ADVERTISEMENT

OT Hulu Live TV

PittPharm2002

Heisman Candidate
Dec 21, 2021
So finally cut the cord since I’m the only one who actually watched cable in my house - primarily for sports
Went with Hulu live since it includes Disney + and ESPN+
Have noticed the picture quality isn’t as good for sports

any other experiences with better hd sports services ?

So finally cut the cord since I’m the only one who actually watched cable in my house - primarily for sports

I have YTTV and never noticed a difference between that and Comcast. Maybe your internet signal needs to be stronger.

When ESPN and YTTV had a contract dispute, I went with Sling for a month. Picture quality was the same but the YTTV functionality was far superior.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I got rid of Verizon a few years ago for Hulu. Wound up switching to YouTube TV and like it much better.

I have the basic Hulu to get ESPN plus.

I have YTTV and never noticed a difference between that and Comcast. Maybe your internet signal needs to be stronger.

When ESPN and YTTV had a contract dispute, I went with Sling for a month. Picture quality was the same but the YTTV functionality was far superior.
I have gigabit fios so doubt that’s it
Could be just espn+ sucks for hockey

I have Fubo for live sports and when I first go to a game for about two or three seconds the picture isn't quite as good, but then after that it seems pretty much the same as what I had before.

I have Fubo for live sports and when I first go to a game for about two or three seconds the picture isn't quite as good, but then after that it seems pretty much the same as what I had before.

Same. I use YouTube TV and it can sometimes take a minute or two for the picture to become clear.

I have Hulu and through a VPN it is still pretty good. My beef is that they are getting better at detecting VPNs.
Watching the games on the ESPN app via SkyTV and Chromecast has been poor picture quality. I think that may be my router.

Anyone have high speed wireless internet at home? Wondering how it works with streaming and cutting the cord.

I've had hulu with live TV for about 2 years and I've noticed no difference in picture quality

Are you going through an additional device such as a roku or firestick? In my case I have notice better picture quality via my smart TV than I get with a roku + non smart tv connection.

Reactions: pittdan77
I have DirectTV with HBO, and on our firesticks we have Hulu Live, Amazon, Netflix, Disney+. My wife wants to kill be for the extra costs.

I like being able to channel surf more quickly with direct TV and save recorded shows. I got the Hulu Live so we could use the firesticks outside for our large projection screen to watch football.

I know I need to drop DirectTV I just havent been able to for the last couple of years. I do find myself channel surfing less in my older days so I am getting close.

What I hate and this seems more with those Direct/Dish services and some of the streaming services are the petty contract negotiations where they hold the subscribers hostage and all of a sudden you don't have ESPN/ABC Platform. What?

Come on. I had YTTV along with Comcast when the ACC Network wasn't carried.

My problem with Streaming services is which one? And all of these cable networks and now doubling down with their own streaming services. It is such a mess to get every friggin penny from people.

I applaud people who steal cable/streaming services because these networks/services/cable services deserve it.

Are you going through an additional device such as a roku or firestick? In my case I have notice better picture quality via my smart TV than I get with a roku + non smart tv connection.
It’s direct thru my tcl which has a Roku software platform
I think it’s just espn+ hockey quality sucks

My tv, when watching a game, doesn’t have the greatest picture. I don’t know how to describe it, other than the green field doesn’t have clarity and it’s “pixel-ly” or cloudy/grainy. Not sure if it’s the tv quality(not a high end tv), the tv settings, or due to the wireless signal the TV receives. Anyone?

My tv, when watching a game, doesn’t have the greatest picture. I don’t know how to describe it, other than the green field doesn’t have clarity and it’s “pixel-ly” or cloudy/grainy. Not sure if it’s the tv quality(not a high end tv), the tv settings, or due to the wireless signal the TV receives. Anyone?
sounds like a sticky Fetzer valve to me..you're gonna need a pair of pliers and a set of 30 weight ball bearings..

Are you using an ethernet connection?

Sports on Hulu should look the same as Directv and better than cable.

I have the same experience with Hulu. It's not bad, just noticeable especially when switching back and forth with regular (non-live sports) channels.

It’s wired direct into the router with Ethernet

Directly to your TV or via a device like a Firestick?
Edit- I see above.

It's probably because you are going right to your TV. Some (most) TVs network interface cards will limit your speeds. Using a something like a Firestick 4K and an ethernet adapter fixes that issue.

Running a speed test on your TV will show you if you have a cap on your TV or if it's receiving your maximum speed.

Last edited:
Anyone have high speed wireless internet at home? Wondering how it works with streaming and cutting the cord.

That's what I switched to over the summer. The T-Mobile 5G deal that they advertise on television. The deal I got included one free year of Paramount Plus.

Compared to my old, crappy connection through Verizon it is smokin' fast. But I don't get anywhere near the theoretical maximum speed, I assume in part because of how far away from the tower I am.

It's only me here, so my demand isn't as great as some people's. But I have had a live sporting event on my television and a different one on computer at the same time and my picture quality has been excellent.

So far I am very happy with the service.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
That's what I switched to over the summer. The T-Mobile 5G deal that they advertise on television. The deal I got included one free year of Paramount Plus.

Compared to my old, crappy connection through Verizon it is smokin' fast. But I don't get anywhere near the theoretical maximum speed, I assume in part because of how far away from the tower I am.

It's only me here, so my demand isn't as great as some people's. But I have had a live sporting event on my television and a different one on computer at the same time and my picture quality has been excellent.

So far I am very happy with the service.
Thanks for this. I’ve been wondering about it. The only two I know of is Verizon’s and t-mobile . I’m a Verizon customer for my cell, so I could get the Verizon Internet for $20. Add that to YouTube TV, and I’d have it all for $80. But the tower doesn’t reach my house for whatever reason. I haven’t inquired about T-Mobile. Good to know it works well.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I have DirectTV with HBO, and on our firesticks we have Hulu Live, Amazon, Netflix, Disney+. My wife wants to kill be for the extra costs.

I like being able to channel surf more quickly with direct TV and save recorded shows. I got the Hulu Live so we could use the firesticks outside for our large projection screen to watch football.

I know I need to drop DirectTV I just havent been able to for the last couple of years. I do find myself channel surfing less in my older days so I am getting close.
I got hulu+ the day of the great ESPN blackout on Dish. I just got fed up with the issues with Dish & contracts and not being able to get the Pitt game that night was enough for me. I went through the channels hulu offers and discovered that hulu had all the channels we were watching on Dish, so we really didn't need Dish anymore. I gave it a week to see how different it would be to find the shows we like and found that it really wasn't any different. made the decision to cut the cord then. I couldn't be happier and I'll save 1500 over the course of a year. Only additional cost was getting chromecasts for a couple of older tvs we have.

Directly to your TV or via a device like a Firestick?
Edit- I see above.

It's probably because you are going right to your TV. Some (most) TVs network interface cards will limit your speeds. Using a something like a Firestick 4K and an ethernet adapter fixes that issue.

Running a speed test on your TV will show you if you have a cap on your TV or if it's receiving your maximum speed.
I toyed between the direct from the router and wireless - can’t say I noticed much of a difference
Other shows have been fine
Haven’t caught football live yet -
But maybe my expectations were too high for hockey .
I trialed FuboTV last night and didn’t notice much improvement .
It looks like when I would cast games from my phone

I'm in the same boat. Have been a subscriber for about 10 years now. The only reason is NFL Sunday Ticket. I may actually go back to cable as I can bundle it with my internet and save about $200 per month and basically have all the same channels that I watch today. I'll use the savings to add Paramonut+, AppleTV and upgrade my Peacock to the top level.

Thanks for this. I’ve been wondering about it. The only two I know of is Verizon’s and t-mobile . I’m a Verizon customer for my cell, so I could get the Verizon Internet for $20. Add that to YouTube TV, and I’d have it all for $80. But the tower doesn’t reach my house for whatever reason. I haven’t inquired about T-Mobile. Good to know it works well.
I've had T-mobile since January. $50 a month all in and happy with is so far.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I toyed between the direct from the router and wireless - can’t say I noticed much of a difference
Other shows have been fine
Haven’t caught football live yet -
But maybe my expectations were too high for hockey .
I trialed FuboTV last night and didn’t notice much improvement .
It looks like when I would cast games from my phone
Direct and wireless won't make a difference unless you're really far from your router. It could be the ESPN+ as I've found it to be uninspiring at times. Not all streaming is really what resolution they claim it is.

On a side note, I find the Amazon Prime picture for football just OK. Last week it was good, but last night I had some sporadic pixilation issues. However, the audio is bad over my sound system. Nowhere near what I get from my Directv service.

On a side note, I find the Amazon Prime picture for football just OK. Last week it was good, but last night I had some sporadic pixilation issues. However, the audio is bad over my sound system. Nowhere near what I get from my Directv service.
That would be an internet issue.

It's not an internet issue.
Your issue is that the internet signal is not strong enough to process what is being read. Now that could be that your TV can't process it fast enough, or maybe your router is too far from the TV, or maybe you have too many other devices connected. But if your Amazon NFL game doesn't look almost exactly like cable, you have some type of internet issue.

Your issue is that the internet signal is not strong enough to process what is being read. Now that could be that your TV can't process it fast enough, or maybe your router is too far from the TV, or maybe you have too many other devices connected. But if your Amazon NFL game doesn't look almost exactly like cable, you have some type of internet issue.
I have no internet issues outside of the Amazon NFL game. Nada. Wife and I both work from home. Although, as I mentioned earlier I find ESPN+ sometimes lacks quality. The router is one room over, great signal, and a very good newer TV.

Well a quick google tells me it's a lot of folks. Here's one writeup.

(My anecdotal take: I have 1Gbps fiber internet through AT&T. My living room Apple TV pulls a minimum of 800 Mbps, connected via Ethernet. And it’s seen Thursday Night Football drop to an unwatchable resolution not just during the game itself, but also during commercials. I watched the October 6 game via a Roku TV pulling 100 Mbps, and it never — not once — achieved 60 frames per second.)

Direct and wireless won't make a difference unless you're really far from your router. It could be the ESPN+ as I've found it to be uninspiring at times. Not all streaming is really what resolution they claim it is.

It can make a very big difference especially if you have multiple devices going on the wifi at the same time.

The direct wired does 2 things - improves performance of your streams and it takes the data hogs (TVs) off of your wifi.

Obviously if you have only 1 TV next to the router it's not going to be a big deal.

Yeah I thinks it’s the platform

It can make a very big difference especially if you have multiple devices going on the wifi at the same time.

The direct wired does 2 things - improves performance of your streams and it takes the data hogs (TVs) off of your wifi.

Obviously if you have only 1 TV next to the router it's not going to be a big deal.
I have 802.11ac on my TV (Sony XBR-75X900F) and router. That's over a Gig theoretical, but closer to 200-300Mbps in practice. A 1080p HD stream is under 10Mbps and closer to 5Mbps. You're going to have a problem with your provider link before your in-home wifi in most cases.

The Sony TV is fantastic BTW, bought it almost 3 years ago on a recommendation from someone who does entertainment systems for a living. He switched from recommending Samsung to Sony about 4 years ago. Was hesitant because I'm not a Sony fan, but the TV is great. Eleven year old 55" Samsung is still going strong and in the basement now.

It's not an internet issue.

Edit, let me clarify. Not an issue with my internet. If it's an issue with Internet distribution of the stream, then it's an Amazon streaming issue.
the sound problem might be a Herbstreit issue..

ADVERTISEMENT