ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Koki Cockburn to the portal

Another Dub for šŸ

Said they should take him back and they did!

You guys have to realize that this is a whole new era. These are 1 year free agents. For example, Jeff Capel has to proactively plan that 7-8 players will enter the portal next season. Does he tell them all they can't come back? Eff no. You have to let them take "recruiting visits" every year now. Its a completely ridiculous rule but it is what it is.
Not much of a prediction that they ā€œshouldā€ take him back. Only a couple of misguided souls on a Pitt message board tried to make that into some kind of imaginary moral dilemma. The suspense was about what Cockburm was going to do, not whether Underwood would take him back. The fact that Illinois was back on his ā€œlistā€ for the past couple weeks made that kind of obvious.

Not much of a prediction that they ā€œshouldā€ take him back. Only a couple of misguided souls on a Pitt message board tried to make that into some kind of imaginary moral dilemma. The suspense was about what Cockburm was going to do, not whether Underwood would take him back. The fact that Illinois was back on his ā€œlistā€ for the past couple weeks made that kind of obvious.

See you did miss the point. It just took you a while it admit it.

The original point was if Underwood had a spine he could have prevented all of this "drama" within his program. Part of the reason you don't see many Pitt football players in the portal is because they know there isn't a return once you go there.

Agree, but its still going in my win column. Laughable some folks think you shouldn't take back an AA candidate

Said they should take him back and they did!

You guys have to realize that this is a whole new era. These are 1 year free agents. For example, Jeff Capel has to proactively plan that 7-8 players will enter the portal next season. Does he tell them all they can't come back? Eff no. You have to let them take "recruiting visits" every year now. Its a completely ridiculous rule but it is what it is.
Of course he took him back.
Same would have happened
with Capel if Champ decided
to come back.

Another Dub for šŸ

Hey Captain Obvious,
What did you win? My sense
is most on here obviously
realize that coaches would
have taken a player of his
quality back in a heartbeat.
As for those agreeing with
Dooz, they are few and far
between. Can you imagine
the outrage on here if
Dooz decided not to take
back Kenny in the same
circumstance.

Of course he took him back.
Same would have happened
with Capel if Champ decided
to come back.

Another Dub for šŸ

Hey Captain Obvious,
What did you win? My sense
is most on here obviously
realize that coaches would
have taken a player of his
quality back in a heartbeat.
As for those agreeing with
Dooz, they are few and far
between. Can you imagine
the outrage on here if
Dooz decided not to take
back Kenny in the same
circumstance.
Testing the NBA waters and entering the transfer portal are completely different scenarios.

Testing the NBA waters and entering the transfer portal are completely different scenarios.
I agree, however the
point I was making is
that coaches will take
back their players if
given the opportunity.

I also was responding to
SMF's point about players
and coaches in today's
atmosphere. It is a very
different scenario today.
He actually was saying
that very point, and IMO
most would agree.
However.... a "win"? Now
that's hysterical.

Last edited:

The original point was if Underwood had a spine he could have prevented all of this "drama" within his program. Part of the reason you don't see many Pitt football players in the portal is because they know there isn't a return once you go there.
Pretty sure Iā€™m not the one missing the ā€œpointā€ on this issue.

Underwood is smart. No college basketball coach with a brain would ever state some hard and fast rule that if you enter the portal youā€™re gone. You lose a star player and youā€™re screwed. Football teams on the other hand have 85 scholarship players, more than 3 for every position. A football program can absorb the loss of a starting player outside of a high level QB. And they really doesnā€™t happenā€” starting P5 QBs donā€™t leave for greener pastures.

Reactions: Ski11585

Back to your ā€œpointsā€ā€”I wonder if they employ the Narduzzi transfer philosophy at Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma, Georgia, or any of the other programs that have had sustained high level success?

Or at any perennial top 40 hoops program?

Not sure Iā€™d throw Narduzziā€™s name around as the college football coach that has it all figured out.

Back to your ā€œpointsā€ā€”I wonder if they employ the Narduzzi transfer philosophy at Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma, Georgia, or any of the other programs that have had sustained high level success?

Or at any perennial top 40 hoops program?

Not sure Iā€™d throw Narduzziā€™s name around as the college football coach that has it all figured out.
Your imagination is getting the best of you. Lol.

Pitt's turnover via transfer portal had been one of the lowest in the country. Part of that outcome is his approach- you know treating his players as adults and being upfront about the ramifications of their actions.

Pitt's turnover via transfer portal had been one of the lowest in the country. Part of that outcome is his approach- you know treating his players as adults and being upfront about the ramifications of their actions.
Another part of it is not having many junior or senior bench players that could start or get meaningful PT at another P5 program. Which is why the transfers he has had-pre and post portal-have transferred down.

And in football, with very few exceptions (like a coaching change or player disciplinary issue) starters donā€™t enter the portal.

If Capel or Duzz ever refused to let a player of Kofiā€™s caliber return to the team after testing the portal they deserve to be fired.

Reactions: Ronnyp91 and BFo8
I donā€™t know, personally I would have a difficult time welcoming a player back who may or may not be committed to the program.
But every situation is unique and I can appreciate that.

I donā€™t know, personally I would have a difficult time welcoming a player back who may or may not be committed to the program.
In basketball the best players are only as committed to their programs as their pro prospects and media profile levels require.

Last edited:
In basketball the nest players are only as committed to their programs as their pro prospects and media profile levels require.
Thatā€™s fair and I realize that, maybe itā€™s more just the sad state of where college basketball is right now.

Every player is committed for only 1 year. These are different times.

If Capel or Duzz ever refused to let a player of Kofiā€™s caliber return to the team after testing the portal they deserve to be fired.

This is true, and there is absolutely zero chance that would happen. If Pitt had an AA player like that who entered the portal and wanted to come back he would be welcomed with open arms.

I think what youā€™re imagining is that Narduzzi is in some way extraordinary or exceptional in the way he manages his program and treats his players, as opposed to the rest of the P5 HCs out there.

Thatā€™s fair and I realize that, maybe itā€™s more just the sad state of where college basketball is right now.
there.

That I certainly do not disagree with. The NBA has ruined the entire sport at every level. Itā€™s a $hitty version of the game that is unrecognizable from the glory days of Magic, Bird, Jordan etc, and it has forced college teams to adopt the same style of play in order to attract players that have NBA aspirations, which is every player going to a P6 program.

Youā€™d swallow your pride recognizing that your 4-5 mill a year salary is riding on your decision.

Or perhaps there isn't much talent to attract interest?

there.

That I certainly do not disagree with. The NBA has ruined the entire sport at every level. Itā€™s a $hitty version of the game that is unrecognizable from the glory days of Magic, Bird, Jordan etc, and it has forced college teams to adopt the same style of play in order to attract players that have NBA aspirations, which is every player going to a P6 program.
You were making reasonable points til you got to this silly ā€œback in my dayā€ BS.

You were making reasonable points til you got to this silly ā€œback in my dayā€ BS.
LOL-I know you and I differ on this. To me the pro game is unwatchable at this point. The talent level is amazing but the style of play-space the floor, isolate one on one, pick and roll, shoot as soon as you cross half court ā€”just doesnā€™t do it for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Illinois isnā€™t making a FF this year with KC.
They have about as good a chance as anyone else IMO. Maybe a Kansas or Gonzaga looks like an early favorite. Iā€™m not buying into Texas and their all transfer team. Illinois returns 4 of their 5 leading scorers, the rare dominant big man and they have an excellent coach. The national field is watered down big time this year, there are no dominant teams. UNC and Duke with brand new first time head coaches that are totally unproven quantities. Tons of impact transfers and roster turnover nationwide. Possible one hit wonders like Baylor, Bama etc out there that might come crashing back down to earth after amazing seasons last year. This stands to be one of the most interesting and unpredictable seasons in a long time.

Reactions: DnTanna07
LOL-I know you and I differ on this. To me the pro game is unwatchable at this point. The talent level is amazing but the style of play-space the floor, isolate one on one, pick and roll, shoot as soon as you cross half court ā€”just doesnā€™t do it for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Fair enough. I do agree that the trickle down this has had to college has made college gamesā€¦. Very hard to watch.

Reactions: DnTanna07
ADVERTISEMENT