ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Masters.....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
Ouch, Sergio! Brings to mind the scene with Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup".

My only wish is that Tiger doesn't make the cut because he will suck up the majority of the coverage all weekend.

Beautiful day at Augusta.

My only wish is that Tiger doesn't make the cut because he will suck up the majority of the coverage all weekend.

I saw his 13 It was painful. Yeah, the Tiger crap is abit over the top. Christ, Phil, Fowler and Kuchar is playing and barely getting coverage.

Tiger sucks up all the coverage whether he is playing or not. It really gets sickening.

They covered him in one tourney most of the time and he missed the cut??

I also hope he doesn't play well enough to make the Ryder Cup team because the US finally has a team approach to the Cup teams and Tiger's presence will make that go away!

It's always been about Tiger and always will be about Tiger.
In his mind he's the story.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Tiger in contention after Saturday is the only reason I watch on Sunday.
I agree he's an interesting athlete and has alot of followers.

When he's in contention they should cover him but they cover him when he's working on an 8 on a par five and not likely to make the cut.
Or:
If he makes a cut and he's out of contention they still dedicate alot of the coverage to Tiger.

That's why I think he'd kill the team spirit of a Ryder or Presidents Cup team with the media focusing on him at the expense of other team members.

But I guess he gets ratings.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

And I'll admit I'm a casual golf fan but that probably accounts for 50 percent of the people who were watching in Tiger's heyday.

A ton of big names in mix. Sweet. Hate when some no name leads, kills the excitement. Save the Cinderella feel good stories for college hoops, I want names I know in the hunt for the masters.

Right now? The tailor's should be sizing up Jordan Spieth's jacket. He looks fantastic. Here's an amazing star. This is Jordan Spieth's 9th rd in leading the Master's in 7 rounds played. Contrast this with Tiger, he has 9 rounds led in 79 rounds played.

Here's another telling stat. The last 12 Master's winners have been in the top 10 in the opening round. This brings Mickelson, Fowler and those above into it.

Your likely winner is Spieth, in fact I would bet $100 to win $500 on Spieth. If not Spieth? Phil, Rory, Stenson and Kuchar (who it would really be great to see win it) in play.

The Tiger hype is ridiculous. He's down 7 strokes and the schleps at ESPN act like hes right there in the hunt, News flash, Tiger is just another guy on the tour and the guys at the top of the leaderboard no longer fear him. Yet if he makes the cut, he'll continue to get the focus no matter how far out of the lead he is.

The game doesnt need Tiger any more to be interesting. The young guys on the tour bring plenty tot he table in terms of making the game interesting.

What I love about Speith is that the kid is incredibly well grounded and isnt a bomber yet he's right there. It didnt look like his flat stick was workign well enough for him heading into the masters but he had a great first round. Should be a great tourney

Right now? The tailor's should be sizing up Jordan Spieth's jacket. He looks fantastic. Here's an amazing star. This is Jordan Spieth's 9th rd in leading the Master's in 7 rounds played. Contrast this with Tiger, he has 9 rounds led in 79 rounds played.

Here's another telling stat. The last 12 Master's winners have been in the top 10 in the opening round. This brings Mickelson, Fowler and those above into it.

Your likely winner is Spieth, in fact I would bet $100 to win $500 on Spieth. If not Spieth? Phil, Rory, Stenson and Kuchar (who it would really be great to see win it) in play.
I'm a big fan of Kuchar also.

What I would like to ask those Tiger fans, who can only watch him is.....................why? What really makes him so compelling that you could care less about the sport or the other players? Why?

I firmly believe, despite all of Wood's past greatness, if he had the same success and was a white guy named "Bob", he would have had half of the popularity. I really believe the "Tiger" nickname appealed to young kids.

What I would like to ask those Tiger fans, who can only watch him is.....................why? What really makes him so compelling that you could care less about the sport or the other players? Why?

I firmly believe, despite all of Wood's past greatness, if he had the same success and was a white guy named "Bob", he would have had half of the popularity. I really believe the "Tiger" nickname appealed to young kids.
It is the Larry Bird syndrome, a great talent but rooted for more fervently because he was a duck out of water in the NBA.... But more to the point. ... What really makes him so compelling that you could care less about the sport or the other players? Why? Because he is (or at least was) the greatest player to ever to play the game imo. To answer your other question, If you are not going to watch golf very week you will probably select tournaments that involve the greatest of all time to view... that being said, everything in my sports being (his arrogance and the way he supposedly treats fans and my usual rooting for underdogs) tells me to root against him but I root for him...odd and the only thing I can think of is that I am willing to put up with him and the over the top media coverage for a chance (once a certainty, now a longshot) to watch history being made.

Last edited:
Tiger sucks up all the coverage whether he is playing or not. It really gets sickening.
For good reason, that tournament when he finished 2nd a few weeks back had the highest TV ratings for a non major since like 2013. It's ONLY about the money, even sucky Tiger still sells.

And I'll admit I'm a casual golf fan but that probably accounts for 50 percent of the people who were watching in Tiger's heyday.

I played golf a lot for about 25 years '87-'12 or so, then I got tied up a lot coaching soccer, contracted asthma, had a hip replacement and kind of lost interest in golf, and after playing 20-30 times a year for a couple decades, have only played a few times since and don't miss it much at all... I also found that while I was playing, I was interested to watch on TV, but now almost never playing, I've lost all interest in watching it too.

Golf fans are going to have to get over disliking the "no names" winning tournaments.
Golf has more talented young and middle career players than ever before as the so called "big names" fade away.

Golfers who the casual fan consider "no names" are very talented golfers and what we'll see going forward is alot of different winners due to the large US/global golf talent pool.

I doubt we'll see PGA pro's dominating the sport like Tiger and others did years ago!

I was a Tiger fan back in the day but I think it's time for him to buy a few Papa John's franchises and figure out how to defend himself from future attacks from female friends.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Golf fans are going to have to get over disliking the "no names" winning tournaments.
Golf has more talented young and middle career players than ever before as the so called "big names" fade away.

Golfers who the casual fan consider "no names" are very talented golfers and what we'll see going forward is alot of different winners due to the large US/global golf talent pool.

I doubt we'll see PGA pro's dominating the sport like Tiger and others did years ago!

I was a Tiger fan back in the day but I think it's time for him to buy a few Papa John's franchises and figure out how to defend himself from future attacks from female friends.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Go BERND WIESBERGER !!!

I played golf a lot for about 25 years '87-'12 or so, then I got tied up a lot coaching soccer, contracted asthma, had a hip replacement and kind of lost interest in golf, and after playing 20-30 times a year for a couple decades, have only played a few times since and don't miss it much at all... I also found that while I was playing, I was interested to watch on TV, but now almost never playing, I've lost all interest in watching it too.
Sounds like a great new and exciting Netflix series...

big names isn't just Tiger. Big names are guys in the top 20, it's not just Phil and Tiger, although I love Phil. Kuch, spieth, stenson, Fowler, Rory, Zach Johnson, Rose, Dustin Johnson, those are all BIG NAMES and all doing well and "in the mix" although it's early.

That's what I mean by big names. I don't want to watch Danny Willett win, no one does, that sucks.. watching angel Cabrera win it a few years ago set golf back about 50 years. any arguments that golfers are athletes just got dismantled seeing a middle aged, walking heart attack walk up the 18th fairway smoking a cig, winning the masters.

I want Phil, Bubba, Spieth, those types.

Tiger is changing for the better. He is working on his branding that has taken a hit and tarnished some by non golf issues. Now 42, I think he's seeing Fowler's branding success along with many tributes to Palmer and living legends Nicklaus and Player. Whether it's sincere or just his PR people working with him I can see myself gravitating toward the Tiger mystique. I'm old school and believe Nicklaus was and will be the greatest ever. But I like the new wave--not as entitled as former new players.

The Tiger hype is ridiculous. He's down 7 strokes and the schleps at ESPN act like hes right there in the hunt, News flash, Tiger is just another guy on the tour and the guys at the top of the leaderboard no longer fear him. Yet if he makes the cut, he'll continue to get the focus no matter how far out of the lead he is.

The game doesnt need Tiger any more to be interesting. The young guys on the tour bring plenty tot he table in terms of making the game interesting.

What I love about Speith is that the kid is incredibly well grounded and isnt a bomber yet he's right there. It didnt look like his flat stick was workign well enough for him heading into the masters but he had a great first round. Should be a great tourney
How do you account for the fact that ratings are up two hundred percent when Tiger is in the hunt? Dah!

... any arguments that golfers are athletes just got dismantled seeing a middle aged, walking heart attack walk up the 18th fairway smoking a cig, winning the masters.

But that's what golf really is. You don't have to be a good athlete to get good at golf, John Daly? The Walrus? Lumpy? Monty? Lot's of fat, out of shape chain smokers/alcoholics can be that way and play world class golf.

How do you account for the fact that ratings are up two hundred percent when Tiger is in the hunt? Dah!
tiger is polarizing character, he's the Notre Dame football of golf. You hate him or love him but you watch. Personally, I hated him since he was on cover of Sports Illustrated as a 15 year old but only started rooting for him after his crazy wife went after him with a golf club on thanksgiving, now I really root for him.

Dude got caught banging "strange," it happens, whats the big deal? does need to relax a bit on throwin down booze and mixing up every pain pill on planet and driving, i'll give you guys that one..

A lot of guys having a rough time today, including Speith.

Regarding Sergio's brain cramp.... he should know better.

Whoops. Not so fast.

Augusta giveth and Augusta taketh away. ;)

tiger is polarizing character, he's the Notre Dame football of golf. You hate him or love him but you watch. Personally, I hated him since he was on cover of Sports Illustrated as a 15 year old but only started rooting for him after his crazy wife went after him with a golf club on thanksgiving, now I really root for him.

Dude got caught banging "strange," it happens, whats the big deal? does need to relax a bit on throwin down booze and mixing up every pain pill on planet and driving, i'll give you guys that one..
Booze wasn’t involved

Right now maybe the most incredible Leaderboard in a Major as long as i can remember.

Reed
Leishman
Fowler
McIlroy
Rahm
Bubba
Justin Thomas
Spieth
DJ
Stenson
Justin Rose.

Those guys right now, save for maybe Jason Day, who's only a couple back of this group are simply the best golfers in the world right now. Rarely does this happen though they line up for a major. Will be interesting to see how Reed holds up.

Also, what is great is no Tiger. CBS doesn't have to feel compelled to broadcast his every shot. They can go to each one of these guys shots without worrying about upsetting the Tiger Tour.

Reactions: pitt-girl
Right now maybe the most incredible Leaderboard in a Major as long as i can remember.

Reed
Leishman
Fowler
McIlroy
Rahm
Bubba
Justin Thomas
Spieth
DJ
Stenson
Justin Rose.

Those guys right now, save for maybe Jason Day, who's only a couple back of this group are simply the best golfers in the world right now. Rarely does this happen though they line up for a major. Will be interesting to see how Reed holds up.

And now add Tommy Fleetwood Mac he's on a roll?? Three birdies in a row.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: pitt-girl
ADVERTISEMENT