ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How Many Apps Do You Have In Your Phone?

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
In another thread, someone named four “hot” new social media apps which I never had heard of. Just for the hell of it, I then counted the apps I do have on my phone: 258. Masha has 54.

In my defense, a lot of my apps are about traveling, and I do 100% of our vacation planning and booking. So I have 9 hotel company apps on my phone along with 33 airline apps (and we have flown on every one of those airlines). There is no easier way to book flights and store boarding passes. I also have Kayak, which is the best app for finding flight information and costs, for example, for all airlines flying from Barcelona to The Maldives Islands or anywhere else in the world.

I also have all of the large Travel booking apps like Hotel.Com, Expedia, Agoda, etc. Along with apps like SeatGuru, which shows seat arrangements for most airline flights in the world and, where appropriate, the best and worst seats; 2 apps to book train tickets in Europe; one to book ferry trips in Greece; 5 currency conversion apps; 5 travel GPS apps; Lounge Buddy, which reviews airport lounges; one app which has maps for navigating large airports like De Gaulle, JFK and Schipol, which I would be lost without; Trip Advisor; 3 apps for booking tours while on vacation; 2 translation apps; and 9 different apps just for Barcelona, which is like our second home and our travel base in Europe.

So, that is like more than 80 travel apps, every one of which I have used at least once.

I have 42 news and entertainment apps, including an app which allows me to use my phone as a remote control and apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Go which sometimes allow me to watch shows on my iPad while traveling.

I had 5 different apps to edit photos taken on my iPhone but I am going to delete 3 which I no longer use. I only use SnapSeed for editing and PicLab for arranging photos in albums, etc.

The only social media apps I have are Facebook, Twitter, Periscope and Instagram. I have Messenger, What’sApp, Skype and Zoom for WiFi communication. What’sApp is pretty much essential when traveling in countries like Mexico, Thailand and Bali. If you want to make a restaurant reservation in Bali or Puerto Vallarta, you can either call from the hotel or on your phone and pay a high fee or call for free on What’s App. We had a private driver in Bali ($30 a day which is far less than taxis) and he didn’t answer his phone because of the charges. He only had What’sApp on his business card.

13 apps are recent and pandemic-related: food deliveries and grocery store deliveries. 12 are shopping apps like Amazon, REI and EBay. Three are book reading apps I use on my iPad when traveling, including Kindle. Three are music apps, also mainly used when traveling. A dozen are utility apps, like a flashlight, speed test for WiFi, alarm clock, battery checker, etc.

If I were to delete those I almost never use, I could probably reduce the number by 100. But why? I might want to fly on Swiss Air again someday or buy something from Best Buy.

How many do you have? Which do you consider essential?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.