ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Check out this photo from Forbes Field...

Part of me wonders what Forbes Field would look like today if it were still standing. I’m trying to visualize a similar “modernization” like the ones Wrigley and Fenway got...

Why are there spectators there? Would they immediately start playing after the arson?

Part of me wonders what Forbes Field would look like today if it were still standing. I’m trying to visualize a similar “modernization” like the ones Wrigley and Fenway got...
It's intriguing. First, we'd have to back it up to 1959 before the club sold the ballpark to Pitt. Assuming some type of corporate welfare -- which was fairly new in baseball at the time -- this public-private thingy would have to seize property around the physical plant for the infrastructure improvements. So, goodbye to a section of Sennott Street at the very least. Possibly they reduce the expanse of left and left-center with additional seating. Looking at your examples and what has been added since 1970 in terms of video boards, the view of Schenley Park would probably be obscured by something like that. Any untouched wall would still have the brick and ivy, but the new walls would be modern. And advertisements -- rare at Forbes -- would be everywhere. I'd hope that the LF bleachers would be completely re-done and angled toward the infield.

It's intriguing. First, we'd have to back it up to 1959 before the club sold the ballpark to Pitt. Assuming some type of corporate welfare -- which was fairly new in baseball at the time -- this public-private thingy would have to seize property around the physical plant for the infrastructure improvements. So, goodbye to a section of Sennott Street at the very least. Possibly they reduce the expanse of left and left-center with additional seating. Looking at your examples and what has been added since 1970 in terms of video boards, the view of Schenley Park would probably be obscured by something like that. Any untouched wall would still have the brick and ivy, but the new walls would be modern. And advertisements -- rare at Forbes -- would be everywhere. I'd hope that the LF bleachers would be completely re-done and angled toward the infield.
Those all sound like very possible and realistic ideas. Personally, I’d hope they’d redo the facade on the right field bleachers so that it’d match the front entrance all around. Maybe they bring the seating behind home plate closer to the field. It’d also be interesting to see what a modernized press box and suites would look like in the upper decks.

used to keep the football tarps(steelers played there)under right field stands. they caught fire during baseball game -smoke pouring out of the exits . wish i recall what the gunner said about it at the time.

used to keep the football tarps(steelers played there)under right field stands. they caught fire during baseball game -smoke pouring out of the exits . wish i recall what the gunner said about it at the time.
"...and you can kiss that tarp goodbye!"

e769e31b1eda128a92bd300a775f7db9.jpg

Those all sound like very possible and realistic ideas. Personally, I’d hope they’d redo the facade on the right field bleachers so that it’d match the front entrance all around. Maybe they bring the seating behind home plate closer to the field. It’d also be interesting to see what a modernized press box and suites would look like in the upper decks.
Forbes had an unusually narrow "jaw", with home plate about 20 feet farter from the backstop than Three Rivers. One great design element of PNC Park is the small foul area. Who wants to see foul popups? I'll give hitters that edge but keep the outfield dimensions on the deeper side. No cheap homers!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Forbes had an unusually narrow "jaw", with home plate about 20 feet farter from the backstop than Three Rivers. One great design element of PNC Park is the small foul area. Who wants to see foul popups? I'll give hitters that edge but keep the outfield dimensions on the deeper side. No cheap homers!
That, and preserve the out-of-town scoreboard in left field!

ADVERTISEMENT