ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Messi and the farmers league

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I can’t believe MLS regular season is over. I thought it just started (I don’t follow it). But wow did he dominate this rag tag league. Who knew?

Do they have to win the league championship to qualify for the Club World Cup next summer? Or has FIFA remained mum on the selection/qualification criteria for that last North American spot? Maybe winning the Supporters Shield (MLS’s version of the NHL’s Presidents Cup) is enough for FIFA to hand them the spot?

Do they have to win the league championship to qualify for the Club World Cup next summer? Or has FIFA remained mum on the selection/qualification criteria for that last North American spot? Maybe winning the Supporters Shield (MLS’s version of the NHL’s Presidents Cup) is enough for FIFA to hand them the spot?

Winning the Supporter's Shield is a good criteria for the extra spot so no complaints there, but it's funny that they didn't announce that until after Miami won it.

Of course what that means is that if Miami hadn't won it then it wouldn't have been the criteria. It would have been something like highest finishing team in the playoffs not otherwise qualified. And if that didn't work it would have been something like highest finishing team that has someone who can creditably be called the GOAT on their team.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I can’t believe MLS regular season is over. I thought it just started (I don’t follow it). But wow did he dominate this rag tag league. Who knew?

Messi only played 19 of the 34 matches. As for the Club World Cup, it was always going to be Inter Miami and I have been saying that for awhile. Its not a FIFA decision, its an MLS/US Soccer decision since they are hosting. The US gets a host team and can pick anyone they want. And its the right call whether or not they win anything of importance. MLS/US Soccer was just waiting and hoping they'd win something so they can make it look like a valid pick. Had they not won anything, they would have been a "commissioner's pick" or something like that. I'm just disappointed that Ronaldo's medieval kingdom team couldn't win Asia to get a bid.

Its not a FIFA decision, its an MLS/US Soccer decision since they are hosting. The US gets a host team and can pick anyone they want.

Not surprisingly, that is simply factually incorrect.

"FIFA reserved the right to choose the final Concacaf participant, awarding the ticket to the 2024 Supporters' Shield winner Inter Miami. MLS commissioner Don Garber revealed during the All-Star game on July 24 that the league could only provide FIFA with suggestions, but would not select the participant."

But hey, that's only coming from the MLS commissioner. Who would know more about this, him or SMF?

Not surprisingly, that is simply factually incorrect.

"FIFA reserved the right to choose the final Concacaf participant, awarding the ticket to the 2024 Supporters' Shield winner Inter Miami. MLS commissioner Don Garber revealed during the All-Star game on July 24 that the league could only provide FIFA with suggestions, but would not select the participant."

But hey, that's only coming from the MLS commissioner. Who would know more about this, him or SMF?

Riiiiight

This is a situation where US Soccer, MLS, and FIFA all wanted Inter Miami so it was ALWAYS going to happen. Just needed Miami to win something first so it didnt look bad.

Riiiiight

This is a situation where US Soccer, MLS, and FIFA all wanted Inter Miami so it was ALWAYS going to happen. Just needed Miami to win something first so it didnt look bad.

Of course they all wanted Miami in it. That doesn't change the fact, and it is a fact, that MLS didn't make the decision. FIFA did. I mean the guy running MLS said as much months ago. Long before anyone knew how Miami was going to finish the season. There is literally no reason to not believe him.

Except if you made a stupid, incorrect statement and simply can't bring yourself to say "huh, I did not know that, I was clearly wrong."

Of course they all wanted Miami in it. That doesn't change the fact, and it is a fact, that MLS didn't make the decision. FIFA did. I mean the guy running MLS said as much months ago. Long before anyone knew how Miami was going to finish the season. There is literally no reason to not believe him.

Except if you made a stupid, incorrect statement and simply can't bring yourself to say "huh, I did not know that, I was clearly wrong."

I think everyone would agree it was always going to be Miami but I think you are interpretating this incorrectly. When this tournament is in Japan or Morocco or UAE or wherever, sure, I guess FIFA picks the host country team but here's what they do: "Hey, Japan, who do you want in it?" So really its Japan picking it because FIFA doesn't give 2 shits if its the Hiroshima Atoms or Nagasaki Bombers. So, while technically, you are right, I am also not wrong.

I think everyone would agree it was always going to be Miami but I think you are interpretating this incorrectly. When this tournament is in Japan or Morocco or UAE or wherever, sure, I guess FIFA picks the host country team but here's what they do: "Hey, Japan, who do you want in it?" So really its Japan picking it because FIFA doesn't give 2 shits if its the Hiroshima Atoms or Nagasaki Bombers. So, while technically, you are right, I am also not wrong.

Actually, technically I am right, and technically you are wrong.

Additionally, not technically I am right, and not technically you are wrong.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT