ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Najee Harris

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Played as hard today as any Steeler I have ever seen play.

It must be extremely frustrating to play that hard and get so little results.

In his post game interview, Ben offered that Harris needs to turn around more quickly on passing plays And realize that defenders will be on him more quickly than they were in college.

Ben immediately pivoted to having to be better himself and shouldered the blame.

In the Harris post game interview,he was asked about what Ben said (without the question including Ben).

It was easy to see that Harris was rightfully irritated. If I had busted my ass to the extent he did, I would not want to be hearing that shit either.

Ben does not need to alienate such a player. Big mitake.

Last edited:
People feeling badly for Roethlisberger need to start feeling badly for Harris. On a lot of those sacks and pressures Roethlisberger had time to get rid of the ball but either pump faked or hesitated, he’s so slow and ponderous that the rush finally got to him.

Harris doesn’t have that luxury, these jokers on the OL are actually better pass blockers than run blockers, Harris literally has to do it all on his own.

In his post game interview, Ben offered that Harris needs to turn around more quickly on passing plays

If you rewatch the game in the second half, you can find at least two plays where Harris was wide open and looking Ben’s way - where Ben had time to get him the ball, but instead just held the ball too long and took a sack or tried to scramble and took a sack.

People feeling badly for Roethlisberger need to start feeling badly for Harris. On a lot of those sacks and pressures Roethlisberger had time to get rid of the ball but either pump faked or hesitated, he’s so slow and ponderous that the rush finally got to him.

Harris doesn’t have that luxury, these jokers on the OL are actually better pass blockers than run blockers, Harris literally has to do it all on his own.
This.

Didn’t see this before I posted my comment.

If you rewatch the game in the second half, you can find at least two plays where Harris was wide open and looking Ben’s way - where Ben had time to get him the ball, but instead just held the ball too long and took a sack or tried to scramble and took a sack.
scramble??? lmao. shuffled to fall down. he is worse than bledsoe mobility wise at this stage. there is zero lateral movement. ben is a statue in cement boots

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I also like what I’ve seen from Harris so far. To me, these current Steelers remind me of the early 2000s where they had a lot of young talent on both sides of the ball but were lacking a few pieces, including a QB.

Hopefully once they get Fitzpatrick and some of the receivers locked up this offseason, they can look to give Harris some help up front.

Big Ben is just Old Ben now it happens to us all
Initially I wanted to blame these struggles on his injury, but eventually him getting banged up this easily (last season, this season) has to be credited to his age.

I was willing to “go down with the ship,” and I knew it’d be an ugly descent, but I just didn’t think it’d happen this fast. I hope he can figure it out quick.

Looks like a bad pick. Not his fault, just needed to address bigger issues. Najee has 120 yards in 3 games, Bennie snell could have done that and we would have had a first rd pick. Heck, even James Conner could have done that.

Again, not his fault, the Steelers fault. God himself couldn’t run behind this line.

Looks like a bad pick. Not his fault, just needed to address bigger issues. Najee has 120 yards in 3 games, Bennie snell could have done that and we would have had a first rd pick. Heck, even James Conner could have done that.

Again, not his fault, the Steelers fault. God himself couldn’t run behind this line.
Well since he’d be able to see the entire field I’d have to respectfully disagree.

I think it's time we face it. Ben is the fourth best QB in our division. He's at the bottom of the pecking order now.

I have inside information, Rooney's are hoping Ben gets twisted up for a month sos they can play Rudolph, they don't want him hurt, just banged up sos Rudolph/Haskins can lead the team to a 1-5 stretch, by the time Ben comes back all the receivers will return and the Canadian Jet sweep will be in vogue, this will open up the middle for Ben's 4 yard throws into tight windows, that is why Ben wants Harris to turn his head very quickly......makes sense.

I have inside information, Rooney's are hoping Ben gets twisted up for a month sos they can play Rudolph, they don't want him hurt, just banged up sos Rudolph/Haskins can lead the team to a 1-5 stretch, by the time Ben comes back all the receivers will return and the Canadian Jet sweep will be in vogue, this will open up the middle for Ben's 4 yard throws into tight windows, that is why Ben wants Harris to turn his head very quickly......makes sense.
An injury will be reported, real or not , for Ben. Best thing they can do is put him on bench but don’t embarrass him by benching him so call it an injury.

I also like what I’ve seen from Harris so far. To me, these current Steelers remind me of the early 2000s where they had a lot of young talent on both sides of the ball but were lacking a few pieces, including a QB.

Hopefully once they get Fitzpatrick and some of the receivers locked up this offseason, they can look to give Harris some help up front.

I don't think there is a ton of young talent on this team. Yes, the bones are there on defense but you've got a few key contributors approaching their sell by date. And on offense, I think there is much work to be done. QB, line, and receivers are all in need of serious upgrades. At least they are set at rb, provided Najee doesn't take too much of a beating these next few years. They need to add at least another quality rb though.

There are enough holes where that Watt contract, which looked a little questionable at the time, will look even worse eventually. He's going to play his best on a losing, rebuilding team and probably be hurt or otherwise done before they get good again. If I'm the Steelers, I hope he comes back strong this season and then try to trade him in the off-season for multiple high draft picks. Then go out and seriously attempt to add top level offensive linemen and find the next QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
An injury will be reported, real or not , for Ben. Best thing they can do is put him on bench but don’t embarrass him by benching him so call it an injury.

Do you think he'd go for it though? He seems like the type who would turn that into a media circus filled with drama. But maybe that would be a good thing and trigger a management/coaching overhaul. It's what they need, a clean slate.

In his post game interview, Ben offered that Harris needs to turn around more quickly on passing plays And realize that defenders will be on him more quickly than they were in college.

Ben immediately pivoted to having to be better himself and shouldered the blame.

In the Harris post game interview,he was asked about what Ben said (without the question including Ben).

It was easy to see that Harris was rightfully irritated. If I had busted my ass to the extent he did, I would not want to be hearing that shit either.

Perhaps the 39 year old, 17 year vet should realize that he can no longer evade defenders like he used to and must now get rid of the ball. At least two of the sacks yesterday were on him.

Reactions: gary2
I don't think there is a ton of young talent on this team. Yes, the bones are there on defense but you've got a few key contributors approaching their sell by date. And on offense, I think there is much work to be done. QB, line, and receivers are all in need of serious upgrades. At least they are set at rb, provided Najee doesn't take too much of a beating these next few years. They need to add at least another quality rb though.

There are enough holes where that Watt contract, which looked a little questionable at the time, will look even worse eventually. He's going to play his best on a losing, rebuilding team and probably be hurt or otherwise done before they get good again. If I'm the Steelers, I hope he comes back strong this season and then try to trade him in the off-season for multiple high draft picks. Then go out and seriously attempt to add top level offensive linemen and find the next QB.
I guess I just have more trust than others here in the front office and coaching staff being able to retool the roster relatively quickly, provided Colbert is still the GM

On offense, they have some great young receivers, a stud running back, a tight end with a lot of potential (Freiermuth), and one offensive lineman that I think will collect a few Pro Bowls down the line (Dotson). I agree with the defense, the bones are there (Watt, Bush, Highsmith, Sutton, Fitzpatrick) but needs some work. Definitely needs more, like you said, but I think there’s some pieces to work with.

The reason drafting Harris first instead of a tackle is that the OL can be rebuilt over the next year or two but the chance to draft someone as special as Najee is unlikely to come around again. I tooks like a tough year or two is coming for the Steelers but Najee is a keeper.

Ben held on to the ball way too long and took more sacks than I have seen in his entire career. Either he isnt spotting open receivers or he doesnt trust his arm to get it there. I get we were down 2-3 starting receivers most of the game but come on man. this team is looking like a 6-11 or 5-12 team right now.

Perhaps the 39 year old, 17 year vet should realize that he can no longer evade defenders like he used to and must now get rid of the ball. At least two of the sacks yesterday were on him.
Agree

The reason drafting Harris first instead of a tackle is that the OL can be rebuilt over the next year or two but the chance to draft someone as special as Najee is unlikely to come around again. I tooks like a tough year or two is coming for the Steelers but Najee is a keeper.
Agree - A special player

I don't like picking rbs ahead of ol. Typically you get what the Steelers are getting. Not many rbs who can run well with no blocking. A ton of average rbs have good careers behind a good ol. But in their defense there were no highly rated tackles left. The best center was picked about 14 spots after their pick so it wasn't so easy to pass on the rb, but let's be honest they were picking him regardless. They should have traded down and picked the center

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Harris, right now, is a very special player.

maybe a year of beat down takes that out of him. Someho, I don’t think it will.

Hall of Fame quarterbacks should NEVER give advice to rookie running backs, so their feelings don't get hurt

Reactions: therod
Not the in post game interviews. That is not exactly giving advice.

Agree?
There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Ben said.

Here's it is synced to the question Ben got about Najee.

Youtube won't allow the embed. Timestamp is @2:48. Pull out the quote you have an issue with.

Harris might be special but he was not viewed by most as a truly special back, proof is no one picked him before the Steelers. Barkley was viewed as a special rb and was a top 5 pick. Also picking the rb before the line is ass backwards. The rb won't have success without the ol, the rb has a much shorter shelf life and the ol takes longer to develope than the rb

Last edited:

The dl needs completely rebuilt as does the cbs. Maybe they can get by with Sutton if they have a stud

Maybe but you need to go hard at OL picks. This past draft was the draft to do it because there were so many quality OL-men available. Unless the Steelers catch lightening in a bottle with a QB pick next year, Harris will be used up before the team has a chance to be good again.

Maybe but you need to go hard at OL picks. This past draft was the draft to do it because there were so many quality OL-men available. Unless the Steelers catch lightening in a bottle with a QB pick next year, Harris will be used up before the team has a chance to be good again.
Harris was picked on need and based on helping the team win this year. He might end up the best player available but they were picking him even if one of the better ol fell

And Harris is already 24 years old. It will be criminal to give him a second contract. He's a great player but the economics / game theory used to take him were completely idiotic.

Reactions: pittdan77
Harris was picked on need and based on helping the team win this year. He might end up the best player available but they were picking him even if one of the better ol fell
I'd buy that if there weren't plenty of FA RB's sitting around prior to that draft. If you think you're making a 1-year run, you go pay a guy to do that. The only way Harris made any sense is if he's going to line up under center next year. He's going to be a wasted pick who can't wait to get out of town, now.

This was the kind of guy they should have picked when it was obvious that Bell was going to hold out.

Might go back and find some of the "you never coached or ran a team so stfu and don't question them!" posts which were directed at me. I love posting my receipts.

Reactions: pittdan77
Harris has been great! If this season goes the way it looks and they have a high pick, I would rather they draft a tackle than a QB. Their offensive line is so devoid of talent, they need a big upgrade so bad on the offensive line.

Harris might be special but he was not viewed by most as a truly special back, proof is no one picked him before the Steelers. Barkley was viewed as a special rb and was a top 5 pick. Also picking the rb before the line is ass backwards. The rb won't have success without the ol, the rb has a much shorter shelf life and the ol takes longer to develope than the rb

I've always thought he was a special back.

You can argue they should have went OL. I think either decision has merit, but I like Najee. The biggest mistake was not nudging Ben into retirement, imo.

I've always thought he was a special back.

You can argue they should have went OL. I think either decision has merit, but I like Najee. The biggest mistake was not nudging Ben into retirement, imo.
Agree they should have walked away from Ben. Anyone with a brain knew this team wasn't a contender. If your in it to win championships, which is what the Steelers claim is the standard, then why bring him back to go 10-7. Now it's looking like 10-7 was a pipe dream

Reactions: TD_6082
I'd buy that if there weren't plenty of FA RB's sitting around prior to that draft. If you think you're making a 1-year run, you go pay a guy to do that. The only way Harris made any sense is if he's going to line up under center next year. He's going to be a wasted pick who can't wait to get out of town, now.
I think they thought he was better than any of the free agents available.

Although the production hasn't been there, Harris is proving to be a terrific player. By the time the Steelers get the offensive line rebuilt he will be at the end of his contract and running backs are bad investments on a second contract. As much as I like him as a player, he was a bad pick for where this team is right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT