ADVERTISEMENT

OT Movie Greyhound

TFBaum

Junior
Jan 22, 2020
I am so glad they made this movie not many understand how intense the Battle of the Atlantic was. What doesn’t get reported is if Ireland would have permitted British naval bases on their western shore it would have dramatically altered the battle.

Had England not systematically abused and deliberately engaged in practices over 300 years designed to subjugate and destroy the Irish, resulting in millions of needless deaths and displacement—- maybe Ireland would have been inclined to assist England. Otherwise too bad for the English people.

Had England not systematically abused and deliberately engaged in practices over 300 years designed to subjugate and destroy the Irish, resulting in millions of needless deaths and displacement—- maybe Ireland would have been inclined to assist England. Otherwise too bad for the English people.
I totally understand why the Irish government didn’t provide the bases. Unfortunately a lot of US sailors died. Both combat and merchant.

Truth.

And when is the next vote for Scotland to leave the UK?

Feel free to correct me but didn’t Germany hope to entice Ireland to be on their side or remain neutral because of their hatred of the English and their hope to gain independence? Or maybe that was the First World War.

Feel free to correct me but didn’t Germany hope to entice Ireland to be on their side or remain neutral because of their hatred of the English and their hope to gain independence? Or maybe that was the First World War.
Both wars the Germans reached out to the Irish. I totally get the Irish hate for the English.

I remember when Prince Charles came to the 'Burgh and the Irish Wolfhound CLub protested outside the (Vista?) Hotel with dogs on leashes. Quiet but effective. Certainly memorable to this Hibernian.

The Republic of Ireland was in fact a neutral country in WWII.

I remember when Prince Charles came to the 'Burgh and the Irish Wolfhound CLub protested outside the (Vista?) Hotel with dogs on leashes. Quiet but effective. Certainly memorable to this Hibernian.
When was this event? I never heard of the Irish Wolfhound club.

The Republic of Ireland was in fact a neutral country in WWII.
The failure that nobody really discusses was the British Navy felt submarines were beneath them at the start of the war. No true sailor would go underwater.

I am so glad they made this movie not many understand how intense the Battle of the Atlantic was. What doesn’t get reported is if Ireland would have permitted British naval bases on their western shore it would have dramatically altered the battle.

If you wanted to open a thread on Ireland in WW-II, you could have avoided citing the movie Greyhound. I found it to be a very good movie... great effects in creating a sense of being in the North Atlantic, cruising with a large convoy of merchant ships, and the above/below water battle scenes. Really great, tense action depicting the terror of being in a frigid ocean and under vicious attack.

Particularly poignant to see young people of that era sacrificing for their country and laying it all on the line... all so that punks of the 21st Century can hate on American, destroy private and public property... and attempting to destroy the culture and heritage of the greatest country in history. When I watch these idiots I feel like my father's 4 years of WW-II combat experience are being systematically gutted and disrespected by these anarchist/marxists.

If you wanted to open a thread on Ireland in WW-II, you could have avoided citing the movie Greyhound. I found it to be a very good movie... great effects in creating a sense of being in the North Atlantic, cruising with a large convoy of merchant ships, and the above/below water battle scenes. Really great, tense action depicting the terror of being in a frigid ocean and under vicious attack.

Particularly poignant to see young people of that era sacrificing for their country and laying it all on the line... all so that punks of the 21st Century can hate on American, destroy private and public property... and attempting to destroy the culture and heritage of the greatest country in history. When I watch these idiots I feel like my father's 4 years of WW-II combat experience are being systematically gutted and disrespected by these anarchist/marxists.
I spent 10 years of my life in the 2nd Fleet on a submarine. The North Atlantic is an incredible body of water. But I was trained to hunt Soviet boomers. I am not Irish but my time in the U.K. the mid to late 1980’s I understood full well the tensions and reasons why the Irish had a pure dislike for the English. I was only stating a fact that we were taught.

Great point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT