ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gold Cup

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
Honest to God that semi was hard to watch at the same time as you not being able to take your eyes off of it. Probably should not have been played but whatever.

I tend to favor keepers so I don’t know if that was a penalty or not.

But god damn Naeher is just a beast. She saved their asses last night and made the save in the World Cup as well even if the criminals at FIFA said no.

I will be totally honest I like this team now that Rapinoe is gone. She was a great player but I feel everything became about her rather than the team.

Horan probably learned a lesson after her stupid comments and Alex seems to have understood her new role.

Just love Sophia Smith. And who doesn’t love Rose.

Really hated watching that match last night. Those conditions in the first half were just plain stupid. At times, the water was the best defense. It was really a question of who would make the most mistakes, not a matter of the quality of play.
Really looking forward to the return of Cat Macario some day.

Last edited:
Really hated watching that match last night. Those conditions in the first half were just plan stupid. At times, the water was the best defense. It was really a question of who would make the most mistakes, not a matter of the quality of play.
Really looking forward to the return of Cat Macario some day.
After scoring a goal for Chelsea over the weekend, you’d have to think the Cat will be on the Olympic squad this summer provided she stays healthy.

Reactions: phijo
As we prepare for the Gold Cup Final stateside, Macario scores again for Chelsea to lead them 1-0 into the FA Cup Semifinal. 2 games and 2 goals for her. Sometimes I wonder about the competition over there in the domestic leagues after you get outside the top 4 teams or so. While this is a cup competition match, Everton is a super league team. Check #27 tracking back. What the heck is she doing?

Looked like about half way through the run she thought, damn, I didn't sign up for all this running.
No sense of urgency in the box. The Chelsea player was pinned up against the goal line. She just slowed down and let her create an an angle and make the pass.

I’ve benched high school players for that kind of play.

Noticed during the match tonight that they keep referring to it as the “W” gold cup. I’m guessing the word women is no longer appropriate? The world has a mental disorder.

Noticed during the match tonight that they keep referring to it as the “W” gold cup. I’m guessing the word women is no longer appropriate? The world has a mental disorder.

It's also odd because of course in much of the region the predominant language is not English, it's Spanish. So like in places like Mexico and Costa Rica do the call it the F Cup?

It's also odd because of course in much of the region the predominant language is not English, it's Spanish. So like in places like Mexico and Costa Rica do the call it the F Cup?
Yeah I wondered about that too. Plus isn’t it the Copa Oro or something?

not sure if you watched…but that was an entertaining match. I’m becoming a fan of Emily Fox.

Last edited:
Yeah I wondered about that too. Plus isn’t it the Copa Oro or something?

not sure if you watched…but that was an entertaining match. I’m becoming a fan of Emily Fox.

I did watch, and it was a good match. Brazil had the better of it early, then the US grew into the game, then Brazil threw everything they had at goal in the end.

Was Brazil and invite like they do on the men’s side?

As part of this new cooperation between CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, they invited the top four CONMEBOL teams to participate. Brazil, Argentina, Columbia and Paraguay.

Interestingly, all four CONMEBOL teams made it to the quarters, although only Brazil won in the quarters.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I’m liking Sam Coffey in the 6. She seems like a future captain.
You know, I had to look her up to make sure she wasn’t Paul Coffey’s daughter who was born in the US. Lol. She’s not…but she’s another boarding school, presumably affluent American soccer player.

I thought Twila Kilgore did a good job managing the squad throughout the tournament. I watched several of her interviews and she seems very insightful and calculated and with a focus on making this USWNT team and culture right for the long term. Not sure what her relationship is with Hayes but she’d be a good successor (hopefully WAY down the road).

As we prepare for the Gold Cup Final stateside, Macario scores again for Chelsea to lead them 1-0 into the FA Cup Semifinal. 2 games and 2 goals for her. Sometimes I wonder about the competition over there in the domestic leagues after you get outside the top 4 teams or so. While this is a cup competition match, Everton is a super league team. Check #27 tracking back. What the heck is she doing?

I mentioned the Everton outside back above giving up on the play…well Emily Fox is an outside back in that league and plays for Arsenal. My daughter was telling me that her game has really improved since she went there to play…so there’s that.

After scoring a goal for Chelsea over the weekend, you’d have to think the Cat will be on the Olympic squad this summer provided she stays healthy.

I don't know if you saw, but they released the roster for next week's She Believes Cup today. Macario is on the roster. Mallory Swanson is also on the team, so two big players back from injury.

Two other interesting names, Eva Gaetino, a 21 year old defender for PSG and Lily Yohannes, a 16, yes 16 year old midfielder who plays for Ajax.

I don't know if it's because of Hayes or Kilgore that they keep pulling in these young players to the squad, but whomever is responsible, more please.

I don't know if you saw, but they released the roster for next week's She Believes Cup today. Macario is on the roster. Mallory Swanson is also on the team, so two big players back from injury.

Two other interesting names, Eva Gaetino, a 21 year old defender for PSG and Lily Yohannes, a 16, yes 16 year old midfielder who plays for Ajax.

I don't know if it's because of Hayes or Kilgore that they keep pulling in these young players to the squad, but whomever is responsible, more please.
I had never heard of the young girl from Ajax, but that’s very interesting. The USWNT calling up a player who developed in Europe instead of the US? Sounds like something that would happen on the mens side. I’m pretty sure the Chelsea Women play Ajax this week. I’ll have to pay attention.

Something else to keep in mind is that this is not a real competition so these players won’t be cap tied. Still can’t get over the 16 year old. Lol.

I had never heard of the young girl from Ajax, but that’s very interesting. The USWNT calling up a player who developed in Europe instead of the US? Sounds like something that would happen on the mens side. I’m pretty sure the Chelsea Women play Ajax this week. I’ll have to pay attention.

You won't see her this week, because she played in the first leg of the tie and got a yellow, which put her over whatever the yellow limit is so she is suspended for the second leg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT