ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Car Auto-Stop Feature

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
Seems like every new vehicle now has the turn off the engine while idling in drive feature...Apparently this will save the planet for the gallon of gas I save over a two year period. I hate the damn thing. You can shut if off manually but you cannot have it default to the off position for some stupid reason. No matter how many times the internet geniuses tell me the starter will no go out quicker I will not believe them...

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
Seems like every new vehicle now has the turn off the engine while idling in drive feature...Apparently this will save the planet for the gallon of gas I save over a two year period. I hate the damn thing. You can shut if off manually but you cannot have it default to the off position for some stupid reason. No matter how many times the internet geniuses tell me the starter will no go out quicker I will not believe them...
We have a newer car that has this feature. Our car (a MB GLC300) has a way to disable this feature. Yours may as well. Not only do I find the constant stopping and starting annoying but i wonder what this may do to engine longevity. I was always told that the single biggest contributor to engine wear was on start up. Maybe this only applies to cold starts. It would be interesting to see if this feature has any long-term impact on engine durability.

We have a newer car that has this feature. Our car (a MB GLC300) has a way to disable this feature. Yours may as well. Not only do I find the constant stopping and starting annoying but i wonder what this may do to engine longevity. I was always told that the single biggest contributor to engine wear was on start up. Maybe this only applies to cold starts. It would be interesting to see if this feature has any long-term impact on engine durability.
Can you disable it as the default setting (I cannot in either vehicle, Chevy Traverse and Subaru Outback) or do you have to push a button every drive?
Another joy to these things is that any minimal savings one might get on gas is eaten up by the extra cost of the replacement batteries that go for more on these cars...

I believe you have to manually do it every time. Common sense says it would decrease the life of your starter. I hate the feature.
Don't get me started on keyless engine start/stop. I've already filled up my gas tank twice while I left the car running. One more time and I get a get a visit from Pelosi demanding I turn in my fob for the greater good of the Sheetz...

Can you disable it as the default setting (I cannot in either vehicle, Chevy Traverse and Subaru Outback) or do you have to push a button every drive?
Another joy to these things is that any minimal savings one might get on gas is eaten up by the extra cost of the replacement batteries that go for more on these cars...
I honestly can't recall how to turn this feature on and off. The car is my wife's and I rarely drive it so not as up to speed on the features. I seem to recall that there is a "mode" setting that turns this feature on and off. Once you set the mode, it remains in that mode until changed so I don't think you need to enable/disable this feature every time you use your car. Of course, your car may not operate the same way. You can either try to find this in your owners manual or even go to you tube and search how to turn this off for your car. It's amazing how much useful content you can find on youtube.

Reactions: Harlo4PITT
Hopefully they make one for your make.

i feel like every person that has a car with this feature, gets it turned off. i rented a truck on vacation that had it, it was truly annoying.

i feel like every person that has a car with this feature, gets it turned off. i rented a truck on vacation that had it, it was truly annoying.
I usually put it back on if I'm sitting in traffic or at a long light, I have a VW and it's an easy on/off with the button right next to the gear shifter.

Hopefully they make one for your make.

at $100 for the gizmo, I'll live with it..there should be some bullshitt work around hack like with the seatbelt warning signal that won't turn off in my wife's Subaru if you have weight in the back seat but no people (aka dogs or heavy packages). Annoying as hell. If you click and un-click the driver's side seatbelt twenty times (not making this up) while saying Beetlejuice three times (kinda making that up) the signal goes away forever.

Last edited:
In a lot of cars, the start/stop system is powered by an aux battery, not the main battery. So to save some gas being used, and extra battery is being introduced into the world. And the aux battery will replaced every 4-6 years or so, just like the main battery.

Beyond that, it is a safety issue for me. There is an intersection I cross daily where I have a stop sign and need to cut straight across the main road to the other side, but the main cross traffic has no stop signs. When I get a gap to cut across varies and at least twice per week right when the gap is there and I try to gun it, is almost that exact same time the start/stop is cutting my fuel. So I punch it, go nowhere for a couple heartbeats, then jut forward sometimes when it’s now to late and i have to slam the brake.

I was able to unplug a single connector on my Jaguar to disable the auto start/stop. It effected nothing else which truly amazed me in this day and age. Pull a fuse and 5 unrelated things go off but this connector must have been engineered but someone with compassion for humanity.

I was able to unplug a single connector on my Jaguar to disable the auto start/stop. It effected nothing else which truly amazed me in this day and age. Pull a fuse and 5 unrelated things go off but this connector must have been engineered but someone with compassion for humanity.
How did you figure out which one to pull?

I believe you have to manually do it every time. Common sense says it would decrease the life of your starter. I hate the feature.
That's my problem with it. With it stopping and having to restart, it takes equipment to do this like starter, spark plugs, other electronics, wouldn't this put more burden on them?

I had to read up on this since I rarely own a vehicle that is less than ten years old (I hate paying for depreciation and I'm cheap) and I had no idea about it. It appears that there are certain engine conditions that disable this feature. Apparently if the AC or heat is running, it may trigger the computer to disable auto stop depending on the model. That seems like the simplest work around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT