ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: Dixon and Co

just landed top 6 sg in class. Freak athlete . Just funny lol . Chryst leaves pitt wisconsin can recruit . Dixon leaves pitt and tcu can recruit . I love capel . Thats all hha
It does make one have a pause. If guys almost always recruit better after they leave Pitt (add Howland to the list), is it us, and not them?

You understand making the tournament is a huge accomplishment at tcu

It’ll now be a big accomplishment for a coach at Pitt to achieve .

Of course I do.

It’s not even the inevitable early outs, it’s watching his teams play so differently than they have all season. So tentative and tight.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I know hha. Something must be different maybe he had some unwinding to do but he is recruiting some athletes . Oh I miss those days ahha

He actually has some really good assistants at TCU, including one of the best recruiters in the country.

No clue why he didn’t hire guys like that at Pitt, whatever the reason I’m sure it’s a big part of the story of why he’s no longer here.

Lmaoo. Like the name. And who knows. Hes getting athletes he didnt get at pitt and his teams chuck threes like its nobodies business. Syracuse shuts lots of teams down. Its moot point.

He also lost his starting PG to a knee injury. So *shrugs.*

There's something different at TCU . Maybe it's the assistants or they have an active booster group ,but something is different . JD wasn't mailing it in at Pitt and I'm pretty sure TCU isn't an easier sell .
Don't underestimate his coaching abilities , given all the pieces he'll win a championship . His Pitt teams never had the elite NBA talent .

Reactions: Jeffburgh
There's something different at TCU . Maybe it's the assistants or they have an active booster group ,but something is different . JD wasn't mailing it in at Pitt and I'm pretty sure TCU isn't an easier sell .
Don't underestimate his coaching abilities , given all the pieces he'll win a championship . His Pitt teams never had the elite NBA talent .
The weather lol

I think what we are seeing is Dixon is a great coach when he has great assistants. When he has poor assistants, not so much.

He actually has some really good assistants at TCU, including one of the best recruiters in the country.

No clue why he didn’t hire guys like that at Pitt, whatever the reason I’m sure it’s a big part of the story of why he’s no longer here.

just landed top 6 sg in class. Freak athlete . Just funny lol . Chryst leaves pitt wisconsin can recruit . Dixon leaves pitt and tcu can recruit . I love capel . Thats all hha
It’s the Ass’t coaches. Jamie’s personality is like watching paint dry. My guess he is being schooled on how to recruit. At Pitt he never really had any good assistants.

It’s the Ass’t coaches. Jamie’s personality is like watching paint dry. My guess he is being schooled on how to recruit. At Pitt he never really had any good assistants.
That's not really it at all.

The issue is that Dixon wasn't never a big salesman type. But instead he preaches stuff like learning the system and playing defense and going to class. He never really tried to pursuade kids like salesmen do. That worked much better when we were the hot program.

I know this from someone who was recruited by Dixon. It wasn't an issue with personality per se. His personality was more or less just the same as most coaches. And it certainly was not ever about his assistants.

After a while, and not being the "hot" ACC program, this message just didn't have the same power.

But it sure works well for a program like TCU on the upswing.

But like I said, it's not about the assistants.

His success, or lack thereof, on the recruiting trail is all on him.

That's not really it at all.

The issue is that Dixon wasn't never a big salesman type. But instead he preaches stuff like learning the system and playing defense and going to class. He never really tried to pursuade kids like salesmen do. That worked much better when we were the hot program.

I know this from someone who was recruited by Dixon. It wasn't an issue with personality per se. His personality was more or less just the same as most coaches. And it certainly was not ever about his assistants.

After a while, and not being the "hot" ACC program, this message just didn't have the same power.

But it sure works well for a program like TCU on the upswing.

But like I said, it's not about the assistants.

His success, or lack thereof, on the recruiting trail is all on him.
I normally respect your opinion , but having watched JD strike out on every piriorty recruit the last three yrs at Pitt it's more than JD .

Reactions: PittPanthers90
I normally respect your opinion , but having watched JD strike out on every piriorty recruit the last three yrs at Pitt it's more than JD .

I can't say whether it's more than Dixon (or Stallings or Capel). That wasn't my point.

My point was a rebuttal to the notion that the issue about Dixon's poor recruiting in his last three years was because of his "personality" and that his recruiting success.

The poster suggested that the issue with Dixon's recruiting is that his personality was really dry and his success at TCU was because of his assistants there.

What I was sharing was the direct opinion of a parent of someone who was directly recruited by Pitt. I had several extensive conversations with him about the entire recruiting experience with Dixon and the other schools this player visited. They were more impressed with Dixon than any other head coach they visited. What they liked best is that the first stop on the official visit they took to Pitt is that Dixon took the whole family to meet Chancellor Nordenberg. On no other visit, did this family meet the Chancellor of the University.

This parent had nothing but the best things to say about Dixon. They described him as honest, straighforward, engaging, and sincere. It was actually the assistants in the situation that made the recruit go elsewhere (although I believe Dixon and the assistant played some "good-cop/bad cop" in this particular situation -- and Pitt wasn't entirely sure this recruit was someone Pitt really wanted to take.).

A couple of years after this player chose elsewhere, I spent more time talking to this parent asking why he thought Dixon was having recruiting struggles. His opinion was more along the lines of Dixon's straightforwardness maybe working against him when trying to sell Pitt among other ACC schools.

Reactions: freddietee511
I can't say whether it's more than Dixon (or Stallings or Capel). That wasn't my point.

My point was a rebuttal to the notion that the issue about Dixon's poor recruiting in his last three years was because of his "personality" and that his recruiting success.

The poster suggested that the issue with Dixon's recruiting is that his personality was really dry and his success at TCU was because of his assistants there.

What I was sharing was the direct opinion of a parent of someone who was directly recruited by Pitt. I had several extensive conversations with him about the entire recruiting experience with Dixon and the other schools this player visited. They were more impressed with Dixon than any other head coach they visited. What they liked best is that the first stop on the official visit they took to Pitt is that Dixon took the whole family to meet Chancellor Nordenberg. On no other visit, did this family meet the Chancellor of the University.

This parent had nothing but the best things to say about Dixon. They described him as honest, straighforward, engaging, and sincere. It was actually the assistants in the situation that made the recruit go elsewhere (although I believe Dixon and the assistant played some "good-cop/bad cop" in this particular situation -- and Pitt wasn't entirely sure this recruit was someone Pitt really wanted to take.).

A couple of years after this player chose elsewhere, I spent more time talking to this parent asking why he thought Dixon was having recruiting struggles. His opinion was more along the lines of Dixon's straightforwardness maybe working against him when trying to sell Pitt among other ACC schools.

I don’t know much about went wrong recruiting-wise Dixon’s last few years at Pitt, but to suggest that his assistants didn’t have that much to do with their recent recruiting success at TCU is disingenuous at best.

Ryan Miller has brought in most of those players, it’s not exactly a secret. He and David Patrick deserve a hell of a lot of credit.

Stupid post because that coach had historically good success at THIS school. He won’t have that success at THAT school over the long term. So it’s not “our school” or “our program”

I think he needed a fresh start which is why his recruiting dipped and now came back. It’s not the school. That happens. Some people leave great companies and find a fresh start in a lessor company but get energized. It is what it is.

Congrats on a few players that some other people liked too. But saying “success increases elsewhere” is nitter type logic. It hasn’t happened.

Last edited:

Something nobody here is even considering is that if anyone has been paying attention, TCU is playing ball quite a bit differently than any team pitt has had. They are spreading the floor and arent really slogging it down. One of the highest scoring offenses the past two years. Not hard to see why kids wanna play there. Its a damn nice place .

Stupid post because that coach had historically good success at THIS school. He won’t have that success at THAT school over the long term. So it’s not “our school” or “our program”

I think he needed a fresh start which is why his recruiting dipped and now came back. It’s not the school. That happens. Some people leave great companies and find a fresh start in a lessor company but get energized. It is what it is.

Congrats on a few players that some other people liked too. But saying “success increases elsewhere” is nitter type logic. It hasn’t happened.
Ummm. This is dumb as heck haha. Yes he has succeeded in two short years. What is it called when we dont make the tourney? Him and howland have been the only successful coaches here In 30 years haha

Something nobody here is even considering is that if anyone has been paying attention, TCU is playing ball quite a bit differently than any team pitt has had. They are spreading the floor and arent really slogging it down. One of the highest scoring offenses the past two years. Not hard to see why kids wanna play there. Its a damn nice place .
I remember JD saying once he always wanted a team of interchangeable 6`6" - 6`7" guys . He just never had the right personal here at Pitt . The BE was a bagger league and he couldn't sign the guys he wanted once Pitt went to the
ACC . A God coach gets the best talent he can and maximizes their abilities .
Unlike Pitts Fb coach who continues to put his CB'S on an island they can't defend .

He ate up the coaching budget with his fat salary, got lazy and got average. He fell into a pile of money in Texas...Pitt should get a percentage of his salary.
Are we still paying Pederson?

I remember JD saying once he always wanted a team of interchangeable 6`6" - 6`7" guys . He just never had the right personal here at Pitt . The BE was a bagger league and he couldn't sign the guys he wanted once Pitt went to the
ACC . A God coach gets the best talent he can and maximizes their abilities .
Unlike Pitts Fb coach who continues to put his CB'S on an island they can't defend .
Did we get beat deep by Gtech, PSU? If you're going to complain/whine/cry don't you think throwing in a fact might help on occasion?

Did we get beat deep by Gtech, PSU? If you're going to complain/whine/cry don't you think throwing in a fact might help on occasion?
No , it's about not adapting to the talent you have . A good coach put his players in a position to succeed not fail .
Guess you didn't watch Pitt play defense last yr ! Or the 2 yrs before that !

Last edited:
No , it's about not adapting to the talent you have . A good coach put his players in a position to succeed not fail .
Guess you didn't watch Pitt play defense last yr ! Or the 2 yrs before that !
You are ignoring this year because it doesn't fit your narrative of "continues to...".
Now that it appears to be a success you ignore it. You know what they say...ignorance is bliss...

You are ignoring this year because it doesn't fit your narrative of "continues to...".
Now that it appears to be a success you ignore it. You know what they say...ignorance is bliss...

Wait a second, you are using as your proof that our pass defense has improved the fact that it was OK in games against a 1AA team, a game played in a constant downpour and a game against a team that runs an option offense and basically only throws the ball when they have to?

Reactions: Jpripper88
Let's wait until we face a team that can throw the ball .

Listen I'd love it if PN was the man , but what he's show so far is that he can't recruit the players needed to win big enough to spark fan interest in the program . If your satisfied with a team that wins 6-8 games a yr , goes to a third tier bowl game in their good seasons , gets crushed most times by quality teams and draws 30,000 fans unless they're playing PSU or ND then he's your man . He'll have two more season to prove me wrong and i hope he does .

Wait a second, you are using as your proof that our pass defense has improved the fact that it was OK in games against a 1AA team, a game played in a constant downpour and a game against a team that runs an option offense and basically only throws the ball when they have to?
Logic is tuff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT