ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fleury dealt to Chicago

JD1976

Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2005
Traded for no assets. Chicago is taking on all of his $7m cap hit so Vegas obviously valued clearing the space.

The Penguins could not have made that deal so nothing to see here. In other news, Braden Holtby is being bought out. Could he be a possibility to team with Jarry? His play has fallen off, but you could sign him for $1.5 or something like that with him still receiving pay from VAN.

Wow.
He was on Madden's show yesterday, and Madden almost guaranteed he would not be traded.

In other NHL news, the Caps resign Alex Ovechkin to a five year extension, $9.5 million per year.

He isn't worth $9.5 million a year today. That deal is going to look simply awful by the time it runs out.
Five years wow. At least he has been fairly durable. Word is Malkin was keeping a close eye on Ovi’s haul. Hopefully, the Pens don’t make a mistake and overpay after this year.

Traded for no assets. Chicago is taking on all of his $7m cap hit so Vegas obviously valued clearing the space.

The Penguins could not have made that deal so nothing to see here. In other news, Braden Holtby is being bought out. Could he be a possibility to team with Jarry? His play has fallen off, but you could sign him for $1.5 or something like that with him still receiving pay from VAN.
In the twilight of a fantastic career .
Someone once said." It's time to get on with his life's work ".

Five years wow. At least he has been fairly durable. Word is Malkin was keeping a close eye on Ovi’s haul. Hopefully, the Pens don’t make a mistake and overpay after this year.
No way I see that as anywhere close to happening with Pens and Malkin

In other NHL news, the Caps resign Alex Ovechkin to a five year extension, $9.5 million per year.

He isn't worth $9.5 million a year today. That deal is going to look simply awful by the time it runs out.
I was surprised by this. Not just the term, but the salary. If Geno thinks he is getting the same salary moving forward, I'm afraid I got some baaaad news.....

No way I see that as anywhere close to happening with Pens and Malkin
Well Ovi suffered his first significant injury last year, and played in 80% of the Caps games. Ovi has played in 95%+ of the games the Caps played, every year prior.

Geno, has missed 25-33% of seasons almost every year of the past 10.

So Geno's overall durability needs to be considered.

Well Ovi suffered his first significant injury last year, and played in 80% of the Caps games. Ovi has played in 95%+ of the games the Caps played, every year prior.

Geno, has missed 25-33% of seasons almost every year of the past 10.

So Geno's overall durability needs to be considered.
Yeah, there’s a difference in recent performance and durability but my main reason for saying there is no way something similar will happen with Malkin is because I don’t think Hextall or Burke would have even the remotest interest in doing it.

Yeah, there’s a difference in recent performance and durability but my main reason for saying there is no way something similar will happen with Malkin is because I don’t think Hextall or Burke would have even the remotest interest in doing it.
Christ, Jim Rutherford would give Malkin a 10 year, $10 million dollar deal. Along with probably trading a few 1st rd picks just to celebrate it.

Reactions: Phillypanther2

I don't know, this deal makes him the 11th highest paid forward in the league. He's been the league's top goal scorer 3 of the past 4 seasons and is still a solid two-way player. By the end of the contract he will likely be overpaid from a performance standpoint, but by that time he should be on the doorstep to breaking Gretsky's record. Looking at it from a merchandising, attendance, fan goodwill standpoint they probably got a pretty good deal. Imagine the response if they let him go somewhere else to chase the record.

Didn’t know we were talking about Rutherford, I cited Hextall and Burke. Rutherford has no relevance any longer in the decision-making.
Maybe JR does. The Pens signed Dominic FREAKIN Simon. I can’t believe it!!!!!!
I guess you can never have enough small finesse forwards with little offensive ability.

I don't know, this deal makes him the 11th highest paid forward in the league. He's been the league's top goal scorer 3 of the past 4 seasons and is still a solid two-way player. By the end of the contract he will likely be overpaid from a performance standpoint, but by that time he should be on the doorstep to breaking Gretsky's record. Looking at it from a merchandising, attendance, fan goodwill standpoint they probably got a pretty good deal. Imagine the response if they let him go somewhere else to chase the record.

Well first of all, he was 18th in goal scoring last year and tied for 64th in points. That is a lot more relevant at his age than what he did three or four years ago. If you feel that that is unfair to him because he did miss time due to injury last year, well, which is more likely, that as he ages through his late 30s that he has some injury issues or that he'll be completely healthy for the next five years? And even at that, his points per game last season was 34th best in the league.

And that doesn't even take into account your laughable notion that he's still a "solid two-way player". Good lord, he's never been a good defender, and he isn't nearly as good at it (or is it that he's not nearly as interested in it?) as he was five years ago. And that's extremely unlikely to get any better as he approaches 40.

They are paying him like as if he is going to produce like he has in the past. And that just isn't going to happen. I'm not saying that he might not be worth $9.5 million next season, he probably will be, or at least close enough. But he's not going to be worth anywhere close to $9.5 million by the time that contract ends. And that's assuming that he stays healthy. Which is no guarantee.

Yep, they're absolutely paying him for what he's done rather than what he will do. When you're a legend for a franchise, that's one of the perks you get.

Well, your comeback reply mentioning JR didn’t make much sense, I guess just another opportunity for one more last parting jab at him.
Well it is relevant because we are in the situation we are in, because of his gratuitous moves and overpaying for EVERYTHING including trades and salaries.

Well it is relevant because we are in the situation we are in, because of his gratuitous moves and overpaying for EVERYTHING including trades and salaries.
So you’re saying that if it wasn’t for the situation we’re in now because of what JR did previously, Hextall and Burke would consider giving Malkin the 10-year $10 million deal you threw out.

Umh no. I don’t care what kind of salary cap position we’re in because of JR, Hextall and Burke would never consider that deal or any deal equivalent to what Ovechkin got, which started this back n forth. Sorry, not relevant to what Hextall and Burke would consider giving to Malkin.

So you’re saying that if it wasn’t for the situation we’re in now because of what JR did previously, Hextall and Burke would consider giving Malkin the 10-year $10 million deal you threw out.

Umh no. I don’t care what kind of salary cap position we’re in because of JR, Hextall and Burke would never consider that deal or any deal equivalent to what Ovechkin got, which started this back n forth. Sorry, not relevant to what Hextall and Burke would consider giving to Malkin.
Dude, are you nuts, stupid or you just don't like me so you are trying to make a mountain over a mole hill that isn't really there? Please let me know, so I can respond accordingly. Thanks.

Dude, are you nuts, stupid or you just don't like me so you are trying to make a mountain over a mole hill that isn't really there? Please let me know, so I can respond accordingly. Thanks.
You kept replying back so I just played along. Nothing more than lighthearted banter from my perspective. We can put a wrap on it.

ADVERTISEMENT