ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hodgepodge of nonthingness, ridiculous, pathetic

Wrong, as usual.
I do agree that the world has changed, and not for the better.
You haven't got a clue about what growing up in small town America in the 50's and 60's was like, so best to just shut up, as usual.
Easy now. I actually thought he was joking. Btw, I’m younger than you and we played it morning til night and only took breaks when we had to go home for dinner. And what sucked the most were the kids who had to sit for 30 minutes to let their food digest.

Wrong, as usual.
I do agree that the world has changed, and not for the better.
You haven't got a clue about what growing up in small town America in the 50's and 60's was like, so best to just shut up, as usual.
ok freeport, feel free to bore us with your mythical rockwellian childhood of you and 21 other kids meeting up for a pickup baseball game every day. we believe you, it really happened.

• Haha
Reactions: FreeportPanther
Easy now. I actually thought he was joking. Btw, I’m younger than you and we played it morning til night and only took breaks when we had to go home for dinner. And what sucked the most were the kids who had to sit for 30 minutes to let their food digest.
no worries, miserable old man making his usual miserable old man post.. it's what we expect from freeport

Lots of things have changed since the idyllic Leave it to Beaver days.
Just the traffic makes it perilous to send kids out on bicycles just anywhere.
Zelda is the shock jock here. I get that, but I'll bet he's just as cautious with his kids as those he constantly belittles.
On second thought, maybe not!

no one played pick up baseball games, it didnt happen. Sorry boomers, your stories of you and your 10 buddies meeting at the sand lot and taking on 11 other kids in a pick up baseball game NEVER HAPPENED.

yeah, you played wiffle ball, as all kids did and kids do to this day and maybe you and two other kids got a ball and a bat and hit a few balls for 15 minutes but that's it. This idea that there were pick up baseball games back in the days is pure fabrication. Stop with this "we played pickup baseball in our neighborhood" nonsense. no one believes you.

the reason you dont see pick up games in other sports is because parents now dont let their kids out of the yards without supervision. If your 9 year old kid has to ask you to leave the yard, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM, not the kids. the same parents that talk about how they played pick up games as kids are now parents who are putting on helmets and knee pads on their 11 year old kids before they allow them to ride a bike..

These are the parents that are on the playgrounds, following their kids around and are on the jungle gyms as 35 year olds when they should get their tired fat ass off of it and let the kids play with other kids.
Yeah, baseball was one sport it was hard to play pickup, you need 18 kids. Who does that. I remember we had some facsimiles, right? Wiffle ball. "Fast Pitch". "run down". and sort of playing maybe a pickup game between 4-5 kids a team who opposite field was an automatic out (which would be perfect for modern day analytics baseball who eschews base hits to the opposite field).

But yeah, amazingly, all of this, and pickup football games both tackle and tag, street hockey, etc...all done with nary a parent supervising. Amazing that any of us survived, or wasn't kidnapped, etc..

Reactions: PeetWeet2
Lots of things have changed since the idyllic Leave it to Beaver days.
Just the traffic makes it perilous to send kids out on bicycles just anywhere.
Zelda is the shock jock here. I get that, but I'll bet he's just as cautious with his kids as those he constantly belittles.
On second thought, maybe not!
no, i let my kids leave the yard and ride bikes without a plastic helmet. if i made my kids put on helmets or ask permission to leave the yard, I'd punch myself in the face.

and when they were younger and at playgrounds, i kept my fat tired ass off the slides and jungle gyms cause im an adult..

Yeah, baseball was one sport it was hard to play pickup, you need 18 kids. Who does that. I remember we had some facsimiles, right? Wiffle ball. "Fast Pitch". "run down". and sort of playing maybe a pickup game between 4-5 kids a team who opposite field was an automatic out (which would be perfect for modern day analytics baseball who eschews base hits to the opposite field).

But yeah, amazingly, all of this, and pickup football games both tackle and tag, street hockey, etc...all done with nary a parent supervising. Amazing that any of us survived, or wasn't kidnapped, etc..
we played this game where a guy with a ball stood on top of a hill at an angle and there was a catcher at the bottom behind the plate and the runner would run full speed and go down the hill into the plate when the guy throwing it as soon as he came over crest of the hill.

Basically just making "plays at the plate" collisions, over and over. It was great when it just rained, it sucked to be the catcher. That and run down were timeless classics.

look at me talkin about baseball in my youth, maybe i am one of those guys i just mocked.. you bring up my point about pickup baseball games, it's just hard to imagine it happened. if freeport and FK said it happened, then why would they lie. Just cant imagine being able to pull this off consistently with how hard it would be..

3 on 3 wiffle ball, we all did it. a 2 on 2 game of hoops or shooting hoops/playing horse ok. Street hockey with a plastic ball and getting the one kid in the neighborhood who's dad bought him goalie pads to play, not as hard as a 9 on 9 baseball game.

We made up a game where we play on Little League fields with these soft baseballs that don't go very far. You have to run until you get out. Single is one point; double is two points; etc. Every base is a force out. If you hit it out, it's four points but an out. An inside-the-parker is the most optimal outcome (aside from all the running you do), because it's four points with no outs. It's usually 2 on 2.

... I may or may not have just played last Sunday, actually. At 38 years old.

When we didn’t have enough, we played a game where we had a pitcher and planted two kids on the left side of the infield, and 2 on the left side of the outfield. A batter stayed in the box and batted until he got 3 outs. A ground ball through the infield was a single. A ball fielded by the infielder was an out. A ball hit down the line was a double. Off the fence was a triple and over the fence a home run. A fly ball caught was an out. There was no running—only batting, ghost runners, pitching and fielding. So essentially we only needed 6 kids. And we kept score. We always swing for the fence. So we were working on launch angles a couple decades before the term was coined.

and if we didn’t have that, we probably played rundown.

Hey, Nutting had a very p1rofitable weekend. Three sold out PNC Park concerts in four days. And beer at $18 a can.
All is well.

Not really. Kids were very creative. You could have a pretty nice game with 5 on a side.
Anything hit to right field was an automatic out. No catcher. The batting team supplied the pitcher and took turns depending on the batting order. See you edited your original post to concede this point.

Remember, there were not video games, no great TV shows in the daytime. Dads worked, moms cooked, kids played.
The bicycle was the mode of transportation, to anywhere. You knew all the shortcuts and how to avoid the hills. The old man had the car at work, no one had 2 cars, and the mom was too busy to run you somewhere. Kids today would feel they were dropped off on another planet to see this.

We played baseball, played "army" or swam. That was it. And it was all fun and safe. It was summer, but by September we were ready to go back to school.

Last edited:
Not really. Kids were very creative. You could have a pretty nice game with 5 on a side.
Anything hit to right field was an automatic out. No catcher. The batting team supplied the pitcher and took turns depending on the batting order. See you edited your original post to concede this point.

Remember, there were not video games, no great TV shows in the daytime. Dads worked, moms cooked, kids played.
The bicycle was the mode of transportation, to anywhere. You knew all the shortcuts and how to avoid the hills.

We played baseball, played "army" or swam. That was it. And it was all fun and safe. It was summer, but by September we were ready to go back to school.
got it freeport, i take back my "it never happened" stance. i stand corrected.

• Haha
When we didn’t have enough, we played a game where we had a pitcher and planted two kids on the left side of the infield, and 2 on the left side of the outfield. A batter stayed in the box and batted until he got 3 outs. A ground ball through the infield was a single. A ball fielded by the infielder was an out. A ball hit down the line was a double. Off the fence was a triple and over the fence a home run. A fly ball caught was an out. There was no running—only batting, ghost runners, pitching and fielding. So essentially we only needed 6 kids. And we kept score. We always swing for the fence. So we were working on launch angles a couple decades before the term was coined.

so it was you and your friends that invented the Shift. Thanks alot for ruining MLB for all of us..

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
no one played pick up baseball games, it didnt happen. Sorry boomers, your stories of you and your 10 buddies meeting at the sand lot and taking on 11 other kids in a pick up baseball game NEVER HAPPENED.

yeah, you played wiffle ball, as all kids did and kids do to this day and maybe you and two other kids got a ball and a bat and hit a few balls for 15 minutes but that's it. This idea that there were pick up baseball games back in the days is pure fabrication. Stop with this "we played pickup baseball in our neighborhood" nonsense. no one believes you.

the reason you dont see pick up games in other sports is because parents now dont let their kids out of the yards without supervision. If your 9 year old kid has to ask you to leave the yard, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM, not the kids. the same parents that talk about how they played pick up games as kids are now parents who are putting on helmets and knee pads on their 11 year old kids before they allow them to ride a bike..

These are the parents that are on the playgrounds, following their kids around and are on the jungle gyms as 35 year olds when they should get their tired fat ass off of it and let the kids play with other kids.
I played pickup baseball games all the time in the late 50s and 60s. Regardless of how many kids we had. And I am a boomer so I am proof that you are dead wrong.

Similar to youth sucker, I mean, soccer 😄 I think it is just more that parents force their kids into playing organized sports, whether because they are stage dads (moms), or frustrated that their own sports careers never happened, or merely just so they are not playing endless video games at home and tearing the house apart.

My street has one of those little league baseball fields that I have to pass every time I go in and out of the neighborhood, I see those youth league games, and it is pretty typical, the kids look bored out of their skulls while the parents in the bleachers are either using it to socialize with each other and not paying any attention, or the flip side you have two or three helicopter parents screaming and b*tching at the 16 year old umpire as if they are Billy Martin abusing Shag Crawford.

What I don’t see at ALL are kids playing pick up games (of any sport) on their own, as we did as kids. That was way more fun than Little league or Pee Wee Football (the latter name now evoking a whole new perspective after learning of the Sandusky/Paterno scandal).
I hate to have to agree with this but I'm aware a few different families that have forced their kid to play a sport they didn't want to. One went so far as to ground their kid for missing the sign-up for basketball and made the kid do chores for two hours after school every day during what would have been basketball practice. Another makes their kid play because the mom's friends all have kids who play. There is one couple that I can think of right now that is on the verge of divorce because the kids want to play one sport and the father is committed to forcing the kids to play something else that runs at the same time because that was the sport he played in. It's pretty gross to watch and I really feel for these kids.

Kids will grow up resenting you. Trust me on that. I see each in each of these cases. Each kid has become deceptive and you can feel the tension. It's just not worth it.

I played pickup baseball games all the time in the late 50s and 60s. Regardless of how many kids we had. And I am a boomer so I am proof that you are dead wrong.
Next thing he'll claim we never had pick up touch football games on the Cathedral lawn. He wouldn't know though because he went to WVU! LOL

The worst part is, mega prospect Oneil Cruz can't catch a pop-up, so when they move him to corner outfield, he'll be even worse than Cole Tucker. Both hit under .200 (completely unacceptable for corner outfield), but at least Cole Tucker could catch a ball.
O'Neill Cruz = Gregory Polanco without a fun nickname like El Coffee.

• Sad
I know this isn't true, because baseball bats hadn't even been invented by the 1850's.
LOL, that's a whole other story.
All the bats were wood. And inevitably they would crack/break. If it was a split, you'd pound a small finishing nail through it, then wrap it with the fabric style electrical tape to keep using it. It never had the same "pop", but at least when you hit the ball with it, it didn't feel like you were holding a fist full of angry bees!

Even at .195, he still has a positive WAR. If that doesn't make you question that stat...
I guess he is better than only batting 8 and taking an out for his spot in the line up. But not much. Maybe that is what the stat is measuring.

I don't believe he is a top prospect in baseball. I believe he has top level specific skills, like his speed, arm strength and exit velo (when he actually makes solid contact). But there is so much more to being a top prospect than some world class individual skills. I fear he may just be a guy who can run and throw fast and hit the ball hard, but isn't a baseball player.

I guess he is better than only batting 8 and taking an out for his spot in the line up. But not much. Maybe that is what the stat is measuring.

I don't believe he is a top prospect in baseball. I believe he has top level specific skills, like his speed, arm strength and exit velo (when he actually makes solid contact). But there is so much more to being a top prospect than some world class individual skills. I fear he may just be a guy who can run and throw fast and hit the ball hard, but isn't a baseball player.

I think it measures how many more wins you're worth than the league average at your position. But he's not great defensively, and his none of his offensive stats seem particularly noteworthy, so I don't really get it.

.195 Batting Average
.242 OBP
.397 Slugging
.638 OPS

Maybe shortstops just suck nowadays. No idea, because I stopped watching baseball for the most part.

Anyway, I hate to suggest any of this matters but they're letting the dude wear this silly red and yellow protective gear (I know... that shouldn't make a difference) and play shortstop at 6'7"... you just wonder who is calling the shots.

We played wiffle ball every day from 9am til dark, with breaks for lunch and dinner in our culdesac(we called it the circle). Ages ranged from 8-18. Pitcher's hand was like first base. Older kids batted opposite of their strength. On the roof was a homer. Right field was a short porch. There was virtually no left field line. Left center was as far as the field went. We could play minimum of three on three with a steady pitcher. It was glorious!! We played wrigly ball with a solid ball sometimes. Neighbors didn't love us.

Fielding wiffle balls with bare hands really reinforced using the proper technique to field grounders.

Also, games formally known as smear the queer and Indian bal. Great times.

we played this game where a guy with a ball stood on top of a hill at an angle and there was a catcher at the bottom behind the plate and the runner would run full speed and go down the hill into the plate when the guy throwing it as soon as he came over crest of the hill.

Basically just making "plays at the plate" collisions, over and over. It was great when it just rained, it sucked to be the catcher. That and run down were timeless classics.

look at me talkin about baseball in my youth, maybe i am one of those guys i just mocked.. you bring up my point about pickup baseball games, it's just hard to imagine it happened. if freeport and FK said it happened, then why would they lie. Just cant imagine being able to pull this off consistently with how hard it would be..

3 on 3 wiffle ball, we all did it. a 2 on 2 game of hoops or shooting hoops/playing horse ok. Street hockey with a plastic ball and getting the one kid in the neighborhood who's dad bought him goalie pads to play, not as hard as a 9 on 9 baseball game.
Those games were all more challenging and fun than playing actual boring organized baseball. Other than the pitcher, catcher and first baseman, nobody got much action. In earlier years the outfielders got none at all. And with 9 batters and 7 innings, it maybe it was 6, but it was abbreviated…you might get to bat as few as 3 times a game, especially if the opposing team has its manager’s overage son pitching and blasting all of us 4th graders away with his 8th grade fastballs. Flip side if you played a really bad team with a weak pitcher, you couldn’t even run it up due to the mercy rule.

Those games were all more challenging and fun than playing actual boring organized baseball. Other than the pitcher, catcher and first baseman, nobody got much action. In earlier years the outfielders got none at all. And with 9 batters and 7 innings, it maybe it was 6, but it was abbreviated…you might get to bat as few as 3 times a game, especially if the opposing team has its manager’s overage son pitching and blasting all of us 4th graders away with his 8th grade fastballs. Flip side if you played a really bad team with a weak pitcher, you couldn’t even run it up due to the mercy rule.
The only mercy rule we had was darkness. The game went on regardless until it was too dark to see!

The Pirates development model has been horribly flawed for about 30 years. Yeah, there was the success of the early 2010s, but even that regime couldn’t mess up a talent like McCutchen. Even Neil Walker was largely dismissed by Frank Coonelly and Neal Huntington until he played so well that he forced their hand. Payroll at the MLB level is a huge indicator (of course) but the Pirates also don’t spend in the areas of scouting and player development. They only brag about how much they spend on 16 and 17-year old Latin Americans, which is the ultimate crap shoot.

Didn’t need 18 guys. Opposite field out, ghost runners, pitchers rubber is first base. Seemed like I was the only kid that batted left, they hated having to shift. Oh, no catcher either; you learned to hit pretty much anything, or you fetched the ball at the backstop. Where there was a will, there was a way. And yeah, I’m a dreaded boomer.

Didn’t need 18 guys. Opposite field out, ghost runners, pitchers rubber is first base. Seemed like I was the only kid that batted left, they hated having to shift. Oh, no catcher either; you learned to hit pretty much anything, or you fetched the ball at the backstop. Where there was a will, there was a way. And yeah, I’m a dreaded boomer.
In my town we did the same but we used the term “invisible man”. That always sounded kind of wussy. I only learned about the term “ghost runner” once I moved to big, bad Pittsburgh for college and spent time BSing among guys from several different places, sort of like this thread. “Ghost Runner” was a much cooler term.

We’d try to play in a yard that had a big tree strategically placed that could act sort of like a backstop. But yeah there was still a lot of chasing down wayward pitches and foul balls. Luckily (?) our dumpy town was starting to turn “forlorn” due to the collapsing steel industry, and there were a good number of vacant homes from those who had fled the region, with sizable yards and requisite trees placed strategically and no occupants who would chase as out.

Reactions: Dan1911 and LVram81
Forgot about opposite field out and some of the best arguments were over the status of a ghost runner.

In my town we did the same but we used the term “invisible man”. That always sounded kind of wussy. I only learned about the term “ghost runner” once I moved to big, bad Pittsburgh for college and spent time BSing among guys from several different places, sort of like this thread. “Ghost Runner” was a much cooler term.

We’d try to play in a yard that had a big tree strategically placed that could act sort of like a backstop. But yeah there was still a lot of chasing down wayward pitches and foul balls. Luckily (?) our dumpy town was starting to turn “forlorn” due to the collapsing steel industry, and there were a good number of vacant homes from those who had fled the region, with sizable yards and requisite trees placed strategically and no occupants who would chase as out.
Don’t feel bad, sometimes called invisible man in my little town too! We were lucky enough to have a ball field to play on. The road to the field was dirt, and the township would spray it with used motor oil a couple of times a summer to keep the dust down😳. Sorry, not sorry, those were the good old days.

Forgot about opposite field out and some of the best arguments were over the status of a ghost runner.
ghost runner moved up as many bases as the batter hit, right? A single, the base runner moves up one bag, double he moves up 2?

I feel like this is the standard. you always seemed to have the one kid who would argue that the ghost runner on second should score on a single but that kid usually gets vetoed out.

Now we played wiffle ball and always played "pitchers hand" cause we only had 3 guys per team. I've encountered many people that never heard of this. Meaning instead of throwing it to first base on a grounder, you throw it back to the pitcher and if he catches it before the runner tags first, he's out. Did anyone else play this?

Alright boys, i am going to do what i usually never do. Apologize for calling you out on your childhood pick up baseball games. many on here are saying they did indeed grow up like this and i wave my towel, admit that i was 100% wrong and tip my cap to y'all.

I recant, if that's a word, my earlier post. i admit im a horse's ass (in this instance)..

ghost runner moved up as many bases as the batter hit, right? A single, the base runner moves up one bag, double he moves up 2?

I feel like this is the standard. you always seemed to have the one kid who would argue that the ghost runner on second should score on a single but that kid usually gets vetoed out.

Now we played wiffle ball and always played "pitchers hand" cause we only had 3 guys per team. I've encountered many people that never heard of this. Meaning instead of throwing it to first base on a grounder, you throw it back to the pitcher and if he catches it before the runner tags first, he's out. Did anyone else play this?
Right! And yeah, pitchers mound as first base usually made up for the fact that you only had one infielder. One outfielder too.

So I turned on the game last night....5-0 and saw a guy up to bat for the Pirates that I literally never, ever heard of. So he obviously wasn't a prospect getting promoted from Indy or Altoona. What, did he was the "1B for a Day" contest?
Oh, that was the next Yu Chang/Tsutsugo/John Nogowski; the latest example of the Pirates dusting off some other team's DFA and plugging him into the lineup.

All of the above were cornerstone rules of our neighborhood games

That's how we did it. Fortunately we had a sewer in the middle of the circle the pitcher had to be standing on to record the out.

me and my little man have a HR derby (Wiffle ball) in our cul de sac every night. First one to 5. i have 3 different balls though, the old school white ones with the oval holes, these newer yellow ones called blitzballs and we got this one "money ball" which is just a harder bouncy ball that goes a mile..

So we have different distances for the balls and my HRs have to be further. So he needed one to tie last night and last pitch, crushes it but it hits a power wire and drops short. I tell him it's an out and game over. He was so pissed. now he wants to have a sit down and re-address the rules. A sit down between me and him lol.

In hindsight, i could have played it like Golf and given him a re-try since it was a man made object.

Reactions: pittdan77

Yes, I recall playing by that rule.

ADVERTISEMENT