ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy Juneteenth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dointhatrag

Sophomore
Sep 3, 2017
Still surprised emancipation proclamation date wasn't the national holiday as Juneteenth was only for one small area in Texas while many other parts of the US had different dates of emancipation.

Oh well, enjoy the day off to all the federal employees and bankers.

Still surprised emancipation proclamation date wasn't the national holiday as Juneteenth was only for one small area in Texas while many other parts of the US had different dates of emancipation.

Oh well, enjoy the day off to all the federal employees and bankers.

Election Day should be a federal holiday. Its incredible that we make people wait in the freezing cold at night after work to vote. Or it should be on a weekend day like in other countries. Or a week long.

Election Day should be a federal holiday. Its incredible that we make people wait in the freezing cold at night after work to vote. Or it should be on a weekend day like in other countries. Or a week long.
I haven't stood in line since mail in voting was passed. I get an email saying my ballot was mailed and one to confirm it was accepted. Easiest thing ever.

I understand why the 19th was the official date. Emancipation proclamation was a letter essentially that was ignored. Juneteenth would be the actual deed completed.
And that the final emancipation proclamation was issued on January 1st, which is already a federal holiday, followed by another federal holiday two weeks later.

Down here in GA we have early voting, which is 2 weeks where you can stop in to any voting office in your county and vote. Fulton County (and maybe others) also has an app that will show you the wait time at all voting locations. So I can drive 5 more minutes to the second closest location and not have to wait.

It's incredibly convenient. I've been here 10 years and have voted in every single Federal, state, and local election since but never once on Election Day. I'm not even sure where my assigned precinct is.

I understand why the 19th was the official date. Emancipation proclamation was a letter essentially that was ignored. Juneteenth would be the actual deed completed.
Juneteenth is an amazing holiday and it should be better known. It represents the core of why the US is great.

As a white guy not from the South, I had never heard of it before moving to Atlanta and then watching the show Atlanta. They go to a Juneteenth party. The white host is pretty corny and makes his black guests listen to his spoken word poetry. He's sincere but it's a bit much.

So my first experience with it was basically "listen white people, don't be like this guy" which is totally fair but white people should celebrate Juneteenth as well.

Slavery was a crime against humanity and worst of all against our fellow countrymen. It was a barbaric practice that had no place in the world by 1860. It should have been ended long prior to 1865.

Not only was defeating slavery a major achievement, but it took the mobilization of our entire society to get it done. Basically all fighting-aged men in the North served in the war. It was a brutal war of attrition that was only won through combat, combat, and more combat. The United States Army literally stormed trenches over and over against a secessionist slaver army and took massive losses in dead and injured to win. By the end of the war, the Union and especially the US Army basically saw the war as a religious crusade against treasonous slavers ("As He died to make men holy, let us die to make them free, while God is marching on"). Every single American should be proud of that effort and sacrifice.

The Declaration of Independence was our Baptism in freedom and Juneteenth is our First Communion. We could never live up to the promises and ideals of the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution until Emancipation. It was a worthy cause and it should be celebrated by all.

Juneteenth is an amazing holiday and it should be better known. It represents the core of why the US is great.

As a white guy not from the South, I had never heard of it before moving to Atlanta and then watching the show Atlanta. They go to a Juneteenth party. The white host is pretty corny and makes his black guests listen to his spoken word poetry. He's sincere but it's a bit much.

So my first experience with it was basically "listen white people, don't be like this guy" which is totally fair but white people should celebrate Juneteenth as well.

Slavery was a crime against humanity and worst of all against our fellow countrymen. It was a barbaric practice that had no place in the world by 1860. It should have been ended long prior to 1865.

Not only was defeating slavery a major achievement, but it took the mobilization of our entire society to get it done. Basically all fighting-aged men in the North served in the war. It was a brutal war of attrition that was only won through combat, combat, and more combat. The United States Army literally stormed trenches over and over against a secessionist slaver army and took massive losses in dead and injured to win. By the end of the war, the Union and especially the US Army basically saw the war as a religious crusade against treasonous slavers ("As He died to make men holy, let us die to make them free, while God is marching on"). Every single American should be proud of that effort and sacrifice.

The Declaration of Independence was our Baptism in freedom and Juneteenth is our First Communion. We could never live up to the promises and ideals of the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution until Emancipation. It was a worthy cause and it should be celebrated by all.
Well said. Additionally it's crazy how much of our history isn't known to many. I didnt know about Tulsa massacre until college.

I haven't stood in line since mail in voting was passed. I get an email saying my ballot was mailed and one to confirm it was accepted. Easiest thing ever.
I recently received a text that my mail-in primary ballot was received. The only problem is that I didn’t vote in the primary. No joke.

Reactions: Farnox
This message is provided by the Nevada Secretary of State through BallotTrax. Your ballot envelope for the 2024 Primary Election has been scanned by USPS and is on its way to your elections official. Text STOP to opt out.

Very well said. Victory over treasonous terrorists should be celebrated. The Civil War a great victory for the US military over terrorist traitors.

Reactions: ratking17

Beautiful post. Though, I will say, and to continue the metaphor, the nation had its opportunity for its Confirmation via Reconstruction, and we let the opportunity slip through our fingers. While the Union’s victory was an unambiguous triumph, the nation does continue to feel the negative effects of the retrenchment that occurred in the south when Reconstruction ended unfinished.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Well said. Additionally it's crazy how much of our history isn't known to many. I didnt know about Tulsa massacre until college.
I didn't really learn about it until I watched "The Watchmen" on HBO. I had heard of it, but didn't really know anything about it until The Watchmen piqued my interest in learning about it. Horrible stain on our history. Same goes for the Osage Indian tribe. Didn't know anything about that until I read "Killers of the Flower Moon".

Was having a discussion recently about Juneteenth with a white conservative friend of mine. He was complaining about Juneteenth. Couldn't understand that it is our holiday as a nation, not an African American holiday. I told him that we as Americans and human beings should all be proud to celebrate the end of slavery, whether we were of the nationality enslaved or not. Some people can't look at something in any other way than with an "us vs them" mentality. I felt sorry for him.

IMO, Juneteenth is up there with Memorial Day and Independence Day as far as national holidays go.

Down here in GA we have early voting, which is 2 weeks where you can stop in to any voting office in your county and vote. Fulton County (and maybe others) also has an app that will show you the wait time at all voting locations. So I can drive 5 more minutes to the second closest location and not have to wait.

It's incredibly convenient. I've been here 10 years and have voted in every single Federal, state, and local election since but never once on Election Day. I'm not even sure where my assigned precinct is.
Same in NC. EXTREMELY easy.

I didn't really learn about it until I watched "The Watchmen" on HBO. I had heard of it, but didn't really know anything about it until The Watchmen piqued my interest in learning about it. Horrible stain on our history. Same goes for the Osage Indian tribe. Didn't know anything about that until I read "Killers of the Flower Moon".

Was having a discussion recently about Juneteenth with a white conservative friend of mine. He was complaining about Juneteenth. Couldn't understand that it is our holiday as a nation, not an African American holiday. I told him that we as Americans and human beings should all be proud to celebrate the end of slavery, whether we were of the nationality enslaved or not. Some people can't look at something in any other way than with an "us vs them" mentality. I felt sorry for him.

IMO, Juneteenth is up there with Memorial Day and Independence Day as far as national holidays go.
I would agree regarding juneteenth but would also say that we do not need MLK day as a national holiday. We used to get Washington and Lincoln's birthdays off growing up but now it is just a single president's day for all. I can't say that MLK had any greater influence than those presidents.

What about the ethnic cleansing of Greeks from Omaha, Nebraska in 1909?

Its got to be easier than having 3 hours to vote after work. I'd be ok with getting rid of mail-in ballots if voting was for a week or 2.
No doubt. Take a country like Sweden. No mail in voting (other than absentees)…but they make voting much more easier for citizens. No reason why we can’t do something similar. I’m with you.

Reactions: Novo_Caine90
I would agree regarding juneteenth but would also say that we do not need MLK day as a national holiday. We used to get Washington and Lincoln's birthdays off growing up but now it is just a single president's day for all. I can't say that MLK had any greater influence than those presidents.
Disagree about MLK. The thing about holidays is we should as Americans be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Our history is filled with many significant Americans that should be celebrated. I know MLK day has morphed into a day of service for many people so I would think we should still acknowledge and celebrate his contributions to the country.

Disagree about MLK. The thing about holidays is we should as Americans be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Our history is filled with many significant Americans that should be celebrated. I know MLK day has morphed into a day of service for many people so I would think we should still acknowledge and celebrate his contributions to the country.
Juneteenth is about Emancipation, which secured the right to be free from chattel slavery.

MLK day is for one man, but really it's about the defeat of racial segregation won via the larger Civil Rights Movement.

We're not a modern democracy without both. We can and should celebrate both.

Juneteenth is about Emancipation, which secured the right to be free from chattel slavery.

MLK day is for one man, but really it's about the defeat of racial segregation won via the larger Civil Rights Movement.

We're not a modern democracy without both. We can and should celebrate both.
The Peach Bowl a few years ago was a horrible travel experience for many canceled flights and poor weather...but an absolute highlight was the historical Civil rights areas in Atlanta including the Ebenezer Baptist church and MLKs birth home.

I've thought about that. At some point, if we are lucky, we are going to have too many great Americans to honor with individual holidays. We might want to entirely get away from individual person holidays. I remember Pitt used to call President's Day Great American Day. I could be on board with that.

But ending slavery and civil rights are 2 different concepts and both are holiday worthy IMO. I would be ok with changing MLK Day to Civil Rights Day and keep it on or around the date of MLK's birthday as a tribute to the impact he had on civil rights.

I do hope that people don't view MLK Day and Juneteenth as "black" holidays. They aren't. Like I said in my earlier post - they are holidays for all Americans.

Yeah. I just looked that up. It's rare to learn something new on a message board so thanks for sharing.
Sure, African Americans have taken the majority of the abuse, but there's been lots of racism and hate against many other ethnicities in US history.

Sure, African Americans have taken the majority of the abuse, but there's been lots of racism and hate against many other ethnicities in US history.
Japanese were interned during WWII. They seem to have mentally and physically recovered. Chinese were enslaved to build railroads. They seem to do okay. The Europeans that came over to work in the mines and mills, were essentially indentured servants in some ways. Life sucked back then. Sorry. We are lucky now. Those were far from the good old days. For most people who were of the elite class. Look what happened to the poor people of Johnstown because the Frick's, Mellon's, Kaufmann's had their precious club. While there still exists that divide......we all have a chance now to live a good life, better than most, if we just adhere to the program.

Japanese were interned during WWII. They seem to have mentally and physically recovered. Chinese were enslaved to build railroads. They seem to do okay. The Europeans that came over to work in the mines and mills, were essentially indentured servants in some ways. Life sucked back then. Sorry. We are lucky now. Those were far from the good old days. For most people who were of the elite class. Look what happened to the poor people of Johnstown because the Frick's, Mellon's, Kaufmann's had their precious club. While there still exists that divide......we all have a chance now to live a good life, better than most, if we just adhere to the program.
I mean…putting aside the model minority aspects to this, the Chinese immigration aspect isn’t really as relevant when you’re talking about multiple distinct waves. The folks who immigrated here in the 1850’s and were ground down on the railroads were part of an entirely different migration wave than the ones in the post-WW2 period. The ancestry, lineages, etc. between what the railroad workers went through and what Chinese American immigrants who came here in the second and third waves are just very different. And you can’t really fairly discuss the internment of Japanese-Americans without also pointing out that the US issued billions of dollars in reparations to surviving internees or their heirs in the late 1980’s.

What makes Black American immigration a little different is that ancestry can often be traced back to the first wave…which was the importation of slaves for which there has not been a similar redress. The more accurate comparison is probably comparing Chinese and Japanese immigrants to African immigrants whose ancestry isn’t traced back to being imported as slaves - and those populations are basically equal from every metric in terms of health, educational attainment, income, etc. But at that point, you’re really only looking at a Black American history that begins in the 1960’s when the quota system was repealed, and that’s just not capturing the full story.

No doubt. Take a country like Sweden. No mail in voting (other than absentees)…but they make voting much more easier for citizens. No reason why we can’t do something similar. I’m with you.

Voting ONLY on Election Day, a national holiday. It's not Election month. No mail-in ballots, paper ballots only, no machines, only mail-in is absentee ballot with valid, verifiable excuse. And only voting with valid, voter ID.

Happy Juneteenth !

In person voting over a few days, maybe a week, with ID!

Not that complicated unless you want it to be!
I'm with you on the multiple days, up to a week of voting. Somewhat with you on ID. I believe it is a little more complicated than just mandating IDs, but we should strive to find a way to that end. I'm not with you on in person voting. There are many people who simply cannot wait on line for the amount of time it takes in some places. There are also folks who cannot easily leave their home whether it be for health reasons or lack of transportation. Then we have those who travel for their jobs, although making it a week certainly helps some of that. Their voices are important too. We shouldn't dismiss them.

One thing that always sticks in my mind for presidential general election years - I have never waited more than 15 minutes to vote. And I rarely go at the non-peak times. I'm a before or after work voter most of the time. When I see lines that are sometimes hours long to vote in some places and then I see where that is happening and who it is happening to, it makes me wonder why this is happening. Why should it only take 15 minutes of my day to vote when it takes hours of someone else's? Of course, I have my theories on why as I'm sure you can guess - won't go into that. But regardless of why it is happening, I think we can all agree that it is a disgrace and very anti-democratic.

So, the bottom line to me is that any changes we make to the voting system should be done with an eye towards getting even more people to vote by making it convenient and easy.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I'm with you on the multiple days, up to a week of voting. Somewhat with you on ID. I believe it is a little more complicated than just mandating IDs, but we should strive to find a way to that end. I'm not with you on in person voting. There are many people who simply cannot wait on line for the amount of time it takes in some places. There are also folks who cannot easily leave their home whether it be for health reasons or lack of transportation. Then we have those who travel for their jobs, although making it a week certainly helps some of that. Their voices are important too. We shouldn't dismiss them.

One thing that always sticks in my mind for presidential general election years - I have never waited more than 15 minutes to vote. And I rarely go at the non-peak times. I'm a before or after work voter most of the time. When I see lines that are sometimes hours long to vote in some places and then I see where that is happening and who it is happening to, it makes me wonder why this is happening. Why should it only take 15 minutes of my day to vote when it takes hours of someone else's? Of course, I have my theories on why as I'm sure you can guess - won't go into that. But regardless of why it is happening, I think we can all agree that it is a disgrace and very anti-democratic.

So, the bottom line to me is that any changes we make to the voting system should be done with an eye towards getting even more people to vote by making it convenient and easy.

It is not simply mandating IDs, it is about helping people that need help!

Not that complicated unless you want it to be!

Reactions: BurghGuy68

Theres this thing called an "absentee" ballot...... Its been around for years.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Theres this thing called an "absentee" ballot...... Its been around for years.
Really????

Of course I've heard of it. My post was in response to someone saying that voting should be done in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT