ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Najee Harris

Harris has been a big zero so far. I really don't get all the love for him. He's done nothing. Sure, 50% isn't his fault but he has left lots of plays on the field. This year's draft looks horrid. The rookie of the year could be the punter. This draft is 1985 bad.

He's done nothing
I questioned the love after game one, he really didn't seem ready that first week, nor can I argue your points. However, I must say he does pass the "eye test" for a higher quality RB than we have seen in a while, IMO.

Although the production hasn't been there, Harris is proving to be a terrific player. By the time the Steelers get the offensive line rebuilt he will be at the end of his contract and running backs are bad investments on a second contract. As much as I like him as a player, he was a bad pick for where this team is right now.
It won’t take 5 years to rebuild the line.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Year 1 is a waste. It may take another year or two to get it built putting him in year four. Not the end of his contract, but potentially three wasted years.
Year one has 14 games to go. Who’s to say how much improvement the OLine will show. You are really reaching here.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think they thought he was better than any of the free agents available.
There is no doubt he is. Look, the Steelers needed to fix the OL and have RB's to compliment the offense to be able to compete this year. That's the point. So they did go get a fantastic young RB and then looked at their OL bench and decided that was good enough. Drafted a guard to play center. That's a colossal mistake when you know your hobbled, aging, future HOF QB can't take the abuse.

Year one has 14 games to go. Who’s to say how much improvement the OLine will show. You are really reaching here.
There isn't enough talent on this OL to get that much better. With the exception of two or three young guys, the room is full of guys that have been nothing but backups and journeyman. They're going to tinker with who is playing before the next game. Don't be shocked if Hassenauer is at Center this week. Green hasn't played well.

Not a big of a reach to think this offensive line is going to get significantly better. They lack talent and depth. Even if they do show up, this isn't a division contender let alone a Super Bowl contender. That doesn't change my opinion on Harris this year is a wasted year. You draft a guy like that to help put you over the top, not to finish around at best .500.

Reactions: pittdan77
Not a big of a reach to think this offensive line is going to get significantly better. They lack talent and depth. Even if they do show up, this isn't a division contender let alone a Super Bowl contender. That doesn't change my opinion on Harris this year is a wasted year. You draft a guy like that to help put you over the top, not to finish around at best .500.

I agree. There was a time when you could build around a RB. Not anymore without a quality QB. I would have thought they'd had drafted OL to benefit both. Najee won't be a bust though.

Year 1 is a waste. It may take another year or two to get it built putting him in year four. Not the end of his contract, but potentially three wasted years.
It's very likely that it takes another two seasons at least. The Steelers may spend next year's first on a QB, hopefully they don't have to move up to get him. Thats year two. Maybe they sign some fa but if they draft a QB it could easily be 2023 or 2024 before the line is good. They should be able to make some changes and get some experience that it goes from horrible to just bad next year though
There is no doubt he is. Look, the Steelers needed to fix the OL and have RB's to compliment the offense to be able to compete this year. That's the point. So they did go get a fantastic young RB and then looked at their OL bench and decided that was good enough. Drafted a guard to play center. That's a colossal mistake when you know your hobbled, aging, future HOF QB can't take the abuse.
I agree with you completely. If I was the GM I would have done everything in my power to get two stud ol prospects and then added a fa running back and then one in rounds 4 through 7. I think Harris and friermuth are going to be at least solid NFL starters but I just believe you build from QB then ol then dl and cb. All the other spots can be found cheaper in fa and later in the draft.

It's very likely that it takes another two seasons at least. The Steelers may spend next year's first on a QB, hopefully they don't have to move up to get him. Thats year two. Maybe they sign some fa but if they draft a QB it could easily be 2023 or 2024 before the line is good. They should be able to make some changes and get some experience that it goes from horrible to just bad next year though

I agree with you completely. If I was the GM I would have done everything in my power to get two stud ol prospects and then added a fa running back and then one in rounds 4 through 7. I think Harris and friermuth are going to be at least solid NFL starters but I just believe you build from QB then ol then dl and cb. All the other spots can be found cheaper in fa and later in the draft.
Harris looks like he will be a very good running back. But he caught 14 passes for an offense that scored 10 points on Sunday. An offense does not need a very good running back to score 10 points.

An injury will be reported, real or not , for Ben. Best thing they can do is put him on bench but don’t embarrass him by benching him so call it an injury.
Why any subterfuge? He is washed up. Off with the helmet, 3rd string.

I love Najee.

Never going to make it! By the time that o line can block, Tomlin will have beat him to hell and back, mark it down. He will be beaten down by 25. Should have built that o line this off season if you were bringing Ben back , waste of a good RB behind that line. Ben, Tomlin, GM all need to retire together

I agree with @Zeldas Open Roof, Harris is awesome but we don’t need him. Same with TJ Watt. We are a lot of players away from being a legit SB contender and the biggest is QB. Mahomes, Herbert, Mayfield, Jackson and that’s just the AFC.
We need to rebuild

I agree with @Zeldas Open Roof, Harris is awesome but we don’t need him. Same with TJ Watt. We are a lot of players away from being a legit SB contender and the biggest is QB. Mahomes, Herbert, Mayfield, Jackson and that’s just the AFC.
We need to rebuild

Even rebuilding teams have some good players. You don't rebuild by turning over the entire 53 man roster. You do it by methodically identifying the weakest players and drafting/developing/signing players to replace them. The Steelers are potentially 2 years from being a double-digit win team again. With a new QB and an average OL, plus a great defense, they can win a lot of games. And the defense can help a young QB develop by not putting them in impossible positions every week; look at Ben's early career and how little he had to do compared to 2017.

You don't rebuild by letting one of the best pass rushers in the league leave in the prime of his career.

Looks like a bad pick. Not his fault, just needed to address bigger issues. Najee has 120 yards in 3 games, Bennie snell could have done that and we would have had a first rd pick. Heck, even James Conner could have done that.

Again, not his fault, the Steelers fault. God himself couldn’t run behind this line.
Bad pick...who do you take there, the seventh or eighth best OT? Harris will be a much bigger part of the rebuild than any slug Olineman...if you can't see he's a baller, you're either not paying attention or don't know football. This team can be fixed with a couple of off-season moves...one includes letting the quarterback walk.

Bad pick...who do you take there, the seventh or eighth best OT? Harris will be a much bigger part of the rebuild than any slug Olineman...if you can't see he's a baller, you're either not paying attention or don't know football. This team can be fixed with a couple of off-season moves...one includes letting the quarterback walk.

Stay tuned ..... Nobody said he wasn't good

The reason drafting Harris first instead of a tackle is that the OL can be rebuilt over the next year or two but the chance to draft someone as special as Najee is unlikely to come around again. I tooks like a tough year or two is coming for the Steelers but Najee is a keeper.
By the time the Steelers picked in the first round the top 5 OT's were already off the board. Getting the clear cut best RB in the draft...which also happened to be a position of need...was a great move.

Reactions: 303vND
By the time the Steelers picked in the first round the top 5 OT's were already off the board. Getting the clear cut best RB in the draft...which also happened to be a position of need...was a great move.
Check the roster of all the Steeler Super Bowls or even AFC championship games. I think the only first round OLineman on any roster was Leon Searcy. You can build a line thru later draft choices and free agency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT