ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Denver starting WR at QB

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
With all of their QB’s out due to Covid contact they are starting a practice squad WR. He played a little QB at Wake Forest before switching to WR.

They asked the league to delay their game a few days since only one of their QB’s has Covid and the others were around him. The league refused...why would they delay other games but not let Denver? Anyways I actually will have interest in watching how this guy does at QB.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
With all of their QB’s out due to Covid contact they are starting a practice squad WR. He played a little QB at Wake Forest before switching to WR.

They asked the league to delay their game a few days since only one of their QB’s has Covid and the others were around him. The league refused...why would they delay other games but not let Denver? Anyways I actually will have interest in watching how this guy does at QB.
Yea - it is BS. The NFL needs to be consistent. They should have made the Ravens play on Th. night or today if this is the stance they are going to take.

Reactions: 4upmc

Goodell gets paid a spitload of money from TV revenue. He prays to those gods and he will not let them down.

Reactions: 4upmc
Yea - it is BS. The NFL needs to be consistent. They should have made the Ravens play on Th. night or today if this is the stance they are going to take.

Yep not consistent at all. If there is one legit reason to delay a game it should be not having any QB’s. You figure the NFL would want to put their best product on display.

The Ravens had community spread inside their facility that has 22 guys on the Covid list and something like 5 straight days of positive tests from the outbreak. The Broncos had one QB test positive and the rest of the guys get ruled out because of close contact (I believe only two other players tested positive). Not the same situation.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I'm pretty sure some brother got shot in Denver last night... sounds like a good reason to cancel the game and force the NFL to pay millions in retributions reparations. Agree?

The Ravens had community spread inside their facility that has 22 guys on the Covid list and something like 5 straight days of positive tests from the outbreak. The Broncos had one QB test positive and the rest of the guys get ruled out because of close contact (I believe only two other players tested positive). Not the same situation.
It was the Ravens fault. There should be consequences. I could care less how many guys had it. The Ravens should have been forced to bring guys up from their Practice Squad and roll with what they had.

Reactions: mike 301
Definitely not the same situation.

But that doesn’t discount the fact that it looks illogical and inconsistent for them to be inflexible for a case where a team has no QB’s when they are bending over backwards in other cases.

It was the Ravens fault. There should be consequences. I could care less how many guys had it. The Ravens should have been forced to bring guys up from their Practice Squad and roll with what they had.

They are playing this week and are going to have to do so with a thin roster? What are you arguing? They didn't play on Thursday because they were worried about community spread (rightfully so) inside the Ravens facility. The NFL now believes they are beyond that phase and are moving forward with the game.

Denver's QBs weren't wearing masks and were deemed close contacts. They were at fault as well. They are also playing the game, but without community spread because of some meathead trainer who doesn't believe in the virus, they are playing as scheduled.

• Haha
They are playing this week and are going to have to do so with a thin roster? What are you arguing? They didn't play on Thursday because they were worried about community spread (rightfully so) inside the Ravens facility. The NFL now believes they are beyond that phase and are moving forward with the game.

Denver's QBs weren't wearing masks and were deemed close contacts. They were at fault as well. They are also playing the game, but without community spread because of some meathead trainer who doesn't believe in the virus, they are playing as scheduled.

So the moral of the story is that if you are going to screw up, really screw it up and the NFL will try to help you. If you only screw up a little bit the NFL will tell you, essentially, tough, deal with it.

You wouldn't think that that would be the message that the NFL would want to send, and yet that's exactly what they are doing.

So the moral of the story is that if you are going to screw up, really screw it up and the NFL will try to help you. If you only screw up a little bit the NFL will tell you, essentially, tough, deal with it.

You wouldn't think that that would be the message that the NFL would want to send, and yet that's exactly what they are doing.

Not really. If you play on Thursday you potentially put the Steelers at risk of the spread. If the NFL wanted to help the Ravens they would've cancelled the game (bonus playoff spot) or moved it to Week 18 (get the entire team healthy).

• Haha
Not really. If you play on Thursday you potentially put the Steelers at risk of the spread. If the NFL wanted to help the Ravens they would've cancelled the game (bonus playoff spot) or moved it to Week 18 (get the entire team healthy).

Not really. If the NFL wanted to show teams that it wasn't going to stand for the blatant disregard for the rules and policies that they put into place then they would have already made the Ravens forfeit.

It's as if people cannot wrap their heads around the notion that the whole problem with the Ravens came from them deliberately, and not as a one time occurrance but over a period of weeks, not following the rules. And the NFL told teams that if they didn't follow the rules that forfeits were on the table. If you aren't going to make a team forfeit for doing what the Ravens did, why pretend that you'll ever do it?

There will be Ravens players who would not have been able to play today who will be able to play on Tuesday. And a bunch more that would not have been able to play next Thursday when they were supposed to be playing the Cowboys who will be able to play against them the following Monday because the NFL postponed that one too. The notion that these postponements aren't helping the team that caused the problem at the expense of the teams that didn't cause the problem ignores everything that is going on.

Why couldn't they just sign a guy for 1 game

Why couldn't they just sign a guy for 1 game

Because if you sign someone they have to be tested and go through quarantine before they are allowed to play. And that process takes the better part of a week. So by the time they knew they needed to sign someone it was way too late for them to play this week.

The Ravens should have played today or forfeited. Plain and simple. Why should the Steelers be punished for the Ravens breaking the guidelines?

Not really. If the NFL wanted to show teams that it wasn't going to stand for the blatant disregard for the rules and policies that they put into place then they would have already made the Ravens forfeit.

The NFL doesn't want that. They want to play all of the games this season and they have flexibility in terms of scheduling to make sure those games get played as they did in this case. The players also want to play so they are guaranteed to get paid.

If the NFL wanted forfeits in place, it would've been spelled out loud and clear in the protocols at the start of the year. The second they didn't make the Titans forfeit was when they reaffirmed they don't want forfeits this season.

• Haha
Because if you sign someone they have to be tested and go through quarantine before they are allowed to play. And that process takes the better part of a week. So by the time they knew they needed to sign someone it was way too late for them to play this week.

Shoulda signed someone from New Zealand then. No COVID there

Reactions: USN_Panther
I am available. I was a JV HS QB. My career stats are 2 completions for about 23 yards, 0 TD and 0 INTs. I was really good at taking a snap and handing off. I was really good with the hard count too. So good that my O-line would jump.
I will not play for league minimum though. I want at least a few mil guaranteed. And I want to run over to the sideline to get the plays. No radio in my helmet. I'm old school.

If the NFL wanted forfeits in place, it would've been spelled out loud and clear in the protocols at the start of the year. The second they didn't make the Titans forfeit was when they reaffirmed they don't want forfeits this season.

The NFL made the Broncos forfeit this afternoon in everything but name. They had no chance to win that game today, and everyone at the NFL knew it. And they didn't care.

And they didn't make the Titans forfeit (or, OK, one of the reasons) because the did not explicitly tell teams that violating the Covid rules could lead to forfeits before their episode. They didn't tell teams that until AFTER Tennessee had their issues. Before then the punishments for not following the rules were fines and potential loss of draft picks. After that teams were told that if they violated the rules they could be made to forfeit.

And then Baltimore, over a period of a couple weeks, violated the rules in just about the worst way possible. And even worse, literally dozens of people there, basically at least the whole team and most if not all of the coaches, knew what was going on. And none of them did anything. There will not be a more egregious violation of the Covid rules by an NFL team this year. If the most egregious violation doesn't merit the strongest punishment then what on earth would?

I know you are just being silly, but even that wouldn't work. Remember at the trade deadline there were players who were traded on a Tuesday, guys who were already on NFL rosters and were already going through all the testing protocols with their original teams, who were not allowed to play the following weekend because players cannot go to the team facility or interact with their new teammates until they are tested once and then again five days later.

That's part of the reason why the practice squads were enlarged this year. Because unless a team signs someone by Monday that player is not going to be allowed to practice with or play for his new team all week. But since practice squad guys are already with the team and already following testing protocols you can bring those guys up whenever you want.

The NFL made the Broncos forfeit this afternoon in everything but name. They had no chance to win that game today, and everyone at the NFL knew it. And they didn't care.

And Baltimore is playing without about 8-10 starters/key backups including their quarterback. It's allowing the Steelers to play against a preseason-esque roster in what should be an easy win. Knowing the Steelers it will probably be close.

And Baltimore is playing without about 8-10 starters/key backups including their quarterback. It's allowing the Steelers to play against a preseason-esque roster in what should be an easy win. Knowing the Steelers it will probably be close.

One quarterback, not all of them. The point spread on the Stiller game has moved 6 points with all those Ravens players out. The point spread on the Broncos game moved 11.5 point with three guys being out. Just a little different, no?

Hey, give Hinton some credit he played almost as well as Cam Newton today. And Newton’s team somehow won!

Lost in this Brady-less season for NE is that this is probably one of Belichick’s better coaching jobs will the opt outs and the horrible QB play all season. Somehow he still has this motley group in contention with 3 QB’s that should not be playing in the NFL right now.

One quarterback, not all of them. The point spread on the Stiller game has moved 6 points with all those Ravens players out. The point spread on the Broncos game moved 11.5 point with three guys being out. Just a little different, no?

Yeah it’s different without having a QB, but look at this list. Baltimore is at a huge disadvantage to play this week.

Yeah it’s different without having a QB, but look at this list. Baltimore is at a huge disadvantage to play this week.

Yeah, that's a list of 23 players, every single one of whom knew that the strength coach was violating the covid rules and putting them all in jeopardy and did absolutely nothing about it.

Baltimore is only at a disadvantage because of what Baltimore did. Just like the Broncos. Like I said, the moral of the story from the NFL is that if you are going to screw up, screw up big. Screw up a little and they make you play. Screw up big and they'll keep putting it off as long as they can. They've put it off long enough now that if there were any players who got put on the list because they were close contacts but they didn't fail a test they will be able to play on Tuesd, er, ah, wait, Wednesday.

I could buy the NFL waiting a day without positive tests that would impact the game. The NFL did not do that in the end and bent over for the Ravens to allow them to play on Wednesday.

They've put it off long enough now that if there were any players who got put on the list because they were close contacts but they didn't fail a test they will be able to play on Tuesd, er, ah, wait, Wednesday.

By the way, four players came off their covid list today (although one is on the injured reserve and won't play anyway). And since they moved the game to Wednesday both Dobbins and Ingram will be eligible to play as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT