ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How is this watchable

kma0043

Junior
Nov 30, 2014
I’ve had the Sunday night NFL game on the past hour and it’s been literally 2/3 commercials. It just sucks. NFL think tank should identify over saturation of commercials as a major issue in drop of viewers, but those ads=money, so who cares anyways.

I actually think this is a pretty good game to watch. Not many penalties and both teams look well coached.....and the game is on track to be a 3 hour game, unlike college which is not a 4 hour game.

I’ve had the Sunday night NFL game on the past hour and it’s been literally 2/3 commercials. It just sucks. NFL think tank should identify over saturation of commercials as a major issue in drop of viewers, but those ads=money, so who cares anyways.
I DVR every game, and start about a half hour late, to FF past pregame crap like the anthem, commercials and reviews, makes the game more watchable.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

It's on a commercial as I type this. Haha.

It's the one thing I believe i remember about soccer (been a lot of years since I tried to endure a game, or match, or tourney, or googily, or whatever they call it). In the ones i tried to watch, since the clock never stops, they kept the 'action' on the screen, and ran ads in split screen or in a ticker or such. That part was cool. I think was the world cup, the last time the US men made it? Maybe they cut away for commercials in most other lesser matches though?

It's the one thing I believe i remember about soccer (been a lot of years since I tried to endure a game, or match, or tourney, or googily, or whatever they call it). In the ones i tried to watch, since the clock never stops, they kept the 'action' on the screen, and ran ads in split screen or in a ticker or such. That part was cool. I think was the world cup, the last time the US men made it? Maybe they cut away for commercials in most other lesser matches though?

No commercials ever during soccer games. Only at halftime.

I watched golf today and Tiger's last 9 holes there were no commercials.

Yesterday I watched soccer and NFL Redzone, because watching an actual NFL game that doesn't include the Steelers is way to boring.

I agree with Pitt79 - DVR and watch on delay is the only way to go. I usually start the game, hit pause and let an hour record. Then it takes me about 30 minutes to watch that. I hit pause again, go do something around the house, then go catch up on another hour of the game, repeat til game over.

Agree. Most anything is unwatchable due to commercials. Problem is the product being showcased is diluted or performed by actors or athletes who haven't paid their dues while expecting absurd amounts of money.

Don't watch the NFL anymore.
Mrs Buffett and I will watch a Steelers game if its on a major channel..
We used to watch the 1pm, 4 pm, late Sunday, Monday night and sometimes the Thursday games.
Now none except the Steelers and I guess we'll see about that if Tomlin can't get a hold on this team.
We cancelled Sunday Ticket on Direct TV, and stopped purchasing NFL merchandise like millions of others.
Maybe they'll get the message?

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: paulbl99
No commercials ever during soccer games. Only at halftime.

I watched golf today and Tiger's last 9 holes there were no commercials.
yep, but commercials are more exciting than soccer so there is that...love the Dr. Pepper one where the ashamed parents catch the kid experimenting with soccer by catching him with a magazine...

Steeler and pitt games, I’m forced to DVR and start an hour later, so I can FF the commercials and instant replays.

Watching football on tv, real time, will drive a person insane.

I agree with Pitt79 - DVR and watch on delay is the only way to go. I usually start the game, hit pause and let an hour record. Then it takes me about 30 minutes to watch that. I hit pause again, go do something around the house, then go catch up on another hour of the game, repeat til game over.
I usually go away for a half hour at halftime too. The game has become so damn boring. I don't understand how they don't see that there are way too many penalties and way too many reviews? They could get rid of a lot of it easily, like go CFL motion rules, and no formation penalties other than having 5 O lineman that would cut out maybe 5-6 penalties per game, then have no automatic reviews and just one challenge per game. Do they honestly not get that constant stoppages ruin the experience? And also don't call penalties away from the play, like a hold or PI on the other side of the field that have no effect on the play, just try to eliminate stoppages and make the refs invisible.

That's my Mo also. Have all the games I want to watch set the DVR, mow the grass do some yard work, go out and take care of some things with the family Maybe. Then power through all the commercials when I do watch it.

Reactions: Pitt79
yep, but commercials are more exciting than soccer so there is that...love the Dr. Pepper one where the ashamed parents catch the kid experimenting with soccer by catching him with a magazine...

World Cup is very exciting

Reactions: H2P 2003
Exactly. Mostly all NFL games are 3 hours long.

You can watch the RED ZONE channel and most games are within a game minute or two of each other deep in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

NCAA games are all over the place. Our game vs PSU took an extremely long time to get to the half. As opposed to the (12:20pm) NC kickoff Saturday which got to the half before or at the same time as the 12:00pm kickoffs.

OP, Don’t act like this is an NFL issue.

The game will finish in under 3 hours.

If it wasnt for ffl, i wouldnt give two craps about the nfl.

touche, absolutely cannot sleep trying to come down from those two hours of a 1-Nil Columbia vs Slovenia barn burner...

you should have watched the last World Cup it was very exciting. There was plenty of action even if there wasn't much scoring. World Cup soccer is the only soccer I can watch however.

touche, absolutely cannot sleep trying to come down from those two hours of a 1-Nil Columbia vs Slovenia barn burner...
I went to a girls HS soccer game last Friday, finished NIL-NIL was the best sporting event I've seen this year, constant excitement and constant action, no flags or reviews. Excitement has nothing to do with scoring.

I went to a girls HS soccer game last Friday, finished NIL-NIL was the best sporting event I've seen this year, constant excitement and constant action, no flags or reviews. Excitement has nothing to do with scoring.
yes, I am sure it was quite enthralling..

Reactions: Pitt79
yes, I am sure it was quite enthralling..
It really was, you had to be there, goaltenders where on fire, diving saves, both sides, headers off the bar, other close calls off the goal post, referee controversy, 0-0, double OT. The fans where seriously into it, at least a few hundred there. Certainly way more enthralling than Pitt's crappy game on Saturday-maybe even more fans. And everyone complains about yellow seats.

We used to watch the 1pm, 4 pm, late Sunday, Monday night and sometimes the Thursday games.
Now none except the Steelers and I guess we'll see about that if Tomlin can't get a hold on this team.
We cancelled Sunday Ticket on Direct TV, and stopped purchasing NFL merchandise like millions of others.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

You and the mrs. are one person, maybe two, certainly not millions. How much NFL merchandise does the average 70 year old purchase?

It really was, you had to be there, goaltenders where on fire, diving saves, both sides, headers off the bar, other close calls off the goal post, referee controversy, 0-0, double OT. The fans where seriously into it, at least a few hundred there. Certainly way more enthralling than Pitt's crappy game on Saturday-maybe even more fans. And everyone complains about yellow seats.
pretty sure as lousy as Pitt's game was the two great catches by the Panther receivers beat out little girls running around for two hours on the excitement meter...Now, as your reputation precedes you as these Aqualungian types of things is your bag, not mine....

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
What messsge is that?

Seems the nhl and nascar have been given the same message regarding ratings.

And I do think that eventually football will go away, It already sucks. Too micromanaged, and if they keep making more "safety" rules it will be unwatchable, penalties every other play already. It's not a sport anymore, it's more like a law review.

Sky Sports UK (if you can get it) is the best way to watch an NFL game. They don't show commercials - they have in studio analysis with some British guy and Rob Ryan (Or maybe Rex Ryan) during what would otherwise be a commercial break here in the States.

They also show highlights of other games.

The NFL would make some good coin if they offered an online streaming package that cut out commercials for something like this.

I particularly enjoyed all the repeated commercials during MNF last night for the upcoming Ohio State and Penn State game.

I certainly respect its a high profile game. But given each school has what, 50 billion alumni between em, all of em caring more of football than anything else ... thus have this game time tattooed on their kid's foreheads ... did they really need to advertise it that much? You'd think Disney could have sold other ads.

I particularly enjoyed all the repeated commercials during MNF last night for the upcoming Ohio State and Penn State game.

I certainly respect its a high profile game. But given each school has what, 50 billion alumni between em, all of em caring more of football than anything else ... thus have this game time tattooed on their kid's foreheads ... did they really need to advertise it that much? You'd think Disney could have sold other ads.
How about the commercial free halftime? No commercials during the part of the game nobody cares to see!

Yeah unless you're watching with friends or at a bar, watching football on TV is a way to get your laundry folded or your push-ups in. So...many...breaks. Even when the action is live, the average play is like 4 seconds, so you might as well have something else to do.

Yeah unless you're watching with friends or at a bar, watching football on TV is a way to get your laundry folded or your push-ups in. So...many...breaks. Even when the action is live, the average play is like 4 seconds, so you might as well have something else to do.
I DVR it and start watching at least a half hour late, and then when halftime comes, I go away for a half hour too, so that I can FF past all the CRAP, especially the reviews! I hate instant replay, it ruins my experience, I'd rather they get a few wrong.

Either DVR or don't watch. Between the commercials and the announcers, I quit watching live games. If they win, I FF though and if they lose, I erase. I don't even know what to say about football anymore. The last NC touchdown in the Pitt game was everything I hate about football these days. There where literally three holds on that last NC touchdown, I had to rewind to figure out how the runner could have scored, it seemed impossible. But linemen are taught now to hold the jersey inside, and it doesn't get called. You see defenders that can't even get away to make the play. Its not even fun to watch anymore.

There's just too many rules, the refs are the real stars of the show. They decide at least half the plays in the game, there is so much nonsense they could get rid of, literally, you could cut 50% of the rules and nobody would notice, like go CFL motion rules, and other than mandating 5 O-lineman, get rid of formation rules, get rid of substitution rules, allow any kind of shift. Right there you probably eliminate 30 stoppages per game! Don't call offensive or defensive holding or PI if it's irrelevant in the outcome of a great play, like on the other side of the field, there ya go! Another handful of misery gone! Allow only one review challenge per game for each side and no automatic reviews, right there more stoppages go away! Right there is a beginning of a formula to make the game watchable again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT