ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If Zion Williamson entered the NFL Draft

Ok, I will accommodate you, even though people are going to bash you for discussing this.

He might get drafted in the 6th round by somebody. Normally I’d say that’s silly, but he’s such a good athlete someone might spend a draft pick just to lock him in.

Ok, I will accommodate you, even though people are going to bash you for discussing this.

He might get drafted in the 6th round by somebody. Normally I’d say that’s silly, but he’s such a good athlete someone might spend a draft pick just to lock him in.
I think you’re 4-5 rounds late.

There is precedent for the power forward as NFL TE, and muck lesser athletes than Zion have been drafted in the mid rounds.

Well, I am saying if he announced that he was dedicating himself to football and will never play in the NBA. I'll tell you what, with his size and freakish athleticism, I think you gotta take him in the 3rd. Hes a freak.

I think you’re 4-5 rounds late.

There is precedent for the power forward as NFL TE, and muck lesser athletes than Zion have been drafted in the mid rounds.

I just don’t think teams would take a guy that doesn’t have college football experience in the first few rounds.

Had he accepted the FB scholarship to LSU I think he would’ve eventually ended up as a pass rusher on defense, and probably a 1st round pick.

People struggle who to compare him to athletically, if he was on the football field Julius Peppers would be my comparison.

Reactions: paulbl99
He'd be the best athlete in the draft by a wide margin at a freakish size. 2nd or 3rd round flier for sure.

The guy is 2 inches taller than Gronk and 20 lbs heavier as a 19 year old.

I just don’t think teams would take a guy that doesn’t have college football experience in the first few rounds.

Had he accepted the FB scholarship to LSU I think he would’ve eventually ended up as a pass rusher on defense, and probably a 1st round pick.

People struggle who to compare him to athletically, if he was on the football field Julius Peppers would be my comparison.
Peppers was a beast but nowhere near the athletic freak that Z is. On the other hand Peppers was always a football player first and hooper second.

Antônio Gates is another but again, Gates was not the kind of one in a million athletic talent that Z is.

Last edited:
Peppers was a beast but nowhere near the athletic freak that Z is. On the other hand Peppers wasn’t always a football player first and hooper second.

Antônio Gates is another but again, Gates was not the kind of one in a million athletic talent that Z is.

Anyone remember a fella named Sam Clancy?

I was thinking a 3 or a 4 on him. Athletic freak who is going to have to learn for 2 years.

Has he ever played FB in HS?

Lets say he did and was eligible. What round would he go in?
That’s a good question send it in to Wilbon and maybe he’d put it on “ Pardonthe Interuption.”

Have no personal idea but throw away the caveats....if he’d declare some aging billionaire would take him and take him pretty fast...

Six sounds about right. There’s a lot of NFL caliber football players available and only seven rounds. Sam Clancy was drafted in the next to last round, 11th at the time.

Anyone remember a fella named Sam Clancy?
yep, remember him being drafted in the 11th round (4 rounds later than the last round nowadays ). No way a team wastes a draft pick on a kid that has not played football since he was 10 years old...

Thanks. Retorts from trolls like you redeem my 100%-accurate point: that Pitt should act like Duke, a school that is a thousand percent more respected as a university.

Do yourself a favor-
Google Iron Dukes.
Then compare to the Panther Club.

The difference is in the war chest for coaches and facilities.

They aren’t paying for players because they don’t have to.

Their nba level nutrition, strength and conditioning program , and amenities - along with a legendary coach who nba stars seek out for advice-
Is enough.

Coach k’s office is literally on the top floor of a tower - which you need to take an elevator to access.

Zion is a really good basketball players, but I feel like people overestimate his greatness. I'm not sure he's the best athlete, or best basketball player, on his own team. People talk like he's the next Jordan, Kobe, or Lebron. Not so sure about that.

Dude knows nothing about football and has no position. He'd be a project and nobody is burning a high draft pick on a project who didn't play football. Maybe some interest near the end of 3 with compensatory picks. Likely 4-6 range.

yep, remember him being drafted in the 11th round (4 rounds later than the last round nowadays ). No way a team wastes a draft pick on a kid that has not played football since he was 10 years old...

But he became a pro bowler.

I actually do think some team would take a flyer on Zion.

Do yourself a favor-
Google Iron Dukes.
Then compare to the Panther Club.

The difference is in the war chest for coaches and facilities.

They aren’t paying for players because they don’t have to.

Their nba level nutrition, strength and conditioning program , and amenities - along with a legendary coach who nba stars seek out for advice-
Is enough.

Coach k’s office is literally on the top floor of a tower - which you need to take an elevator to access.
Thanks. Another redemption.

Now log on as one of your other variants and agree with yourself.

I'll continue spreading the inconvenient truth.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
But he became a pro bowler.

I actually do think some team would take a flyer on Zion.
Assuming hype continues through to the final four (where they're certainly headed), it would be a smart move for an NFL team on the fringe like Jacksonville or Arizona. Or one like New England, to continue its aura of being the smartest team in the room.

Gronk’s replacement!

Assuming hype continues through to the final four (where they're certainly headed), it would be a smart move for an NFL team on the fringe like Jacksonville or Arizona. Or one like New England, to continue its aura of being the smartest team in the room.

I should clarify. I don't think he would be drafted at all at the moment because it would be a waste of a pick, because he isn't playing football. But I think he would be drafted if for some strange reason he declared he wasn't playing hoops.

I should clarify. I don't think he would be drafted at all at the moment because it would be a waste of a pick, because he isn't playing football. But I think he would be drafted if for some strange reason he declared he wasn't playing hoops.
I also would clarify, I don't think the hype is high enough yet. But assuming it rises to the "ridiculous" level, some team will certainly consider it seriously. Especially in place of a Day 2 pick near the end oc the draft that usually have as much thought to them as a random number generator.

No round for a guy who's never played football.
He would get an invite for a tryout.
There are lots of football players out there just like Zion.
There aren't a lot of basketball players like Zion thus his success in basketball!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Thanks. Another redemption.

Now log on as one of your other variants and agree with yourself.

I'll continue spreading the inconvenient truth.

Waah! Waah! It’s not fair! It’s not fair!
Other teams only beat us because they cheat and our schedule is too tough..Waah!! Waah!! Give it a rest. How do your answer a thread asking where a basketball player would be drafted in the NFL draft, with whining about the poor victimized Piit football program.

Waah! Waah! It’s not fair! It’s not fair!
Other teams only beat us because they cheat and our schedule is too tough..Waah!! Waah!! Give it a rest. How do your answer a thread asking where a basketball player would be drafted in the NFL draft, with whining about the poor victimized Piit football program.
Another new handle?

I post facts. Pitt's incompetent dmin sycophants and fans of child sexual assaults don't like it. Too bad. Perish and descend to a hot place. I'll continue to irritate with platinum clad facts.

Last edited:
Another new handle?

I post facts. Pitt's incompetent dmin sycophants and fans of child sexual assaults don't like it. Too bad. Perish and descend to a hot place. I'll continue to irritate with platinum clad facts.

Marsha Marsha Marsha

Jimmy Graham only played 1 year of football at Miami with only 17 catches.
He had a great combine measureables and was taken in the 3rd round.

Zion has more hype, is an inch taller, 20lbs heavier, and has a better vertical. If the rest of his measureables are equally impressive then some team is taking him in the top 3 rounds.

NFL teams do not take "flyers" in 7 round drafts...they take flyers in free agency.

True -- but if Zion said he was declaring for the NFL draft and decided to play football instead of hoops, I am sure (in my mind anyway) that at least 1 team would draft him.

Someone would probably see him in his undies running around cones and get the vapors. However, lots of world-class athletes have tried and failed badly. Some of these BB guys pan out great but most start to get frustrated when guys half as athletic as them are pushing them all over the field, hitting them and knocking passes away from them. Jordan didn't fail at baseball because he wasn't athletic enough. He failed because he couldn't handle having to start from scratch as a low level player and put the work in to MAYBE be great at something new. Not many NFL GM's are going to gamble a really high pick on a shiny object. That was a fad in the 80's that burned out when teams realized that the risk wasn't worth the reward.

Dude knows nothing about football and has no position. He'd be a project and nobody is burning a high draft pick on a project who didn't play football. Maybe some interest near the end of 3 with compensatory picks. Likely 4-6 range.

I'd agree with this. But why would he do it? He's guaranteed #1 overall in the NBA draft. There's probably no draft pick in any sport worth more than that.

I could see Zion putting on football pads on at duke and being a really good DE at the ACC level. he's that much of a freak. it would be the most idiotic career decision ever, choosing football over the NBA, but I think he could do it and be successful without even practicing..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT