ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Dark Side of the Moon

May 6, 2017
when it comes production, where does this album stack up?

I just bought a phenomenal audio system and played this album and it gave me goosebumps.

From a production/audio standpoint, this album seems to be way ahead of it's time.

Alan Parsons quad mix of the album was a cornerstone of its success along with the musical composition and lyrics.

the album features tracks that focus on war, greed, time, death, and mental illness. It's worldwide sales and staying power on Billboards charts for 952 weeks is proof of the greatness of the album.

There may be albums that stack up to it for it's musical and lyrical components but most likely doesn't surpass it in popularity and longevity.

A masterpiece by any standard.

Last edited:

I just bought a phenomenal audio system and played this album and it gave me goosebumps.

From a production/audio standpoint, this album seems to be way ahead of it's time.
I applaud you for your discovery. That album is truly meant to be listened to alone and to just enjoy every moment of darkness it invokes.

Last edited:
I think it is amazing on how young they looked.

GettyImages-593342717-750x497.jpg

Reactions: Skip74
I applaud you for your discovery. That album is truly meant to be listened to alone and to just enjoy every moment of darkness it invokes.
Exactly. Alone in an otherwise quiet slightly darkened room. Close your eyes and drink it in. It becomes an experience.

Just one of those albums that never really resonated with me. I always thought the hype far exceeded the substance. It's like one long song (and I get people like that about it) interspersed with a woman screaming and full of simple lyrics that people try attaching convoluted meaning to. In my opinion, obviously. Music is quite subjective.

Also, I tried playing it with the Wizard of Oz and got nothing. Is the problem that I used Part 2, Return to Oz?

Just one of those albums that never really resonated with me. I always thought the hype far exceeded the substance. It's like one long song (and I get people like that about it) interspersed with a woman screaming and full of simple lyrics that people try attaching convoluted meaning to. In my opinion, obviously. Music is quite subjective.

Also, I tried playing it with the Wizard of Oz and got nothing. Is the problem that I used Part 2, Return to Oz?
Might have been real interesting with The Wiz. Pink Floyd meets Diana Ross. Instant classic.

I’m intrigued. Gonna have to check it out. My favorite album that might also achieve what the Wall did for you is The Cure’s Disintegration.

This is going to sound cheesy because of the artist, but I’ll never forget the first time I put my Sony Walkman headphones on my ears and I listened to my sisters Corey Hart “Sunglasses at Night” cassette. That profound keyboard riff that made the song famous, coming through the different channels alternating left and right was the coolest thing to this 12 year old at that time.

I’m intrigued. Gonna have to check it out. My favorite album that might also achieve what the Wall did for you is The Cure’s Disintegration.

This is going to sound cheesy because of the artist, but I’ll never forget the first time I put my Sony Walkman headphones on my ears and I listened to my sisters Corey Hart “Sunglasses at Night” cassette. That profound keyboard riff that made the song famous, coming through the different channels alternating left and right was the coolest thing to this 12 year old at that time.
I had that Corey Hart single on a 45 record lol... I remember that record along with Theatre of Pain by Motley Crew.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I've had the album probably since I was in junior high (early 90's/late 80's).. I never really sat back and heard the distinct tones and rich bass lines along with the overall arrangement. The audio engineering is beautiful.

I wasn't a big fan of Depeche Mode growing up. But, I recently came across a recent live version of "Enjoy the Silence" that is great.

Great album to smoke a joint to. So i've been told lol......
I was in high school during the 70's. My first concert was Led Zeppelin in 1974. I was 16. Suffice to say the smoke wafting in the old Civic Arena added to the ambiance of the show.

Although I haven't enjoyed the effects of some of the finer blends available in over 40 years ( I quit in my early 20's ) some of my favorite albums to kick back to with the headphones and nice blunt were...

Dark Side...Pink Floyd
Any of the first 4 Zeppelin albums
Bridge of Sighs...Robin Trower
Electric Ladyland...Jimi
You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw...Spooky Tooth
I Robot...Alan Parsons
Boston debut album
Year of the Cat...Al Stewart

There are others but those were a few of my favorites.

Reactions: mike 301
Mid -70s must have been an amazing time to be a prog fan. Dark Side of the Moon in 73 followed by Wish You Were Here in 75 (I like that one even better). And sandwiched in the middle is probably my favorite album of all time, Relayer by Yes in 74.

Did you play it as an LP on a turntable or otherwise? Vinyl LP's are my favorite. Much richer sound, deeper, every note clear. Much better than other sources.

Did you play it as an LP on a turntable or otherwise? Vinyl LP's are my favorite. Much richer sound, deeper, every note clear. Much better than other sources.
I did not. But, I do agree. My brother has a great record player and sound system that sounds like you describe.

Dark side of the moon is pretty great

it’s not as great as Moving Pictures… but still pretty great.

attachment-moving_pictures_outtake.jpeg

Kind of an interesting and sad background on how Roger Waters became their primary songwriter…

I did not. But, I do agree. My brother has a great record player and sound system that sounds like you describe.

If you get the chance, get a high quality turntable with an excellent cartridge (I recommend Audio Technica) and hook it up to your sound system. It's an experience. I always listened to vinyl when I was younger (in my 20's) and then went to CD's and streaming. Now I'm back to my vinyls and the difference is mind-blowing. I still have my vinyl collection from the 60's and 70's and love listening to them to soothe my nerves.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
ADVERTISEMENT