ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Off Topic threads

LCFP79

Scholarship
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2009
If you scan down the threads on the football board most of them are off-topic. Even a lot of threads not listed as OT are OT. But this time of year OT threads keep the board active (even if some get nasty). Which is nice I guess and probably why they're not relegated unless they get really bad.

And I'm glad these threads are here. I think they serve a worthwhile purpose, even on a football message board. Especially in these controversial times. The board is obviously made up of people with wildly divergent views about Pickett, Duzz, stadiums etc and also painfully divergent views about COVID and politics. Which I guess is good. Diversity is good. And these topics can be dangerous.

I'm not much of a user of social media so I don't get a chance to and really don't want to argue my opinions and philosophies with anonymous others, trolls or bots. And I've learned to not argue those points in person. The few times I've gotten into it with someone has led to hard feelings, frustration, strained relationships and even marital discord (and apologizing, flowers etc). If your wife, family and fellow workers are all on the same wavelength with you you're lucky.

Even though this board is (mostly) anonymous, after years of reading it you get a feel for the regulars like they are almost acquaintances. But it's distanced enough to be kind of a safe zone where opposing views can't get you into much trouble. The people on these message boards are used to disagreeing with each other and calling each other out, challenging them, calling them inventive and derogatory names. Many of you have well defined adversaries who can be counted on to angrily chime in at the count of 3, 2, 1 --

But you guys and gals are (at least semi-) professionals at controversy. If at times things get too heated you usually seem to be able to calm down and try to restart topics using logic and sometimes accurate but often erroneous or fudged data to regain the high ground.

The thing about it is, I think yunz have a level of respect for each other which is missing in most other forms of social media. You're a dysfunctional family but still a family with family ties. That stops things from going totally overboard and becoming useless. Usually. And I think the constant battle has helped opposing factions sharpen their arguments and even helped them learn a few things they didn't know, and wouldn't learn from whichever one-sided media channel they prefer.

That's why I come back daily. You guys pi## me off then make me laugh. And I get to argue with you even if only in my head. And no flowers need to be purchased.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT