ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL Playoffs

Yes. It sucks that a lot of them were mismatches. However all that remain are going to be a lot of fun particularly Pens/Caps Predators/Jets. I’m surprised NJ didn’t put up a bigger fight against TB but experience means a whole lot.

It's funny as this was one of the tightest playoff races, but you are right, when push came to shove, there were alot of pretenders. The Semis look really interesting though. SJ/Vegas, Nville/Winnipeg and Pens/Caps and Bolts/Bos or Tor. All have the makings of long, tight series.

LOL i called you a yinzer, is that really offensive? you got really pissy over nothing hence me calling you a yinzer

you said the caps should make a major retool if they don't win this year, well how do you retool a team that is finishing the regular season in first place every year and seems to have the worst luck possible in the playoffs? when you dominate play but the goalie stinks what can be done?

the caps completely outplayed and dictated the pace against the pens last year in the series, but their vezina goalie didn't show up so what should they do? trade a vezina winner? they benched him for the start of the playoffs, the new goalie sucked so they went back to him, it's a tough situation for them

i'm still wondering how ovechkin gets the blame when he always shows up in the playoffs, if anything it's backstrom that disappoints

I got all pissy? You might want to reread the thread.

I responded to someone else, not even you, that Ovechkin doesn't realize there are two ends of the ice.

You responded that people said the same thing about Mario.

I disputed that saying Mario played both ends of the ice and definitely did so in the playoffs and that comparison was nonsense. That is literally almost word for word what I said. If that is getting all pissy then I am not sure what to tell you.

You responded by calling me a yinzer again using it be a child and name call. It certainly wasn't meant to be a compliment so stop acting like a victim. You said multiple dumb things and were called out for it.

-Worst luck possible.... dominates play... Goalie stinks.... blah blah blah... The Pens have won 9 out 10 series against the Capitals in Playoff history. That is not luck. Stop it you sound dumb beyond belief. If you want to look at bad luck, look at the Pens stretch from 2011-2015 regarding injuries. That is bad luck. Getting beat series after series is not bad luck.

-As for major rebuild to a team winning regular season titles but loses in the playoffs.... I say absolutely yes to that. If they can't win in the playoffs you have to change things up. They haven't got past the 2nd round since Ovechkin has been there. Maybe they do this year but if they don't then I absolutely do change things up if I were running the team. Doesn't mean I trade Ovechkin but I certainly change pieces around him. You think the Pens team today is the same team that was losing from 2010 through 2015 in the playoffs? They went out and added pieces like Cole, Schultz, Daley, Cullen, Kessell, and so on.

Lastly, you keep referring to Ovechkin's offensive numbers. Not one person has disputed that anywhere. Not one person. Ovechkin is a dominant offensive player. He is one of the best goal scorers of all time. Not one person is disputing that. And I don't think one person has stated he is the reason they haven't advanced. That clearly is not the case. But there are 2 ends of the ice and his play at one end of the ice doesn't negate the other end.

But you can have the last word. I am not going to debate this any longer. You clearly have a thing for Ovechkin and think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread and is above any and all criticism.

Reactions: ratking17
It's funny as this was one of the tightest playoff races, but you are right, when push came to shove, there were alot of pretenders. The Semis look really interesting though. SJ/Vegas, Nville/Winnipeg and Pens/Caps and Bolts/Bos or Tor. All have the makings of long, tight series.

I didn't think Toronto would give Boston this kind of series. I thought Boston would win in 5 or 6.

Will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

I didn't think Toronto would give Boston this kind of series. I thought Boston would win in 5 or 6.

Will be interesting to see what happens tonight.
Agree. Boston scares me more than anyone else. But Bergeron out and now playing obviously hurt is akin to Malkin being out for the B’s

If they don't win this year, especially if they lose before the East finals, I don't see how they keep this team intact and especially don't see Trotz coming back.

It would be a tough call for sure though. Do you continue to keep a team together that wins Division titles on a yearly basis that fails in the playoffs or break it down and retool the team. Break down parts of team while keeping Ovechkin, Backstrom, etc..

Tough call.

Easy call sports talk here in DC seems to think if they bow out before the Cup finals Trotz is gone. Then no doubt some off season moves will be made and would have to be. Listening to CAPS fans here in DC everyday as a Pens fan is priceless there is never any shortage of dumb callers who think hanging METRO champs banners year after year means anything.

yeah trade the best players for prospects that MAYBE become just as good 5 years from now

brilliant...

you were probably one of those people that was saying trade crosby or malkin from 2013 - 2015

Difference is the PENS are owned by one of the best players to ever lace up skates and knows the game and knows what it takes to win 4 series in a row the Craps are owned by big fat slob Ted who loves hanging President trophy banners and METRO champs banners and slob Ovi's knob because he scores 40% of his goals on the PP. Sid is a leader Ovi is not thats why the Pens dominate the Craps

Reactions: PittCity
No meltdown on this side. Just calling your stupidity out for trying to insinuate things I am saying when I never said them. And for the record YOU started the name calling saying we were too stupid and were jock sniffers because we showed how dumb your stance was.

You tried saying I said trade Ovechkin and insinuated I was dumb for suggesting it. I showed where I never said that proving you wrong.
You brought up that I somehow discounted Ovechkin's goal scoring when in fact I said the exact opposite that he was one of the best goal scorers of all time.

I said the people saying Mario never played defense were clueless. You seem to be the one building your argument on what "people" said.

Again, no meltdown at all here. If you think proving someone wrong on what they are saying is a meltdown then so be it.

Can't ever win an argument with a fool. He'll have some excuse why Ovi and the Craps fail again but he'll have the 50 goal scorer t shirt and METRO banner ceremony to attend this fall

We are down Geno and Hagelin for Game 1. May want to pump the breaks. This is a game where Murray needs to lock it down and shine.

Took an extra game but Pens finish business today without Malkin.

Maybe two extra games?

Don't you think the PENS should have finished off the " Broad Street" Cheap Shot, Philly Flyer Bums, with Beer Can Throwing loser fans in four games??

Two home losses for the PENS which is where they play their best!

No alot of technical hockey stuff in this post but thats just the way it goes?

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
We are down Geno and Hagelin for Game 1. May want to pump the breaks. This is a game where Murray needs to lock it down and shine.

Agree if no Malkin all series we don't win this one and we need Hags on the PK. If Murray can steal one in DC and get us home even I'll be happy but have to play much much better at home to move on

Crazy stat... Pens have won 9 of last 10 series against Caps. 8 of those 9 series wins have started with the Capitals winning Game 1.

Obviously don't want to lose game 1 but without Geno and Haglin it will be a challenge for sure.

Really just pointing out how weird that stat is.

You implied that Lemieux didn’t play defense like Ovechkin didn’t play defense. I shouldn’t have to connect the dots for you.

no i didn't, i was saying people were wrong about ovechkin just like mario

there i connected the dots for you

it amazes me how you guys talk hockey when you don't watch unless it's the pens playing

if anze kopitar came to your house holding up a sign saying "i'm anze kopitar" you still would have no clue who he is

I got all pissy? You might want to reread the thread.

this was your quote

"
Mario played both ends and he definitely did in the playoffs.

Stop with that nonsense comparison."

i consider that to be pissy, and your name calling is just further proof, guy crying about being called "yinzer" LOL

I responded to someone else, not even you, that Ovechkin doesn't realize there are two ends of the ice.

You responded that people said the same thing about Mario.

I disputed that saying Mario played both ends of the ice and definitely did so in the playoffs and that comparison was nonsense. That is literally almost word for word what I said. If that is getting all pissy then I am not sure what to tell you.

You responded by calling me a yinzer again using it be a child and name call. It certainly wasn't meant to be a compliment so stop acting like a victim. You said multiple dumb things and were called out for it.

the comparison exists whether you think so or whether it's true or not

i said nothing dumb, you're just pissed i ruined your day by calling you "yinzer"

-Worst luck possible.... dominates play... Goalie stinks.... blah blah blah... The Pens have won 9 out 10 series against the Capitals in Playoff history. That is not luck. Stop it you sound dumb beyond belief. If you want to look at bad luck, look at the Pens stretch from 2011-2015 regarding injuries. That is bad luck. Getting beat series after series is not bad luck.

there you go again with the insults, to think calling you "yinzer" has that affect on you i wonder how you handle the real world LOL

i was talking about last year, and the pens had horrible goaltending too during 2010 - 2015, i'm sure you will now go into a tirade over me criticizing everybody's favorite nice guy fleury

the caps did dominate play last year, maybe watch the games instead of just looking at the final score

-As for major rebuild to a team winning regular season titles but loses in the playoffs.... I say absolutely yes to that. If they can't win in the playoffs you have to change things up. They haven't got past the 2nd round since Ovechkin has been there. Maybe they do this year but if they don't then I absolutely do change things up if I were running the team. Doesn't mean I trade Ovechkin but I certainly change pieces around him. You think the Pens team today is the same team that was losing from 2010 through 2015 in the playoffs? They went out and added pieces like Cole, Schultz, Daley, Cullen, Kessell, and so on.

the pens aren't winning cups because of the guys you listed other than kessel, it's the coach, better health, and better goaltending

the caps role players were better than the pens, the vezina winner was horrible

Lastly, you keep referring to Ovechkin's offensive numbers. Not one person has disputed that anywhere. Not one person. Ovechkin is a dominant offensive player. He is one of the best goal scorers of all time. Not one person is disputing that. And I don't think one person has stated he is the reason they haven't advanced. That clearly is not the case. But there are 2 ends of the ice and his play at one end of the ice doesn't negate the other end.

he's nowhere near as bad defensively as you like to think

But you can have the last word. I am not going to debate this any longer. You clearly have a thing for Ovechkin and think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread and is above any and all criticism

i have no thing for ovechkin, it's you that can't handle me putting him in the same sentence as mario you YINZER

Difference is the PENS are owned by one of the best players to ever lace up skates and knows the game and knows what it takes to win 4 series in a row the Craps are owned by big fat slob Ted who loves hanging President trophy banners and METRO champs banners and slob Ovi's knob because he scores 40% of his goals on the PP. Sid is a leader Ovi is not thats why the Pens dominate the Craps

you're saying being a great player and having a fit physique makes a great owner?

the leader is sullivan, not crosby

Crazy stat... Pens have won 9 of last 10 series against Caps. 8 of those 9 series wins have started with the Capitals winning Game 1.

Obviously don't want to lose game 1 but without Geno and Haglin it will be a challenge for sure.

Really just pointing out how weird that stat is.

Yep

I think it is both. Never undersell Crosby. Just like I never would undersell Lemieux.

crosby was easily baited under bylsma, the team barely made the playoffs with mike johnston and were on pace to be a bottom feeder early in the 2016 season

suddenly sullivan shows up and the team is the best in the league and crosby ignores the nonsense from bums trying to knock him off his game

the clear leader is mike sullivan

crosby was easily baited under bylsma, the team barely made the playoffs with mike johnston and were on pace to be a bottom feeder early in the 2016 season

suddenly sullivan shows up and the team is the best in the league and crosby ignores the nonsense from bums trying to knock him off his game

the clear leader is mike sullivan

Do you have to argue everything? What about in 2008 and 2009?

no i didn't, i was saying people were wrong about ovechkin just like mario

there i connected the dots for you

it amazes me how you guys talk hockey when you don't watch unless it's the pens playing

if anze kopitar came to your house holding up a sign saying "i'm anze kopitar" you still would have no clue who he is
He’s a champion because he plays two ways

Anyone watching the Boston-Toronto game? WOW! Former Pens prospect Kapanen breaks the goaltender to score on a short-handed breakaway. One of the best plays/goals I've seen of the playoffs. Leafs up by 1!

Reactions: PittCity
Anyone watching the Boston-Toronto game? WOW! Former Pens prospect Kapanen breaks the goaltender to score on a short-handed breakaway. One of the best plays/goals I've seen of the playoffs. Leafs up by 1!

It's been an exciting game ...... Toronto up 4-3 end of 2nd period ..... would be nice if Toronto could pull the upset .... long way to go !

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Do you have to argue everything? What about in 2008 and 2009?

what's wrong? can't handle somebody not agreeing with everything you say?

i'm not accusing anybody of being a bad leader, i'm saying the leader of this team is mike sullivan, crosby became a different person when he came on board

btw here are the crosby and ovechkin playoff stats head to head, for those that say ovechkin sucks in the playoffs

Ovechkin: 12 G, 14 A, 26 points in 20 games
Crosby: 10 G, 12 A, 22 points in 19 games

yeah yeah crosby's "two way game", that's the difference in winning the series LOL

What is the strangest thing is to join a pitt panther message board simply to argue for oveckin in one hockey thread. Really bizarre

i'm not accusing anybody of being a bad leader, i'm saying the leader of this team is mike sullivan, crosby became a different person when he came on board

btw here are the crosby and ovechkin playoff stats head to head, for those that say ovechkin sucks in the playoffs

yeah yeah crosby's "two way game", that's the difference in winning the series LOL

I am not on the "Ovy Sucks" wagon. But I do know this, Sid has 3 Cups and 3 Gold Medals, Ovy has zero. That is not all on the individual, but again as I pointed out, Ovy's teams haven't been devoid of talent either. But Center's drive more of the play, faceoffs, 200 foot defensive game, puck possesion. It is why they will always be more valued than wings. Though Ovy's one timer as executed that last game is practically unstoppable when he gets it.

Crosby been to 4 Stanley cup finals with 3 cups
3 Olympic golds

Just a coincidence and bad luck for alex.

You’re arguing stupid, even by your standards, hobo

Crosby been to 4 Stanley cup finals with 3 cups
3 Olympic golds

Just a coincidence and bad luck for alex.

You’re arguing stupid, even by your standards, hobo

Mind boggling that he continues to dig his ditch even bigger but whatever... We are just yinzers.....

So looking at their counting offensive statistics tells you the story of their two way game? Hell of a hockey expert we have here.

Dbt1YOzWkAASAoC.jpg
Lets Go Pens!!!

Reactions: CCHS82
If im a crapitals fan, im shaking my cranium thinking what went wrong in the 3rd period?

Last edited:

See the ovie lazy back check play, end up on sid’s Stick to tie the game?

That’s the point.

ADVERTISEMENT