ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB needs 16,000 cows per year for baseballs

CJsE

Junior
Mar 5, 2016
and spends $12,000 per year on mud, which I actually assumed would be more.

Yeah, craziest stuff was how the smallest changes like imperceptible leather smoothing or a 9% change in the thickness of the strings have such significant impact on the game. I mean obviously it would make a difference, but the laces one increased home runs by like 46% that season.

Reactions: ddc17
Look at the bright side. Car companies, Volvo is one, are eliminating leather seats in their cars. There will be lots of cow hides that would go wasted that can now become a baseball that gets used one time.

See, there's always a silver lining.

Reactions: ratking17
As a vegan, I would dub this a moral dilemma if I cared enough to watch baseball in the first place.

The solution to making the game better is six innings of five outs. Less stoppages, thereby shortening the game, and more runs without having to tinker with balls, bats, mounds, etc. Get 'er done, whoever the commissioner is right now.

So MLB is contributing to the climate change crisis by harvesting these methane producing bovines?

Wouldn't they be helping to solve the climate change crisis by harvesting the methane producing bovines?

Think of all the extra cow farts there would be if you added 16,000 cows to the cow farting population!

Reactions: Dan1911
Wouldn't they be helping to solve the climate change crisis by harvesting the methane producing bovines?

Think of all the extra cow farts there would be if you added 16,000 cows to the cow farting population!
But don't you remember the thread a few months ago about how many baseballs a game goes through. MLB should be boycotted by PETA

There should be a war on the streets outside of baseball stadiums, the PETA people mad that they are killing cows versus the climate people happy that they are killing cows!

Farming in general isn't the problem but industrial farming is a disaster for the environment.

Horizon is giant organic producer- they will be carbon positive in a year or two.

and spends $12,000 per year on mud, which I actually assumed would be more.

What I don't get is every single time a ball hits the dirt they have to throw the ball out. Why? It never used to be that way. What I'd like to know is do those balls get "refurbished" or cleaned up then used again? What a ridiculous pampered piece of waste.

What I don't get is every single time a ball hits the dirt they have to throw the ball out. Why? It never used to be that way. What I'd like to know is do those balls get "refurbished" or cleaned up then used again? What a ridiculous pampered piece of waste.
Bovine balls..

The balls that are taken out of MLB games should be re-used in minor league games, they are practically new anyone. Maybe not in AAA where guys are getting ready for the majors, but send those balls to A and AA games. In fact, baseball is so money hungry, I am surprised they don't do this already.

As for the cows, I'm sure those cows are being slaughtered anyway for the meat. It's not like the are using the cows just for baseballs and throwing the rest of the animal away.

As a vegan, I would dub this a moral dilemma if I cared enough to watch baseball in the first place.

The solution to making the game better is six innings of five outs. Less stoppages, thereby shortening the game, and more runs without having to tinker with balls, bats, mounds, etc. Get 'er done, whoever the commissioner is right now.
P eople.
E ating.
T asty.
A mimals

They sell all of them for $50 as a game used ball.

Reactions: pittdan77
P eople.
E ating.
T asty.
A mimals

Ha. It's an argument I've come to accept I'll never win. For the life of me, I can't understand taking a perfectly healthy sentient being, hanging it upside-down, and slashing its throat open just so someone can eat its flesh. To each his or her own, but I'll stick to my pea protein shakes.

Vegan.
Noun. Derived from the Mohegan phrase "Wey eehbgan" which loosely translates into English as "bad hunter".

Reactions: Farnox
Ha. It's an argument I've come to accept I'll never win. For the life of me, I can't understand taking a perfectly healthy sentient being, hanging it upside-down, and slashing its throat open just so someone can eat its flesh. To each his or her own, but I'll stick to my pea protein shakes.
Fun Fact: I used to know a vegan who worked as a meat cutter. He was also one heck of a knife sharpener, who used to sharpen my kitchen knives.

Perhaps you don't know this, but they have this thing called "batting practice" where they use dozens and dozens of balls every day. Many of those balls each day are either hit over the fence into the stands or are hit foul into the stands (although the new nets they are using have probably cut down on that part of it) and are thus permenantly out of use.

Unfortunately, the source of all those "batting practice balls" is a complete mystery. I wonder where teams might get them from? Probably go down to the local Dick's once a week or so and buy a couple cases.

Perhaps you don't know this, but they have this thing called "batting practice" where they use dozens and dozens of balls every day. Many of those balls each day are either hit over the fence into the stands or are hit foul into the stands (although the new nets they are using have probably cut down on that part of it) and are thus permenantly out of use.

Unfortunately, the source of all those "batting practice balls" is a complete mystery. I wonder where teams might get them from? Probably go down to the local Dick's once a week or so and buy a couple cases.
But that still doesn't explain a ball being taken out of play every single time it sniffs the ground. It never used to be that way so why now?

Look at the bright side. Car companies, Volvo is one, are eliminating leather seats in their cars. There will be lots of cow hides that would go wasted that can now become a baseball that gets used one time.

See, there's always a silver lining.
bring back those awesome vinyl seats in all colors

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
As for the cows, I'm sure those cows are being slaughtered anyway for the meat. It's not like the are using the cows just for baseballs and throwing the rest of the animal away.
Yep. There are way more hides than used for leather. My in-laws raise beef cattle and are eco-conscious as well as business savvy. They've tried to find someone to take their hides - even for free - and found only one guy who could take a few. Almost all go to waste. The cost of turning hides into leather is prohibitively high and heavily dependent on chemicals.

But that still doesn't explain a ball being taken out of play every single time it sniffs the ground. It never used to be that way so why now?

Well they have surely gone too far to the extreme, but the simple answer is that in the hand of a pitcher who knows what to do with it a scuffed baseball or a baseball with a small cut on the surface can act completely differently than a new, pristine baseball. Back in the day pitchers used to want balls to stay in play as long as possible, because they could gain an advantage using a slightly damaged ball. It's why some pitchers used to use an emery board to scuff up balls, and why that is against the rules.

It's been so long since that was the case that my guess would be that most guys today wouldn't know what to do, but rest assured that if they started keeping scuffed balls in the game they'd figure it out pretty quickly.

we used to go to pirate games and play a game called "mound ball." Basically you throw a buck in every 1/2 inning and take turns. when it's your turn, after the last out if the ball ends up on the mound (has to be in the dirt) you win the pot. This wasnt that long ago, 90s where in a Major league game, often times the pitcher would leave the ball for the next inning.

Now if the last out was in the outfield you had no chance but if the 3rd out was a strikeout, sometimes the catcher would roll it back to the mound, that was your best chance. obviously this game is irrelevant now, the thought of a pitcher starting an inning with a ball used last 1/2 inning isnt even thinkable.

the avg lifespan of a baseball was 9 pitches but that stat is outdated as heck becuase now, i'd guess a baseball in a major league game lasts 4-5 pitches at most.. It is silly how many balls they go thru.

Reactions: pittdan77
I'd prefer to push an 8 year old out of the way in the stands to get mine.
i agree. kids need to learn to "Earn" it by catching it on the fly. Having an adult catching it then handing it over takes away the fun of it.. like letting a kid win in board games. it makes em soft.

ADVERTISEMENT