ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy Birthday to The Cobra...

My favorite player as a kid, guy could do everything.

I think it’s fair to say that the drug stuff kept him out of the HOF. In two different ways actually, people looked at his career differently to be sure, and had he stayed clean I think he certainly would’ve got the 200+ more hits to get him to 300 and automatic induction.

Reactions: HOF Coach
My favorite player as a kid, guy could do everything.

I think it’s fair to say that the drug stuff kept him out of the HOF. In two different ways actually, people looked at his career differently to be sure, and had he stayed clean I think he certainly would’ve got the 200+ more hits to get him to 300 and automatic induction.

All fair points and agree.

I think he certainly would’ve got the 200+ more hits to get him to 300 and automatic induction.

To be sure, but the real problem is that his behaviors affected his production which in many people's perception hurt his team's chances of winning. This fit the script of his obnoxious behavior early in his career when he felt that he, not Stargell, should be getting the adoration from the fans and media. Of course he was wrong, as he did have the respect from the players, managers, and the baseball people, and in time he would be where guys like Stargell were with everyone else. My general experience in life is that berating people into "recognizing my talents" (a Parker quote) does not work. I am not sure when Stargell became iconic, some where in the mid 70's. I do remember being at three rivers when Stargell would pinch hit late in a game, and as he went to the on deck circle the crowd would start to cheer, and I am thinking as early as '75, maybe. Parker's need/desire to be at that point 4-5 years into his career, and especially before '79 was a bit too much, IMO.

So now with all the drug baggage added on Parker is left with only his numbers and they don't quite add up to a shoe-in.

Reactions: caleco's
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT