ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Doctor J...

I dont know if there's ever been a better finish at the rim. And if there is, I think his rock the cradle dunk has to be in the discussion as well.

Yep. Jordan, Doctor J, George Gervin, Elgin Baylor, Alex English (leading scorer of the 1980s!) are my first thought for forwards. Smaller guards? Tiny Archibald, Tony Parker, Allen Iverson, Isiah Thomas come to mind.

Yep. Jordan, Doctor J, George Gervin, Elgin Baylor, Alex English (leading scorer of the 1980s!) are my first thought for forwards. Smaller guards? Tiny Archibald, Tony Parker, Allen Iverson, Isiah Thomas come to mind.

If we’re discussing HOF forwards from the 80’s Bernard King and Adrian Dantley are two guys that stand out to me. Both had that mid range game that seems to be almost lost these days.

Doug Collins who played with Dr. J and coached MJ said that Erving could stand out of bounds behind the end line, jump in bounds, put one hand on the backboard and dunk with the other hand. Although he tried many times in practice, Jordan could not do this.

My all time favorite basketball player. I had a life sized poster of him on my wall when I was a kid.
After the 1974-75 season, Pitt was playing in the NIT Tournament. Back then, the NIT was a prestigious event because only 32 team were selected to play in the NCAA Tournament. The entire NIT Tournament was played in Madison Square Garden in Manhattan.

Coincidentally, the Indiana Pacers were scheduled to play the New York Nets at Nassau Coliseum in an ABA game on Long Island on an off day for the Panthers. Former Pitt All-American, Billy Knight, was the Pacers' 1st Round draft choice that season, so Coach Ridl took the entire team and staff to the game to watch Billy play against....wait for it...Dr. J!

What a memorable experience that was!

If we’re discussing HOF forwards from the 80’s Bernard King and Adrian Dantley are two guys that stand out to me. Both had that mid range game that seems to be almost lost these days.
I think Clyde Drexler was the best of all of them. He was a small forward with PG skills and the all time best rebounder at this position. He did it all!

I think Clyde Drexler was the best of all of them. He was a small forward with PG skills and the all time best rebounder at this position. He did it all!

PG skills??? Drexler had more trouble dribbling the ball than any other hall of fame guard I've ever seen. He literally would keep his head down. He was a great finisher though, no doubt, both with the knees up dunks and the finger rolls and little running hooks and stuff around the rim.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Dma9B50WwAEuERK.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT