ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In honor of National Pizza Day...

Dec 2, 2018
I wanted to get the board’s opinion of what some of the best pizza places in Pittsburgh are?

My favorite place is Giovanni’s. Great place to meet up at after a Pirates game.

Last edited:
Vincents in Forest Hills
Mineos in Squirrell Hill
Della Sala's in Verona

My top 3 in order.

I'll also ask a question back. Is there anywhere in Pittsburgh that makes a good deep dish Pizza?

Fiori’s
Slice
Betos - it’s different and some people hate it but I like it. Used to be better - they changed the cheese and pepperoni (guessing it’s cheaper) but still good. Just know toppings are uncooked unless you ask for them baked.

Reactions: Noah Bonner
And if you try Fiori’s go to the one on West Liberty Avenue. I’ve never been to the McMurray shop but everyone I’ve spoken to without fail says it’s nowhere near as good. Don’t know why - maybe it’s the ancient ovens at the original location but I’ve never heard much good about McMurray.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Vincents in Forest Hills
Mineos in Squirrell Hill
Della Sala's in Verona

My top 3 in order.

I'll also ask a question back. Is there anywhere in Pittsburgh that makes a good deep dish Pizza?

Gotta agree on those .
Though , you gotta beware of some of the pizza places popping up .
Places like pizza Palermo and taste of Roma .
Only to walk in and seeing a guy with a turban running the place .
Not exactly the taste of Italy .
Kinda like walking into a Chinese restaurant owned by a guy with red hair and freckles named Duffy .

Reactions: BigBird80
Vincents in Forest Hills
Mineos in Squirrell Hill
Della Sala's in Verona

My top 3 in order.

The only true deep dish place was Little Chicago's on the South Side, but I think it's gone.

Looking forward to the post from whichever food snob points out that pizza in Pittsburgh blows; that yinzers are provincial and ignorant to the world beyond the three rivers; and that there are 35 pizza places in any random 4 block stretch of Staten Island or wherever that are better than the best pizza in pgh.

My top two choices are Fioris and caliente

Vincent's pizza on Ardmore Blvd. North Braddock/Forest Hills. The best in Pittsburgh!

Mineo’s, the only compulsory stop on every visit I make to Pittsburgh. I occasionally have their pizzas flown to Los Angeles. They cook them 75% of the way and then freeze them. You finish them in the oven. Cost twice as much and not as great as having them at the pizzeria, but still excellent.

Mineo’s, the only compulsory stop on every visit I make to Pittsburgh. I occasionally have their pizzas flown to Los Angeles. They cook them 75% of the way and then freeze them. You finish them in the oven. Cost twice as much and not as great as having them at the pizzeria, but still excellent.

Agree. I've gotten it take out and it's pretty good. Get it to ear right there in the shop and it's amazing. Trick is to wait long enough so you don't burn thr roof of your mouth from eating it too hot!

Reactions: mike412
My favorites:
Cosmos - Murrysville
Rialto/Baldy's - Greensburg
Della Sala's - Verona

Don't know if it's technically Pizza or Bruschetta/Tomato Pie but, Labriola's Market - Monroeville.

Reactions: Noah Bonner
Where'd it go?

Right into the lumberyard.
Looks good on you though ! Lol.
rodney-eyeroll.gif

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
1. Mineo's Squirrel Hill
2. Police Station in Ambridge
3. Sam's in Canonsburg
4. Beto's on Banksville
5. Slice in Carnegie

An old favorite .
Mary Jo's . Not sure she's even alive anymore but a good pie for a decent price .

Mineo's and Aiello's are both great. As is Fiore's Dormont (McMurray is just okay - as stated above.) I tend to order Pizza Perfecta a lot and it is solid for delivery.

I used to be all in on Vincent's as #1. Then their quality slipped big time IMO. They have recovered, but still not quite the same. Shelly Pie in Turtle Creek allegedly has the same recipe, and some swear it is a better version, but I wasn't convinced. I think the best current version of Vinnie Pie may be at Conforti Pizza in North Huntingdon, which is owned by a cousin on the original Vincent.

Mineo's and Aiello's are both great. As is Fiore's Dormont (McMurray is just okay - as stated above.) I tend to order Pizza Perfecta a lot and it is solid for delivery.

I used to be all in on Vincent's as #1. Then their quality slipped big time IMO. They have recovered, but still not quite the same. Shelly Pie in Turtle Creek allegedly has the same recipe, and some swear it is a better version, but I wasn't convinced. I think the best current version of Vinnie Pie may be at Conforti Pizza in North Huntingdon, which is owned by a cousin on the original Vincent.
Wasn't there a movie about Cousin Vinny?

Went to shelly pie once. It's an old vincents employee who tried to duplicate it but fails imo. The crust isn't even close. Also, wtf do they have a menu for? So not Vincents! I'll never go back.

Pardon me resurrecting this, when this thread was active, I was on the inactive list.

Anyways, does anyone in the AK Valley (especially Tarentum area) remember Lorenzo's Pizza in West Tarentum? If I could have a death row meal, that is it. It's gone, not sure when it went away, late 80's or early 90's?

I am not sure why I loved that pizza so much, it was simple, but it was my all time favorite and I would kill to have one of their pizzas again. Anyone else remember this place?

Pardon me resurrecting this, when this thread was active, I was on the inactive list.

Anyways, does anyone in the AK Valley (especially Tarentum area) remember Lorenzo's Pizza in West Tarentum? If I could have a death row meal, that is it. It's gone, not sure when it went away, late 80's or early 90's?

I am not sure why I loved that pizza so much, it was simple, but it was my all time favorite and I would kill to have one of their pizzas again. Anyone else remember this place?
Yep......After Friday nite football games..your cold, and hungry the best pizza to pickup on your way home.....believe the business lasted threw the mid 80's....oooh the good times!! HTP/Forever!!!

I wonder how many people actually eat their death row meal. on one side, it would be awesome to have any meal after eating jail food for years, if not decades. on the other hand, knowing you'll be dead in an hour or two has to ruin one's appetite..

Reactions: FireballZ
Has anyone ever had a decent pizza west of Cleveland? I live in the Detroit area and there's barely any Mom & Pop pizza parlors thanks to all of the Little Caesars or Dominos every half mile, along with all of them using super cheap cheese to compete with the low prices of the chains. The "Detroit Style" Pizza at places like Buddy's are ok if cooked right but they're more dough than anything else and greasy not in a good way. The casserole they call pizza in Chicago are gross and they put you to sleep faster than a Thanksgiving dinner.

Has anyone ever had a decent pizza west of Cleveland? I live in the Detroit area and there's barely any Mom & Pop pizza parlors thanks to all of the Little Caesars or Dominos every half mile, along with all of them using super cheap cheese to compete with the low prices of the chains. The "Detroit Style" Pizza at places like Buddy's are ok if cooked right but they're more dough than anything else and greasy not in a good way. The casserole they call pizza in Chicago are gross and they put you to sleep faster than a Thanksgiving dinner.

I have been living in Cleveland for 3 weeks, and dear Lord I can't say enough bad things about the pizza style here. I went to the 'best pizza place in Cleveland' recently, and actually thought they had brought the wrong thing to my table. Turns out that Cleveland has their own style of something in between NY and Chicago style, and not nearly as good as either. I am missing the NY style big time. Going to be my first purchase when back in PA.

I really like Buddy's and that is definitely always a stop in the Detroit area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT