ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crazy World Cup ticket sale stat

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/...illion-tickets-allocated-additional-inventory

Despite not having a team that made it, Americans led all foreign sales of World Cup tickets. Granted, the vast majority of these sales are probably 1st or 2nd generation Americans who are diehard fans of Mexico or some other World Cup team and not Jimmy Suburb taking his family to Russia on the family vacation to take in some World Cup matches but its still an amazing stat and shows how popular "world class" soccer is in this country.

With the USA getting the WC in 2026, MLS will probably switch to an August-May schedule for 2026-27 and have a huge amount of big name stars signed to use the World Cup interest at that time to generate interest in the domestic league, which they will compete with leagues in England, Germany, and Spain for the best players. It would pretty much be then or never if they ever want to take a shot at being a top league.

Last edited:
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/...illion-tickets-allocated-additional-inventory

Despite not having a team that made it, Americans led all foreign sales of World Cup tickets. Granted, the vast majority of these sales are probably 1st or 2nd generation Americans who are diehard fans of Mexico or some other World Cup team and not the Jimmy Suburb taking his family to Russia on the family vacation to take in some World Cup matches but its still an amazing stat and shows how popular "world class" soccer is in this country.

With the USA getting the WC in 2026, MLS will probably switch to an August-May schedule for 2026-27 and have a huge amount of big name stars signed to use the World Cup interest at that time to generate interest in the domestic league, which they will compete with leagues in England, Germany, and Spain for the best players. It would pretty much be then or never if they ever want to take a shot at being a top league.

Fascinating Stuff !!!

Quick hypothetical question... you have tickets to say Pitt/Virginia football game on the same day as a USA/Uruguay world cup game you also have tickets for.. which game are you going to?

Despite not having a team that made it, Americans led all foreign sales of World Cup tickets. Granted, the vast majority of these sales are probably 1st or 2nd generation Americans who are diehard fans of Mexico or some other World Cup team and not the Jimmy Suburb taking his family to Russia on the family vacation to take in some World Cup matches but its still an amazing stat and shows how popular "world class" soccer is in this country.

not to sound ignorant, well I am so feel free to make fun, but don't we have a soccer league in the US? do you mean something Higher scale? again, I know very little about professional soccer but to compete with the higher level European professional leagues for the worlds top talent, we are talking about a financial investment that would rival NFL, am I right? To get actual top world players to play in the US?

This can mean only two things.....baseball, The National Pastime, will be overtaken soon by soccer, and Crooked Hillary will be POTUS.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

not to sound ignorant, well I am so feel free to make fun, but don't we have a soccer league in the US? do you mean something Higher scale? again, I know very little about professional soccer but to compete with the higher level European professional leagues for the worlds top talent, we are talking about a financial investment that would rival NFL, am I right? To get actual top world players to play in the US?

We have MLS in the USA but its not a top-tier league. Attendance-wise, it does well considering the low talent level. Heck, even the 2nd Divusion (USL which Riverhounds are in) does well in attendance which some franchises like Cincinnati and Sacramento drawing 20K per game). But, MLS ratings are terrible. Even diehard American soccer fans don't watch it as they prefer the EPL or Liga MX (the Mexican league which Mexican-Americans prefer).

The money is made in TV. The MLS's goal has always been to become a top league rivaling leagues like the EPL, but in order to do that, you have to make huge financial investments in players. Rivaling the NFL in terms of salary? Yea, I guess. But in order to do that, people have to watch it on TV.

I have little doubt that MLS is going to make huge financial investments for the 26-27 season so that the teams/players are right up there with the EPL, La Liga, and the Bundesliga. Of course, ratings will improve but will they improve enough to sustain paying a roster full of world-class players? For the MLS, its then or never.

This can mean only two things.....baseball, The National Pastime, will be overtaken soon by soccer, and Crooked Hillary will be POTUS.

Go back to your board. Why do people have to think soccer is here to overtake other sports. There's 300+ million people. There are enough eyeballs for 5 mainstream sports. MLB or the NFL dont have to be overtaken. Could a "world-class" MLs overtake MLB a generation or 2 or 3 from now? Yea, maybe. But it wont have to.

Last edited:
We have MLS in the USA but its not a top-tier league. Attendance-wise, it does well considering the low talent level. Heck, even the 2nd Divusion (USL which Riverhounds are in) does well in attendance which some franchises like Cincinnati and Sacramento drawing 20K per game). But, MLS ratings are terrible. Even diehard American soccer fans don't watch it as they prefer the EPL or Liga MX (the Mexican league which Mexican-Americans prefer).

The money is made in TV. The MLS's goal has always been to become a top league rivaling leagues like the EPL, but in order to do that, you have to make huge financial investments in players. Rivaling the NFL in terms of salary? Yea, I guess. But in order to do that, people have to watch it on TV.

I have little doubt that MLS is going to make huge financial investments for the 26-27 season so that the teams/players are right up there with the EPL, La Liga, and the Bundesliga. Of course, ratings will improve but will they improve enough to sustain paying a roster full of world-class players? For the MLS, its then or never.
that just seems like a huge jump to me. Where we are now in the US with these leagues to a league comparing to what you are talking about. it's going to take a select few billionaires to take a big risk.

im no soccer fan but I would have no issue with it taking off in US, would actually like to see it. I don't fall in line with this "rob peter to pay paul" theory about other sports suffering if soccer were to succeed theory that a lot of people have.

One last thought. People watching the world cup doesn't mean they'll stick around to watch a professional league. Hell, Olympic hockey gets great ratings in the US and well the NHL comes back on and its' back to horrid ratings..

Go back to your board. Why do people have to think soccer is here to overtake other sports. There's 300+ million people. There are enough eyeballs for 5 mainstream sports. MLB or the NFL dont have to be overtaken. Could a "world-class" overtake MLB a generation or 2 or 3 from now? Yea, maybe. But it wont have to.
Paullb, I agree with SMF here on this. soccer success in this country (if possible) wont necessarily mean bad news for other major league sports. that mindset comes off as very high and unfounded paranoia.

Go back to your board. Why do people have to think soccer is here to overtake other sports. There's 300+ million people. There are enough eyeballs for 5 mainstream sports. MLB or the NFL dont have to be overtaken. Could a "world-class" overtake MLB a generation or 2 or 3 from now? Yea, maybe. But it wont have to.
It was a joke....
I love the WC

Fascinating Stuff !!!

Quick hypothetical question... you have tickets to say Pitt/Virginia football game on the same day as a USA/Uruguay world cup game you also have tickets for.. which game are you going to?

Well, that could only happen in 2022 as the Qatar World Cup will be held in November/December. I am contemplating going to it if the USA makes it so there is your answer.

The 2026 WC in the USA will be played in June/July so there will be no Pitt conflictions.

here is a crazy idea from someone that doesnt' know zilch (Me). this Liga MX league, im assuming it's made up of teams in Mexican cities (correct me if im wrong). why not try to buy into this league? Get some American market teams into this league, preferably cities with high Hispanic demographics like San Antonio, Houston, El Paso, Dallas, Phx, LA, San Diego, etc).

not sure if that would be a huge leap of faith, depending on if the current owners would want us pesky gringos in their league..

Last edited:
Well, that could only happen in 2022 as the Qatar World Cup will be held in November/December. I am contemplating going to it if the USA makes it so there is your answer.

The 2026 WC in the USA will be played in June/July so there will be no Pitt conflictions.
What part of the definition of the word "hypothetical" eludes you? Give it another shot...

Reactions: Burgh15

that just seems like a huge jump to me. Where we are now in the US with these leagues to a league comparing to what you are talking about. it's going to take a select few billionaires to take a big risk.

im no soccer fan but I would have no issue with it taking off in US, would actually like to see it. I don't fall in line with this "rob peter to pay paul" theory about other sports suffering if soccer were to succeed theory that a lot of people have.

One last thought. People watching the world cup doesn't mean they'll stick around to watch a professional league. Hell, Olympic hockey gets great ratings in the US and well the NHL comes back on and its' back to horrid ratings..

I know what you are saying but ratings have shown that Americans will watch world-class "club soccer." Not to knock the NHL, but EPL ratings on NBC/NBCSN are higher than the NHL despite playing in poor time slots (4AM West Coast starts, weekday afternoons at 2:30 Eastern) and this is without the huge disadvantage of not getting that home team ratings bump. Now, obviously a "world-class" MLS better draw a whole lot more than the 420,000 that warch the average EPL or NHL game. The question is, can it? I think so. I really think that there is already a very solid base of fans who watch the EPL. If you hypothetically bring those players to the USA and put them on DC and NY and Philly, etc, I think you can get big enough ratings to sustain it.

to soccer's credit, and hockey does this too, it's a very fluid sport with regards to commercial breaks, time outs, stop in play. we are all becoming brain dead zombies due to our phones and gadgets (all of us, not just kids) so our attention span is about 25 seconds. Sports content with minimal breaks can keep our attention.

My biggest pet peave with college hoops is the endless time outs, whistle every 4 seconds, TV timeouts, etc. So unbelievably fragmented. I love football but the damn replays after every TD, first dow, out of bounds play, fumble, reception just kills me. throw in timeouts and I find myself DVR'ing it and watching it an hour later to skip thru this nonsense.

Soccer has mastered the art, so far, for eliminating this. Hockey is a very close second.

What part of the definition of the word "hypothetical" eludes you? Give it another shot...

No doubt USA World Cup. Its 3-5 matches every 4 years.......unless Pitt/UVa is like a huge game with both teams ranked in the Top 10. Even still, given the rarity of it, I still gotta go World Cup.

here is a crazy idea from someone that doesnt' know zilch (Me). this Liga MX league, im assuming it's made up of teams in Mexican cities (correct me if im wrong). why not try to buy into this league? Get some American market teams into this league, preferably cities with high Hispanic demographics like San Antonio, Houston, El Paso, Dallas, Phx, LA, San Diego, etc).

not sure if that would be a huge leap of faith, depending on if the current owners would want us pesky gringos in their league..

You sound like me. Liga MX is one of the richest leagues in the world. Ratings are super high in Mexico (and on USA Spanish-language channels) and attendance is very high. Quality wise, though, it would he a middle-tier European league. The best Mexicans still go to Europe and the leagur cant attract top Europeans or 2nd tier Europeans for quality of life reasons.

I actually think an MLS/Liga MX merger would do extremely well but I doubt either party would go for that. Mexico takes great pride in their league and look down on MLS and USA soccer. Its "theirs." And I think MLS wants to do it their way, to create a truly American league without having to rely on supporters from Chivas or Club America to turn TV sets on when they play American teams.

Reactions: Swervin27
to soccer's credit, and hockey does this too, it's a very fluid sport with regards to commercial breaks, time outs, stop in play. we are all becoming brain dead zombies due to our phones and gadgets (all of us, not just kids) so our attention span is about 25 seconds. Sports content with minimal breaks can keep our attention.

My biggest pet peave with college hoops is the endless time outs, whistle every 4 seconds, TV timeouts, etc. So unbelievably fragmented. I love football but the damn replays after every TD, first dow, out of bounds play, fumble, reception just kills me. throw in timeouts and I find myself DVR'ing it and watching it an hour later to skip thru this nonsense.

Soccer has mastered the art, so far, for eliminating this. Hockey is a very close second.

Soccer is also killing it with their new instant replay system. Their instant replays are literally taking 1 minute. Granted they are easier decisions than what football can give you but they are so fast. They have to be. They had to fight for years to get it as soccer purists didn't want it. Oftentimes, the replay decision is done before the team is done celebrating.

Fascinating Stuff !!!

I'd go to the WC, I've been to at least 50 Pitt games, never been to the WC.

SMF is a typical American Soccer Snob, he doesn't watch his domestic leagues because England and Spain are "better quality", he won't support the Pittsburgh team, because "they don't play of a major trophy" Honestly, USA pro soccer needs FANS LIKE ME, I go to 3rd division minor league games, FC Baltimore, because I like to be in the open air on a summer night enjoying a game live, rather than get up to watch HIGH QUALITY EPL at 7am on TV, lol.

SMF is a typical American Soccer Snob, he doesn't watch his domestic leagues because England and Spain are "better quality", he won't support the Pittsburgh team, because "they don't play of a major trophy" Honestly, USA pro soccer needs FANS LIKE ME, I go to 3rd division minor league games, FC Baltimore, because I like to be in the open air on a summer night enjoying a game live, rather than get up to watch HIGH QUALITY EPL at 7am on TV, lol.
Do I sense a showdown between a soccer snob and a soccer purist? Im scared, I want to look away but cant.

what happens when these two get together and battle it out? Do we stand aside and watch, do we call the cops, hide our children and women and run for the hills?

Reactions: PA_Panther
But, MLS ratings are terrible. Even diehard American soccer fans don't watch it as they prefer the EPL or Liga MX (the Mexican league which Mexican-Americans prefer).

So MLS will never be good enough "quality" because the American soccer snobs won't watch it until AFTER it has the quality of EPL.

Do I sense a showdown between a soccer snob and a soccer purist? Im scared, I want to look away but cant.

what happens when these two get together and battle it out? Do we stand aside and watch, do we call the cops, hide our children and women and run for the hills?

Just saying, is it's like a chicken or the egg thing, which comes first? If these fans want a high quality league inside the USA, how will it get that way without it being supported first? There are these people who "just can't watch" the poor quality MLS, so how can they watch Pitt football? It's minor league compared to the NFL, like MLS vs. EPL.

Fascinating Stuff !!!

The world cup game. Pitt plays Va every year. The only Pitt game I would choose in that situation is against the pricks to the east.

Yea, that's actually a thing. Americans don't support MLS (on TV...attendance ia fantastic). I watch the playoffs.

But if you give Americans a world-class league, I do think the soccer snobs will switch to MLS.

Its like in Spain. Do you think Spaniards watch the NBA or their pro league more? Their pro league is the 2nd best in the world but I'd bet the NBA gets better ratings there.

But, MLS ratings are terrible. Even diehard American soccer fans don't watch it as they prefer the EPL or Liga MX (the Mexican league which Mexican-Americans prefer).

So MLS will never be good enough "quality" because the American soccer snobs won't watch it until AFTER it has the quality of EPL.

Basically. They are going to have to invest hundreds of millions on players for 26-27 and hope Americans watch. I think they will.

Basically. They are going to have to invest hundreds of millions on players for 26-27 and hope Americans watch. I think they will.
that's asking a lot from investors..

Yes it is. They are going to have to sell the networks on the HOPE that rosters full of world-class players will warrant a large enough TV contract to allow owners be able to pay top dollar. But, ESPN and Fox have always been intrigued with American soccer, I think MLS finds the money to make it work, one way or the other. Like I said, it would be then or never so they are going to take the shot.

I wonder what tickets those games are for. Would be very interested to see that breakdown.

I would go to Pitt-Virginia. Now if was Italy, Germany, or The Netherlands against Uruguay, I'd be going to the World Cup game.

I wonder what tickets those games are for. Would be very interested to see that breakdown.

I would go to Pitt-Virginia. Now if was Italy, Germany, or The Netherlands against Uruguay, I'd be going to the World Cup game.

I doubt they'd release that. I'd guess its a heavy dose of Mexico. Probably a lot of Brazil and Colombia as well so yea, its more of these fans than your random suburban soccer mom/dad fan.

However, throw the USA team into the mix and many more Americans buy. Americans bought the most foreign tickets to Brazil 2014 as well. Like 200K. Americans love the World Cup.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...yers-of-world-cup-tickets-outside-brazil/amp/

Yes it is. They are going to have to sell the networks on the HOPE that rosters full of world-class players will warrant a large enough TV contract to allow owners be able to pay top dollar. But, ESPN and Fox have always been intrigued with American soccer, I think MLS finds the money to make it work, one way or the other. Like I said, it would be then or never so they are going to take the shot.
So you think MLS will never be popular unless they are on par with England, Spain or Germany? Don't people like to have a local team to root for? I've tried to watch EPL or Spain, but I can't get passionate about teams in foreign countries and I want to watch games in the evening, not 7 am. And basically that trumps the quality thing for me. Sorta like I watch every Pitt football games and no quality SEC football games every season.

No doubt USA World Cup. Its 3-5 matches every 4 years.......unless Pitt/UVa is like a huge game with both teams ranked in the Top 10. Even still, given the rarity of it, I still gotta go World Cup.
Soccer over Pitt Football...got it...thanks.

Its like in Spain. Do you think Spaniards watch the NBA or their pro league more? Their pro league is the 2nd best in the world but I'd bet the NBA gets better ratings there.
What about people in Russia, Greece, Poland? Do they watch their domestic league or EPL and La Liga more? I can say I've been in Greece a lot and people where more interested in Olympiacos vs. AEK over Man City vs. Chelsea.

Soccer over Pitt Football...got it...thanks.
Me too, I'd go to a WC soccer game over a Pitt football game NO DOUBT! I've been to over 50 Pitt football games at least, been there/done that, I'd rather experience something else if I have the opportunity,

Me too, I'd go to a WC soccer game over a Pitt football game NO DOUBT! I've been to over 50 Pitt football games at least, been there/done that, I'd rather experience something else if I have the opportunity,
Soccer over Pitt Football...got it...thanks

Reactions: Pitt79
Soccer over Pitt Football...got it...thanks

You are comparing things that couldn't be more unequal. The planet's most popular sporting event that happens once every 4 years and maybe only once or twice a lifetime within driving distance from you vs a medicore Pitt football with usually nothing to play.

Reactions: Nashville Panther
So you think MLS will never be popular unless they are on par with England, Spain or Germany? Don't people like to have a local team to root for? I've tried to watch EPL or Spain, but I can't get passionate about teams in foreign countries and I want to watch games in the evening, not 7 am. And basically that trumps the quality thing for me. Sorta like I watch every Pitt football games and no quality SEC football games every season.

Correctamundo. MLS will never be mainstream in the USA unless its teams/players are on par with England, Spain, Germany.

Joe Blow Sports Fan isn't watching DC United vs Philadelphia Union. If Ronaldo plays for DC and Neymar plays for Philly then maybe they will. To be mainstram, you need more than soccer diehards to watch and only big names can do this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT