ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Car Buying

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Need some help. So, I switched jobs at the end of May. With that, came the loss of my company car, my beloved 4 Runner (brand loyalty). My new company ordered me a new car. That was at the beginning of June. I find out it isn't even being built until 9/20. So I am stuck with one car for two people. When I travel for work, of course right now I just rent a car. But I also don't live close to the airport so renting options aren't always the best and my god they are expensive (yes I am reimbursed still....) it is a real pain.

I was thinking of trading my current car in anyways, but my god even good used cars are expensive and scarce. Has anyone had a new car build this year where they ordered something not on the lot and how long did you wait? Because I might just buy a car, expense mileage and stuff, then when I get my new company car, sell my old vehicle out right.

Also, juggling between buying used, buying new and leasing. Right now with prices and availability, it is not as cut and dry as it used to be. Thoughts??

Need some help. So, I switched jobs at the end of May. With that, came the loss of my company car, my beloved 4 Runner (brand loyalty). My new company ordered me a new car. That was at the beginning of June. I find out it isn't even being built until 9/20. So I am stuck with one car for two people. When I travel for work, of course right now I just rent a car. But I also don't live close to the airport so renting options aren't always the best and my god they are expensive (yes I am reimbursed still....) it is a real pain.

I was thinking of trading my current car in anyways, but my god even good used cars are expensive and scarce. Has anyone had a new car build this year where they ordered something not on the lot and how long did you wait? Because I might just buy a car, expense mileage and stuff, then when I get my new company car, sell my old vehicle out right.

Also, juggling between buying used, buying new and leasing. Right now with prices and availability, it is not as cut and dry as it used to be. Thoughts??
1. Rentals are way sketchy now. Crazy expensive, if you can get one. My car was in the shop and my best option was. UHaul box truck.

2. I am not surprised cars aren’t getting built. We sell off-highway components. While we are running significantly behind and are being told by our customers that we are doing an amazing job. Considering we pay on time and are loyal to our vendors, I am not surprised. That said, getting hose clamps, sheets of steel, overflow bottles, etc. is a total pain in the butt. The powdered metal Elk County is getting destroyed.

3. I would take something on the lot.

Good luck, and congrats on the now job.

Please let us know how it works out. We plan to lease a stripped-down small suv as a family backup/ car for my 16 year old.

I have no suggestions but sorry for the loss of your 4Runner. I eventually want to buy a very used 4Runner to replace my minivan (ha).

I have no suggestions but sorry for the loss of your 4Runner. I eventually want to buy a very used 4Runner to replace my minivan (ha).
I cannot believe the pricing of say 2019 4 Runners on sites like Carvana and other online sites. They are still over $40K.

I cannot believe the pricing of say 2019 4 Runners on sites like Carvana and other online sites. They are still over $40K.
They just don't lose their value, especially in this used car market. I figure I'll have to go far older than that if I want to get one. But I'm waiting a while as my van is paid off.

buy or lease an E-Scooter. it's all the craze now and great for the environment. all the cool kids are doing it. just careful going thru the tunnels with it, the karens of the world seem to get upset over such shenanigans and will dox you on social media if they catch you.

not sure about how they handle in the winter though, might need to buy a scarf for the daily commute in december.

My friend bought a 2019 4runner TRD Pro with 19,000 miles for $45k in January. This was just before the used cars prices really took off. I saw one on a dealer lot last week, same exact year/model/color etc. with 26,000 miles and they were asking $49,900 for it. My friends used car possibly went up in value like $5k in about 7 months. crazy.

Used car prices are ridiculous. Bought a new car two months ago, it wasn't even on the lot. We looked at car on their site and it said was available so we got a quote for it. Came in ready to drive off lot same day. Car wasn't even there, so I ended up with an upgraded car at same price (truecar price that they had to honor) that they just purchased and was being delivered to their dealership. So a week later went to back to get it. I've never seen this before, it's crazy. Now I got dealerships begging me to sell my used cars to them for new ones.. like the housing market

Reactions: 303vND
Used car prices are insane. A friend had a Toyota FJ Cruiser that he bought for $33k about 10 years ago. He just sold it for $30k. I recently read about a guy who took his old pickup in for a service. He had bought it used less than a year ago. He sold it on the spot for $3K more than his purchase price.

agree, like the housing market. Its insane. Friend literally went to New jersey to get a certain suv. Several attempts locally and he got beat to the punch or outbid. Another's grandson totaled his older car and the book price was more now than what he paid for it years ago.

New car prices are ridiculous, but used car prices are even worse. It is ugly out there, lots are not all stocked up like they used to be, thin pickings new or used.

My wife was running on borrowed time on her Kia Sorrento and we started shopping back in April, really wanted to buy something used a few years old, but nothing was happening at all.

We finally started drilling down on either a new Pilot or Sorento, but after test driving the new Sorento, the sales man (who she bought her old one off of) hooked us up with a two year old used top of the line Sorento that had been leased, and gave us a "normal" price for it.

I would say don't box yourself into a set time to buy, either way, and patiently explore all options.

Used car prices are insane. A friend had a Toyota FJ Cruiser that he bought for $33k about 10 years ago. He just sold it for $30k. I recently read about a guy who took his old pickup in for a service. He had bought it used less than a year ago. He sold it on the spot for $3K more than his purchase price.
The FJ Cruisers are insanely popular and in demand. No idea why they stopped making them...

New car prices are ridiculous, but used car prices are even worse. It is ugly out there, lots are not all stocked up like they used to be, thin pickings new or used.

My wife was running on borrowed time on her Kia Sorrento and we started shopping back in April, really wanted to buy something used a few years old, but nothing was happening at all.

We finally started drilling down on either a new Pilot or Sorento, but after test driving the new Sorento, the sales man (who she bought her old one off of) hooked us up with a two year old used top of the line Sorento that had been leased, and gave us a "normal" price for it.

I would say don't box yourself into a set time to buy, either way, and patiently explore all options.
Yeah I have a 2014 Pathfinder and it has been paid for for years and am surprised what I can still get for it (has 100K miles but otherwise great shape) but it is just like selling a house, sure I can get so much more right now for it, but I also have to buy one. So it is a Catch22.

But I have to do something. I am just trying to determine right whether used/new/lease is the best thing. Because the price of used cars has blurred this.

i got the oil changed at my dealership 2 weeks ago. the lot was empty. i asked what was going on - he said the the semiconductor chip shortage is the issue. cars are bought before they get to the dealer.

so leaving the dealership, i drive by a bunch of other dealerships and all the same deal. buying a car or house right now is a real problem.

I have been looking for a car, as well. I am going to try to hold off as long as possible.

I was going to get a used 2018 Honda CRV. They range around $26,000 for one with 30,000 miles, or you can get a brand new 2021 CRV for $4,000 more.

You can also probably get a better deal on the APR, buying new, when the holidays come around.

i got the oil changed at my dealership 2 weeks ago. the lot was empty. i asked what was going on - he said the the semiconductor chip shortage is the issue. cars are bought before they get to the dealer.

so leaving the dealership, i drive by a bunch of other dealerships and all the same deal. buying a car or house right now is a real problem.
We do not manufacture any semiconductor chips in the US. That should be a priority for this Administration's (or any) agenda before even trying to force more manufacturing offshore to Asia.

i am jelly om my friends monster trucks,, but i smirk and save move loot ........ idk why.
i hate life

i should enjoy it and buy a sweet pickup.

Go to Nick Chevrolet in Tarentum. Tell him you are a big fan of Johnny.

having a sweet pcikup is grounds for people saying yo kid...... next weekemd//// blah blah horeshit

I had no idea. Just looked up the same model Subaru I bought new in 2018. It's sale is pending on Carvana for $1000 more than I paid with twice the milage mine has. Wow.

Used car prices are ridiculous. Bought a new car two months ago, it wasn't even on the lot. We looked at car on their site and it said was available so we got a quote for it. Came in ready to drive off lot same day. Car wasn't even there, so I ended up with an upgraded car at same price (truecar price that they had to honor) that they just purchased and was being delivered to their dealership. So a week later went to back to get it. I've never seen this before, it's crazy. Now I got dealerships begging me to sell my used cars to them for new ones.. like the housing market
Hearing car prices are insane and you have to pay sticker.

The covid economy has been outstanding weirdly. Everyone getting rich. Don't understand that exactly but it is what it is.

We do not manufacture any semiconductor chips in the US. That should be a priority for this Administration's (or any) agenda before even trying to force more manufacturing offshore to Asia.
We manufacture a lot of semiconductors in the US, mainly more advanced ICs. It's just that there are also a lot of semis manufactured overseas.

Reactions: happjack
saying that the government should try to help a key industry gets the maniacs screaming at you about communism. i was agreeing that we should be doing something to make our own chips.
Maniacs are maniacs. But people don't know, the government always helps out key industries regardless of the political party. I don't know why people give such credence to the loudest on either end of each party.

Reactions: pitt90seven
We manufacture a lot of semiconductors in the US, mainly more advanced ICs. It's just that there are also a lot of semis manufactured overseas.
We still make alot of the Silicon and SiC materials here. But most of the companies that make the wafers and chips like say MEMC, now do it in Asia. But yeah, Applied Materials is still here. Axion, etc... But they demand is so high.

I drive a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. I gave it a 3 inch lift with other upgrades including rims and tires and leveler. I bought it 3 years ago for under 10,000 and 92,000 miles. I couldn’t pass it up because they are fun cars and will last forever. Only issue is that it is the v6, but I’m not towing and not doing anything that requires the v8. I’ve had so many people hit me up to buy it, and several dealerships begging me sell it or trade in. The older ones are easy to modify, and not too expensive to upgrade. The freakin news 4runners are just too expensive.

I drive a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. I gave it a 3 inch lift with other upgrades including rims and tires and leveler. I bought it 3 years ago for under 10,000 and 92,000 miles. I couldn’t pass it up because they are fun cars and will last forever. Only issue is that it is the v6, but I’m not towing and not doing anything that requires the v8. I’ve had so many people hit me up to buy it, and several dealerships begging me sell it or trade in. The older ones are easy to modify, and not too expensive to upgrade. The freakin news 4runners are just too expensive.
Yeah I have owned (sort of) three of them.
1) I drove for over 200K miles. It was awesome and certainly got all the value I could from it.
The other two, the last two, were company furnished vehicles. So I paid ZERO for them. So now looking at them, I am shocked at the price.

By the way, my new company car, when it eventually gets to me is a Ford Explorer which I am not overly thrilled, but again the price is right.

ADVERTISEMENT