ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Pittsburgh Maulers Colors

If you have any interest in the old USFL go read "Football for a Buck" by Jeff Pearlman, really really good read.

Reactions: OH Pete
If you have any interest in the old USFL go read "Football for a Buck" by Jeff Pearlman, really really good read.
Its on my list to read next. Currently reading The Mosquito Bowl by Buzz Bissinger (author of Friday Night Lights). It tells the story of a football game played by college football and NFL players drafted into the military and stationed in the South Pacific. i'm about halfway done. Great book so far.

in my younger days, i could do that with college football on a saturday. life before kids, drinking beers and being in your 20's with crap to do? oh yeah, zero issues wasting away a saturday watching 3-4 college football games..

miss those days..
Even then, I could only do that with bad weather. With bad weather, I could see myself watching XFL football on a Sunday in February too.

And another thing, I hate when they say NFL Playoffs are the best time of the year for football. NO! I'd rather it be a random weekend in October, with a Pitt game and a Steelers game and other games all day and night to look at if I want to.

Even then, I could only do that with bad weather. With bad weather, I could see myself watching XFL football on a Sunday in February too.

And another thing, I hate when they say NFL Playoffs are the best time of the year for football. NO! I'd rather it be a random weekend in October, with a Pitt game and a Steelers game and other games all day and night to look at if I want to.
i'll get heat for this but "They" say that the first day of the NCAA tournament is great. i dont like it, way too many bad teams playing and lopsided games..

I like the Sweet 16 day much better. If i am watching Iona or Norfolk state play basketball and lose by 40, i dont consider that a great day of sports..

i'll get heat for this but "They" say that the first day of the NCAA tournament is great. i dont like it, way too many bad teams playing and lopsided games..

I like the Sweet 16 day much better. If i am watching Iona or Norfolk state play basketball and lose by 40, i dont consider that a great day of sports..
Its great because of all the games to keep track of on your brackets. But generally you are right, the basketball itself is better in the sweet 16.

Have you ever been to a party for that 1st day though? With betting on games and block pools etc. and a bracket and prizes at the end, and pretty much drink all day. I went to a thing like that once at a Sons of Italy club.

Have you ever been to a party for that 1st day though? With betting on games and block pools etc. and a bracket and prizes at the end, and pretty much drink all day. I went to a thing like that once at a Sons of Italy club.
well that sounds fun but is it fun because you are at a party and drinking all day with block pools or because Oral Roberts is on at 11:50am and down by 20 before noon?

well that sounds fun but is it fun because you are at a party and drinking all day with block pools or because Oral Roberts is on at 11:50am and down by 20 before noon?
You're right, it's fun and has nothing to do with the games, it could be D3 or a high school tournament and it would be just as fun.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I'm not sure I understand what story they were "creating". Are you suggesting that they were creating a story about Caitlin Jenner? Or Noah Galloway? Or the USFL? Seems to me that all 3 of those were stories that didn't need to be created.
I am not sure what their show about the USFL said, because I stopped watching espn years ago when it no longer reported the sports news for the day and became involved in politics. All I know is, since ABC and Disney got involved, espn became to "woke" for me to watch.
The point that I was trying to make was that most people totally did not agree with the giving of an award for "courage" to Bruce Jenner, because he decided to become a woman. Meanwhile, one of the other people being considered for the award was an Army veteran who lost an arm and a leg in a war. For an overwhelming majority of the people in this country, it was an easy decision.
espn decided to appease its "woke culture" and gave the award to Jenner.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
I am not sure what their show about the USFL said, because I stopped watching espn years ago when it no longer reported the sports news for the day and became involved in politics. All I know is, since ABC and Disney got involved, espn became to "woke" for me to watch.
The point that I was trying to make was that most people totally did not agree with the giving of an award for "courage" to Bruce Jenner, because he decided to become a woman. Meanwhile, one of the other people being considered for the award was an Army veteran who lost an arm and a leg in a war. For an overwhelming majority of the people in this country, it was an easy decision.
I’m genuinely curious here and not trying to troll: What is your definition of woke? When I first heard the word a decade ago, it was used to describe white people who were aware of the different ways different state governments and the federal government discriminated against Black people. Now, people seem to use it to describe anything socially progressive.

Also, FWIW, I can’t stand Caitlyn Jenner and agree she had no business winning that award.

Ok boomer.

The USFL documentary was 2009. They were already woke back then? Sure, to me it's laughable that Bruce Jender became a man without a penis with hormone injections every week an got an award for it, but I don't care about award shows. I wonder if Bruce kept his penis, that's OK you know :)

I had a Maulers long sleeve T-shirt growing up, by the time I was old enough to fit into it the Maulers were long gone so it was probably a hand-me-down from one of my mom's friends' kids. The Maulers logo is a really solid logo.
My fiancé now wife bought me a Maulers T shirt in 1983-4 where the emblem collected sunlight and would glow in the dark. Glenn Carano to Mikey “Mumbles” Rozier. Best player on that team was Sam Bam Clancy who used that season to get an NFL gig.

I’m genuinely curious here and not trying to troll: What is your definition of woke? When I first heard the word a decade ago, it was used to describe white people who were aware of the different ways different state governments and the federal government discriminated against Black people. Now, people seem to use it to describe anything socially progressive.
Actually, it had to do with social awareness. (It could apply the way you describe it, but generally people who apply it that narrowly do so sarcastically . . . and throw the term around as if akin to a profanity).

Last edited:
I had a Maulers long sleeve T-shirt growing up, by the time I was old enough to fit into it the Maulers were long gone so it was probably a hand-me-down from one of my mom's friends' kids. The Maulers logo is a really solid logo.
I had that shirt too, did it have USFL on the sleeves? I bought it when I went to a Maulers game, the one I went to they beat the Oakland Invaders 28-14 one of their 3 wins.

ADVERTISEMENT