ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is throwing projectiles on the ice during an NHL game common?

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
Not a season ticket holder, so not sure if Penguin fans (or others) have done this. I hate to point the finger at the absurd Philadelphia sports fans without asking the question.

Not a season ticket holder, so not sure if Penguin fans (or others) have done this. I hate to point the finger at the absurd Philadelphia sports fans without asking the question.
they boo'd santa for Christ's sake. who boos santa?

Reactions: pitt-girl
Eff them!

I hate that it’s a “self fulfilling prophecy” that they have to boo act act like fools. Then with apparently no repurcussions. Yet, we are the “yinzers”, etc.

Most oaky fan base on earth.

“Booooo.....ohhh......flyya’s......eagulllllls......boooooooo......oh.....Crosby sucks.....ohhhhhh....boooooo.....ohhh.....eagullllllla”

Worse than nitters. Predictable always
(But I guess there is a large overlap)

Went to Pirates home opener in 95 or 96 against ironically, the Phillies, at three rivers. They handed out these fairly large bucco flags to the 10-15k that were there. Phillies went ahead on an error aided in-the-park home run and all the saintly pirates fans flooded the field with flags. The game was stopped for 15 minutes while it was cleaned up. These types of fans exist everywhere. It’s just Philly fans aren’t fair weathered so there are more of them there when bad stuff happens.

Last edited:
This is why I wished that the Pens had won game five and not gone to Philly again. Getting thumped by a full car of beer thrown from the upper deck could've been disastrous.

Went to Pirates home opener in 95 or 96 against ironically, the Phillies, at three rivers. They handed out these fairly large bucco flags to the 10-15k that were there. Phillies went ahead on an error aided in-the-park home run and all the saintly pirates fans flooded the field with flags. Games was stopped for 15 minutes while it was cleaned up. These types of fans exist everywhere. It’s just Philly fans aren’t fair weathered so there are more of them there when bad stuff happens.
Fair enough (I guess). Flags - full beer cans......hmmmmm.

Watching that I was reminded of the Pitt game in Morgantown when they threw debris onto the hardwood including a coin that *just missed* Herrion's eye. I had to wonder if one of the cans had made contact with one of their own. Maybe that was the point? Yikes. Total class.

This is why I wished that the Pens had won game five and not gone to Philly again. Getting thumped by a full car of beer thrown from the upper deck could've been disastrous.

Yeah but rubbing their fan's noses in defeat was worth it. I don't have a hatred of Philly sports (Sixers fan myself) but Flyers fans are a different level of dumb.

Reactions: Chaos
These types of fans exist everywhere. It’s just Philly fans aren’t fair weathered so there are more of them there when bad stuff happens.

Lol....NO. This doesn’t happen because “they have better attendance at losing performances”. Again lol.

Most NFL games are sold out. NHL and NBA are sold out regardless due to smaller venues. Maybe you can say the Phillies attendance is above average versus performance, but again who knows.

They aren’t any more “loyal”. They just act like bigger douches, and have more misery on average. Their rate of winning championships versus expected value has been way below average over the last 50 years. So maybe that contributes to it.

It’s like WVU. Of course it’s not ALL fans....but the % of idiots is higher. It just is.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
I think comparing the Pittsburgh fans and the Philadelphia fans is completely ridiculous. Pittsburgh fans have definitely done some bad things over the years. The Philadelphia fans have a well earned decades old reputation for doing bad things because they do them every single time.

Also, from midway through the second period on in Game 4, you could hear a pin drop because all of those super loyal diehard Philadelphia fans left early.

It’s a bunch of baloney! They just like to act like animals and then excuse it all away as a consequence of their unique passion. It’s completely ridiculous and totally untrue.

Eff them!

I hate that it’s a “self fulfilling prophecy” that they have to boo act act like fools. Then with apparently no repurcussions. Yet, we are the “yinzers”, etc.

Most oaky fan base on earth.

“Booooo.....ohhh......flyya’s......eagulllllls......boooooooo......oh.....Crosby sucks.....ohhhhhh....boooooo.....ohhh.....eagullllllla”

Worse than nitters. Predictable always
(But I guess there is a large overlap)

You insulted Philly... nothing worse than the nitters.

Went to Pirates home opener in 95 or 96 against ironically, the Phillies, at three rivers. They handed out these fairly large bucco flags to the 10-15k that were there. Phillies went ahead on an error aided in-the-park home run and all the saintly pirates fans flooded the field with flags. The game was stopped for 15 minutes while it was cleaned up. These types of fans exist everywhere. It’s just Philly fans aren’t fair weathered so there are more of them there when bad stuff happens.

No, sorry. The Flyers fans are a special kind of lot. Here's the thing, because of the Flyers past and reputation, when they put on their Flyers gear and head to Wells Fargo or whatever it is now, they think they are the Broad Street Bullies and they act accordingly. And the hard on they have for Crosby and the Penguins makes all of this hilarious.

Fair enough (I guess). Flags - full beer cans......hmmmmm.

Watching that I was reminded of the Pitt game in Morgantown when they threw debris onto the hardwood including a coin that *just missed* Herrion's eye. I had to wonder if one of the cans had made contact with one of their own. Maybe that was the point? Yikes. Total class.
I think the Browns fans one year threw hundreds of aluminum beer cans on the field and then they stopped selling those at NFL games.

Reactions: paulbl99
I was shocked, not that they threw cans of beer on the ice, but that they HAD cans of beer. Most sporting events, the vendor pours the can of beer into a cup; they don't give you the can. I didn't know, but have learned, that the Pens do the same. Maybe it's an NHL thing, but I thought it odd, especially in Philly.

na, probably his cocaine dealer who got stiffed by him the day before...
meh, late 70's and early 80s, athlete on cocaine during that time is no news. probably more news worthy if someone wasn't doing it.. same opinion with Dan marino, I consider it a no-story and had nfl scouts followed my wisdom, they'd have had a franchise HOF qb..

In the late 70's my aunt and uncle took a summer to visit every ball park. They said that Philly and Montreal were the worst as far as the fan conduct. She was actually struck by an object thrown by a fan after a perceived bad call. Spent the evening in a medical office in the stadium.

In Montreal, the game turned into some type of separatist protest complete with teargas canisters and police dogs. They weren't allowed to leave the stadium until the unrest quieted down in the wee hours of the morning. Philly was still worse.

Reactions: Rugger
meh, late 70's and early 80s, athlete on cocaine during that time is no news. probably more news worthy if someone wasn't doing it.. same opinion with Dan marino, I consider it a no-story and had nfl scouts followed my wisdom, they'd have had a franchise HOF qb..
uh, transcations and sales in locker room? I must have missed the passe nature of the offense as it was not mentioned in the federal court case on the matter...

It's not common!
Pittsburgh and 90% of other team fans don't do things like that..

Keep in mind Philly fans have a history of assaulting fans from other teams especially during Eagles games.
There have been fights in the stadium and fights in the parking lots that have resulted in serious injuries and I believe one death.

During the Vikings playoff game Eagles fans were throwing full beer and soda cans at the heads of Viking fans. They scored a large number of direct hits causing serious injury. Our local fishwrapper highlighted one Vikings fan questioned Eagles security and they said they couldn't due anything about it.
Translation: Eagles stadium security didn't want to do anything.
WATCH: Unruly Eagles Fans Throw Bottles and Beer Cans at Vikings Fans

AP-Daniel-Sato-640x480.png

AP Photo/Daniel Sato

by Warner Todd Huston21 Jan 20185,534

21 Jan, 2018 21 Jan, 2018
The Philadelphia Eagles are infamous for having some of the most unruly fans in the NFL, and that perception was reinforced on Sunday, when Eagles fans were caught on video taunting and flipping off Vikings fans and; even worse, throwing beer bottles and cans at them as they walked by.
As tailgaters at Philly’s Lincoln Financial Field prepared for the day’s festivities

Philly fans are the nastiest fans on the planet!

Mrs Buffett and I live 80 miles north of the baseball park and don't go to watch Phillies Pirates games anymore due to the risk of someone throwing things at us!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
I was shocked, not that they threw cans of beer on the ice, but that they HAD cans of beer. Most sporting events, the vendor pours the can of beer into a cup; they don't give you the can. I didn't know, but have learned, that the Pens do the same. Maybe it's an NHL thing, but I thought it odd, especially in Philly.

You can get cans at Heinz for football games and they have cans at Pirate games.

In the late 70's my aunt and uncle took a summer to visit every ball park. They said that Philly and Montreal were the worst as far as the fan conduct. She was actually struck by an object thrown by a fan after a perceived bad call. Spent the evening in a medical office in the stadium.

In Montreal, the game turned into some type of separatist protest complete with teargas canisters and police dogs. They weren't allowed to leave the stadium until the unrest quieted down in the wee hours of the morning. Philly was still worse.

I visited Citizens Bank Park several times in the first decade it opened and always found it to be a great place to watch a game. I find Phillie and Sixer fans to be pretty good and knowledgeable. Flyer and Eagle fans are another story.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I think comparing the Pittsburgh fans and the Philadelphia fans is completely ridiculous. Pittsburgh fans have definitely done some bad things over the years. The Philadelphia fans have a well earned decades old reputation for doing bad things because they do them every single time.

Also, from midway through the second period on in Game 4, you could hear a pin drop because all of those super loyal diehard Philadelphia fans left early.

It’s a bunch of baloney! They just like to act like animals and then excuse it all away as a consequence of their unique passion. It’s completely ridiculous and totally untrue.

To your point it is a yearly thing in Philadelphia. No one denies that it happens here but it doesn’t happen each and every year Pittsburgh teams lose.

Yeah, I have some family in Philadelphia and I have to travel out there on business fairly often as well. I have spent a fair amount of time out there over the years and I really like them and I think they are somewhat misunderstood.

As a rule, Philadelphian’s aren’t mean and nasty, as per their reputation. They're just completely cuckoo bananas. They are very emotional and nutty and they tend to overshare and it’s only natural that all of that emotion will spill over to their sports teams. Also, Philly is a very close-knit community for such a large city. For better or worse, there’s really no place quite like it. Personally, I like it a lot but I also understand why it’s not for everyone.

I particularly love South Philadelphia. It’s a little bit like Bloomfield on steroids and it’s just a great place to hang out. It’s an awesome place to people watch and it’s just a wild ride all the time. I tend to make friends every time I go out there. I really connect with Philadelphians. I can’t really explain why because I am actually pretty chill guy. However, they always really liked me, and I like them too.

However, you have to understand that they really do have a chip on their shoulder about being the “other” major northeastern city after New York, Boston and Washington DC. That annoys them to no end and causes them to act insanely.

They always feel like the world is out to get them – that’s a fundamental part of being a Philadelphian. Everyone’s always conspiring to screw you over. Who knows why? It probably goes back to colonial times. However, it’s definitely a part of their cultural DNA.

I have a T-shirt that I wear around the house that’s in the Phillies’ font and it just says, “Ill.” It is a black T-shirt with red writing and white trim. I love that shirt because it perfectly captures the Philadelphia mentality of, “It’s us against the world, so the world can kiss our asses because were tougher than they are anyhow.”

And that gets us to the root of the problem with the Philadelphia fandom thing. Not only are they not embarrassed by their boorish fan behavior, they actually take pride in it. They think that proves that they are legitimate diehards whereas all of the fans of all the other teams are nothing but front running poseurs.

That my friends is the real problem here.

Conversely, the rest of the world sees that continued jackassery as proof that they are a bunch of idiots who can’t or won’t behave civilly under any circumstances. That causes the rest of the country to root against them, which only for furthers their pre-existing belief that everyone hates them and is out to get them anyway.

Philadelphians just fundamentally see the world through a very different prism than everyone else, which is why this issue has only worsened over the years and why it will continue to worsen until someone gets really hurt. Then, they will blame Gary Bettman for failing to step in sooner and stop those animals from behaving like animals.

Last edited:
demolition derbies in Pittsburgh? Where, I'd love to go to one. actually would like to see a dog fight too but cant seem to find any of those either..

Steelers haven’t been to the super bowl in 8 years and are rape enablers.

I agree. They should put Roethlisberger inside one of the FOUR jail cells located in the bowels of Lincoln Financial Field.

That’s right, your fans consistently act like such flaming jackasses that your football stadium had to include in its architectural plans a JAIL inside it.

That’s fairly unique in all of American sports. Even Mountaineer Field doesn’t have an in-house facility in which to incarcerate their animal fans.

Everyone has the moral high ground on Philadelphia! That’s the point. It’s more than throwing snowballs at Santa Claus. It’s throwing full beer cans on the ice because you didn’t like the result. That didn’t happen in the 50s, that happened on Sunday.

Yeah but rubbing their fan's noses in defeat was worth it. I don't have a hatred of Philly sports (Sixers fan myself) but Flyers fans are a different level of dumb.

I think this is the most accurate description I have seen yet of Philly fans. I was going to post something similar.

It is like there is some kind of switch that gets flipped with Philly fans when they go to Flyer and Eagle games that make them animals. At Sixers and Phillies games, they are normal.

In fairness, there are clearly some Steeler fans who also fall into this animal category but I believe many of the fans falling in that category are hick WVU fans that also support the Steelers and bring their nonsense with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT