ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL looking at a schedule “overhaul”

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I think overhaul is overstating it. When I saw the headline, i got a bit excited. I was thinking that the NHL was going big. But of course they are not. All they are looking to do is have local rivals play more often and hopefully generate more interest that way. When Sid and Geno retire, 8 games vs the Blue Jackets instead of 3 aren’t gonna cut it.

If I’m the NHL, I’m going outside the box like the NBA has thought about doing and going with a Euro soccer style competition. Problem is, I don’t know how they could do it. I’d like to see an abbreviated league schedule so that every game matters and every goal matters. Think about the excitement for a Tuesday night game in November if the stakes were double what they are now. That’s part of the lure with American gridiron football and world football. Every game matters, whereas other sports that have an 80 or 162 game season have half their schedule where most fans don’t care.

An abbreviated NHL league schedule and a cup competition running concurrently at the same time and giving each team roughly 80 games of gate revenue would be ideal. You’d have the Stanley Cup as the big prize and then a second cup, call it the NHL Cup as a secondary competition. I just don’t know how you’d get there with 32 teams.

Come on Bettman. You can do better. You have a great sport. Be forward thinking. Time to change your Mickey Mouse garage run league into a good one.

Anyone have an SMF type deep thought?

Reactions: jctrack
Garbage. I understand "rivalries" and such, but say you play the Rangers 8 times in a season. Then you are matched up against them in a 7 game series. One.......aside from the boredom from the same opponent, you are denying fanbases from getting to see a Connor McDavid or Jason Robertson or many of the Western stars if you are in the east.

That's just too much.

They did this a few years ago to cut down on travel. They change the format it seems every 5 years .

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I think the Penguins play the eastern teams too much already. It’s boring even before the playoffs, then you end up playing (ideally, multiple) potential long series with those same teams. Only (ideally, again) in the finals do you get any extended look at a western team, and that team is SO unknown to fans that it may as well be like they’re playing a foreign team in the Olympics. I remember when the Pens played Nashville and I never really became familiar with the team up through the end of the series.

I think the Penguins play the eastern teams too much already. It’s boring even before the playoffs, then you end up playing (ideally, multiple) potential long series with those same teams. Only (ideally, again) in the finals do you get any extended look at a western team, and that team is SO unknown to fans that it may as well be like they’re playing a foreign team in the Olympics. I remember when the Pens played Nashville and I never really became familiar with the team up through the end of the series.
Yeah I don’t know. You can shorten the season to a 62 game season and you play everyone in a home and home. But again, that defeats my purpose of a 40 game season. 62 games is still a lot. The covid year was great because every game mattered so much more.

The nhl has 32 teams; tailor made for 8 divisions of 4. That can generate some rivalries against regional rivals instead of having these 7-8 team mega divisions.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I’m normally pro-regionality and pro-tradition, but I disagree with this proposal. IMO, the worst thing that the league could do is not have McDavid, Crosby, and others not play in every arena each season. We already have the division-based playoff format, what more do they want?

I think overhaul is overstating it. When I saw the headline, i got a bit excited. I was thinking that the NHL was going big. But of course they are not. All they are looking to do is have local rivals play more often and hopefully generate more interest that way. When Sid and Geno retire, 8 games vs the Blue Jackets instead of 3 aren’t gonna cut it.

If I’m the NHL, I’m going outside the box like the NBA has thought about doing and going with a Euro soccer style competition. Problem is, I don’t know how they could do it. I’d like to see an abbreviated league schedule so that every game matters and every goal matters. Think about the excitement for a Tuesday night game in November if the stakes were double what they are now. That’s part of the lure with American gridiron football and world football. Every game matters, whereas other sports that have an 80 or 162 game season have half their schedule where most fans don’t care.

An abbreviated NHL league schedule and a cup competition running concurrently at the same time and giving each team roughly 80 games of gate revenue would be ideal. You’d have the Stanley Cup as the big prize and then a second cup, call it the NHL Cup as a secondary competition. I just don’t know how you’d get there with 32 teams.

Come on Bettman. You can do better. You have a great sport. Be forward thinking. Time to change your Mickey Mouse garage run league into a good one.

Great topic. You know I have some ideas.

The NHL's issue is similar to MLS. Too niche. Large popularity in some American markets but overall, the Average american doesn't watch NHL or MLS so my ideas are similar.

NHL needs a modified promotion/relegation system.

NHL "1" has 40 teams

NHL "2" has 20 teams

NHL "3" has 20 teams

The original 32 NHL members can never be relegated. 8 teams from NHL 2 play in NHL 1 every year. Of those 8, 2-3 will be relegated every year and 2-3 teams from NHL 2 will be promoted. What this does is that it puts 48 additional cities under the NHL umbrella with the dream of "making it" to NHL. So fans in Cleveland, Indy, Milwaukee, Louisville, even smaller towns like Hershey could have a team in NHL 2 or 3 and watch their team with the goal of making it. This makes those towns and those fans more invested in the NHL top division.

Also, I agree with FK in that it needs an FA Cup style competition. So does the NBA. The NBA wants to do it but doesn't want to use my recommendation of inviting EVERY pro team to the tournament. So you could have a Warriors @ Erie or Pens @ Hershey which would be a day folks in those towns would never forget. There's something about watching a Chelsea or Man City go into a 5K seat stadium and play a bunch of semi-pros. They play all reserves but still

The NHL makes most of their money from game day attendance, they won't cut from 82.
Right. But you didn’t read my post. What I’m suggesting is two competitions running at the same time. A shortened league schedule that’s equitable and balanced, and then another competition where there’s enough games where you’re up to 80-90 per franchise when you combine both competitions. You have the same gate revenue, and you have a 2nd trophy that can keep interest high in more NHL seasons

The NHL's issue is similar to MLS. Too niche. Large popularity in some American markets but overall, the Average american doesn't watch NHL or MLS so my ideas are similar.

NHL "1" has 40 teams

NHL "2" has 20 teams

NHL "3" has 20 teams

The original 32 NHL members can never be relegated. 8 teams from NHL 2 play in NHL 1 every year. Of those 8, 2-3 will be relegated every year and 2-3 teams from NHL 2 will be promoted. What this does is that it puts 48 additional cities under the NHL umbrella with the dream of "making it" to NHL. So fans in Cleveland, Indy, Milwaukee, Louisville, even smaller towns like Hershey could have a team in NHL 2 or 3 and watch their team with the goal of making it. This makes those towns and those fans more invested in the NHL top division.

Also, I agree with FK in that it needs an FA Cup style competition. So does the NBA. The NBA wants to do it but doesn't want to use my recommendation of inviting EVERY pro team to the tournament. So you could have a Warriors @ Erie or Pens @ Hershey which would be a day folks in those towns would never forget. There's something about watching a Chelsea or Man City go into a 5K seat stadium and play a bunch of semi-pros. They play all reserves but still
The NHL needs to be forward thinking. They had a 75 year head start on MLS and by some metrics MLS has passed them by. The old Canadian curmudgeons need to bite the bullet, forget about tradition and take their game to the next level. That tradition they’re holding onto hasn’t done squat to grow the game.

Pittsburgh has been an epicenter of sorts for NHL hockey for 40 years. In my mind I keep thinking that one day the NHL is going to figure it out and capture the imagination of American fans, and sadly it’s going to be after our generational stars are gone.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Right. But you didn’t read my post. What I’m suggesting is two competitions running at the same time. A shortened league schedule that’s equitable and balanced, and then another competition where there’s enough games where you’re up to 80-90 per franchise when you combine both competitions. You have the same gate revenue, and you have a 2nd trophy that can keep interest high in more NHL seasons
riiight.
Alot of mad scientists on this board.

Reactions: Team_Pitt_Fan
riiight.
Alot of mad scientists on this board.
Of course. We are a bunch of CEO’s in our own minds. Show me a good one who doesn’t want to evolve. Show me one who refused to evolve, and he/she is either unemployed or the business failed.

Silver at the NBA is running a league that’s thriving. Yet he’s not complacent and is looking at doing some of the things I suggest.

Yeah I don’t know. You can shorten the season to a 62 game season and you play everyone in a home and home. But again, that defeats my purpose of a 40 game season. 62 games is still a lot. The covid year was great because every game mattered so much more.
But it’s a good compromise. The teams don’t get as much TV money as the bigger sports and needs the regular season for income. So they need a higher number. That’s why the Pens signed Malkin and LeTang back, I’m sure they realize like we’re do that these guys, like Sid, get roughed up and play bad D and take bad penalties come playoff time, but needed their star power for the foot traffic from the regular customers throughout the season; they don’t count on the playoffs as much as we fans.

But I think there’d be more excitement playing every team equally and then concentrated series with a few once the playoffs begin. Today it’s meh to play the Flyers or Bruins and NY teams so much.

Of course. We are a bunch of CEO’s in our own minds. Show me a good one who doesn’t want to evolve. Show me one who refused to evolve, and he/she is either unemployed or the business failed.

Silver at the NBA is running a league that’s thriving. Yet he’s not complacent and is looking at doing some of the things I suggest.

The NBA's idea to have an FA Cup style competition is genius but I wished they'd incorporate my idea of allowing any American pro team/semi-pro team to enter. The David vs Goliath matchups are what make sports great and is what makes the NCAAT so attractive. I would also have the Final Four for this tournament one week after the NBA Finals in a non-NBA city. Imagine this being in Pittsburgh? They'd sell it out faster than Taylor Swift.

Also, for the NHL, I think they need to have an in-season "World Cup" every 4 years. Forget the Olympics. An in-season World Cup after the Super Bowl during the slow period of American sports can attract casual viewers. Playing it in August like they sometimes did or whatever that tournament they stupidly have during the Stanley Cup finals is doesnt register. I know, teams wont like it. So what. You need to grow the game. I'd watch that and yea, I doubt it would make me a hockey fan but it could bring some 10 year old kid to the game. Hockey desperately NEEDS a major international competition.

Also, while we're at it, they also need to do this for the World Baseball Classic every 4 years. Play it after the All-Star Game.

Reactions: TFloss
Garbage. I understand "rivalries" and such, but say you play the Rangers 8 times in a season. Then you are matched up against them in a 7 game series. One.......aside from the boredom from the same opponent, you are denying fanbases from getting to see a Connor McDavid or Jason Robertson or many of the Western stars if you are in the east.

That's just too much.

I dont follow hockey but if I did, I would 100% want to see my team play everyone every season. Playing our rival 2-3 times would be enough for me.

The NBA's idea to have an FA Cup style competition is genius but I wished they'd incorporate my idea of allowing any American pro team/semi-pro team to enter. The David vs Goliath matchups are what make sports great and is what makes the NCAAT so attractive. I would also have the Final Four for this tournament one week after the NBA Finals in a non-NBA city. Imagine this being in Pittsburgh? They'd sell it out faster than Taylor Swift.

Also, for the NHL, I think they need to have an in-season "World Cup" every 4 years. Forget the Olympics. An in-season World Cup after the Super Bowl during the slow period of American sports can attract casual viewers. Playing it in August like they sometimes did or whatever that tournament they stupidly have during the Stanley Cup finals is doesnt register. I know, teams wont like it. So what. You need to grow the game. I'd watch that and yea, I doubt it would make me a hockey fan but it could bring some 10 year old kid to the game. Hockey desperately NEEDS a major international competition.

Also, while we're at it, they also need to do this for the World Baseball Classic every 4 years. Play it after the All-Star Game.
I like your World Cup idea. People love olympic hockey. Well not all people. I was at a national meeting for my company when Crosby and Canada played the Us for the Gold medal in Vancouver. There were dozens of us watching in the resort pub, and even the gold medal game meant nothing to most of the people in that room. Try explaining hockey to someone from Georgia (they don’t even know they had a team at the time). Arkansas or Oklahoma.

We think the larger ice surface is why olympic hockey is great. And yes that’s part of it. But the other reason is that every game matters. Which is why we need a shortened NHL league season, and add a cup competition for the other 30 games or so. But your idea of an FA Cup won’t work. NHL owners aren’t going to give up gate revenue to go play the Hershey Bears in the Giant Center, and they won’t be happy drawing 8000 people for a Tuesday night game vs the Wheeling Nailers.

Biggest problem the NHL has is that the best teams in the regular season aren't all there at the end of the playoffs. You'll always have underdogs but in the NHL, it's almost like a war of attrition. Comes down to who is the most healthy some years. Easiest fix is to get rid of the goony, garage league stuff but that seems to be the off the table. I do understand that a league that doesn't have a gigantic revenue stream wants to localize its schedule to keep lower revenue teams afloat. It makes a ton of sense. Not sure how good it is for fans but it's better than no league at all.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I dont follow hockey but if I did, I would 100% want to see my team play everyone every season. Playing our rival 2-3 times would be enough for me.
My one thought for a cup competition is a 31 game schedule vs every other team in the league, and you keep standings and award a champion for 1st place. But that won’t work because half the teams and cities will lose interest pretty quickly when their team is out of it 10 games in.

You’d have to do a true cup, like a champions league draw or a World Cup type draw, and not an FA Cup type single elimination tourney.

4 groups of 8. Have a big made for tv show announcing the draw. Pots are determined by previous years Presidents cup standings. Play home and homes vs the other 3 teams in your group and then have 16 teams advance out of groups and into the knockouts. The problem with that is 16 teams will be knocked out after playing only 6 games, so again half the league owners are losing gate revenue. So there would have to be revenue sharing or a tourney tv deal that makes up for it.

How great would that be? All knockouts are home and home. Imagine a round of 8 home and home knockout vs the Caps or Flyers? Sign me up. And then the final is a neutral ice venue 1 game winner takes all. It could be a weekend celebration that replaces the all star weekend.

Neither the owners nor players want to drop the number of games because it would mean less revenue and less salary. I don't see that happening.

NHL "1" has 40 teams

NHL "2" has 20 teams

NHL "3" has 20 teams

Christ......

Reactions: pittdan77
I said this in another thread. It has always been like this for the most part. The West has been more wide open. Like I said, there are 10 teams in the NHL that have given up 100 goals, 8 of them in the West. Not taking anything away from Gretzky and the Oilers, but they got to pile up numbers against the West, while Mario had to manage the Patrick division, Montreal and Boston.

I like your World Cup idea. People love olympic hockey. Well not all people. I was at a national meeting for my company when Crosby and Canada played the Us for the Gold medal in Vancouver. There were dozens of us watching in the resort pub, and even the gold medal game meant nothing to most of the people in that room. Try explaining hockey to someone from Georgia (they don’t even know they had a team at the time). Arkansas or Oklahoma.

We think the larger ice surface is why olympic hockey is great. And yes that’s part of it. But the other reason is that every game matters. Which is why we need a shortened NHL league season, and add a cup competition for the other 30 games or so. But your idea of an FA Cup won’t work. NHL owners aren’t going to give up gate revenue to go play the Hershey Bears in the Giant Center, and they won’t be happy drawing 8000 people for a Tuesday night game vs the Wheeling Nailers.

The only hockey I ever watch is Olympic hockey. Something about countries competing just does it for me. Same with baseball (WBC). But I dont think they should use the Olympics to do this. For one, its often in too different of a time zone. And 2, you have less control.

I would set it up similar to the World Cup. Start it the day after the Super Bowl. 4 groups of 4. Round robin then 8 teams advance to Quarters. MWF and TThSa is Round Robin. Monday, Wednesday quarters and semis. Start the NHL season back up on Thursday. NHL games Thursday, Fri, Sat afternoon without the 2 teams in the final (they miss one regular season game, who cares). WC Final Saturday night at 8PM Eastern, middle of the night in Europe (but who cares, this is for the American audience). That's must see TV.

The only hockey I ever watch is Olympic hockey. Something about countries competing just does it for me. Same with baseball (WBC). But I dont think they should use the Olympics to do this. For one, its often in too different of a time zone. And 2, you have less control.

I would set it up similar to the World Cup. Start it the day after the Super Bowl. 4 groups of 4. Round robin then 8 teams advance to Quarters. MWF and TThSa is Round Robin. Monday, Wednesday quarters and semis. Start the NHL season back up on Thursday. NHL games Thursday, Fri, Sat afternoon without the 2 teams in the final (they miss one regular season game, who cares). WC Final Saturday night at 8PM Eastern, middle of the night in Europe (but who cares, this is for the American audience). That's must see TV.
Ok. I’m thinking big here. I love my group play cup idea! It would be incredible. Every game would be edge of seat viewing. Make goal differential matter in group play and then the knockout home and home aggregate. Call it the North American Cup. Winner would play in a World Cup the following year vs KHL team and other pro euro teams.

Ok. I’m thinking big here. I love my group play cup idea! It would be incredible. Every game would be edge of seat viewing. Make goal differential matter in group play and then the knockout home and home aggregate. Call it the North American Cup. Winner would play in a World Cup the following year vs KHL team and other pro euro teams.

Your FA Cup idea might be exciting for current fans but it wins no new ones. It depends on what their goal is. If ifs to grow the game, the idea stinks. If its to generate more money from a separate TV deal and give current fans something more exciting during the regular season, then its good.

Your FA Cup idea might be exciting for current fans but it wins no new ones. It depends on what their goal is. If ifs to grow the game, the idea stinks. If its to generate more money from a separate TV deal and give current fans something more exciting during the regular season, then its good.
Like I said, FA Cup won’t work for numerous reasons. Needs to be a World Cup/champions league group play format.

If your league schedule is 62 games (2 games vs all the others), and the Cup competition guarantees another 6 for all teams, that’s 68 games of gate revenue. The 16 teams who advance out of group play will all have 70-80 games total played depending on how far they advance. The other 16 will have a delta of 12-14 games compared to how things are now. But that’s not a lot of games to figure out an equitable solution, especially if the cup competition brings additional tv revenue from another network contract.

You can maybe do 4 groups of 8 teams geographically instead of 4 team groups and everyone gets 14 Cup games in group play guaranteed. Now you’re up to 76 games guaranteed per team. Then revenue share the gate revenue.

Bingo. A way more exciting NHL calendar year that’s unique and better than any other North American team sport.

97% of NHL and NBA fans aren't going to care about goofy Euro style tournament's and Cup's during the regular season, it's all about the Stanley Cup or winning the NBA Finals. No one cares who wins the Presidents Trophy why would anyone care about the "Insert Sponsor Name" Cup?

As for the NHL possibly going back to playing more "regional rivalries" won't teams like Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Arizona and Anaheim, try to block it? Those teams need the Penguins, Rangers, Bruins, Flyers, Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Wild fans buying tickets.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
Like I said, FA Cup won’t work for numerous reasons. Needs to be a World Cup/champions league group play format.

If your league schedule is 62 games (2 games vs all the others), and the Cup competition guarantees another 6 for all teams, that’s 68 games of gate revenue. The 16 teams who advance out of group play will all have 70-80 games total played depending on how far they advance. The other 16 will have a delta of 12-14 games compared to how things are now. But that’s not a lot of games to figure out an equitable solution, especially if the cup competition brings additional tv revenue from another network contract.

I dont see how this makes fans in Indianapolis or Louisville watch though. Its exciting for current fans, yes.

I do agree that playing 84 games just to eliminate 16 teams is ridiculously stupid. The NBA plays 82 games to eliminate only 10 teams. Just too many games with no meaning and we know they're never doing promotion/relegation so both leagues definitely need something else during their marathon meaningless regular seasons. Cup competitions could be the answer, but again, I dont think it grows the game.

97% of NHL and NBA fans aren't going to care about goofy Euro style tournament's and Cup's during the regular season, it's all about the Stanley Cup or winning the NBA Finals. No one cares who wins the Presidents Trophy why would anyone care about the "Insert Sponsor Name" Cup?

As for the NHL possibly going back to playing more "regional rivalries" won't teams like Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Arizona and Anaheim, try to block it? Those teams need the Penguins, Rangers, Bruins, Flyers, Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Wild fans buying tickets.

Tell that to the NBA, which is beginning their cup competition next year. We can debate the format. I'm not a fan but there could be worse ideas. But it does make the regular season a little more exciting.

Tell that to the NBA, which is beginning their cup competition next year. We can debate the format. I'm not a fan but there could be worse ideas. But it does make the regular season a little more exciting.

How does it make the regular season even a little more exciting? I live in Detroit and the Pistons playing in the Kia Cup tournament is going to sell more tickets or draw more viewers. Now, if the Pistons were somehow in the playoff hunt next year more people would show up and watch on tv.

Say the NHL does something similar, would any team that won the Enterprise Rent-a-Car Cup even want to touch the thing?

I’m with you, in that it sounds foreign. And all change is met with resistance. That’s human nature. But an opportunity to win a 2nd championship, and making every game played of relative importance is good for the game, attendance, and tv ratings.

SMF is right that it might not draw fans from Indy or Tulsa, but it will make people like me who grew up with the game, watch every game with intent. Heck, I’d probably even watch a game between Calgary and Vancouver…and I haven’t done that in 30 years. I have the ESPN+ app and can’t say I’ve ever used it for NHL. That’s because the games mean nothing to me in the current NHL. There are millions of people like me who enjoy the sport but won’t go out their way to watch regular season games.

Regular seasons are stale, dull and often unexciting. Even the Penguins are experiencing thousands of empty seats. A creative schedule overhaul would infuse life into every game from October-June.

How does it make the regular season even a little more exciting? I live in Detroit and the Pistons playing in the Kia Cup tournament is going to sell more tickets or draw more viewers. Now, if the Pistons were somehow in the playoff hunt next year more people would show up and watch on tv.

Say the NHL does something similar, would any team that won the Enterprise Rent-a-Car Cup even want to touch the thing?
The players absolutely would.

And for fans, you don’t think a game vs Anaheim on a Tuesday night would be more exciting if it meant advancing in a tourney, or it carried more weight in the NHL regular season because the league schedule is 2/3rds the size? The playoff chase would be more thrilling because every point is more meaningful. Every goal matters more.

I’m with you, in that it sounds foreign. And all change is met with resistance. That’s human nature. But an opportunity to win a 2nd championship, and making every game played of relative importance is good for the game, attendance, and tv ratings.

SMF is right that it might not draw fans from Indy or Tulsa, but it will make people like me who grew up with the game, watch every game with intent. Heck, I’d probably even watch a game between Calgary and Vancouver…and I haven’t done that in 30 years. I have the ESPN+ app and can’t say I’ve ever used it for NHL. That’s because the games mean nothing to me in the current NHL. There are millions of people like me who enjoy the sport but won’t go out their way to watch regular season games.

Regular seasons are stale, dull and often unexciting. Even the Penguins are experiencing thousands of empty seats. A creative schedule overhaul would infuse life into every game from October-June.
Fans like you are why I said 97% of fans won't care, there's a small subset who'll watch but a massive majority won't.

The players absolutely would.

And for fans, you don’t think a game vs Anaheim on a Tuesday night would be more exciting if it meant advancing in a tourney, or it carried more weight in the NHL regular season because the league schedule is 2/3rds the size? The playoff chase would be more thrilling because every point is more meaningful. Every goal matters more.
Players won't even touch a trophy that isn't the Stanley Cup, the only way they'll care is if the prize money is massive. The 2nd championship will be a punchline for the team that wins it but doesn't win the Stanley Cup or NBA Finals, we'd all be dunking on the Caps and their fans if they win the Fan Duel Cup and then get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

Let's stop using Soccer as the model for all sports. Like it is so much better. Plus, those bastards, do they even have an off season? It is like Golf.

Players won't even touch a trophy that isn't the Stanley Cup, the only way they'll care is if the prize money is massive. The 2nd championship will be a punchline for the team that wins it but doesn't win the Stanley Cup or NBA Finals, we'd all be dunking on the Caps and their fans if they win the Fan Duel Cup and then get swept in the first round of the playoffs.
Well I won’t tell you you’re wrong. But I will respectfully disagree. At first a North American cup will be a novelty and will be fun. And then in time it will be coveted and respected. Every franchise wants to collect trophies and hang banners. And it’s not like it’s a CBI banner. They’re still competing against other NHL teams for it. But what this does is also make the NHL league regular season more interesting. Because let’s face it, right now not many people do find it interesting.

Let's stop using Soccer as the model for all sports. Like it is so much better. Plus, those bastards, do they even have an off season? It is like Golf.
Let’s pretend soccer doesn’t exist. Let’s just do it because this format is so much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT