ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Elon Musk buying one of sports biggest brands?

If you’re rooting for the demise of something, Elon buying it should be thrilling!
Well I’m not going to debate the merits of musk. But Football is easy. Owners can fix anything with lots of money. Now, if this were true, and his tweet is kind of vague, I don’t think there’s anything he can do to save them from relegation this season if that’s the course they are headed to.

Can he buy the Knicks? Rumors swirling they might be sold in a couple years

Buy the Pirates.
The economics of baseball and soccer aren’t all that dissimilar. The difference is an owner can pour their money into the pirates to make them competitive, but the owner will lose money doing so. Manchester United, if I were to look it up, is maybe a top 10 sports brand in the world. So there’s money to be made all over the world. Man United makes more money and has more fans in the USA than the Pirates.

it would take an owner willing to lose boat loads of money to make the Pirates what we want them to be, and usually guys with that kind of money didn’t get that way with that mentality.

The Pirates are a businessman's dream. Put out an inferior product and still make money hand over fist. It's the reason that Bob Nutting has no intention of ever selling.
Some want to be winners, create a great club, sell merchandise, and make some money. Some also want respect and that what they touch is successful.

Buying Manchester United?

lord I hope not. Many of us are enjoying their demise and the way things are now.

Wow, this is fantastic. I was hoping Elon would get into sports. The interesting thing to me would be if he would run it like a business and try to make good profits or is he such a big soccer fan that he would just try to break even like the Russian oligarchs and Middle East Royalty owner/fanboys. For those that don't know, FIFA had to put in a policy that the team must break even or be penalized because these people with more money than God, had no interest in making money, it was just their real-life fantasy team.

Man, I am so so hoping he gets bored and decides to pay players from Louisana-Monroe or someone like that $1 million/year so they can win natty's. That would piss off so many people, it would be hilarious. I'd be a huge ULM fan. Heck, maybe we can get him to buy Howard for the ACC.

It is pretty fascinating to see ManU in this situation. I'm no soccer expert but this would be like the Patriots turning into the Detroit Lions or something.
You guys realize it was just two games, give the team a chance here. It would take Man U losing enough to get relegated, and that isn’t happening anytime soon. They finished 6th last year with plenty of problems.

You guys realize it was just two games, give the team a chance here. It would take Man U losing enough to get relegated, and that isn’t happening anytime soon. They finished 6th last year with plenty of problems.
They’ve been on a 30point pace since January. That’s relegation level. As much we think United are going to turn things around, their current funk is not a small sample size. I know many United fans are worried that this won’t turn around any time soon.

Reactions: pittdan77
They’ve been on a 30point pace since January. That’s relegation level. As much we think United are going to turn things around, their current funk is not a small sample size. I know many United fans are worried that this won’t turn around any time soon.
That was my understanding of their situation when I made that comment. That's pretty bad.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
That was my understanding of their situation when I made that comment. That's pretty bad.
Yeah you’re absolutely right. They’re a mess. But I’ll take it a step further. If a team in the US has that type of drop, they just get the #1 pick and start fresh the next year. But in soccer, drop like that and you’re relegated. It’s a potential SMU type death sentence. Once that happens, any good player you have wants out, and you’re not attracting or able to pay new any new players. Even for a gigantic club like United, once you go down there are no guarantees you make it back up any time soon.

This guy gets it. What a great follow.

dvuxbsfygbx11.jpg

Yeah you’re absolutely right. They’re a mess. But I’ll take it a step further. If a team in the US has that type of drop, they just get the #1 pick and start fresh the next year. But in soccer, drop like that and you’re relegated. It’s a potential SMU type death sentence. Once that happens, any good player you have wants out, and you’re not attracting or able to pay new any new players. Even for a gigantic club like United, once you go down there are no guarantees you make it back up any time soon.
Too bad MLB doesn't have relegation. The Pirates could be battling Altoona to stay in AA.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
United would be back in a year, come on. They could still have double or triple the payroll of a team in the Championship

United would be back in a year, come on. They could still have double or triple the payroll of a team in the Championship
What would happen to United stock price if they got relegated and lost out on premier league worldwide tv money and then instead only had the $1,000,000 deal in the English Championship?

actually forget I asked. You’re the guy who guaranteed the Dow would be at 3000 in 2020.

What would happen to United stock price if they got relegated and lost out on premier league worldwide tv money and then instead only had the $1,000,000 deal in the English Championship?

actually forget I asked. You’re the guy who guaranteed the Dow would be at 3000 in 2020.
6000 if there was no Vax and I would have been right.

Man U's salary pool would double, triple, maybe quadruple teams in the Championship. They'd be back the next year. Come on now.

ADVERTISEMENT