ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Oakland Crossings

Of course there is opposition to new development in Oakland....we're such a forward thinking bunch

Yeah, I'm at the point where I couldn't care less if all of Oakland between the Boulevard, Dawson, and Pitt is leveled in the name of progress for the university. The NIMBYs (and the city) have stood in the way of progress for too long.

Look if they were trying to use eminent domain to steal people's homes in Oakland, I would feel differently. But pretty sure the developer owns all or nearly all of the land to be developed and will purchase anything else it needs on the market. And their plan calls for low-income housing, a grocery store....like how is this harming the community??

Slum lords don't wanna give up their cash cows in Oakland. 😏
The slumlords are the ones who want to do this project, tbh. Walnut’s current Oakland properties are some of the worst in the neighborhood. I’m not a huge OPDC guy, but I wouldn’t blame anyone for being a little suspicious of Walnut Capital considering the condition they keep their current properties in.

I think I see the new stadium in one of those pics. Just look closely.

I hope this development isn't a fake little town that is expensive and then in 10 years nobody cares. The grocery store won't work unless average income people can shop there.

https://triblive.com/local/developer-looks-to-transform-oakland-with-grocery-store-green-space/

Some renderings of the new development. Looks like there will be a pedestrian bridge over the Blvd of the Allies. I can't tell what that weirdly patterned open space is...I think that is just the roadway and not the pedestrian bridge? And I think the large building is just the hotel with a new facade?

All of South Oakland needs bought, demolished, and rebuilt.

https://triblive.com/local/developer-looks-to-transform-oakland-with-grocery-store-green-space/

Some renderings of the new development. Looks like there will be a pedestrian bridge over the Blvd of the Allies. I can't tell what that weirdly patterned open space is...I think that is just the roadway and not the pedestrian bridge? And I think the large building is just the hotel with a new facade?
Leave it to the "Community" group to bag on this plan, talking about the fabric of the community.....which down at Bates and Blvd of the Allies is little more than a sh*t hole....and it was back in the late 70's and 80's when I lived down there in 3 different apartments......

“transform a section of Oakland into a world class gateway and desirable neighborhood for all income levels.”

Absolutely all world class gateways and neighborhoods have stadiums for all income levels.

Hey, there was proposal to build Three Rivers over the Mon. They should propose building our new stadium over the boulevard 😅.

All of South Oakland needs bought, demolished, and rebuilt.
Not sure if you meant the literal South Oakland as defined by the city( south of Blvd of the Allies which is I think a nice enclave of some of the last well maintained family-oriented housing in Oakland) -- or South Oakland as students generally define it (south of Forbes, like all the incredibly shitty slumlord owned rentals on Atwood et al.)

I obviously have a higher opinion of the former than the later. It never should have gotten to this point with the run down properties owned by people like Nexus, Lobos, etc.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Not sure if you meant the literal South Oakland as defined by the city( south of Blvd of the Allies which is I think a nice enclave of some of the last well maintained family-oriented housing in Oakland) -- or South Oakland as students generally define it (south of Forbes, like all the incredibly shitty slumlord owned rentals on Atwood et al.)

I obviously have a higher opinion of the former than the later. It never should have gotten to this point with the run down properties owned by people like Nexus, Lobos, etc.

Agreed. Actual South Oakland south of the Blvd is pretty nice and I'd imagine it would be even nicer (meaning less students, more long term residents) if Central Oakland wasn't so lousy.

The South Oakland as students define it. From Oakland Ave to McKee should be razed and rebuilt

I drove through Morgantown last week. It is absolutely amazing if you guys know "Sunnyside" what they have done the past 5-7 years tearing down all of the "slum housing' and replacing it with like towering student condominiums.

Leave it to the "Community" group to bag on this plan, talking about the fabric of the community.....which down at Bates and Blvd of the Allies is little more than a sh*t hole....and it was back in the late 70's and 80's when I lived down there in 3 different apartments......
The community group is a bunch of buffoons. This plan should be viewed as a salvation. They want to take some of the worst housing and worst infrastructure and turn it into some of the better housing and best infrastructure. What the hell is wrong with that?

The community group is a bunch of buffoons. This plan should be viewed as a salvation. They want to take some of the worst housing and worst infrastructure and turn it into some of the better housing and best infrastructure. What the hell is wrong with that?
Yinzers.

It's seems weird to me that Pitt is converting the hotel into non student apartments.

Agreed. Actual South Oakland south of the Blvd is pretty nice and I'd imagine it would be even nicer (meaning less students, more long term residents) if Central Oakland wasn't so lousy.
Yeah, there is an enclave of decent residential properties up around Parkview before you cross the bridge into Schenley Park, otherwise it's generally rather blighted.

One question I have is what does the Oakland Development Corp actually want to happen? They are against new development, but what is their idea?

One question I have is what does the Oakland Development Corp actually want to happen? They are against new development, but what is their idea?

I kind of get the feeling some of them wished Pitt didn't exist. Then their neighborhood would become an actual giant slum.

I could be wrong but I think this developer did this project also...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT