ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Patrick Mahomes just received the richest contract in sports history

When all the details come out Mike Trout's $426 million contract will almost certainly be a better deal. Because if Trout gets hit by a bus tomorrow and never plays baseball ever again he'll still get every penny of that $426 million, whereas a very large percentage of Mahomes' contract will not be guaranteed, so if he get hurt or his performance drops he won't see all that money.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Spending 45M on one player with the team capped at 198M is crazy!
Roughly $3m per start for the next 10 years for the best QB to come along in years is probably the better way to look at it. He’s well worth it, relative to the wealth and revenue generated by the league.

Good for him but odds are he is going to get hurt in the next 2-3 years due to his style of play.

Spending 45M on one player with the team capped at 198M is crazy!

It's 22% of the current cap, which would be a league high, but keep in mind that the cap historically goes up. For example, the cap is up 66% over 10 years and 45% over 5 years. I'm sure that his salary "floats" which expected increases in the cap so that it's not currently 22%.

We shall see! My point is that teams usually do not succeed with one play making 23% of the total. That leaves 153 for 52 players.

It's 22% of the current cap, which would be a league high, but keep in mind that the cap historically goes up. For example, the cap is up 66% over 10 years and 45% over 5 years. I'm sure that his salary "floats" which expected increases in the cap so that it's not currently 22%.

We shall see! My point is that teams usually do not succeed with one play making 23% of the total. That leaves 153 for 52 players.

Eh. People say this every time a QB gets a big new deal. Yet the Packers, Seahawks, Saints, and Vikings seem to make the playoffs a lot with their expensive QBs (and we would have if Ben had been healthy).

Kelce, Frank Clark, and Honey Badger are all signed beyond 2020. Tyreek might take a lower deal because of his disciplinary issues. They have 5 fairly cheap years of control of Edwards-Helaire and they'll chuck him when he's 27. They might lose a guy here or there but I would rather have Mahomes and a replacement-level DT than Ndamukong Suh and a replacement level-QB.

The sentence

"It includes $477 in guarantee mechanisms and the ability for Mahomes to have outs if guarantee mechanisms aren’t exercised. "

means that he doesn't have anywhere close to $477 million guaranteed.

Reactions: pittdan77

This is why I was saying not to overreact. Mahomes's $ is $5,000,00 in 2020; $25,000,000 next year and $31,000,000 in 2022. Those are very manageable numbers for a 24 year old MVP and Super Bowl winner.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT