ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Uniforms - Pirates edition

Dr. von Yinzer

Chancellor
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2010
WARNING:
This is a reasonably long post about uniforms, specifically the Pittsburgh Pirates’ new uniforms.

I do not wish to see anyone injured during the reading of this post and I definitely don’t want to see grown men reduced whining about the length of this post or its subject matter.

Therefore, if you’re not interested, please turn around now while you still can! As for the rest of you, may God have mercy on your soul.

—-

Well, it appears the Pirates are going to unveil their new road uniforms today. I haven’t seen them yet, but I have seen some renderings and if they look like the renderings, I think the Bucs’ new uniforms going to be pretty sharp.

2020-new-pittsburgh-pirates-uniform-sportslogosnet-590x569.jpg

The team is still going to still stink of course, but they’re going to look pretty good doing it.

I think the most interesting thing about them so far is that it looks like they are getting rid of the overly stylized numbers.

I’m really glad to see that subtle but important change because I’ve never really cared for those numbers on the Pirates’ jerseys. It always looks like forced over-design to me. The sevens in particular always looked really weird - like truncated twos.

quizart-jung-ho-kang-5-1569127173.jpg

Also, they are getting rid of the so called, “bumblebee” throwback uniforms they’ve worn on home Sundays in recent years.

Pirates-Retro-1.jpg

There are going to be a lot of nostalgic Pirates fans that are going to hate that news, but I’m not one of them.

I did like the 1971 throwbacks they used to wear on home Sundays. I thought those looked very clean and classic. Conversely, I think the bumblebee uniforms look like sloppy costumes and are beneath the dignity of such a historic organization.

Pittsburgh-Pirates-Retro-Sunday-Alternate-Uniform-2014.jpg

The bumblebees looked especially ridiculous with the way players wear uniforms now, especially their ball caps and pants. When players wore their ball caps high on their heads, the pillbox ball caps worked. However, now, they all wear their hats low, which takes away the entire pillbox effect and makes the whole thing look ridiculous.

24YANKEES3-jumbo.jpg

I particularly hope to never see those hideous pillbox ball caps ever again — though I’m sure we will at some point.

When you are an organization with a horrible roster, a murky future, and an uneven recent past, of course you are going to resort to reaching into your championship past to sell tickets. That is why we will surely see those abominations again, but I personally hate ‘em.

In the bumblebees’ place, sort of, they are adding a black road uniform to go along with grays that are basically a replica of the grays the Bucs wore during the Jim Leyland era.

0002668_barry-bonds-of-the-pirates.jpeg

Both read script “Pittsburgh” across the chest and both of those uniforms will be worn strictly on the road. The black road uniforms also make a subtle change to the snarling pirate, giving him a gold bandanna instead of the red one. Again, that’s a good move that many will overlook. I would still rather see the handsome pirate return, but it’s a nice start.

pirates-new-logo-2020-sportslogosnet-590x549.jpg

Unfortunately, they are going to retain their other black alternative uniform — the one with the gold P on the chest. I would imagine those will now be worn for Sunday home games.

Pirates-Cubs-Baseball-68-1575822547.jpg

Now, I always liked the idea of those black uniforms with the gold P trimmed in white. However, I never cared for their execution. It always seemed like the gold P did not match the gold numbers or the gold name plates on the back.

usa_today_12184938.0.jpg

Now, why the Pirates couldn’t address a simple detail like that is anyone’s guess. In that way, they are just like Pitt.

images

I have also seen an additional ball cap which is like the modernized ball cap that has the gold P with the white trim around it. However, the new cap replaces the white trim with an additional thin gold trim around the P. It’s not the worst thing I’ve ever seen, but it’s not an improvement over what they already have either.

It’s more than a style thing too. It just feels like a very lateral change.

I think they should have continued with the theme on their jerseys and done a black pair with gold trim. I think people would love to buy that ball cap.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2020/01/23/pirates-release-new-uniform-tease-a-second/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.