ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MAC mens soccer is no more

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
MAC Conference announced today that it will no longer sponsor mens soccer. Not sure if this is title lX related but schools like Akron will have to find another league to compete in. I’m guessing Big East or Conference USA.

MAC Conference announced today that it will no longer sponsor mens soccer. Not sure if this is title lX related but schools like Akron will have to find another league to compete in. I’m guessing Big East or Conference USA.
Not sure Big East can add more, but conference USA and american have had a lot of movement. I assume Akron football would stay the same.

Sun Belt football expansion killed CUSA soccer and MAC soccer.

The Sun Belt didnt have soccer but started it since they added Marshall, JMU, and ODU. Coastal, Georgia Southern, and Georgia State were playing in other leagues. The Georgia schools were playing soccer in the MAC. CUSA soccer was only left with FIU, Kentucky, and South Carolina. Ky, SC, and WVU (from the MAC) joined the SB and CUSA folded.

Surprisingly, only 4 of the 12 MAC schools sponsor men's soccer so with the loss of WVU and the Georgia schools, they couldn't continue.

Akron is an elite program so they'll be fine. I doubt the Big East would take them. My guess is they head to the Sun Belt. They arent far from WVU, Marshall, JMU, and ODU. I'd guess that BG, WMU, and UNI go to the Horizon or Summit.

Sun Belt football expansion killed CUSA soccer and MAC soccer.

The Sun Belt didnt have soccer but started it since they added Marshall, JMU, and ODU. Coastal, Georgia Southern, and Georgia State were playing in other leagues. The Georgia schools were playing soccer in the MAC. CUSA soccer was only left with FIU, Kentucky, and South Carolina. Ky, SC, and WVU (from the MAC) joined the SB and CUSA folded.

Surprisingly, only 4 of the 12 MAC schools sponsor men's soccer so with the loss of WVU and the Georgia schools, they couldn't continue.

Akron is an elite program so they'll be fine. I doubt the Big East would take them. My guess is they head to the Sun Belt. They arent far from WVU, Marshall, JMU, and ODU. I'd guess that BG, WMU, and UNI go to the Horizon or Summit.
I heard the Big east can take them and go to two divisions. I haven’t really looked into it, as Akron will land on their feet anywhere they go.

Academics, size, it’s public not private.
Yeah I don’t know what the Big East profile is anymore after it’s not longer east and it’s no longer primarily catholic, lol. It’s a big school with over 20K enrollment and big time athletic facilities. But again, we are just talking mens soccer and that would be an asset to any league it joins.

Yeah I don’t know what the Big East profile is anymore after it’s not longer east and it’s no longer primarily catholic, lol. It’s a big school with over 20K enrollment and big time athletic facilities. But again, we are just talking mens soccer and that would be an asset to any league it joins.
I think all of big East schools are private and all teams play both mens and woman’s soccer. Would you have Akron men in big East but not the women?

I think all of big East schools are private and all teams play both mens and woman’s soccer. Would you have Akron men in big East but not the women?
I don’t see why not. But maybe they don’t fit the profile due to the reason you stated.

I heard the Big east can take them and go to two divisions. I haven’t really looked into it, as Akron will land on their feet anywhere they go.
I would be absolutely shocked if the Big East took Akron soccer. Yea, they'd make the league better but its a decent soccer league already and has 11 teams. They dont need an associate member.

I'll tell you who I think COULD potentially add Akron soccer: The Big Ten. They only have 9 teams. UCLA only makes 10. And its really just a step above a mid-major league. Like A10 basketball. The B10 has ND hockey and Johns Hopkins lacrosse so there is precedent.

SMF Odds are:

Sun Belt 80%
Big Ten 20%
Big East 10%

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I would be absolutely shocked if the Big East took Akron soccer. Yea, they'd make the league better but its a decent soccer league already and has 11 teams. They dont need an associate member.

I'll tell you who I think COULD potentially add Akron soccer: The Big Ten. They only have 9 teams. UCLA only makes 10. And its really just a step above a mid-major league. Like A10 basketball. The B10 has ND hockey and Johns Hopkins lacrosse so there is precedent.

SMF Odds are:

Sun Belt 80%
Big Ten 20%
Big East 10%
Whoa. Of course geographically I thought of the B1G but that’s where it ended for me. But geography doesn’t matter anymore.

SMF Odds are:

Sun Belt 80%
Big Ten 20%
Big East 10%
Your math is off.

Marquette
Villanova
Butler
Xavier
Creighton
DePaul
UConn
St. John
Georgetown
Seton hall
Providence

These schools are all private but vary in size and enrollment. Not really sure how Akron would make sense in the big East, but it would at least make it a hell of a conference for mens soccer.

Last edited:
I’m guessing you weren’t a math major.
doug-maclean-doug.gif

SMF Odds are:

Sun Belt 80%
Big Ten 20%
Big East 10%
Sigh. Another job well done, SMF.

Reactions: Pitt MD
And they use the news to advertise for the Pitt game on Sunday.

Who wants to drive out to Akron with FK for the match? There are three really good breweries near the stadium.

And they use the news to advertise for the Pitt game on Sunday.

Who wants to drive out to Akron with FK for the match? There are three really good breweries near the stadium.
I was thinking of going but with the weather, I kind of doubt it. Surprised the Big East took on associate member but can't say I blame them. Akron is a really good program, though they have slipped since in the past 5-6 years.

I was thinking of going but with the weather, I kind of doubt it. Surprised the Big East took on associate member but can't say I blame them. Akron is a really good program, though they have slipped since in the past 5-6 years.
If the weather were nice, I’d go. But without looking I assume it’s gonna be a typical late November afternoon. I’ll stay on my couch and watch the Steelers and have the soccer game on my phone.

Btw their branding sucks. Who the hell did they pay for their new logo? I like the star above it for their national title. But the university paid who exactly for that logo design? Boring.

I highly doubt they'd move the women's team out of the MAC or that the Big East would take the women's team.
I bet they would if it was a condition to getting the mens team.

But the women belong in the MAC with the Kent St’s and Ohio U’s and that’s where they will stay. They had a coach there for 7 years who wasn’t able to piggy back on the mens team success while sharing the world class facilities and having student body support because it’s a soccer school. There’s a new coach there that just finished year one of a long rebuild. They have a ways to go. But there’s a lot to sell so hopefully for their sake the new coach will do well on the recruiting trail. What I have found is that most teams in every conference from the ACC to the Atlantic 10 to the MAC are built the same way. All intra conference matches are competitive, even the matches between the 1st place team and the last place team. The difference is normally 1-2 difference makers. Recruit them and you can change the whole trajectory of the program.

I bet they would if it was a condition to getting the mens team.

But the women belong in the MAC with the Kent St’s and Ohio U’s and that’s where they will stay. They had a coach there for 7 years who wasn’t able to piggy back on the mens team success while sharing the world class facilities and having student body support because it’s a soccer school. There’s a new coach there that just finished year one of a long rebuild. They have a ways to go. But there’s a lot to sell so hopefully for their sake the new coach will do well on the recruiting trail. What I have found is that most teams in every conference from the ACC to the Atlantic 10 to the MAC are built the same way. All intra conference matches are competitive, even the matches between the 1st place team and the last place team. The difference is normally 1-2 difference makers. Recruit them and you can change the whole trajectory of the program.

I am sure Akron would send their women's team as a condition to getting their men's team in. However, I feel that the MAC would have a major problem with a program leaving a league in a sport they sponsor.

Just read the article. 2 divisions of 6 teams. Play all members of division and play 3 across division. 12 teams, 8 conference games. Akron is eligible immediately for conference championship.

The East Division will consist of Connecticut, Georgetown, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Villanova. The Midwest Division will include Akron, Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Marquette and Xavier.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Just read the article. 2 divisions of 6 teams. Play all members of division and play 3 across division. 12 teams, 8 conference games. Akron is eligible immediately for conference championship.

The East Division will consist of Connecticut, Georgetown, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Villanova. The Midwest Division will include Akron, Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Marquette and Xavier.
Geographically makes sense.

With football divisions being eliminated, I wonder if the ACC will eliminate divisions or change divisions in the other sports. In men's soccer, they play 8 of the 11 other ACC teams. There is a tournament at the end to decide the champ so is a tournament really necessary? Or do a North/South to cut down on travel

North
BC
Syr
Pitt
ND
UVa
VT

South
Lou
UNC
Duke
NC St
Wake
Clemson

With soccer you have to have the conference tournament. But you have to expand to give more than just top half a chance. A team like Creighton caught fire late in season and proved in in the conference tournament and earned the automatic qualifier for NCAA.
Creighton was 6th in the conference overall but smoked everyone in the tournament. They are a high scoring team that can upset many teams.

ADVERTISEMENT