ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ESPN says Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy and Mike Tomlin are the same

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
They are right. I’ve been saying it forever.

They are right. I’ve been saying it forever.

No Way Smh GIF by SportsManias

Did you not watch the clip you linked?

WTH does a conversation about McCarthy and Payton have to do with Tomlin?
Wait, they weren’t talking about Tomlin? Damn I thought they were since all 3 are good coaches with exactly the same resume.

My bad.

Tomlin has been two Super Bowls, but overall Payton and McCarthy have won playoff games more often than Tomlin.

What's silly regarding Tomlin is if the stillers were to move on from him- he would be able to sign a bigger deal with multiple teams in about an hour.

What's silly regarding Tomlin is if the stillers were to move on from him- he would be able to sign a bigger deal with multiple teams in about an hour.
No one disputes that.

I mean, he should be thrilled that Sean Payton just got paid. They have the exact same resume. Tomlin has lifetime stability with the Steelers, but he could make a lot more money on the open market.

Tomlin is still a top-5 paid coach in the NFL, so it isn't like he isn't very well compensated. He'd just get stupid money because awful franchises need to pay more to attract talent.

No one disputes that.

I mean, he should be thrilled that Sean Payton just got paid. They have the exact same resume. Tomlin has lifetime stability with the Steelers, but he could make a lot more money on the open market.
The end game with Tomlin (and Rooney) as I wrote above, would be for him to become part of the Steelers ownership group. It’s the next logical extension of Woke sainthood that Rooney seeks, and a significant elevation in status (and longer term money) for Tomlin. If it would kickstart the team by injecting fresh new blood then fans should be all for it…but there’s still no guarantee they’d replace Tomlin as coach. 😄

Misleading thread title. They didn’t mention Mike Tomlin once in that video.
Which is kinda the point. Why does espn never mention Payton, Tomlin and McCarthy in the same conversation? It’s one of life’s great mystery’s.

If I had a choice between the 3 for my team, I’d have a tough time making the decision.

Which is kinda the point. Why does espn never mention Payton, Tomlin and McCarthy in the same conversation? It’s one of life’s great mystery’s.

If I had a choice between the 3 for my team, I’d have a tough time making the decision.
I think if you consider all three of them to be equal caliber and are hiring one of them as your head coach, you pick Tomlin because he’s the youngest. Greater chance of being around the longest.

The end game with Tomlin (and Rooney) as I wrote above, would be for him to become part of the Steelers ownership group. It’s the next logical extension of Woke sainthood that Rooney seeks, and a significant elevation in status (and longer term money) for Tomlin. If it would kickstart the team by injecting fresh new blood then fans should be all for it…but there’s still no guarantee they’d replace Tomlin as coach. 😄
Since when did rich people just give things away?

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
What a clown shoes comment
Holy shit

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
My biggest concern is with the owner. Not out of "wokeness" but out of a rigid adherence to the "Steelers Way" where he thinks it is 1975. Which makes him fairly normal here.

Tomlin is good but I would prefer Payton if I was looking for a coach. McCarthy nowhere near either of them.

Tomlin is good but I would prefer Payton if I was looking for a coach. McCarthy nowhere near either of them.
Nowhere near...really?

Seasons
16 Tomlin
16 McCarthy
15 Payton

Regular Season Wins
163 Tomlin
155 McCarthy
152 Payton

Regular Season Winning %
0.636 Tomlin
0.631 Payton
0.614 McCarthy

10+ win seasons
10 McCarthy
9 Payton
9 Tomlin

Division Titles
7 Payton
7 Tomlin
7 McCarthy

Playoff Wins
11 McCarthy
9 Payton
8 Tomlin

Playoff Winning %
0.529 Payton
0.524 McCarthy
0.471 Tomlin

Seasons with a Playoff Win
7 Payton
7 McCarthy
4 Tomlin

Super Bowl Appearances
2 Tomlin
1 Payton
1 McCarthy

Super Bowl Titles
1 Tomlin
1 Payton
1 McCarthy

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Nowhere near...really?

Seasons
16 Tomlin
16 McCarthy
15 Payton

Regular Season Wins
163 Tomlin
155 McCarthy
152 Payton

Regular Season Winning %
0.636 Tomlin
0.631 Payton
0.614 McCarthy

10+ win seasons
10 McCarthy
9 Payton
9 Tomlin

Division Titles
7 Payton
7 Tomlin
7 McCarthy

Playoff Wins
11 McCarthy
9 Payton
8 Tomlin

Playoff Winning %
0.529 Payton
0.524 McCarthy
0.471 Tomlin

Seasons with a Playoff Win
7 Payton
7 McCarthy
4 Tomlin

Super Bowl Appearances
2 Tomlin
1 Payton
1 McCarthy

Super Bowl Titles
1 Tomlin
1 Payton
1 McCarthy
I’m not talking about stats/wins and losses. Watching them all coach over the years it’s pretty obvious one is somewhat of an assclown and the other 2 aren’t. McCarthy always has a ton of talent around him yet every year he makes bonehead decisions that cost his team a game or so that they should’ve won.

There have been a lot of coaches over the years with good records and results that just aren’t that good. Short career, but Barry Switzer had a career .624 winning percentage, won a Super Bowl and made it to an NFC championship another time and he basically had no clue what he was doing on an NFL field.

Norv Turner won more than 58% of his games as a Charger coach, but was pretty much well known as being an idiot around the league that only kept surviving because of inept Chargers ownership.

I’m not talking about stats/wins and losses. Watching them all coach over the years it’s pretty obvious one is somewhat of an assclown and the other 2 aren’t. McCarthy always has a ton of talent around him yet every year he makes bonehead decisions that cost his team a game or so that they should’ve won.

There have been a lot of coaches over the years with good records and results that just aren’t that good. Short career, but Barry Switzer had a career .624 winning percentage, won a Super Bowl and made it to an NFC championship another time and he basically had no clue what he was doing on an NFL field.

Norv Turner won more than 58% of his games as a Charger coach, but was pretty much well known as being an idiot around the league that only kept surviving because of inept Chargers ownership.
That’s crazy. Look what McCarthy has done in Dallas. He took a team that went 8-8 and 6-10 before he got there, then went 12-5 and won a division title his first year there. Then he followed it up this year by holding it together with Cooper Rush at QB for 5 straight weeks at the beginning of the season and went 12-5 again. That franchise has been a mess for so long and he came in and changed the culture instantly.

The guy gets no respect and I don’t get it. He’s not a great coach but he’s a good one. Just like Tomlin.

ADVERTISEMENT