heck, I'm even under budget. There's already enough ball-handlers on the team - wouldn't really need a point guard.

Michael Jordan (5)
Scottie Pippen (1)
LeBron James (5)
Kevin Durant (2)
Hakeem Olajuwon (1)

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Oscar is a criminally OVERRATED player all time.

He played for the Royals for 10 years, and Cincinnati only won 2 playoff series in that time, in large part because he was a notoriously much worse playoff player. He played along other great teammates (most notably Jerry Lucas who was 1st or 2nd-team All-NBA for 5 straight years while playing next to Oscar -- the Royals actually missed the playoffs in '68 despite O and Lucas both being 1st-team All-NBA -- talk about hollow stats -- the Celtics had no 1st-teamers that season). The Royals finally traded him for nothing in 1970 even though he was the all-time face of the franchise and still putting up crazy numbers (traded by coach Bob Cousy who knew a thing or two about stars who actually made good teammates); their offense improved from 7th best to 3rd best in the NBA the next season and they were no worse overall. And it's also worth noting that his numbers were dropping when they should have been rising (late-20's) because the league started hiring more athletic players & it stopped being a league of smaller, slower white guys he could beat up on when he wasn't facing Attles or West.

^Maybe slightly overstated but I basically agree with PittSqueak basically.

Oscar was a very good offensive player when he could back down small, nonathletic point guards with his superior strength and height. Great back to the basket guard who could run a fast break too. But when he faced West, or when more athletic guards entered the league later (various Knicks guards), his numbers declined quickly. He had the advantage of coming in as an early athletic guard before that was a norm (sort of like Elgin Baylor as an above the rim forward? But Elgin was better), and then lost that advantage. He was also notorious for attacking his teammates until they wanted off the team.

He never played defense, which shows Steel_curtain is again making stuff up.

Reactions: Jpripper88
ADVERTISEMENT