ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Huge Pittsburgh soccer news

I wonder if the Riverhounds will have their logo on the front twice, so they can show everyone they are the soccer boss?

I wouldn't call this huge. This is mainly a facility to cash in on the "pay for play" market. They've been trying to get this facility for 20 years. Huge news would be an MLS or NWSL team. I still think the Rooneys or maybe someone like Mark Cuban should explore an MLS franchise.

I wouldn't call this huge. This is mainly a facility to cash in on the "pay for play" market. They've been trying to get this facility for 20 years. Huge news would be an MLS or NWSL team. I still think the Rooneys or maybe someone like Mark Cuban should explore an MLS franchise.

The MLS would probably laugh at them if they did. The Riverhounds averaged 2,400 last year and are at about 3,200 this year. Exhibition games held at Heinz Field over the years haven't exactly been hot tickets either.

That ain’t happening. So this news is as good as it can get here and could have positive effects in the local pool of talent coming out of western PA that can move on to the next level. That said, I’m hearing there are road blocks that have not been cleared and the press release was premature.

That ain’t happening.

Yeah, clearly MLS is a SMF pipe dream. And as far as the NWSL goes, where would a team in that league even play? They'd certainly want a place bigger than Highmark, because you can't make money playing to crowds that small. But they also wouldn't want to play at one of the bigger high school fields, because high school field screams "small time". And obviously Heinz is waaaaaaaaaaaay too big.

Yeah, clearly MLS is a SMF pipe dream. And as far as the NWSL goes, where would a team in that league even play? They'd certainly want a place bigger than Highmark, because you can't make money playing to crowds that small. But they also wouldn't want to play at one of the bigger high school fields, because high school field screams "small time". And obviously Heinz is waaaaaaaaaaaay too big.

A joint Pitt football/NWSL stadium?

A reply to the other poster: of course the Riverhounds would never be invited to MLS. But if a big-time investor like Rooney, Cuban, Tepper, etc came up with a stadium plan for a new Pittsburgh MLS franchise, the MLS would at least consider it. The league is growing to 30 teams and I've said before I think they get to 40. MLS needs as many local markets as possible.

A joint Pitt football/NWSL stadium?

A reply to the other poster: of course the Riverhounds would never be invited to MLS. But if a big-time investor like Rooney, Cuban, Tepper, etc came up with a stadium plan for a new Pittsburgh MLS franchise, the MLS would at least consider it. The league is growing to 30 teams and I've said before I think they get to 40. MLS needs as many local markets as possible.
NWSL teams wouldn't fill 10% of a stadium with 40-50k seats. I'd rather go see USL than women's soccer. I went to an NWSL game Washington's team, play in a nice 5000 seat stadium like 40 miles out of town and it wasn't even full. I love the USWNT, but if you're talking club soccer, I'd rather see men all the way, whether it's EPL, MLS or even USL, rather than the best women players in the world. Would you go to NWSL over USL?

Baltimore is trying to get a USL team, I'm actually hoping they do, if so, I am planning to go to a lot of games. I'm not a season ticket ttype guy, I don't like the oversized commitment, that's what makes minor league sports attractive to me, they don't sell out, you can decide an hour before game time to go, no need to get tickets weeks in advance. I just want a live team nearby. I've been to the NWSL game, once was enough, it's like an hour drive and it wasn't that exciting, at the time Washington had Ally Kreiger and Krystal Dunn. As long as the USL team is like a half hour or less drive, I'll go periodically, I care about convenience more than quality. I've been a Baltimore Blast (indoor soccer) fan for years, and clearly, the players suck so bad that they aren't good enough to play real soccer, a lot are USL washouts, but it's still entertaining and fun, and that's all that matters TO ME.

If there were a Pittsburgh NWSL team I'd go see them play. There is a Pittsburgh USL team and I haven't seen them play in many years.

I actually think a NWSL team would draw better than the Riverhounds. Everyone knows the Riverhounds are minor league. But if Pgh had an NWSL team with a few USWNT players, I think they could draw 5K per game and have some crowds as large as 10K.

I actually think a NWSL team would draw better than the Riverhounds. Everyone knows the Riverhounds are minor league. But if Pgh had an NWSL team with a few USWNT players, I think they could draw 5K per game and have some crowds as large as 10K.
I guess the way I look at it, might be misogynist, but I see a women's league as minor league to the USL.

Yea, I mean they would be way worse than the Riverhounds but for some reason, I'd be more interested in the NWSL than the USL
I've been to an NWSL game, it's not bad, but even though it's the women's major league, it's decidedly a minor league operation, even compared to USL from what I've seen, but Ally Kreiger and Krystal Dunn where playing, so I did see a couple USWNT stars. I guess the Portland Thorns are the flagship, closest to a major league operation, Washington plays in a 4000 seat stadium in Germantown, MD, a place called the Soccerplex, its a complex with 2 small stadiums, surrounded by 30 other soccer fields, my daughter played there a couple times in club tournaments, it's surrounded by townhouse communities, if I lived there, walking distance from it, I'd probably go all the time. But it's very minor league in reality.

I guess the way I look at it, might be misogynist, but I see a women's league as minor league to the USL.
Yeah. You are just a bit. USL is so far down the rung of competitive soccer, it’s essentially glorified pick up.
An NPSL team would have some of the best players in the world.

10K would be a lot. But that would be fantastic if they did. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Riverhounds kick the idea around. Highmark would be the best place for them. The problem is that 3/4 of the Pittsburgh soccer community don’t like the riverhounds for political reasons.

Yeah. You are just a bit. USL is so far down the rung of competitive soccer, it’s essentially glorified pick up.

USL has gotten a lot better. It's still minor league but it's much better than it was say, 10 years ago. Some of these clubs are drawing 10K-20K per game which allows them to sign decent players. Heck, even Didier Drogba finished his career with the Phoenix team.

USL has gotten a lot better. It's still minor league but it's much better than it was say, 10 years ago. Some of these clubs are drawing 10K-20K per game which allows them to sign decent players. Heck, even Didier Drogba finished his career with the Phoenix team.
That’s true. My daughters boyfriend is a college player and playing this summer in the USL-2 semifinal this weekend. So he’s on one of the top 4 teams nationwide. I haven’t watched one second of his season. I realize that’s a step below USL, but not really that far away from teams like the Riverhounds, especially when you also consider the stadiums they play in. Didier Drogba is one of my two favorite players of all time...and I could not bring myself to watch him playing for his Phoenix team. Heck, I couldn’t even watch him playing for Montreal in the MLS.

But there is a pathway domestically that didn’t exist at this level ten years ago. I was talking to a coach the other night, who came over here from New Castle in England to play in the NASL. When that league folded there was nowhere here to go. He wishes that there was the hierarchy that exists today.

And from what I've seen, it's decidedly a minor league operation, like I've said times, seeing "the best" doesn't matter to me at all.

That’s true. My daughters boyfriend is a college player and playing this summer in the USL-2 semifinal this weekend. So he’s on one of the top 4 teams nationwide. I haven’t watched one second of his season. I realize that’s a step below USL, but not really that far away from teams like the Riverhounds, especially when you also consider the stadiums they play in. Didier Drogba is one of my two favorite players of all time...and I could not bring myself to watch him playing for his Phoenix team. Heck, I couldn’t even watch him playing for Montreal in the MLS.

But there is a pathway domestically that didn’t exist at this level ten years ago. I was talking to a coach the other night, who came over here from New Castle in England to play in the NASL. When that league folded there was nowhere here to go. He wishes that there was the hierarchy that exists today.
Jeez, If my daughter had a boyfriend on a USL2 team, I'd watch every game, I sometimes go to NPSL games, I go to a lot of Baltimore Blast games and watch them online, it's just me, but I enjoy minor leagues, lack of quality doesn't matter, well after all probably 75% of the games I've watched over the last 10 years where always girls between age 8-18, so maybe I'm immune to the need for quality. Baltimore is supposed to get a USL team soon, I'm dying for it to happen, I will buy a jersey the first day and go to most of the games.

Jeez, If my daughter had a boyfriend on a USL2 team, I'd watch every game, I sometimes go to NPSL games, I go to a lot of Baltimore Blast games and watch them online, it's just me, but I enjoy minor leagues, lack of quality doesn't matter, well after all probably 75% of the games I've watched over the last 10 years where always girls between age 8-18, so maybe I'm immune to the need for quality. Baltimore is supposed to get a USL team soon, I'm dying for it to happen, I will buy a jersey the first day and go to most of the games.
It’s too hard for me to watch games online that are being played in HS stadiums. They are playing Georgia this weekend. My wife wanted to go in person. I didn’t. Lol. I told her she was free to go without me but she couldn’t swing it. If they win and go to the final, I’ll probably go depending on where it is.

It would be cool if there were 1000’s more like you that enjoy USL soccer. I’m just not there yet.

It’s too hard for me to watch games online that are being played in HS stadiums. They are playing Georgia this weekend. My wife wanted to go in person. I didn’t. Lol. I told her she was free to go without me but she couldn’t swing it. If they win and go to the final, I’ll probably go depending on where it is.

It would be cool if there were 1000’s more like you that enjoy USL soccer. I’m just not there yet.
I probably wouldn't watch that either necessarily, I mean that USL2, but if it was really close to my house, I would go sometimes, and if I was close with one of the players I definitely would want to see him/her play. Like I'm planning to go to every Howard Community College home game this year, and some away games, but only because my daughter is on the team, I passed on going to the Pitt/UVA opener because I'd rather go to her game, she won't be playing forever :) Pitt will.

PS... HCC Stadium is smaller than her high school's stadium :)

USL is going to have 3 tiers soon and potentially promotion/relegation within it but I still think MLS should reserve a few spots each year for USL teams to be promoted and relegated into and out of MLS. Call it modified pro/rel if you want because MLS teams would be exempt for relegation but if the Riverhounds had a hypothetical chance of reaching MLS by winning or finishing 2nd or 3rd in USL, I'd become a real fan of theirs.

Reactions: jctrack
USL is going to have 3 tiers soon and potentially promotion/relegation within it but I still think MLS should reserve a few spots each year for USL teams to be promoted and relegated into and out of MLS. Call it modified pro/rel if you want because MLS teams would be exempt for relegation but if the Riverhounds had a hypothetical chance of reaching MLS by winning or finishing 2nd or 3rd in USL, I'd become a real fan of theirs.

Once again, the people who paid $100 million (and in some cases a lot more than that) to buy an MLS franchise are not going to allow teams that play in high school stadiums into their league just because they beat a bunch of other teams that play in high school stadiums.

Once again, the people who paid $100 million (and in some cases a lot more than that) to buy an MLS franchise are not going to allow teams that play in high school stadiums into their league just because they beat a bunch of other teams that play in high school stadiums.

Very few, if any teams from the top USL tier play in HS stadiums. And a simple solution would be to make a rule where if a USL team was promoted, to force them to play their home games or at least a portion of them in some nearby pro/college football stadium.

This would be so great for American soccer but no one is smart enough to think of modified promotion/relegation.

Very few, if any teams from the top USL tier play in HS stadiums.

There are 14 USL Championship teams that play at fields that seat 6,200 or less. They may not be actual high school fields, for instance Highmark technically is not a high school field, but they are, for all intents and purposes, high school fields. Because, like Highmark, there are actual high school stadiums that are nicer than these fields.

There are 14 USL Championship teams that play at fields that seat 6,200 or less. They may not be actual high school fields, for instance Highmark technically is not a high school field, but they are, for all intents and purposes, high school fields. Because, like Highmark, there are actual high school stadiums that are nicer than these fields.

You should have said HS sized fields then because I thought you meant actual HS fields where the a guy like Zlatan would be playing on some HS football field with a red endzone with blue letters saying Wildcats. While I can see an MLS club being opposed to that, come on, no MLS club should be opposed to playing 1-2 games per season in a small USL soccer specific stadium.

You should have said HS sized fields then because I thought you meant actual HS fields where the a guy like Zlatan would be playing on some HS football field with a red endzone with blue letters saying Wildcats. While I can see an MLS club being opposed to that, come on, no MLS club should be opposed to playing 1-2 games per season in a small USL soccer specific stadium.

It's pretty clear that you don't think anything like a rich business owner.

Unfortunately for you, rich business owners are the people who own MLS franchises.

It's pretty clear that you don't think anything like a rich business owner.

Unfortunately for you, rich business owners are the people who own MLS franchises.

Do you think a modified promotion/relegation system which would enable non-MLS markets to get a taste of the "big time" would benefit US Soccer at least a little bit?

Do you think a modified promotion/relegation system which would enable non-MLS markets to get a taste of the "big time" would benefit US Soccer at least a little bit?

Not particularly.

I mean surely we aren't going to pretend what makes the English national team good is because it's theoretically possible for Yoevil Town to some day get promoted to the Premier League, or that the German national team is good because it's theoretically possible for Weiche Flensburg to some day get promoted to the Bundesliga, are we?

Not particularly.

I mean surely we aren't going to pretend what makes the English national team good is because it's theoretically possible for Yoevil Town to some day get promoted to the Premier League, or that the German national team is good because it's theoretically possible for Weiche Flensburg to some day get promoted to the Bundesliga, are we?

I think if a city like Pittsburgh or Memphis or Phoenix, etc got to experience a year or 2 in the top flight, that would do nothing but grow the game in those regions. MLS needs as many engaged markets as possible.

I think if a city like Pittsburgh or Memphis or Phoenix, etc got to experience a year or 2 in the top flight, that would do nothing but grow the game in those regions. MLS needs as many engaged markets as possible.

It's great that you think that, but there's no real reason to think it's actually true, other than wishful thinking.

How would your plan work? You win the USL title and get a year in the MLS and then go back to USL no matter what? But they'd be pretty pissed if they finished ahead of the Red Bulls or LAFC then got sent back. LOL

How would your plan work? You win the USL title and get a year in the MLS and then go back to USL no matter what? But they'd be pretty pissed if they finished ahead of the Red Bulls or LAFC then got sent back. LOL

There's many ways you could do it. I would do this:

4 USL teams in MLS at all times. The top 2 stay up and the bottom 2 are relegated. The USL Finalists are promoted. That would make the USL playoffs really interesting. I could tell you if the Riverhounds could win their way to MLS, I'd watch every playoff game

None of which the people who have spent up to $200 million to buy a franchise are going to agree to.
They will because they are not permanent MLS members like they are, it adds interest to the league in non-MLS markets and you have 4 more TV markets to tout.

You are right that it wont happen but only because the guys running MLS arent as smart as me. Maybe Jim Delaney can take over MLS. He got half his ideas from me.

They will because they are not permanent MLS members like they are, it adds interest to the league in non-MLS markets and you have 4 more TV markets to tout.

You are right that it wont happen but only because the guys running MLS arent as smart as me. Maybe Jim Delaney can take over MLS. He got half his ideas from me.
But what if the promoted teams actually become good, actually make the playoffs, or have a good stadium and better attendance than the regular MLS teams, at what point will they get angry about not being permanent, they eventually feel like "The Dreamers" in the immigration debate, doing the right things but still scared of being deported.

ADVERTISEMENT