ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NBA Defense

Yup. No defense in the NBA. None.

I was watching the beginning of the clippers/Lakers game last night...terrible shots and throwing the ball all over the place.

I’m sorry, I don’t want to watch Blake griffin go ISO on someone and shoot a 22 foot jumper.

The NBA has improved, but it is sad that college teams play more fundamentally sound basketball.

I was watching the beginning of the clippers/Lakers game last night...terrible shots and throwing the ball all over the place.

I’m sorry, I don’t want to watch Blake griffin go ISO on someone and shoot a 22 foot jumper.

The NBA has improved, but it is sad that college teams play more fundamentally sound basketball.

This is absolutely incorrect.

College basketball sucks. It's unwatchable. If it weren't for people filling out brackets for March Madness it would be dying.

Good defense won't make me watch the NBA. Wake me up for Warriors/Cavs in June. Heck, I'll probably drive up for a game again. I appreciate the high level of skill in the NBA but there are far too many meaningless games for me to watch a Wednesday night Warriors/Rockets game.

Like I said, the Ball Show will be must see TV this year.

Real shame what happened to Gordon Haywood on opening night.

But what I am most excited for is my childhood team may finally start turning the corner and can't wait to see how the Sixers develop. They have been Sam Bowied the past 2 years.

Like I said, the Ball Show will be must see TV this year.

Real shame what happened to Gordon Haywood on opening night.

But what I am most excited for is my childhood team may finally start turning the corner and can't wait to see how the Sixers develop. They have been Sam Bowied the past 2 years.

Trust the Process

Good defense won't make me watch the NBA. Wake me up for Warriors/Cavs in June. Heck, I'll probably drive up for a game again. I appreciate the high level of skill in the NBA but there are far too many meaningless games for me to watch a Wednesday night Warriors/Rockets game.

And this is different from college, how? Where most of the games are meaningless crap between mediocre teams?

And this is different from college, how? Where most of the games are meaningless crap between mediocre teams?

When pitt was even mediocre, a matchup between a #15 or #20 team was far more exciting than the Bucks vs timberwolves.

I would watch the number 15 team vs 25 team, or the number 10 team vs someone just outside the top 25 any day over some boring mid February nba game.

The conference finals and finals are great, but the season is FAR too long.

Also, if you find college basketball boring, why are you posting here and why are you posting about the NBA?

When pitt was even mediocre, a matchup between a #15 or #20 team was far more exciting than the Bucks vs timberwolves.

I would watch the number 15 team vs 25 team, or the number 10 team vs someone just outside the top 25 any day over some boring mid February nba game.

The conference finals and finals are great, but the season is FAR too long.

Also, if you find college basketball boring, why are you posting here and why are you posting about the NBA?

Well, yes. But I have an investment in Pitt doing well. But most match ups between non-Pitt college teams are far less entertaining than a NBA game.

I always post about the NBA. I made this particular post because most of the anti-NBA posts here are ill-informed and rely on stupid arguments like "hurr no defense."

Which is why I watch less and less regular season basketball. But I have a home team to root for and if you factor out 9-10 bought wins over cupcakes (in most years), college teams really play around a 20 game schedule and you have to win 10-12 of those to make the NCAAT so those games have far more meaning than a regular season NBA game.

College basketball sucks. It's unwatchable. If it weren't for people filling out brackets for March Madness it would be dying.

College basketball IS dying. I mean, even if you asked even a semi-informed college basketball fan, outside of their favorite team, could they name 10 other players, 5? I'm interested to see the impact on the college game when the 1 and done rule is rescinded, which is going to happen soon. Adam Silver has been talking about getting rid of that rule and really expanding the G league (NBA minor league). When all of the high-end talent is gone from college basketball (at least in the freshman class), I don't know how it will impact the game. In some respect, I guess fans will have a stronger connection with the players, as there will be much less roster turnover. But the product will suffer.

College basketball IS dying. I mean, even if you asked even a semi-informed college basketball fan, outside of their favorite team, could they name 10 other players, 5? I'm interested to see the impact on the college game when the 1 and done rule is rescinded, which is going to happen soon. Adam Silver has been talking about getting rid of that rule and really expanding the G league (NBA minor league). When all of the high-end talent is gone from college basketball (at least in the freshman class), I don't know how it will impact the game. In some respect, I guess fans will have a stronger connection with the players, as there will be much less roster turnover. But the product will suffer.

It is. Which is why you have seen Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale come out so ridiculous in there defense of Rick Pitino and Arizona. As these icons continue to crash, it is their meal ticket. The NFL realizes it needs the NCAA, so it treads lightly and self servingly supports and uses at the same time, college football. The NBA now realizes it pretty much can identify the talent that can play in the NBA from HS and AAU, and slightly college Freshman, and 99.9% of the kids not on their radar by then are not going to be after their Jr and Sr years.

The One and Done has killed college basketball because from year to year, yeah the teams are the same, but the players are now completely faceless.

It is. Which is why you have seen Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale come out so ridiculous in there defense of Rick Pitino and Arizona. As these icons continue to crash, it is their meal ticket. The NFL realizes it needs the NCAA, so it treads lightly and self servingly supports and uses at the same time, college football. The NBA now realizes it pretty much can identify the talent that can play in the NBA from HS and AAU, and slightly college Freshman, and 99.9% of the kids not on their radar by then are not going to be after their Jr and Sr years.

The One and Done has killed college basketball because from year to year, yeah the teams are the same, but the players are now completely faceless.

Bilas especially has been so over the top with the Pitino stuff..he's a smart guy, he gets it. In many respects, the NBA has never been more popular. It is a 12 month a year sport, its social media presence with the under 30 crowd is off the charts. And you would think that would translate into basketball across the board being more popular, but the college game is getting squeezed from both ends. I love college hoops, its probably my favorite sport. But it's in a bad place right now.

Reactions: freddietee511
Bilas especially has been so over the top with the Pitino stuff..he's a smart guy, he gets it. In many respects, the NBA has never been more popular. It is a 12 month a year sport, its social media presence with the under 30 crowd is off the charts. And you would think that would translate into basketball across the board being more popular, but the college game is getting squeezed from both ends. I love college hoops, its probably my favorite sport. But it's in a bad place right now.

It is in a bad place. I am now less interested and invested in college hoops that at any time in my life since I was like 10 years old. I could care less. I couldn't name you who would be the 1st team All American team. I couldn't name you ONE person on a short list for Naismith player of the year. That is bad, if someone like me no longer knows this or cares, then the sport is really in trouble.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Getting rid of one and done won't hurt the college game at all. The game was fine when LeBron and Garnett skipped college. How much would LSU not having Ben Simmons have affected the game? Not much at all. It's not like 300 players a year will be skipping college, and by making those who come stay at least 2 years, the drain will be somewhat offset.

Getting rid of one and done won't hurt the college game at all. The game was fine when LeBron and Garnett skipped college. How much would LSU not having Ben Simmons have affected the game? Not much at all. It's not like 300 players a year will be skipping college, and by making those who come stay at least 2 years, the drain will be somewhat offset.

It wouldn't hurt the college game much. What would hurt the college game would be if say most of say, The Top 50-75 players went straight from HS to a more viable G league

Reactions: freddietee511
What would hurt the college game would be if say most of say, The Top 50-75 players went straight from HS to a more viable G league

Yeah, but that isn't going to happen. Because the only way for there to be 50-75 "available" jobs in the G League every year is for a large number of guys to wash out every year. If for a year or two 50-75 guys did go straight to the G League that would mean that a really high percentage of those guys were washing out every year, and it would soon become really easy for college coaches to convince a reasonably high percentage of those guys that they are better off developing for a couple of years in college and then getting their shot in the pros versus turning pro right away and being done a year or two later.

What would hurt the college game would be if say most of say, The Top 50-75 players went straight from HS to a more viable G league

Yeah, but that isn't going to happen. Because the only way for there to be 50-75 "available" jobs in the G League every year is for a large number of guys to wash out every year. If for a year or two 50-75 guys did go straight to the G League that would mean that a really high percentage of those guys were washing out every year, and it would soon become really easy for college coaches to convince a reasonably high percentage of those guys that they are better off developing for a couple of years in college and then getting their shot in the pros versus turning pro right away and being done a year or two later.

Yea, I agree. College basketball will be fine. But it doesn't have any room for "growth." I think it needs to realize its the NHL, a niche sport that is huge in a few places and people could care less (until March) everywhere else. It should just appeal to its base. The 30 second shot clock or going to 6 fouls isnt going to win more fans.

ADVERTISEMENT