ADVERTISEMENT

OT: On this day in Pittsburgh Sports History, 1970...

I'm in that photo, was there with my Father and have the ticket stubs to prove it.
SCAN%2BThree%2BRivers%2B7%253A16%253A70%2BTicket%2B2.jpeg

It's like a TI-03 calculator today but as a kid, at my first game there circa 1974, man was that scoreboard the coolest thing

Reactions: HOF Coach
Fine for football, horrible sight lines for baseball.
I don't think the sight lines for football were that much better than the they were for baseball. They both sucked, IMO.

I saw the one and only Supercross in Pittsburgh, at Three Rivers in 1978, and it was the only sporting event I saw at that stadium that filled the field.

$8.00 each got us front row seats at the Start / Finish line in what would have been the outfield for baseball.

Fun Fact: The producers of the race didn't have a provision in the contract to remove the dirt after the race, and Three Rivers / The Pirates refused to remove it (until they had to, to resume the Pirates schedule). May rains soon turned it to mud that Three Rivers had a horrible time getting out.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I found a Youtube video of the event (lots of puddles already), and of them building the track.

Bob Hannah was my favorite rider, and he won. I was so disappointed to learn that Pittsburgh would refuse to allow Supercross to come back to Three Rivers after that.

After the race footage, at around the 2:00 mark it shows them putting a tarp over the baseball field; followed by plywood and a layer of clear plastic stapled to it.

If memory serves me right, the baseball field was ruined, and had to be replaced.

Last edited:
I saw the one and only Supercross in Pittsburgh, at Three Rivers in 1978, and it was the only sporting event I saw at that stadium that filled the field.

$8.00 each got us front row seats at the Start / Finish line in what would have been the outfield for baseball.

Fun Fact: The producers of the race didn't have a provision in the contract to remove the dirt after the race, and Three Rivers / The Pirates refused to remove it (until they had to, to resume the Pirates schedule). May rains soon turned it to mud that Three Rivers had a horrible time getting out.

I don't recall the exact position title, but I remember the guy overseeing stadium operations at the time was named Walter Golby. Myron Cope (as only he could) dubbed the resulting mess of the stadium surface the "Golby Desert".

Pretty cool to see USX under construction in those pictures.

Great football venue, wish it was still around. Terrible for baseball as all of those cookie cutters were.

I miss the football games when they parked those cars near the end zone. And you'll notice the first game ticket has no date. Were subsequent tickets dated?

Those who thought Three Rivers was bad should have experienced municipal stadium in Cleveland. Just a gross place.

Since Three Rivers was the stadium when I first was brought to games by my family as a kid, I'll never think too badly of it. Objectively, it mostly pales in comparison to those that replaced it, but had a couple advantages too. In particular, leg room vs. Heinz.

Those who thought Three Rivers was bad should have experienced municipal stadium in Cleveland. Just a gross place.

Since Three Rivers was the stadium when I first was brought to games by my family as a kid, I'll never think too badly of it. Objectively, it mostly pales in comparison to those that replaced it, but had a couple advantages too. In particular, leg room vs. Heinz.
I went to a MNF game in Cleveland in 1981 (vs. SD), most disgusting stadium ever! Bathrooms with cracked orange walls and water dripping from the ceiling! I sat in the Dog Pound with friends from Cleveland and didn't talk about being a Steelers fan, I had fun and was maybe the only one happy that SD and Fouts won 38-7.

LEG ROOM! That's a persistent theme! Just like on airplanes, that's something they have cut since the 70s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT